Thrustmaster T500rs - PCB Flash Memory needed

• Thread starter Dan76
  • 19 comments
United States
SouthEast
DanZ-XLR8
OP: "Belts Needed" no longer applies. See post #12 https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...pcb-flash-memory-needed.355464/#post-11815006

Hello ALL,

The T500 developed a 'sponge' feel w/ lack of FFB. As in, while on corner entry (for example) if the turn requires 90° of wheel rotation to complete the turn, the wheel is only (actually) giving 20° of response. I opened it up and..as suspected, after going through all possible FFB settings that may be off...AND several pointless emails w/ TM Tech support (who really act dumb and just want my $$ to send it in...AND of course REFUSE to sell me the belt!).

...the belt from the motor is cracked in a couple spots (near each other). One significant enough to soon be a clean break.

ANY idea where to purchase these belts for the T500rs?? (might as well replace both while I'm at it)

Gates GT3 325 5MGT 9 (mm) belt off the motor

Gates GT3 325 5MGT 15 (mm) belt to wheel

ANY help or direction would be GREATLY Appreciated!!

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Google is showing me UK/EU suppliers, which doesn't help you, but searching for the order codes might help... codes from the datasheet would be 325-5MGT3-9 and 325-5MGT3-15.

Compatible belts can be found by searching for HTD 325-5M-9 and HTD 325-5M-15. (HTD=High Torque Drive, the profile of the teeth).

Google is showing me UK/EU suppliers, which doesn't help you, but searching for the order codes might help... codes from the datasheet would be 325-5MGT3-9 and 325-5MGT3-15.

Compatible belts can be found by searching for HTD 325-5M-9 and HTD 325-5M-15. (HTD=High Torque Drive, the profile of the teeth).

These cross-references have helped. I was too picky in my search wanting the exact Gates GT3. But, searching as you suggested it at least led me to 'other' Gates options of the same size. When I get the time later, I'll check availability, pricing and order...

Thanks for your time and input, much appreciated!!

Thanks, Found: Gates PowerGrip HTD 325-5M-9 (& 15) as needed! :)

Ironically, I purchased it exactly 3 yrs ago today, during round one of GT5's final GT Academy. It was a shocker when I 1st noticed the probs and thought it surely had to be a programming issue w/ iRacing. But, sadly when I pulled out the ol' PS3 to try it on GT6...same ol' thing.

Yeah, so I've had it for 3 yrs, but it really only has about a years worth of use out of it. SAD! I didn't much like GT6. And when I signed up to iRacing over a year ago...I had trouble finding time to properly prepare w/ the Team I had joined so I had to leave and put it down. Crazy thing is: when I finally found some time and rejoined the Team w/ in a couple days...WHAM!! I thought, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?"

...at this point: just glad it's not a deeper issue!

Wow, that doesn't seem very old, seems strange that the belt would crack up in that time. I'd have a careful look to see if there's anything that caused it... or maybe it was simply too much or too little tension, there's an adjuster, isn't there? I've no idea how to set it right if there is...

the adjuster roller or tension roller is made of plastic.inspect it, cause maybe the roller in almost gone.and must not rubbing at the arm that hold the plastic roller,it can damage the belt.if it does,then replace it by a roller bearing.

also can you tell me were you order the belt? what website. thanks.

I haven't totally taken it apart yet, but from what I understand, the 'belt to wheel' (the 15) is the only one that has an adjuster. It's the belt off motor (the 9) that's cracked. When I get the new belts I will do a more thorough investigation...

But, I will say, just after 'popping the top' to look at the belts, I was amazed at the amount of 'play' there is in the cogs (as in) the cog was twice the width it (normally [you would think]) should be...but that alone wouldn't cause the issue...

hope: ..chalking it up as a faulty belt!

decks01, the belt is currently available at several different sites, seeing you are in the Philippines try:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTKTSOQ/?tag=gtplanet-20

link is for the 'belt off motor (09 mm)'

..which may be where I order it from. The cost and shipping seems w/ in reason.

Thanks for the link dan. Also check the cog bearing front and back where the 9mm belt and 15mm belt intersec.Cuz mine was missing a front bearing and lot of play.Luckily i got a replacement bearing.

No prob! Thanks for the heads up, I'll look it over. You were fortunate to be able to find the correct bearing!!

Thanks for the link dan. Also check the cog bearing front and back where the 9mm belt and 15mm belt intersec.Cuz mine was missing a front bearing and lot of play.Luckily i got a replacement bearing.

Not sure if you already ordered from the link. Just wanted to give you a heads up: they didn't send the "Gates" belt as in description. They sent another brand but at least it's the correct size: HTD 325-5M-09

Doubt, I'll waist time by sending it back to prove a point of false adver/misrepresentation (to sell a product), which I'm sure that is what they are counting on...so I should! But, at this point I JUST WANT the wheel back up and running!! lol

I did e-mail em' to let them know I was displeased!!

Update (sorry for the double post): I replaced the belt and checked the bearings (which all checked out fine. The belt was certainly cracked in a few places in the outer shell. Technically not belt failure yet...I HOPED it was the cause to my troubles, but after replacement the problem is persistent. Which from the beginning, I realized replacing the belt was a 'shot in the dark' to fix the probs I'm having. But, it was obvious the belt (off motor) was imperfect...so, replace it!

My initial thoughts about the prob was leading me to believe there was a 'calibration' memory issue or something to do with internal programming of the wheel.

So, yeah...unless someone knows how to get ahold of the PCB Flash Memory for the T500rs, seems like I'm going to have to send it in! :/

...I RE:'d TM's Tech Support to ask if they would sell it to me...! Probably NOT! :odd:

Replacing the belt was actually pretty easy. A systematic process that can't be rushed when doing it for the 1st time. But, over-all, if you pay attention to details BEFORE you yank EVERYTHING apart!! ...it's a simple process!

Thanks to EVERYONE for the input and advice!!

:gtpflag: :cheers:

hello dan, sorry for the late reply.i never yet order the belt cusz mine is still fine but maybe in the future i will order it.from what i learn the gates belt from the t500rs have been dicountinued.so our only hope is the replacement belt,but its ok ,the important thing is the belt must be the same as the original. regarding your pcb.i think you can order it at thrustmaster website.some of the parts of the 500rs is salelable some not. but i think the pcb they sell it.just ask them. if not maybe ebay can help. goodluck

Shame that didn't fix it :( But at least it was a relatively cheap thing to try.

Did you see any parts on that PCB that looked burned out?

Maybe a silly question, but have you tried updating/reloading the Firmware?

Otherwise, did TM offer a fixed price to get the wheel back working, or was it more like "we'll see, and charge for parts"? If it's a fixed price and you aren't 100% sure what's wrong with it, that might be the wiser option.

Shame that didn't fix it :( But at least it was a relatively cheap thing to try.

Did you see any parts on that PCB that looked burned out?

Maybe a silly question, but have you tried updating/reloading the Firmware?

Otherwise, did TM offer a fixed price to get the wheel back working, or was it more like "we'll see, and charge for parts"? If it's a fixed price and you aren't 100% sure what's wrong with it, that might be the wiser option.

Yeah, no doubt, Thanks!!

Nothing looked burnt, loose or out of the ordinary (visually) on the PCB. I reloaded the firmware right after the prob arose.

TM has offered NO fixed price other than the initial charge of $60 (plus shipping of course) just to look at it. They refuse to acknowledge there is any memory on the T500 (seriously?) Basically, they refuse to respectably communicate w/ someone who is troubleshooting their beloved T500 and REFUSE to sell him parts! ...in other words they are tight lipped and don't want to give out ANY info or sell ANY parts :/

So, after shipping + $60, I have NO idea and they have given no indication of what it may cost from there...

Sad, but (probably) true! ..most likely going to have to send it in. :(

Yeah, no doubt, Thanks!!

Nothing looked burnt, loose or out of the ordinary (visually) on the PCB. I reloaded the firmware right after the prob arose.

TM has offered NO fixed price other than the initial charge of $60 (plus shipping of course) just to look at it. They refuse to acknowledge there is any memory on the T500 (seriously?) Basically, they refuse to respectably communicate w/ someone who is troubleshooting their beloved T500 and REFUSE to sell him parts! ...in other words they are tight lipped and don't want to give out ANY info or sell ANY parts :/

So, after shipping + $60, I have NO idea and they have given no indication of what it may cost from there...

Sad, but (probably) true! ..most likely going to have to send it in. :(

I thought you'd probably have tried the firmware!

Agreed, at this point there isn't much choice :( It's not certain that it's a problem with memory, or even on the PCB - it could be a sensor, but I think it's hall effect so not much to go wrong there.

I thought you'd probably have tried the firmware!

Agreed, at this point there isn't much choice :( It's not certain that it's a problem with memory, or even on the PCB - it could be a sensor, but I think it's hall effect so not much to go wrong there.

Yeah, no doubt uncertain for sure, so many possible 'cause and effects'...I just hope I don't get screwed over by a lack of true determination from their Tech Team after I send it in. :/

I haven't totally taken it apart yet, but from what I understand, the 'belt to wheel' (the 15) is the only one that has an adjuster. It's the belt off motor (the 9) that's cracked. When I get the new belts I will do a more thorough investigation...

But, I will say, just after 'popping the top' to look at the belts, I was amazed at the amount of 'play' there is in the cogs (as in) the cog was twice the width it (normally [you would think]) should be...but that alone wouldn't cause the issue...

hope: ..chalking it up as a faulty belt!

decks01, the belt is currently available at several different sites, seeing you are in the Philippines try:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTKTSOQ/?tag=gtplanet-20

link is for the 'belt off motor (09 mm)'

..which may be where I order it from. The cost and shipping seems w/ in reason.

Sorry for the bump, but since I just recently overheated my T500 RS and discovered it was the motor belt in particular that was failing/cracking, I want to check if the parts order was sorted out? The link to the amazon belt seems to match up, so I think that mostly solves my question. Although, I can't seem to find the 15mm wheel belt? Not that I am even sure if I need it, since it does not look cracked. But, I guess I might as well get it.

Get the belts and upgrade the fan to something bigger/quieter, just to ensure everything will work as it should.

EDIT: I think I found it :lol:: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTKTTFY/?tag=gtplanet-20

Latest Posts

Back