Thrustmaster T500 PS4 Compatibility

• Thread starter Andysan
  • 9 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm looking at replacing my T300 with a T500, as the former is faulty and the latter seems better built.

I am aware that the T500 is supported in certain PS4 games, albeit not natively. I put my T300 into PS3 mode today and extensively tested PCars 1, PCars 2, AC, F1 and GT Sport and have some questions that I'm hoping someone can please answer:

1. PCars1 was the only game to have noticeably different FFB - it basically felt broken. Is this the case with the T500?
2. Lots of general internet chatter suggests that the T500 works but that the Dual Shock cannot also be used in game for menus etc. One of my custom rims has no d-pad and hence I rely on this. With my T300 in PS3 mode it did work (the Dual Shock) so I'm unsure of whether this is representative or not.
3. The TM Open Wheel rim does not function at all on the T300 in PS3 mode - so again, is this something unique to running this wheel like this, or does it actually not work on the T500 either? I am on the latest firmware.

Many thanks in advance.

I use the the dual shock controller for the menus all the time while my T500 is hooked up for GT Sport. I can't speak for any other game though.

Hey Buddy

Thanks for this, that really helps me out.

Cheers!
Can I ask why you want a T500? A Fanatec CSL Elite or T-GT would both be far better options imho.

I have both a T500 and T-GT and the second of those is vastly superior. It never has FFB fade like the T500 does and is far more likely to be supported on the PS 5 (if you want to go the console direction). It's also a lot smoother and slightly more powerful. The T500 admittedly has been bulletproof since I bought it back in 2011 (except for the fan which is a common issue and easy to replace) but so has the T-GT for the just over two years I've had it.

Can I ask why you want a T500? A Fanatec CSL Elite or T-GT would both be far better options imho.

I have both a T500 and T-GT and the second of those is vastly superior. It never has FFB fade like the T500 does and is far more likely to be supported on the PS 5 (if you want to go the console direction). It's also a lot smoother and slightly more powerful. The T500 admittedly has been bulletproof since I bought it back in 2011 (except for the fan which is a common issue and easy to replace) but so has the T-GT for the just over two years I've had it.

Hey

I'm pretty heavily invested in the Thrustmaster infrastructure (multiple rims etc) and while I'm under no illusions that there aren't much better alternatives, I'm perfectly happy with the T300 performance. I'm also.not likely to switch to Ps5 for a number of years.

What I'm not so happy with is the build quality. The T500 generally seems to be much better built than the T300, has an external PSU and doesn't have the brushless motor that has failed in my T300. From reviews I gather that it's not a whole lot worse than a T300, hence why I'd rather get a T500. A TGT would be nice, but new that's running at about 4x the cost of a used T500.

I'd buy a T300 in a heartbeat if I either felt that it would last more than a year or so, or I could get a lengthy warranty on it. Given that most of the issues seem to be temperature related, I was flabbergaster when I opened mine quite how poor the design is.

Hey

I'm pretty heavily invested in the Thrustmaster infrastructure (multiple rims etc) and while I'm under no illusions that there aren't much better alternatives, I'm perfectly happy with the T300 performance. I'm also.not likely to switch to Ps5 for a number of years.

What I'm not so happy with is the build quality. The T500 generally seems to be much better built than the T300, has an external PSU and doesn't have the brushless motor that has failed in my T300. From reviews I gather that it's not a whole lot worse than a T300, hence why I'd rather get a T500. A TGT would be nice, but new that's running at about 4x the cost of a used T500.

I'd buy a T300 in a heartbeat if I either felt that it would last more than a year or so, or I could get a lengthy warranty on it. Given that most of the issues seem to be temperature related, I was flabbergaster when I opened mine quite how poor the design is.
Ah, no worries, money can be a bitch sometimes :lol:.

Just be very aware that you'll still have overheating problems with the T500. The fan placement is really poorly designed and even after I upgraded mine I still had issues with FFB fade.

Ah, no worries, money can be a bitch sometimes :lol:.

Just be very aware that you'll still have overheating problems with the T500. The fan placement is really poorly designed and even after I upgraded mine I still had issues with FFB fade.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah I could afford better kit, but I'm at a point in life at the moment where I probably couldn't justify it. Plus I still enjoy the TM range and don't feel that it's inferior (probably because I've never known anything else).

I've already bought some fans and will probably also mod the case of whatever I have next. I'm annoyed with myself for not doing this before it was too late with the T300. Whether it would have made a difference or not, well I don't know...

Thanks for the tip. Yeah I could afford better kit, but I'm at a point in life at the moment where I probably couldn't justify it. Plus I still enjoy the TM range and don't feel that it's inferior (probably because I've never known anything else).

I've already bought some fans and will probably also mod the case of whatever I have next. I'm annoyed with myself for not doing this before it was too late with the T300. Whether it would have made a difference or not, well I don't know...
Yeah, I should have modded my T500 when it was apart for the fan swap too.

This is where I've seen extra holes drilled (after I put mine back together :banghead: :lol:) but I presume you could drill out even more.
20191130_123153.jpg

Wow, it could really use a good clean :embarrassed:.

Hi Andy - I've had a Version 1 T500 since they were first introduced and have been happy with mine, but I am careful to allow it to fully cool after use.

Regarding heat and preventing overheating of the electronic components on the T500 - the motor is large and takes a long time to cool down. After playing a racing game the console and wheel should be left on until the fans stop - this can take 30-40 minutes. If you switch off the PS3/PS4 while the wheel is still hot, the fans on the wheel stop and heat inside the case continues to build leading to premature failure.

I don't know if the above cool down regime also applies to the T300.

Be careful buying any wheel secondhand unless it is from a very trusted source - I would always favour buying new and getting an extended warranty.

Back