Thumbs Up/Down for tire wear 2.02

• Thread starter joetruckv8
  • 84 comments

Tyre wear in 2.02?

• Total voters
United States
Los Angeles, Cali
JoeTruckV8
So how many people do like, or don't like the new 2.02 tire wear update?

If there isn't any difference from soft to mediums to hards, then I'll give it a thumbs down. But if there is a difference between all 3 compounds, but they just wear faster than usual, then I'll give a thumbs up. Racing will go from the fastest guy to the guy with the best tire wear & pit strategy.

Say hello to the GT5 - F1 Pirelli edition'

Having a difference between tire wear in RS, RM, and RH tires is a great thing that I agree with 100%. But with that said at the rate of wear they put on them I give it a big 👎

There is a difference between all three RT's now, like it should be. We did lots of comparisions since the update.

Grab a car, pick a track and see how many laps you will get on each type. The laps will be different as well as your times. And yes pit strategy now comes into play, as well as type of drivetrain, car weight, tuning etc.

We did 32 laps with Nascar on Daytona Road Course. Tire wear was a factor and RS gripped no different than before, just didn't last long. RH were best for that event, up to 10 laps. I welcome the change, but 3 online lobbies I was in last night had the tire wear off! LOL!

Having a difference between tire wear in RS, RM, and RH tires is a great thing that I agree with 100%. But with that said at the rate of wear they put on them I give it a big 👎

My thoughts exactly. At least 50% more is the right duration for every type or Racing tires.

👍

Yeah its a little over the top but, if they last any longer there no use to even have tire wear on. If 92% of the lobbies run races for 3-4 laps, what's the use of having wasted time developing a tire wear program that's only used by 8% of the users.

I'm glad to hear that there is a difference between racing compounds, but it seems to me that the rate they burn off may be to rapid for our series racing guys. Maybe in the future we can get a update that allow us to choose at what rate the tires will degrade kind of like the time change setting at the nurburgring.

👍

Yeah its a little over the top but, if they last any longer there no use to even have tire wear on. If 92% of the lobbies run races for 3-4 laps, what's the use of having wasted time developing a tire wear program that's only used by 8% of the users.
I'm not a big on-line racer, except for the seasonal's.
I welcome the change, as it was one of my biggest gripes.
Who cares what others do? That's why you have the choice of starting your
own lobby.
All and all I've very happy with the update 👍

Try doing a 20 lap endurance online round the Norshleife, R/S now give you 1 lap that means pitting every lap.
Great that PD have approached this issue but they need a bit more life accross the board.

RS tires qualification tire's, qualifier tire's aren't ment for alot of lap's. I like the new tire's you can win with any one of the compounds now if the race is a long one, pit strategy is needed and I approve of the change. Thumb's up.

I'm glad to hear that there is a difference between racing compounds, but it seems to me that the rate they burn off may be to rapid for our series racing guys. Maybe in the future we can get a update that allow us to choose at what rate the tires will degrade kind of like the time change setting at the nurburgring.

This ^.. P.D. went the wrong way with the 'life' of the tires, so a resounding thumbs down 👎 @ P.D.. Here's a post i wrote in my Street League about this issue(that will need fixing in a future update), & what problems arise:

a shake up is in order with the new tire wear modeling post 2.02 update. Myself, i haven't tested the tires yet, but from what i hear is RS tires will last about half as long as they used to, & RH last around the same distance as before the update, with RM falling somewhere inbetween. Personally I don't like the change for 2 reasons: #1. (& Less importantly) Because the first 4 SCRL races have been ran already w/ pre-2.02 tire modeling, & records have been set & times recorded with the old RS tires... & #2. (THE BiG ONE) Is that the new tire modeling went the wrong direction, meaning RS tires were fine the way they were; RM & RH tires basically just need more 'life' added to them, & INSTEAD P.D. went the other(WRONG) way & shortened the 'life' of RS & RM tires, meanwhile RH tires remain the way they were(give or take). I mean a set of racing tires wearing out after 10 or 20 miles driven on them is in NO way realistic. P.D. needs credit where credit is due, the modeling was wrong before 2.02, with RS tires the closest to "right", its just a shame that tire modeling is worse now than before(but @ LEAST there is a noticeable difference in wear w/ the 3 compounds, lol). Basically P.D. went & tried to fix a wrong and made it worse, & at the same time changing the "rules" after the game had already started, like a 1st grader @ recess(didn't that kid usually get beat up!?)

If you read on in my SCRL post, i go on about P.D changing the Spa/kart track accessibility too, which probably grinds my gears even more so than the botched tire modeling fix. Boooo P.D... but thanks for my seasons greeting card i get when i log in. Sorry it looks like you've went & made MORE work for yourselves, just think of it as job security P.D. LOL! 👎

Last edited:
So how many people do like, or don't like the new 2.02 tire wear update?

If there isn't any difference from soft to mediums to hards, then I'll give it a thumbs down. But if there is a difference between all 3 compounds, but they just wear faster than usual, then I'll give a thumbs up. Racing will go from the fastest guy to the guy with the best tire wear & pit strategy.

Say hello to the GT5 - F1 Pirelli edition'

I can understand people liking pit strategy, but I hate it, I don't like F1, I watch MotoGP (and yet still like cars not bikes), for two reasons, A. it goes for 40 minutes, bam done, B. There's no bloody pitting, unless it rains or for penalties.

This is a big thumbs down for me, from all the feedback I've heard, something like 3 laps in a Mercedes SL500 someone was saying, and they were down to just 10% of their tires, now even if they drifted around EVERY corner, they should still have quite a bit of rubber, so I think the maths is just off a bit here.

Thumbs down.

Anyone not liking tire wear can turn it off if they are the host right? Want slower tire wear? Use harder tires. I think everyone wins with this update. Thumbs up!

Its not "realistic" tyre wear or something even close... hey I know its a game but having to stop every 6 laps at Le Mans for tyres is just plain stupid... doesn't even use half a tank of fuel!!!!

at the very least in the "proper" racing cars, RH's should come close to lasting a tank of fuel... THAT would start getting close to realistic but still nothing like "real life"

So from me this change gets a huge 👎

This ^.. P.D. went the wrong way with the 'life' of the tires, so a resounding thumbs down 👎 @ P.D.. Here's a post i wrote in my Street League about this issue(that will need fixing in a future update), & what problems arise:

a shake up is in order with the new tire wear modeling post 2.02 update. Myself, i haven't tested the tires yet, but from what i hear is RS tires will last about half as long as they used to, & RH last around the same distance as before the update, with RM falling somewhere inbetween. Personally I don't like the change for 2 reasons: #1. (& Less importantly) Because the first 4 SCRL races have been ran already w/ pre-2.02 tire modeling, & records have been set & times recorded with the old RS tires... & #2. (THE BiG ONE) Is that the new tire modeling went the wrong direction, meaning RS tires were fine the way they were; RM & RH tires basically just need more 'life' added to them, & INSTEAD P.D. went the other(WRONG) way & shortened the 'life' of RS & RM tires, meanwhile RH tires remain the way they were(give or take). I mean a set of racing tires wearing out after 10 or 20 miles driven on them is in NO way realistic. P.D. needs credit where credit is due, the modeling was wrong before 2.02, with RS tires the closest to "right", its just a shame that tire modeling is worse now than before(but @ LEAST there is a noticeable difference in wear w/ the 3 compounds, lol). Basically P.D. went & tried to fix a wrong and made it worse, & at the same time changing the "rules" after the game had already started, like a 1st grader @ recess(didn't that kid usually get beat up!?)

If you read on in my SCRL post, i go on about P.D changing the Spa/kart track accessibility too, which probably grinds my gears even more so than the botched tire modeling fix. Boooo P.D... but thanks for my seasons greeting card i get when i log in. Sorry it looks like you've went & made MORE work for yourselves, just think of it as job security P.D. LOL! 👎

This poll is looking about even so far (I really didnt count the thumbs up to the thumbs down by the way).

But I agree with GTP_EarthBound & MusicRacerAu on the tire issue. I run series racing and we pit about right at the point where we should pit for racing softs. I definitely think PD should of went the other way with hards lasting longer. I thought that was the logical thing to do in the 1st place, but I guess I was wrong. This will be a thumbs up for racing series 20 laps & shorter, but a big thumbs down for racing series 20 laps & more.

But like 1 guy said "I will accept the challenge or now", until they hopefully fix the issue. 👍/👎👎

Thumbs up here. Causes people to actually have to learn to conserve tires. It really needs to be adjustable though. Want to run races with pits, but not so dang long all the time.

I in a way like it because now I'm on the same page as everyone else on setups and figuring things out. It TOTALLY CHANGED the game though. Jus don't understand why they would do something like this after its been out for 13 mo. I know the Nascar guys that have spent countless hours trying to get softs to last 50 laps are absolutely pissed after this update. Like one guy I was talking to today said, hopefully the new update won't keep people from playing it anymore.

A massive thumbs down from me for the update, I really do hope they fix this tyre issue as it should have been done the other way, as in extend the life of RM and RH rather than shorten the life of RS. And also not very happy with the cars we have recieved in the last couple of updates either, sorry i'm going to whine a little bit here because I feel that GT has taken a step in the wrong direction since they decided to put 10 new daytona cars, I mean come on seriously? what was the purpose of that when they could of spent that time and effort in giving us cars that are not in the game. I'm already quite annoyed with Porsche and EA for not allowing such a great car in a great game which is quite frankly really annoying and for that reason will not buy any EA product ever, but what's more annoying to me is that PD do have RUF and yet no new RUF models since the last couple GT series. I think they should add some serious cars for dlc like some new models of RUF, konnigsegg, gumpert. If the last two is not possible because of license issue then how about RUF? or maybe give us the best cars of the manufacture's they already have such as the mercedes SL65 AMG Black Edition and Zonda Cinque. I know i'm writting this in the wrong section so I'll go back on topic. Thumbs down, plz do the opposite make RS same before update and make RM and RH tyres last longer and then everyone will be happy.

Last edited:
I feel that GT has taken a step in the wrong direction since they decided to put 10 new daytona cars, I mean come on seriously? what was the purpose of that when they could of spent that time and effort in giving us cars that are not in the game.
Get a grip man. If you don't like the cars, tough luck. They give you 1,000+ cars to drive and people like you whine because they thought the update was going to include their favorite car...as if everyone in the world has the same favorite cars. I've said this before. If you want to race a Porsche, dish out your hard earned allowance and buy an EA game that has them. Stop asking for handouts. You bought PD's game and it was pretty good. The fact that they supply updates for free...I repeat FOR FREE...should have you praising them, not bitching about how much they suck for making the wrong decisions.

As for the tire model. Thumbs up for adjusting the wear. Thumbs down for not having any control over the rate. The setting now is good for mixing up 10-20 lap sprints but completely ruins A-spec endurances. If you are going to put a 24 hour race in the game, you could at least adjust gas consumption and tire wear to reflect how things happen IRL. That includes gas-and-go pit stops where you don't change the tires.

I do have a grip and as for me wanting free handouts....LLLOOOOLLLL I paid for this game and for all the dlc also g25 wheel. GT5 is the best racing sim out currently with forza 4 tough on its heels and therefore it has credit from me where it is due. I feel quite the opposite infact it's games companies that love the free handouts, they make a few useless cars and make millions from them. Look man i'm supporting my favourite game all I want is premium RUF's and a gameplay that doesnt get messed up because of whinnie people that think RS tyres are too grippy so nerf them attitude!

The concept was good. But I just did laps with a NASCAR at Daytona and the test wasn't good...(RACING SOFT) tires only lasted 10 laps. In real NASCAR that doesn't happen.👎 It's kinda crazy the way it is.:crazy:

But it does change the way you race. 💡

I'm just glad that WE don't have to keep buying tires.:sly: My team owner would hate me!:dopey:

Ok, so you are willing to pay for your RUF cars in the game? What if someone told you it cost $100,000 in development hours to turn a CAD file of a car into the game version? Let's say you are the product manager for the graphics team. You've got a handful of people on a website forum requesting RUFs, you've got statistics that show which cars are most used in the game (ie not RUFs), and you've got manufacturers willing to front the R&D cost if you'll put their new cars into your game. What do you do? Do you waste man hours on a car that won't be popular, or do you let a manufacturer pay the bill so the Toyota FT-86 will be in the game before it is available in show rooms?

It's all about the money man...and as much as you want a premium RUF, there are people that want something else, people that pay big money. If it means that much to you, start your own petition and have people donate money to your cause. When you get enough, contact PD directly and tell them you will pay to have your preferred car in the next DLC.

Complaining that you don't like the cars available is just childish. Take 'em, or leave 'em.

Sports soft now out last racing soft by 50 % with little loss in lap times.
Test for yourself.
PD got the tyre model wrong big time.

so your telling me that people would rather drive another mini, a sciroco, 10 useless daytona cars and some other cars? Yes I would be willing to pay for DLC RUF content as I have already told you I have bought all dlc for this game because i'm a motorhead nut. It just doesnt make sense that they dont have premium new models of ruf unless as you say they need to pay money for each model to the manufacturur, If that is the case then the ones in the game should have been premium, but I still think they should have new model ruf's in there. You say that it wouldnt be so popular, but everyone on my friends list says the opposite. I just hope Kazunori and his team would listen to reason and not just favour you guys in america, over in europe Porsche/RUF is loved very much and i'm sure people would rather pay for dlc with RUF rather that a third mini cooper and a sciroco that now has a hard time completing 1 lap around the 24hr nurburgring on RS. FF car's especially suffer big time with this new tyre wear, it is very unrealistic and to be honest with you forza seems to have a better concept of tyre physics and wear. I'm no fan boy GT or Forza, i'm car/race fanatic that has bought every gt game and forza game and i can tell you this new update will really hurt GT's reputation of a realistic driving sim when you struggle to complete 1 lap on the nurburgring that's ridiculus. I think i'm gonna save up and get the fanatec CSRE wheel so i can play both games, but to be honest F4 looks more appealing to me at the moment.

Back