Throwing away wins!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter EERIEISSSS
  • 16 comments
  • 2,276 views
You know that very very slight left kink at the end of Dragon Trail? The one that isn't even a corner?

Yeah I was pushing for the fastest lap, tried to use the kerb of that kink to minimise distance. Cut it too much, got a penalty that I couldn't slow down for and lost an easy win.

Also, a while ago but back on GT5 in a 20-30 minute league race at Deep Forest, I was leading comfortably but hit the kerb at the final corner too much, and I spun perfectly into the pitlane entrance. And strolled through the pitlane on autodrive and lost the win by 0.017
 
Wow that looks like me driving! :dunce:

I was a repeat choker in GT6. I'm better with GTS. Every once in awhile I'm up against someone who is just a bit faster and I cant pass. It pleases me to no end to push them hard enough for them to make an error. I won this weeks N400 race at Brands Hatch by doing just that, to a couple of higher rated drivers. Sweet!
 
Just the other day/last week, I had a race at Suzuka East in the Ferrari in the bag. Full 3 second lead and growing. Went in too deep on the last lap on the first corners, finished 3rd.

What a numpty.
 
I lost a couple of wins because people would dive into the last corner (not dirty, just a dive). I'd see this coming aaaaaaallll the way back from the end of the turn before this one, but nooooo I just had to leave it open and do an awesome undercut

And then it fails
 
Last week at BB Raceway I'm cruising in first with a 3+ sec lead while watching two cars ahead of me banging on each other. As the finish line is coming up I'm thinking I'm glad I don't have to drive through them. As I cross the line I relax, let off the gas and look for the results. Bam! into the turn 1 wall. Doh! Lap 14 not 15. I pick up a 5 sec penalty for hitting the wall and 2nd is closing in. I try to burn the penalty at the line but cross with 2 tenths which rounds up to 1 sec and lose by less than a sec. :banghead: The sad thing is that's not the first time I have done that. Sometimes when you have a comfortable lead it's easy to lose focus.
 
Yep a heap too often. Try cutting the last corner while in first place then getting a 5 second penalty. It puts you in that in between place of wanting to throw the controller or giving yourself a uppercut.
 
Have you ever run off gas at ~ 200m to the finish line while You are first with only 0.2 sec of gap,,,

IR
 
As I cross the line I relax, let off the gas and look for the results. Bam! into the turn 1 wall. Doh! Lap 14 not 15.

Thanks for sharing that, I feel just a little bit less of a moron now :dunce: I've done that at least twice. As bad as losing the win was, looking like a complete idiot to the car(s) behind me was worse.
 
just the other day, on Race C, it was the one-make with the IsoRivolta on Maggiore GP.....terrible car, but I love the track.

I was qualifying top 3 every time, race after race. I could never catch the guys in front until one race they both spun out and I passed with 2 laps to go. Right around that time my girlfriend came in the room and asked if I was about ready to eat. I said "yeah just a couple more laps, I'm in the lead and should win this if I don't screw it up."

Well, I screwed it up. Had about a 5s gap between me and the guy who recovered his spinout, and I put one rear wheel in the dirt on the final turn, instant spin, could not recover. I got 3rd. That's only the latest of many of my throw-aways. It does happen less often these days though, as I've gotten a lot better and more consistent.

Edit: also yesterday at Nations Cup, Gr.2 @ Interlagos....I went into the pits after lap 7 of 16, I filled what I thought was enough gas (hint: I didn't) then came out of the pits in 4th and I noticed I had jumped the guy who was right in front of me before pitting. That should have been my sign. It wasn't until the last lap that I learned I didn't have enough fuel. I was holding 4th position pretty good, but for almost the entire last lap I had to run on fuel map 6 just to make it to the end. Fortunately I only gave up one spot and finished 5th, but still kicking myself now as 4th should have been mine.
 
I had a great one where I had a rough few races so my sr went down
So I was an s driver in an A Safety rating race at Tokyo with the long straight and hairpin final corner
I started from pole took the lead and was about 12 seconds ahead after 4 laps
Coming round the final hairpin I had a clumsy spin due to just being to care free and like focusing elsewhere and hit the wall and got a penalty by the time I had righted myself and got rid of the penalty the second place guy passed me and beat me by 1 second
 
Not just wins thrown away mate, I binned my SR. S ranking last night after I put about 5mm of tyre on the grass at Suzuka before the bridge corner (turn 7) I think slid around like Torvill and Dean for 10 not so funny seconds, then picked up a 3 second penalty, Clearly fast I got back into contention only to get sandwiched at the last corner by two meganes game over, SR. S gone hello B banger racers!. Bit of a blow to go down so far in rank, but ill get it back.

But yeah pressure is immense at the thick end of racing, and it's funny how you do the most simple stupid things wrong just when you think you got it in the bag just see it to the line! then boom a blade of grass, or you don't hear that tyre smoking in time and weee your off!

But the feeling you get when you get it right is so good, especially if your like me and don't really race the fastest car for that circuit.
 
I had one last week on the Tsukuba/BRZ combo, was leading by about 3 seconds, not under any pressure and on the penultimate lap I, for the 1st time in the whole race, took too much speed into the final long right-hander and stupidly slid off track and into the sand losing the lead and finishing 3rd :banghead:
 
Back