Thrustmaster F1 rim modding

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • 28 comments

Mr. S

Nikon Fanboy
Premium
France
Paris
I'm looking to make my F1 rim look like this one.

d9rjoc25.jpg

Did one of you do this already? Did you just ask at your local metalworking shop? I don't have access to any "pro" tools, sadly. I'm curious how people did it and how much it was. Also, which material should I request them to use if I want to engrave a "Senna S" logo on the rim? I'm only after the middle part, the "Thrustmaster" logo on the top doesn't bother me.

Senna_s.jpg

Would like to know myself. I just picked up a t500 (again) and would like to get the f1 rim. I have a Sli Pro sitting here that I would like to install into the rim. Going to do some searching on iracing.com's forum to see if I find more info.

Thing is, it looks flat - not deeper in the middle, like the default one. That'd make it easy to get one at a metalworking shop.

Is that the original Ferrari Wheel? How and why did you get rid of the Emblem?

It just seems that the original face plate was removed and replaced with a custom made one. Should be fairly simple.

Think so, too - yet, I'd like to see what others did before I pop it open. :)

Yes it is the Thrustmaster F1 rim, here is a video of it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIt7K7u0Rc&context=C37a0ebcADOEgsToPDskIM8NFs-rTMXSU0s1l_N4li
And yes its mine
And this is how I did it
First of dismantle the Wheel, this is very easy to do
Then, Take a Ball point pen, and incribe all around the the markings Ive highlighted in red, this is easy as the Plate is made of light tin
Then take a flat knife and gentle lift the centre plate away, Then when its away from the main body, you now have a template to make a new plate, out of whatever you want to use
If you are going to add the Led's
Then you have to remove the Plate ive highlighted in blue, and then measure out were, you are going to put the sli-pro led's, and cut a hole out for it to fit
You will also have to remove some of the inside casing
Ive just made some more alterations to this wheel and will post some more pictuers of it later
Regards
Josh

If you do figure this out and engrave the logo into metal through milling or plasma cutting, I think you should also put in red LEDs under the logo so it lights up when you race. I had a friend that use to do that type of thing with Xbox 360s and then put plexi glass over the engraving, so when you started up the system the led lights would light up as well.

Yes it is the Thrustmaster F1 rim, here is a video of it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIt7K7u0Rc&context=C37a0ebcADOEgsToPDskIM8NFs-rTMXSU0s1l_N4li
And yes its mine
And this is how I did it
First of dismantle the Wheel, this is very easy to do
Then, Take a Ball point pen, and incribe all around the the markings Ive highlighted in red, this is easy as the Plate is made of light tin
Then take a flat knife and gentle lift the centre plate away, Then when its away from the main body, you now have a template to make a new plate, out of whatever you want to use
If you are going to add the Led's
Then you have to remove the Plate ive highlighted in blue, and then measure out were, you are going to put the sli-pro led's, and cut a hole out for it to fit
You will also have to remove some of the inside casing
Ive just made some more alterations to this wheel and will post some more pictuers of it later
Regards
Josh

Great, cheers mate. However, one question: why do I have to mark the inside of the plate with a pen?

Wouldn't that destroy the "normal" plate? How would you measure the new plate then? I'm confused. :P
Look if yo want to remove the whole Plate, ive marked the whole plate in white
Then you can do, then you could make up another plate using that as a template,
but if you just want to remove the centre part, marked in red, then you have to cut it away, i used a bullpiont pen to cut it out with, but you could use a knife, its up to you, you could then use the centre bit to use as your new template to make another one
Make sure you remove all your buttons first. it will make it easer to remove the bake plate

http://youtu.be/CFIt7K7u0Rc

Look if yo want to remove the whole Plate, ive marked the whole plate in white
Then you can do, then you could make up another plate using that as a template,
but if you just want to remove the centre part, marked in red, then you have to cut it away, i used a bullpiont pen to cut it out with, but you could use a knife, its up to you, you could then use the centre bit to use as your new template to make another one
Make sure you remove all your buttons first. it will make it easer to remove the bake plate

http://youtu.be/CFIt7K7u0Rc

Oh, I see - sorry dude, was a bit too blonde today, I guess. :D Awesome work, cheers for the hints. :)

I will post a picture of how i put my Sli-pro led's inside the wheel, but it wont be till the 6th jan, because im waiting on my dremel 4000 rotary tool to arrive, And i need it to finnish of this rim
I think these kind of tools are a must have for this sort of moding
Regards
Josh

Ok here is my second coming
http://youtu.be/ZJ3Jky9qVAo
It has a whole new front
So basicly ive taking the front of, Removed all buttons, boards, switches, discarded the front, well placed it somwere safe
I then made a new front using 10mm Mdf, Recessed the back, using a router
I then carbon fibred the front using 2/2 Twill Pro-Finnish carbon
then i drilled all the holes
When i get some more time i will try and take it to bits to show you how i done it
Regards
Josh

Will the SLI cable get in the way when you turn your rim? I'm tempted to order an f1 rim and try to put an SLI on it... But I suspect it might be way too much hassle for me. And I wonder if the cable will get in the way

I could also use my iPhone or something as a rev limiter & just glue that up top and pretend I'm driving for red bull

Will the SLI cable get in the way when you turn your rim? I'm tempted to order an f1 rim and try to put an SLI on it... But I suspect it might be way too much hassle for me. And I wonder if the cable will get in the way

I could also use my iPhone or something as a rev limiter & just glue that up top and pretend I'm driving for red bull
Go for it!

You know I've been contemplating velcroing my old iPhone to the bottom bezel of the TV with iRaceDash or iSpeed! I guess I'll do it once I eventually go to triples!

Actually, I thought about just that - as soon as I have my new PC it'd actually be useful, too. To be frank, it doesn't look too complicated: a few wires, the SLI-PRO, changing a few buttons. Ah well, getting a new PC has priority for now. That'll set me back around 2000 Euros anyway. :(

Actually, I thought about just that - as soon as I have my new PC it'd actually be useful, too. To be frank, it doesn't look too complicated: a few wires, the SLI-PRO, changing a few buttons. Ah well, getting a new PC has priority for now. That'll set me back around 2000 Euros anyway. :(

Yeah S, I'm at the same stage right now. Once I do that I'll get back into the thick of it.

Back