Three second rule

• Thread starter oik01
  • 19 comments
This probably applies to my specific rating but I think a lot of other members are stuck in the same rating: DR B, SR S:

To make sure you are in top 8 look at the slowest top 10 time and add 3 seconds ( occasionally 4 is ok). If you get a hot lap within that time you will generally be okay. You should end up in top 8 consistently and be in top 5 a fair amount of time as well!

NO,, don't eat that skittle it hit the ground 4 seconds ago!. ;)

I think what you are saying is a good way to know if you know the combo well enough to compete, even at higher ratings.

not specifically a 3-second rule, but the concept is the same across all ratings.
Mine is to be within .5-1 second off the pace
An occassional Top 10 is also a welcome surprise :D
Usually good enough to put me in the top 5 most of the time

Are we talking top 5 globally or in a race? I consider anything under top 3 to be a personal failure and a guarantee for a ram fest . Although just for fun I don't poll and get to 2nd 3rd or 4th from dead last. This obviously killed my SR though.

Are we talking top 5 globally or in a race? I consider anything under top 3 to be a personal failure and a guarantee for a ram fest . Although just for fun I don't poll and get to 2nd 3rd or 4th from dead last. This obviously killed my SR though.
Top 5 in a race. I find the Top 5 usually clean, although top 3 is much cleaner. The moment we build a 1 second gap from 6th I can expect everything else to go well

The 3 second rule isn't working for me anymore. I'm within 3 sec and starting pretty much dead last. Being consistent on the Nurb 24 increased my DR too much to mid A (max SR). Now I'm getting matched with S to A drivers, yet even though I'm starting last, no chaos in the back, clean race bonus etc, yet still the occasional accident to avoid and seems to be the only way to pick up places. I can keep up with the back, yet not enough oomph to pass. My DR will settle down lower again.

Do good on one track, pay the price on the next. DR always lags behind. It would be more useful if it was kept per track.

I’m working nearer towards A now, I think things get rosier the higher you rise through each SR rating, more regularly starting near/at the front as you simply get better at the game.

I anticipate when I do into a full field of ‘A’s things will be different and I’ll be back in the pack, which is a challenge I’m looking forward to.

Getting to SS is my ultimate goal in GT.

The 3 second rule isn't working for me anymore. I'm within 3 sec and starting pretty much dead last. Being consistent on the Nurb 24 increased my DR too much to mid A (max SR). Now I'm getting matched with S to A drivers, yet even though I'm starting last, no chaos in the back, clean race bonus etc, yet still the occasional accident to avoid and seems to be the only way to pick up places. I can keep up with the back, yet not enough oomph to pass. My DR will settle down lower again.

Do good on one track, pay the price on the next. DR always lags behind. It would be more useful if it was kept per track.
In A rank I noticed that you have to be around 1-1.5 seconds off the pace for an upper midpack/frontpack position. Just my 2 cents
I’m working nearer towards A now, I think things get rosier the higher you rise through each SR rating, more regularly starting near/at the front as you simply get better at the game.

I anticipate when I do into a full field of ‘A’s things will be different and I’ll be back in the pack, which is a challenge I’m looking forward to.

SS exists?!

That rule has worked quite good for me from the start, however you should take the length of a specific track into consideration. If there is a 0:45s top-10-lap at Kyoto Miyabi, and you are 3s behind, you'll be dead last, even in B-S lobbies.
If you get a lap that's 3s behind on Nordschleife, you'll probably be somewhere near the top.

What I actually aim for is about 1-1.5s behind the top 10 per minute of laptime. That almost always gets me in a good position for the race, even with A-S drivers.

So using the above example, at Miyabi you should be around 0.75s-1s behind, on Nordschleife 8-12s behind.

How many days did it take you to get there? I've been trying to qualify using my 1.5 second rule but I'm still stuck in A :guilty:
Not me :lol: I'm B/B.

I didn't realise you were being facetious asking if SS exists. I thought you were suggesting there is an SS DR rating or something 👍

Not me :lol: I'm B/B.

I didn't realise you were being facetious asking if SS exists. I thought you were suggesting there is an SS DR rating or something 👍
Ahh :lol: Sorry, my mind decided to turn off for a moment. I legitimately thought he was referring to an SS DR rating :lol:
I get what it is now, thanks :)

I feel this is kind of opposite of how the rating system is supposed to work, unless you genuinely feel you’re SS skill/sportsman wise.

Me personally, I’m quite happy with BS. I feel it fits my overall skill and fits who I am as a person when not applying those letters to GTS:sly:

I feel this is kind of opposite of how the rating system is supposed to work, unless you genuinely feel you’re SS skill/sportsman wise.

Me personally, I’m quite happy with BS. I feel it fits my overall skill and fits who I am as a person when not applying those letters to GTS:sly:

My goal is to become good enough over time to be S/S. I too am a BS currently, but do I think I can improve enough to be in the SS rank eventually, absolutely!

Guess when I started to use this tactic [hidden] and bought Megane [/hidden] ?

graph.jpg

It’s a good rule but I guess it depends on your own rating.

When I qualify I tend to aim for around 0.5-1 seconds off the top10 initially so I can start racing asap. But quite often this only puts me 5th-10th on the grid.

After a few races (practice) I might go back to qually for a few more laps to shave off a few more 10ths. Hopefully then I’m always in top5 on the grid.

Last edited:
I rarely race the dailies anymore, between practicing for other events, or FIA races - but when I do race dailies, I hope to be within 1 second of the #1 time, if the lap is longer than 1:45 I hope to be within 1.5 seconds.

This probably applies to my specific rating but I think a lot of other members are stuck in the same rating: DR B, SR S:

To make sure you are in top 8 look at the slowest top 10 time and add 3 seconds ( occasionally 4 is ok). If you get a hot lap within that time you will generally be okay. You should end up in top 8 consistently and be in top 5 a fair amount of time as well!

I'm with you. If I can't get within 3 seconds of #10 on the leaderboard, I don't even enter the race

Back