Thursday Night Practice (Formerly Driving School)

• Thread starter Neutty
  • 465 comments
I've enjoyed, and learned lots, from the 'schools' I've attended so far in my short enrolment in ARL (SNAIL), and am looking forward to next Thursday. I was late finding yesterday's lobby and I was wondering if anyone saved a replay of the first combo ('78 Firebird @ Laguna)? If so I would like to use it in preparation for Sunday's racing. I'm still trying to prevent rear end collisions, ie. I brake too early, too much, or too long.

I've enjoyed, and learned lots, from the 'schools' I've attended so far in my short enrolment in ARL (SNAIL), and am looking forward to next Thursday. I was late finding yesterday's lobby and I was wondering if anyone saved a replay of the first combo ('78 Firebird @ Laguna)? If so I would like to use it in preparation for Sunday's racing. I'm still trying to prevent rear end collisions, ie. I brake too early, too much, or too long.
This is the ARL, not Snail.

This is the ARL, not Snail.
I know, but lately the Thursday school regularly focuses on the 3 combos that will be raced on Sunday in SNAIL. There were a couple of nights where it was an ARL Gr 4 school, but not the last couple. At my level, I'll take whatever I can get.

I know, but lately the Thursday school regularly focuses on the 3 combos that will be raced on Sunday in SNAIL. There were a couple of nights where it was an ARL Gr 4 school, but not the last couple. At my level, I'll take whatever I can get.
SNAIL runs their OFFICIAL practice night on thursdays a well. We have not had any lobbies opened or the last few weeks for driving school.
Though a lot of us run both series, we are primarily focused on ARL on Thursday nights.

We have never run Snail combos in ARL School, so not sure where you getting that from. This is ARL, and Thursday for us, is our driving school, (when we have a lobby open) not Snail practice.

SNAIL runs their OFFICIAL practice night on thursdays a well. We have not had any lobbies opened or the last few weeks for driving school.

We have never run Snail combos in ARL School, so not sure where you getting that from. This is ARL, and Thursday for us, is our driving school, (when we have a lobby open) not Snail practice.
RIIIIGHT! Gotcha! Now I see my noob error. Just as I race ARL Gr 4 and SNAIL Spec, so do many others. After a couple of ARL school nights with many of you (wonderful by the way. Thanks) I then mistook SNAIL's official Thursday practice (with names I recognized) with ARL's school. The fact the lobby was named "SNAIL" or some other cryptic thing apparently went over my head. LOL. While the SNAIL practice was helpful, don't get me wrong, it also really pointed out my need for more coaching.

So I'm really looking forward to ARL's next driving school, complete with special guest. Which brings me to my next beginner question:
Details to come this weekend. Please tag myself if you plan to attend.
This quote doesn't make sense to me, as I actually don't know what "tag me" means. Try to keep the ridicule and sarcasm to a minimum in your reply, please. lol Thanks.

Next Thursday!

We have been asked about a (Beginners League), then we formed the Gr.4 series, it was intended for the beginners. When word got out about how well ARL was doing, we started to see more and more fast guys join in on the lobby. The most current season of Gr.4 we introduced the BotR portion of the championship. Well, now i am going to test a "theory" with you guys. Whats going to happen is we will be working on CLOSE TIGHT CLEAN RACING. Does this worry you? It probably can, but rest assured, i think i have a fix for that fear, and hopefully a fix for a distant future beginners league for ARL.

We will be running a series of races, BOOST racing. What this will allow is everyone to get comfortable with close racing and learning what to do and how to adjust when following someone to help you from running them over going into corners, and to help you learn how to pass cleaner and most importantly, INCREASE CONFIDENCE. There will be a few INSTRUCTORS who will also be around to help guide everyone along.

One of the hardest things in GTSport is racing in competitive races online, but having the ability to pass clean especially when we are not driven the same in the sport mode lobbies. We get flustered, and tend to make mistakes, accidents happen, and we start to lose focus to our brake points. Things start to spiral out of control and before you know it, your SR and DR have gone down hill.

Instructors who will be in attendance. (If you would like to help please tag myself and i will add you to the list.)
@Neutty
@Antares26

Instructors who are currently tentative
@Herimopp89
Stormpacer - Who mentioned that if he was awake, he may jump in.

I ASK THAT EVERYONE PLEASE PICK ONE GR.3 CAR, AND PRACTICE AT BOTH TRACKS I WILL HAVE LISTED BELOW. TOD SHOULDNT MATTER. THERE ARE 2 THINGS I WOULD LIKE YOU TO WORK ON, LEARNING THE BRAKE POINTS TRY FINDING 2 DIFFERENT BRAKE POINTS FOR EACH CORNER, BRAKE POINTS THAT YOU WOULD USE BY YOURSELF, AND THEN ONE THAT IS A LITTLE FURTHER BACK. WHEN RUNNING IN BOOST AND SLIPSTREAM, WE WILL BE RUNNING MUCH TIGHTER ON THE TRACK, AND WITH THESE SETTINGS, THE CLOSING RATE WILL BE QUICKER THAN NORMAL, IN HOPES OF HELPING YOU TO UNDERSTAND WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO KEEP FROM RUNNING OVER SOMEONE. ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN.

Lobby will open between 8:00pm and 8:30pm EST.

MOUNT PANORAMA

MONZA WITH CHICANE

Lobby Settings

Start type: Grid start
Grid order: reverse grid on previous race results
boost: strong
slipstream: strong
damage off or light, this is still up in the air.
tire and fuel wear off
Grip Red: Real

Category: GR.3
BOP: On
Maximum tire: Racing Soft
Minimum Tire: Racing Soft
Tuning Prohibited

Penalties, all off

Driving options

Countersteering: Prhoibited
ASM: Prohibited
Driving Line: No Limit
Traction Control: No Limit
ABS: No Limit
Auto Drive: Prohibited

We will run at each track 4-6 lap sprints. we will run as long as my eyes can handle, hopefully to 11:00pm EST. We will also be running this night as clean as we can, if you bump someone off, or such, please Concede to them, hopefully this will help you understand more of where you need to brake for next time. Boost will be on, and you will catch up.

Since I'm currently placed on rotating work arrangements due to the recent virus affecting one of our neighbor coworkers, I'm able to join in this week's driving school while juggling my emails.

Be it if I could serve as a "mobile chicane" or "training vehicle/obstacle", I would be happy to help out. Thursday nights should translate out to Friday mornings for me.

Did a couple hotlaps for tomorrow's tracks. Hopefully this could also serve as a reference for those unfamiliar with either Monza or Bathurst.

I will definitely give these a view. A couple of questions I have for School: As a beginner (Jan '20) I know I am slow through many corners. I seem to be braking too soon or too much or too long. This makes it hard for knowledgeable drivers to follow me closely. Also, my overall track awarenesses is poor at this point. I mean I'm not aware of significant markers in the world of braking points, ie. that black box/camera/etc. on your right/left/just passed/etc.

I have been, and will continue to try cars at these 2 circuits. See you tomorrow.

I will definitely give these a view. A couple of questions I have for School: As a beginner (Jan '20) I know I am slow through many corners. I seem to be braking too soon or too much or too long. This makes it hard for knowledgeable drivers to follow me closely. Also, my overall track awarenesses is poor at this point. I mean I'm not aware of significant markers in the world of braking points, ie. that black box/camera/etc. on your right/left/just passed/etc.

I have been, and will continue to try cars at these 2 circuits. See you tomorrow.
It wall about practice.

a lot of people practice too many things at one. 5 laps here, 5 laps there. Try focusing heavily on one combo. That’s where the knowledge will come.

It has been confirmed that at 9:00pm EST there will be a maintenance for the servers.

I still plan to open a lobby ASAP once I Gr my son to bed. We will run as many boost races as possible till the servers shut down. IF, there is a NATIONWIDE (is on your side) shutdown, I will host another lobby for everyone. Hopefully @Antares26 will beable to join us then as well.

if it doesn’t happen, i will do my best to put together another in the coming weeks.

Alright, so, @Antares26 is planning on hosting another lobby once the maintenance is over.

Please send CMW_NoirAntares a friend request if you are interested.

again, I will host this again soon, hopefully very soon.

@Neutty thanks so much for your work on keeping school open. I've always learned something. And thanks to helpers: @Antares26 @BGCaligula @Missedapex420. Driving with max boost and slip stream was eye opening. While I occasionally did a good job of following through corners, I also sent a number of people "To the moon, Alice! To the moon!". Sorry about that. And I forgive all those who did the same to me. Looking forward to next time.

Back