Thrustmaster vs Fanatec

United States
United States
Want to get some opinions on this:

T300 GT and TLCM with replacement plans, 2yr on the wheel (though I can change that to 3yr when I go pick it up) and a 3yr on the LCM’s (Microcenter has very good replacement/protection plans).
I got the TLCM’s already (but can return them unused) and I can pick up the T300 GT right now. Only reason I didn’t get both at same time is because the T300 GT wasn’t in stock a few days ago.

I can get the CSL Elite wheel and ClubSport V3 load cell pedals, including 2 day shipping, for $137 more than the Thrustmaster package above (or $97 more with 3yr replacement plan on T300)
BUT, I only get a ONE yr warranty with the Fanatec package and if I do have problems with the Fanatec I’d have to ship it to them for repair or replacement.

I’ve read that generally the Fanatec package listed above is better than the Thrustmaster package above but given the that I can replace the Thrustmaster package for 3 years here in town compared to a only a 1 year warranty on the Fanatec package and having to ship it if I have any issues, my question is what would you do in the same situation.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

I hope you get a reply from someone who has used both brands of equipment. In my case, I went from the logitech realm to fanatec realm, and would never turn back.
I have the CSL elite and the V3 pedals. Neither of which have given me one iota of problems since my purchase three years ago. (The only issue I’ve had was with the shifter, and it showed up fairly early).

Last edited:
I hope you get a reply from someone who has used both brands of equipment. In my case, I went from the logitech realm to fanatec realm, and would never turn back.
I have the CSL elite and the V3 pedals. Neither of which have given me one iota of problems since my purchase three years ago. (The only issue I’ve had was with the shifter, and it showed up fairly early).

Thanks for the response!
I’m replacing my Logitech G29 because the wheel broke. It started to feel loose and I could feel the bearings/gears slip and it was easier to turn in one direction than the other.

I’ve read great things about both these setups and I’ve also read that both have reliability issues as well.
3yrs replacement in town vs 1yr warranty and having to ship is weighing on me and I’m already really pushing past my budget but if the Fanatec wheel/pedal is SIGNIFICANTLY better than that would certainly be a big factor in my decision.

Thanks again! :)

I tried the T300 when GTS first came out, it was a solid wheel. I had to use a nifty adapter to use some nice CSR Elite pedals back then. The only reason I got rid of it was because it kept causing GTS to pause randomly, only mounting more frustration when platinuming. That being said, the CSL Elite blows it out of the water, you may be able to get one at a good price with the PS5 peripheral support and people like me upgrading their CSL Elites to the DD F1 wheelbase.

I see TM and Logi as good value, long lasting, entry level brands. They aren't ever a bad purchase and like anything if you really spend a ton of time sim-racing, invest the money and make the leap to mid-high/high end wheels :)

Jerome

Just saw this thread. I just posted this in the other pedal thread, but I'll repost here.

I can't speak on Thrustmaster as I've never used any of their products. When I decided to upgrade from a G29 I did a lot of research on both. I went with a Fanatec CSL Elite w/LC and couldn't be happier. I believe that Fanatec are a higher quality product and if you decide to change wheels, pedals, etc. most are all compatible with each other in their ecosystem. I also read too many negative comments about Thrustmaster. I'll second what @Jump_Ace said above. If you can afford to spend a little more, go with the Fanatec and you won't be disappointed.

I tried the T300 when GTS first came out, it was a solid wheel. I had to use a nifty adapter to use some nice CSR Elite pedals back then. The only reason I got rid of it was because it kept causing GTS to pause randomly, only mounting more frustration when platinuming. That being said, the CSL Elite blows it out of the water, you may be able to get one at a good price with the PS5 peripheral support and people like me upgrading their CSL Elites to the DD F1 wheelbase.

I see TM and Logi as good value, long lasting, entry level brands. They aren't ever a bad purchase and like anything if you really spend a ton of time sim-racing, invest the money and make the leap to mid-high/high end wheels :)

Jerome

Thanks and sorry it took me so long to respond. I’ve tried out the Thrustmaster gear and I want to ask you specifically, how is the Fanatec wheel better?
Is it smoother? Better FFB? Exactly what does it do that blows it out of the water vs. the Thrustmaster gear.
I can see with the build quality that there is no comparison. Fanatec is just way ahead there.

As I only have the G29 to compare to the T300 GT and TLCM’s there are obviously a lot of pros when it comes to just the G29.

Here are the things that have bothered me about the T300 thus far:
I hope I can describe this correctly as I’ve never had the belt system before but as smooth as it is compared to the G29 I still feel, not hear, but feel a a grind every so often. I also feel the wheel fight(?) me when turning sometimes and this is especially difficult to describe. As I’m turning I feel like the belt gets caught on something for just a split second and then turns. It hasn’t affected my racing though except once and that was last night going through the chicane of death at Seaside on Gran Turismo Sport. It did that “caught on something” thing and I hit the wall. I never had a problem like this on the G29.
(For the record, currently I’m only on the PS4 so I play GTS more than anything else by far. I do plan on getting the PS5 asap and a gaming PC at some point in the future)
Another thing about the wheel that bothers me is that it’s rubber! Not a pleasant feeling (my hands are getting a little red in spots) and one area where the G29 was better, whether it was real or faux leather it felt great in hand.
I see the CSL Elite wheel is leather and suede.
I would prefer not to have to wear gloves but would if the reason was acceptable, not because the wheel is rubber (also don’t like wearing them because buttons are difficult to push but I suppose that could be a problem on many wheels).
As for the T-LCM’s, they are really nice and the main reason my times have gotten a lot better. Still getting used to pressure rather than travel and still fiddling with the settings to find my sweet spot but I don’t really have anything negative to say about them. I’ve read that generally the ClubSport V3 pedals are more precise though?

All in all I’m leaning towards taking the Thrustmaster gear back and ordering the Fanatec gear. I still worry about only having a year warranty vs the replacement plans I have on the Thrustmaster but I just hope that wouldn’t be an issue with the higher quality of the Fanatec gear.

Is there anything else you could tell me specifically about the CSL Elite or the ClubSport V3 pedals that would really cement my decision to take back the Thrustmaster gear or to keep it?

Just saw this thread. I just posted this in the other pedal thread, but I'll repost here.

I can't speak on Thrustmaster as I've never used any of their products. When I decided to upgrade from a G29 I did a lot of research on both. I went with a Fanatec CSL Elite w/LC and couldn't be happier. I believe that Fanatec are a higher quality product and if you decide to change wheels, pedals, etc. most are all compatible with each other in their ecosystem. I also read too many negative comments about Thrustmaster. I'll second what @Jump_Ace said above. If you can afford to spend a little more, go with the Fanatec and you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the response. As I said in the post above responding @Jump_Ace I’m leaning towards getting the Fanatec gear after spending some time with the Thrustmaster. The T300 is a great wheel but there are things that bother me as I posted above. The T-LCM pedals I don’t really have anything negative to say other than maybe that even with the stiffest springs and all the washers put in so there is no pre-load I still feel like they aren’t stiff enough but that could be user issues and not a product issue. Though I’ve seen others say the same and get custom mods to make them stiffer.
Anything other information that you could give me regarding your experience with Fanatec would be greatly appreciated.
Any interactions with customer service and if so, was it bad or good?
Do you still use the stock wheel that comes with the CSL Elite base?
I’ve seen on YouTube that some things don’t work with Gran Turismo Sport on that wheel and the ClubSport V3 pedals but those videos were over a year old. Wondering if anything changed?

Thanks once again! :)

Thanks and sorry it took me so long to respond. I’ve tried out the Thrustmaster gear and I want to ask you specifically, how is the Fanatec wheel better?
Is it smoother? Better FFB? Exactly what does it do that blows it out of the water vs. the Thrustmaster gear.
I can see with the build quality that there is no comparison. Fanatec is just way ahead there.

As I only have the G29 to compare to the T300 GT and TLCM’s there are obviously a lot of pros when it comes to just the G29.

Here are the things that have bothered me about the T300 thus far:
I hope I can describe this correctly as I’ve never had the belt system before but as smooth as it is compared to the G29 I still feel, not hear, but feel a a grind every so often. I also feel the wheel fight(?) me when turning sometimes and this is especially difficult to describe. As I’m turning I feel like the belt gets caught on something for just a split second and then turns. It hasn’t affected my racing though except once and that was last night going through the chicane of death at Seaside on Gran Turismo Sport. It did that “caught on something” thing and I hit the wall. I never had a problem like this on the G29.
(For the record, currently I’m only on the PS4 so I play GTS more than anything else by far. I do plan on getting the PS5 asap and a gaming PC at some point in the future)
Another thing about the wheel that bothers me is that it’s rubber! Not a pleasant feeling (my hands are getting a little red in spots) and one area where the G29 was better, whether it was real or faux leather it felt great in hand.
I see the CSL Elite wheel is leather and suede.
I would prefer not to have to wear gloves but would if the reason was acceptable, not because the wheel is rubber (also don’t like wearing them because buttons are difficult to push but I suppose that could be a problem on many wheels).
As for the T-LCM’s, they are really nice and the main reason my times have gotten a lot better. Still getting used to pressure rather than travel and still fiddling with the settings to find my sweet spot but I don’t really have anything negative to say about them. I’ve read that generally the ClubSport V3 pedals are more precise though?

All in all I’m leaning towards taking the Thrustmaster gear back and ordering the Fanatec gear. I still worry about only having a year warranty vs the replacement plans I have on the Thrustmaster but I just hope that wouldn’t be an issue with the higher quality of the Fanatec gear.

Is there anything else you could tell me specifically about the CSL Elite or the ClubSport V3 pedals that would really cement my decision to take back the Thrustmaster gear or to keep it?

The wheel is more responsive, meaning faster ffb when steering and countersteering specifically. It's also a bit stronger, but you can really fine tune that bit where you can't in TM products.

I don't wear gloves either, that'd just make it harder to steer and I'd lose precision. Which brings me to the next point, comfort. The CSL E (and F1 Podium that I use now) have a fantastic, professional feel to them. They honestly feel better then the wheel in my new 2020 fit ex I bought this month :lol: (jokes on me there?).

Lastly, the one thing that sets Fanatec apart from the rest is how you feel the road and the car, there's a higher level of detail during turn-in in the Fanatec line that TM/Logi don't offer (maybe Logi's brand new wheel, according to their advertising). I can at the same time feel the road and how the car is pulling, whereas with my T300 I feel one or the other, but thats just me.

All that being said, for the money, I think all the wheels are great and have value, I'd recommend Fanatec if you know you'll do it for a long time and really enjoy putting in the laps.

Jerome

Last edited:

As you see from my post above regarding issues with the T300 and some of the grinding/turning issues, does any of that come into play with the Fanatec gear? The feel of a bit of grind is really not an issue but that but where the wheel seems to get caught for just a split second can be a little irritating though if that is something that is inherent in a belt wheel it’s something I can get used to.
If that issue sounds like something is wrong with the Thrustmaster then that’ll certainly make this decision MUCH easier. :lol:

I appreciate any other information you could give me to help facilitate my decision. Again, the only thing really holding this up is peace of mind in having those long replacement plans on the Thrustmaster gear.

The wheel is more responsive, meaning faster ffb when steering and countersteering specifically. It's also a bit stronger, but you can really fine tune that bit where you can't in TM products.

I don't wear gloves either, that'd just make it harder to steer and I'd lose precision. Which brings me to the next point, comfort. The CSL E (and F1 Podium that I use now) have a fantastic, professional feel to them. They honestly feel better then the wheel in my new 2020 fit ex I bought this month :lol: (jokes on me there?).

Lastly, the one thing that sets Fanatec apart from the rest is how you feel the road and the car, there's a higher level of detail in the Fanatec line that TM/Logi don't offer (maybe Logi's brand new wheel, according to their advertising). I can at the same time feel the road and how the car is pulling, whereas with my T300 I feel one or the other, but thats just me.

All that being said, for the money, I think all the wheels are great and have value, I'd recommend Fanatec if you know you'll do it for a long time and really enjoy putting in the laps.

Jerome

Well, that sounds great. Makes the decision easier.
You got the F1 podium! :bowdown: Maybe one day...:lol:
Couple more things. Any customer service experience with Fanatec? If so, good, bad, indifferent?
Does any of the the issues I’ve had with regards to the turning on the T300 happen with the CSL Elite?

Any interactions with customer service and if so, was it bad or good?
Do you still use the stock wheel that comes with the CSL Elite base?
I’ve seen on YouTube that some things don’t work with Gran Turismo Sport on that wheel and the ClubSport V3 pedals but those videos were over a year old. Wondering if anything changed?

I've had my wheel for over a year now with no issues. Still using stock wheel and can map any button for any function in GTS. Changing BB, TCS, etc. on the fly is also easy. I did have an issue with the brake pedal once where there was a slight amount of brake pressure being applied when my foot was off the pedal. I asked about this problem in the Fanatec thread in this forum and Dom from Fanatec responded promptly with suggestions and offered help. Later that week GTS did an update and the problem disappeared so I assume PD screwed something up in a previous update. I'm still on the drivers that came with the wheel although they are always releasing new ones and betas. But I feel like if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have mixed feelings about Fanatec customer service. Gear has to go to California and it’s heavy. They’re not fast on the turn around. I’m on my second shifter and same issues cropping up on it now. (Different story). Wheel doesn’t do anything goofy. No snags. Used P1 steering wheel for 2 years but not anymore. Get leather, not alcantara.

I too went from G29 to CSL, but the Elite LC pedals. The TM package is a upgrade from the G29. But, the Fanatec will be a better upgrade from the TM option. More tuning and more future proof, IMO. TM is good but not the same level as Fanatec.

Back