Thrustmaster Mods: Custom Wheel-Rims, Adapters, Quick-Release

• Thread starter ApexVGear
  • 19 comments
This weekend's mod project. A 14"/356mm Nardi wheel (or good knockoff) for driving vintage and muscle cars in Assetto Corsa.

For now, I'll design and print a simple Thrustmaster mount without buttons for its' bolt pattern.
Later I'll design another that can house an Arduino and add "inconspicuous" buttons and a din plug.
It's larger than the 488 Challenge rim, so it should feel a little more appropriate for cars that have this type of rim.

TS-WheelModA01.jpg

TS-WheelModA02.jpg

Last edited:
Today's update...

Had to buy 30mm bolts to replace the shorter M4 bolts supplied with the wheel. I carried the center hub to the hardware store, and determined that M6 bolts would provide a better fit. Unfortunately they didn't have any "button head" hex bolts in that length, but they did have counter-sink stainless steel bolts. Though I like the look of the supplied chrome bolts, the new bolts still look good, and will provide a more solid fit between the wheel and mount.

While the test prints are gray, the final part will be black, printed in durable ABS with five outer walls for added strength.

TS-WheelModA03.jpg

TS-WheelModA04.jpg

Checking the 3D model spec by printing a test-fit piece. I prefer a snug fit to ensure the wheel and mount will be solid.

TS-WheelModA06.jpg

Ring test design with hidden nuts that insert via the inside of the ring. If this works properly, the 3D model will be merged with a model of the Thrustmaster "quick-mount" design that threads into the wheel base hub (and includes the din plug on most wheels).

TS-WheelModA08.jpg

TS-WheelModA09.jpg

Print started, I'll know in about eight hours if everything's correct with a good fit to the wheel. Then I can finish modeling the complete mount.

TS-WheelModA09.jpg

TS-WheelModA012.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, big update...

Since this was my first production of a Thrustmaster wheel mount, and other online versions aren't very good, I tweaked and printed a few versions until it was strong and completely wiggle-free when inserted into the wheel base. This final version of this rim and mount are excellent. Note the 72mm bolt pattern and it's orientation. This is important as I learned a lesson while modeling the next mount for a 70mm hub (more below).

TS-WheelModB04.jpg

TS-WheelModB20.jpg

TS-WheelModB21.jpg

TS-WheelModB22.jpg

TS-WheelModB23.jpg

Next project, another padded "leather" rim. Purchased on eBay, I'm quite satisfied with the quality. Since I've perfected my Thrustmaster mount design/reproduction, it was a matter of resizing the six-bolt pattern, reduce the bolt hole and nut size for this rim, carefully merge it with the threaded locking section... and after waiting 13 hours for the print, I immediately discovered my mistake, as the bolts are oriented at a different angle from the 72mm Nardi rim.

TS-WheelModC01.jpg

OOPS! The mount is at the wrong angle. Good lesson for me. I actually had "accidentally" set it up correctly, but noticed what I thought was the wrong orientation (without checking the wheel rim) and "corrected" it (screwed it up) before slicing and uploading it to the printer. It only took a few minutes to readjust the angle, and the new part is printing now, but another 13-hour wait for the final 3D print, to be ready at 7pm this evening, is a pain. But making revisions and printing it again is a benefit of 3D printing.

TS-WheelModC02.jpg

TS-WheelModC03.jpg

The next project. Ordered this off Amazon, and it'll be here next week. Reasonably priced with good ratings. Though I'll first put a simple mount on this one, I'll eventually design a mount with an Arduino, buttons, and internal Din plug.

81arhvFYXsL-Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Update...

I received the D-shaped wheel this week, created another 3D model for it's bolt size and pattern, and printed it. I purchased M6-25mm flat-head bolts from the neighborhood hardware store to combine the wheel and mount.

This mount is only a temporary "basic" mount for now. I will be designing and printing a mount that will feature paddles and buttons, an internal Arduino and din plug to interface with the Thrustmaster base.

TS-WheelMod-D01.jpg

TS-WheelMod-D02.jpg

TS-WheelMod-D03.jpg

TS-WheelMod-D04.jpg

TS-WheelMod-D05.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic work, those mounts look great, and a nice collection of wheels!

Can I ask for a link to the "padded leather rim" please, as that looks exactly like the style I am trying to find.

Nice to see a kindred spirit! I too like having wheels appropriate to what I’m driving! Well done! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I ordered this "Joe's" 17" black steering wheel. It'll be the largest diameter I have, and should be great for vintage race cars. I should have it and a Thrustmaster adapter printed for it by this weekend.

1625564319633.png

Recent developments. Button housings for wheels are being developed.

This is for a 14-inch/350mm steering wheel, much larger than most Thrustmaster steering wheels.

Last edited:
I recently got into swapping wheels and such, I used a 14'' wheel first, as a test. Now I got an alcantara 13'' wheel, but the paddle shifters are a bit too far back to reach comfortably. Also the other buttons are hard to actually use, I just use a controller.

Now I was wondering, are there like shift paddle extenders or maybe even completely different paddles that would fit a 13''/14'' wheel? Maybe there are even face plates (idk how to call it) that would fit a wheel of this size? I mean the thing you screw the wheel on and connect to the base.

Are there any other mods you guys recommend to do?

Back