Three Hundred Miles Per Hour

• Thread starter Dark Elite
  • 7,722 comments
Tuning tips:

1. Tune your car to go as fast as possible without nitrous (eg, so far my Minolta has so far got up to 470.72km/h [292mph] without help from nitrous).

2. Then add nitrous. I got the 550.4km/h (341.86) on the third run.

If you just start with nitrous you'll miss out on lots of little tweaks that make a big difference to its ultimate speed. Think of it this way: a 'nitrous' car spends about two-thirds of a top speed run in 'non-nitrous' mode, before you nail it on the final straight. So the difference in the final result actually depends a lot on how fast you can make it go in non-nitrous mode. What speed is your car doing before you hit the nitrous? The answer to that question makes all the difference at the end of the straight.

The Minolta could go faster. I only spent a lunchbreak on all this, just so I could see what all this fuss about nitrous is about. Another hour or so of fiddling with settings will do wonders. Maybe it might even get past 300mph without needing nitrous. That'll make it the second car after the Chaparral 2D to get past 300 without nitrous. That has so far got up to 303.65mph, or 488.88km/h.

Attachments

• Minolta 550.jpg
    Minolta 550.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 37
Erm... I don't think the Chaparral 2D has got past 300mph yet... In fact I'm pretty sure Toronado's stopped at about 298. If anyone can correct me, ie if yours did Ozmac?

1989therat, that speed is not all the car can do, by any means : Just take a Zonda and thrash it some more to get about 305 out of it.

Ozmac, that's what I have been doing all along, I try to avoid nitrous wherever possible, but even so you've managed to blow couttsey's secret totally! Now everyone here will be getting high 340s and even 350s! You still didn't beat Lord of Speed couttsey though :D.

EDIT - Sorry to be annoying, but please change the units to miles per hour for speed testing here. Thanks.

DE

The annoying thing about my nitrous-free 303.65 mph Chaparral 2D top speed is that a good mate of mine, who lives not far away, and with whom I have a permanent competition going re Test Course and top speed, has managed to get his Chaparral going just a bit faster, and I can't yet figure out how he's done it. So, don't think this is the fastest time possible with the Chaparral 2D, as I know I'm not even the fastest guy in my own suburb!

As for the Minolta time, when I get another hour or two to spare I'll see what I can come up with, using nitrous. Something over 350mph would be a nice target to aim for, I reckon.

eddie, do you see now why i said to hell with the NSX...i mean, i thought you of all people could at the least beat my speed, after all, you did totally anialate me in the nardo race.....but i didnt think i had it down that well with that POS nsx...i didnt even think i was that good...but hey, i guess i am....you havny been hearing much from me because i recently bought another memory card, and have started an all aspec game...i dunno...i may do some fiddling with my good game....

DE....maybe you should just list the members of the 300mph club and not the cars they used with their names....just a thought man, anyway im out...peace all, oh and M5 dude....I havnt heard of any deaths due to hurricane katrina in mobile...so i do beleive your friends and family hear are ok....we have been having trouble with our land line phone services though...and the cell towers got screwed fairly well, so bear that in mind....once again...peace :sly:

Thought I ought to confirm my 303.65 mph [488.88km/h] speed with a pic, but I boo booed and accidentally went faster in the Chaparral 2D: 303.76mph, which on the screen is 489.05km/h.

Attachments

• Chaparral.jpg
    Chaparral.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 28
damn ozmac, good job man....anyway, i decided i was going to try and beat coutseys record....but didnt end up doing that.....instead i ended up gooing 329.38 with the minolta, i feel i should be admitted in the club due to the fact nt many can make a minolta go this fast....no wheelie trick used....car never really got bumpy at all....heres the pic for confirmation of speed

Ozmac
Thought I ought to confirm my 303.65 mph [488.88km/h] speed with a pic, but I boo booed and accidentally went faster in the Chaparral 2D: 303.76mph, which on the screen is 489.05km/h.

Welcome Ozmac. :) How fast has your mate gone with the 2D? That's gotta be the oldest car capable of 300.

Low, no worries man. I'm a bit tied up at the moment too, done 2 rounds of the Formula GT champ, heading for 100%, plus the Black Beauties should be around soon after I've finished....

Another 30 minutes' worth of development time in the Minolta, and 344.14mph [554.07km/h on screen] already.

Got yer in my sights, Couttsey21... not far to go.

And as far as I can tell, isn't my Chaparral 2D still the ONLY non-nitrous car to make it past 300mph?

Attachments

• Minolta 344.jpg
    Minolta 344.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 18
he smuttneyspears, i've got 295,85mph with my srt-10. but at this speed i'm out of nos and the corner after the straight is also coming..... maybe i could make some improvement with changing the gear-setup or something. which tyres are you using?

Ozmac
And as far as I can tell, isn't my Chaparral 2D still the ONLY non-nitrous car to make it past 300mph?

Sure is. There can't be many that can, maybe the Minolta, but you seem some way off with that before you press the big red button.

To viperpilot,

i'm using R5's at the moment but i'm thinking of dropping down a few numbers.

:ouch: damn you on the top speed. I got some work to do now.
i still think it might be possible to the the magic 3 (its the magic number after all).
cheers.

How's this for an exclusive club?

300 mph no-nitrous - 1 member

350 mph with nitrous - 1 member (ie, 350.08 mph = 563.62km/h, as posted)

The secret to going fast is to work hard on the no-nitrous settings.

Sorry to say this, guys, but the 300mph club should not be open to nitrous-tuned cars.

Yep, the 350mph club could admit nitrous times.

So how about going back to the drawing board and re-thinking some of your go-fast theories?

Here's a couple of tips:

I used qualifying tyres at all times.

The 'tranny trick' is nonsense.

Thank you, and good night!

Attachments

• Minolta 350.jpg
    Minolta 350.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 42
'S gonna be a pretty lonely club... :) What happens when you want to go to the clubhouse to have a beer and talk over past glories?

"Hullo...o...o....o"

"Where is everyone...one...one..."

Don't worry, we like things as they are, thanks. :)

Fasteddie, you're quite right. I don't want the club becoming a huge mess of people, but I want even less for it to be empty...

Congratulations to the 300mph w/o nitrous.

Ozmac. Sorry, but using R5s all the time is the opposite of what should be done. R1s will produce a far, far greater top speed for the pure fact that they are super hard. R5s will slow you down but give more grip around the corners, meaning that R5s are to be used by people with less car control. No offence, just speaking my mind.
350 is a nice target, but...
Ozmac
1 member (ie, 350.08 mph = 563.62km/h, as posted)
Who was that, and posted where? As far as I know, couttsey still reigns.

Sorry for my distinct lack of posting & speeds, I'm running Skylines at the Nurb all the time now and school and homework and chores... I'm really short of time. So I'll now change myself from the 'Founder Member' to the 'Founder'. For now, my 300mph days are over.

*Still the second fastest person never to leave the ground*

DE

Sorry, I'm new to this Image Shack stuff. I thought my recent posts included thumbnails of the TV screens for my times. Well, that's how it looked on my screen. Just checked this site using another computer and they're not there. Oh well. Let's try again...

And about the tyres, I read the 'super hard' theory earlier and that's why I mentioned that I use qualifying tyres. I have the times to prove it.

Ozmac, again that really doesn't mean much to me... Could you please use MPH only so it's relative to everything else? Congrats on whatever speed it is :lol: and the Chaparral.

Toronado... What can I say man, I know how much work you put into the Chappie. Consolations my dear friend, for no matter how hard I tried with the TVR Speed 12 it was still a 295mph pig, and then several people do 300mph in it.

1989therat, well done. Now I'll try.

What I said earlier regarding stopping, stuff that - I just can't! Now my aim is not to de-throne couttsey but to de-throne 1989therat with the fastest road car. *goes to Italy*

DE

Oh, and BTW - I'm going to put a page on my site with the full membership of the 300mph club and the car they used and the speed they got and so on and so forth... That way my sig stays clear and we keep up with things!

DE said
"Ozmac, again that really doesn't mean much to me... Could you please use MPH only so it's relative to everything else?"

No, I like km/h! And each of my original posts above gave the equivalent speeds. ie,

489.05 km/h = 303.75mph (Chaparral)
563.62 km/h = 350.07 mph (Minolta)

Quite simple really. Divide km/h by 1.61, and you get mph.

If you don't have a calculator handy, you should. I always use a calculator to get my gearing ratios sorted out precisely. You need to do this to get every last ounce of speed out of any car. So if I end up encouraging you to use a calculator, I'm doing you a big tuning favour.

And commiserations, Toronado. As I said earlier in this thread, a mate of mine is still getting his Chaparral 2D to go quicker than me, and he also got to 300mph before I did. So I know how it feels to go really fast - and come second.

And for my final contribution before I head off for other threads, the Caddy Cien, just a pinch over 300mph.

As a parting goodwill gesture, I even changed over the settings to mph, for those without calculators.

Cheers

Oz, you really are evil. Totally evil, but you're good at it! Good job.

Ozzie
So I know how it feels to go really fast - and come second.
Yeah, but T had been trying for weeks to get the Chappie there. So now I pledge to ensure that he does! T, if you're reading this check your PM Inbox. I can't let you come so close and give up! See you Oz.

DE

um probally not....i actually fail to see the point in it....and i cant see wasting the time to up date a web site...that would be one huge list...

i dont see a problem with a post....but its not my call, that call is DE's....but i dont think he has the records of everyone anymore....i beleive he admits them and then forgets the records...the only records we have are only on this thread....but we may be able to salvage those as a start....but like i said, its DE's call, not mine...but i would like to make a suggestion to DE like you have...DE my suggestion is that along with the speed post, you should also post as to what cars have been used...it takes a while to go through and find out for yourself...just a suggestion though....your call, yet again....well, this is all for now, take it easy all....peace :sly:

Thanks for the respect lowizle.

What I intend to do is add a page on my website with the full list of all the speeds done. I'll use this thread to get them, because I never actually noted them anywhere else. And yep, it'll be one huge list so don't expect it anytime soon. A link will go in my sig once I've finished it.

Oh, and yes I will make a list of all the cars used Low, good idea.

DE

Back