Thrustmaster TMX faulty. Any ideas?

• Thread starter Cleggorz
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So I purchased a Thrustmaster TMX online as faulty. I am a repair technician and usually this type of thing is a good challenge for me. However I cannot get this thing to work at all. More specifically it will not calibrate.

Upon starting to calibrate the wheel will full lock to the right and just stick there. I have tried the basics, changing the breakaway cable and firmware updating. I have now opened it up.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? The motherboard in this thing looks very low quality and soldered by hand. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this issue and know what specifically could be the issue?

A dude on reddit pointed me to the optical sensor

I have completely torn the wheel down and checked the optical wheel, gears and belt, mechanically speaking everything is sound. I have checked the sensor with a multimeter and its showing voltage.

Could this be a motor issue? Even though it turns right fine. Any help is very much appreciated.

So I purchased a Thrustmaster TMX online as faulty. I am a repair technician and usually this type of thing is a good challenge for me. However I cannot get this thing to work at all. More specifically it will not calibrate.

Upon starting to calibrate the wheel will full lock to the right and just stick there. I have tried the basics, changing the breakaway cable and firmware updating. I have now opened it up.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? The motherboard in this thing looks very low quality and soldered by hand. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this issue and know what specifically could be the issue?

I have completely torn the wheel down and checked the optical wheel, gears and belt, mechanically speaking everything is sound. I have checked the sensor with a multimeter and its showing voltage.

Could this be a motor issue? Even though it turns right fine. Any help is very much appreciated.
Can you give it a slight bit of help back the other way? I had this before with my T-GT once and the calibration process continued after a slight push. A simple firmware update was what fixed mine. It's worth a try.

EdiT: I just re-read your post and noticed you've already done the firmware. Sorry I can't help but good luck to you and hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction. :)

Last edited:
Cheers for the help anyway, I also tried updating in bootloader mode and still it has the same issue, I'm thinking maybe the motor cannot reverse its direction, I really don't know what to try at this point other than replacing the motor :banghead:

Cheers for the help anyway, I also tried updating in bootloader mode and still it has the same issue, I'm thinking maybe the motor cannot reverse its direction, I really don't know what to try at this point other than replacing the motor :banghead:
Hopefully @asteroulis can help you. He has far more knowledge about the workings of these products than me (or most of us actually). 👍

Unfortunately I haven't messed around those bases...:(
I am not a repair technician, meaning you are more able to fix it , so we're counting on you! Try to understand what each component on the pcb does and measure if it behaves as it should. It sounds time consuming and it probably is. It would of course help if you had a second one to track down the faulty part. That's how I gathered all this knowledge in the T300/TX series.

Also. You could try testing the motor. Since its a brushed motor you can simply unmount the motor and give different polarity to test it works both directions. +-12V should suffice for testing.

What happened did you get anywhere I have the exact same issue

Same problem right here, wheel stuck right when i pug in usb, no calibration possible :/

Unfortunately the youtube video doesn't exist anymore :(

Back