Tidgneys GT Sport Driving School

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 41 comments
Thanks for the kind words guys, hoping to get the next driving school out on Sunday!

Awesome videos and explanations, watched them all over the last two days and got my two best FIA results of the season.

I'd love to create a "TR Student" sticker for my liveries as a thank you but I find the decal uploader a nightmare lol.

Thanks Tidgney your a legend :cheers:

That's very kind mate, there is a Tidgney Racing decal on there but honestly don't feel you have to mate, I do these to help the community :)!

@Tidgney

I am curious, what do you use for FFB settings? I know all wheels are different but do you like a stiffer or looser feel?(mind outta the gutter mate)

I like the feel of stiffer FFB but I think it might be slower and more likely to cause spin outs. Maybe that just me? What is your idea of perfect FFB settings? How should the car feel?

I use 3/3 although at events I've had to go higher as the event wheels use more premium materials inside and it seems to mean the FFB is less? I prefer a bit of feeling but not huge FFB where I'm fighting. Now the reason for this is because if you're fighting the wheel your precision is reduced and therefore more problems can occur.

@LeGeNd-1 I think you're you referring to the second top 24 race of the official season last year where I pitted twice (in error because I didn't put enough fuel in). If you mean St Croix at the EMEA Final it's for the reason @RZQSPEED said but everyone had to use each tyre.

It's this one:

I think you mentioned in the interview afterwards that you made a mistake and didn't put enough fuel. Also I haven't watched the full race but it seems that you're not required to use every tyre compound?

I just wondered how pitting twice in this scenario works out as a 10 seconds advantage?

I use 3/3 although at events I've had to go higher as the event wheels use more premium materials inside and it seems to mean the FFB is less? I prefer a bit of feeling but not huge FFB where I'm fighting. Now the reason for this is because if you're fighting the wheel your precision is reduced and therefore more problems can occur.

Probably because those wheels at live events have been abused and not taken care of properly in between events, so you need stronger FFB because the internals are 🤬 :lol: Not because it's made of premium materials :P

Probably because those wheels at live events have been abused and not taken care of properly in between events, so you need stronger FFB because the internals are 🤬 :lol: Not because it's made of premium materials :P

Honestly the wheels at events are made of more premium parts internally for that very reason of being used a lot :P! They aren't the same as the consumer product

It's this one:

I think you mentioned in the interview afterwards that you made a mistake and didn't put enough fuel. Also I haven't watched the full race but it seems that you're not required to use every tyre compound?

I just wondered how pitting twice in this scenario works out as a 10 seconds advantage?

Yeah, that was the top 24 superstars online race which was before they started introducing different tyre compounds other than hards.

Because I had built a lead in my first stint and was on a 1 stop strategy and had forgot to put enough fuel in in my first stop, it actually meant I came out ahead of the 2 stoppers who had sort of undercut the 1 stoppers who were behind me in the first stint. During the next 2 laps I had clean air and fresh tyres and built up the gap to the 2 stoppers behind where the 1 stoppers were getting caught in the traffic of the 2 stoppers. I pit a second time at the same time as the 2 stoppers but because I didn't need to take tyres, I came out with a bigger advantage than what I had before. I'd love to say it was planned but it wasn't. :lol:

Them longer races definitely were more interesting last year lasting up to about 25 minutes. Now they're 15-18 minutes.

Honestly the wheels at events are made of more premium parts internally for that very reason of being used a lot :P! They aren't the same as the consumer product

So they’re kinda like Tour Issued golf clubs then, they look the same on the outside but they aren’t built with all the same materials on the inside. Makes sense, they get used a ton and a wheel failure at a live event that costs a guy his event wouldn’t look too good for TM or PD.

Didn't know that, interesting! Wish Thrustmaster would just extend that kind of quality to their consumer products tho, given their infamously high failure rates. My T-GT is 18 months old and still going ok, touch wood :P

Yeah, that was the top 24 superstars online race which was before they started introducing different tyre compounds other than hards.

Because I had built a lead in my first stint and was on a 1 stop strategy and had forgot to put enough fuel in in my first stop, it actually meant I came out ahead of the 2 stoppers who had sort of undercut the 1 stoppers who were behind me in the first stint. During the next 2 laps I had clean air and fresh tyres and built up the gap to the 2 stoppers behind where the 1 stoppers were getting caught in the traffic of the 2 stoppers. I pit a second time at the same time as the 2 stoppers but because I didn't need to take tyres, I came out with a bigger advantage than what I had before. I'd love to say it was planned but it wasn't. :lol:

Them longer races definitely were more interesting last year lasting up to about 25 minutes. Now they're 15-18 minutes.

I see, so it's basically the clean air and fresh tyres that made the difference. You said you didn't have to take tyres; is it possible to skip changing tyres in pitstops in normal FIA races online, or is this exclusive to the world tour events only?

I agree longer races are definitely more interesting and opens up more strategic opportunities (plus more realistic tyre/fuel consumption). I kinda hope the FIA races we have in game would be extended to 40-50 minutes, and quali is just based on practice times like daily races. But that causes problems as well because not everyone has oodles of time to set good quali times...

is it possible to skip changing tyres in pitstops in normal FIA races online
Yes, by simply pressing the option below the tyre choices during the tyre change portion of the pit stop. That option should be on the same position as the No Refuel option during the refuelling portion of it.

Yes, by simply pressing the option below the tyre choices during the tyre change portion of the pit stop. That option should be on the same position as the No Refuel option during the refuelling portion of it.

Darn I must be blind. This figures why sometimes people fly past during pitstops, even though I'm sure I have saved more fuel than them. Thanks 👍

Hey Tidgney, just want to say that your open letter to PD video is absolutely spot on 👍 We need more people like you who are fast/knowledgeable/articulate to stand up and represent the community. I don't have social media but someone really should tweet the video to Kaz. It'll give him plenty to think about between his driving stints at Mille Miglia.

For those who haven't watched, it's here:

I fully agree with the tyre/fuel issue and your solutions. Lower the wear rate and let us choose the starting fuel consumption. Longer races are good too. Someone has also proposed scaling the pitstop time to make it shorter in accordance with the multiplier. It could literally be drive into pits, pick tyre, pick fuel level and drive out.

Regarding points, I must say in the Oceania region it hasn't been so much of a problem as EMEA as there's not that many top drivers and generally there's decent point difference between splits. I agree that no one should get zero though. I like the idea of having base points based on the total DR of drivers, and the differences between positions lessened than it is now. Though that might make people more inclined to just hold station and not race for that final few points. This is quite complicated issue I'm afraid and there will always be room for improvement. If you place last in a top split, having driven the exact same perfect race time that would've netted you a win in 3rd/4th split, would that give you the same points for example?

The last point I agree the most. I'd like to see FIA entries restricted to just one shot. Real life racing has no restart or second chances. And so does the world tour events. One shot and that's it. The only exception is if you get disconnected, the game should have an algorithm to differentiate this from a forced quit (though you can technically force quit by pulling your modem, I don't know if that will show up differently on their server side as a network error). I'd also like the starting slots to be expanded, as not all people have evenings free and some just prefer to race in the morning/noon/night. Just have slots every hour on the day. Unfortunately this might spread out the drivers and ruin the points system above, so I'd understand if this is not the greatest idea. Points aside, as you said it's just not healthy to be cooped up in front of your TV/monitor for 6-7 hours in a row, as some people have been doing running every slot.

A few more things I'd change is set Slipstream to Real and Track Limits to Championship for all FIA races. Also this is just me, but I'd like to see 1x tyre/fuel applied to all other races too (GT League, Missions, Daily A/B). Real cars always consume tyres and fuel, so why remove this crucial element from the game? With 1x, those races would still be a no pit affair, but it would help people get used to driving the first corner with cold tyres and high fuel load, which would help make FIA race starts a lot cleaner (lower splits mainly, I know you top guys are all pretty clean anyway).

Hey All!

Sorry I've let this thread slip to Narnia or taking Super GT's words the Shadow Realm but I've updated all the topics above and as the next races for both Nations (Gr.1 so Hybrids) and Manufacturers (Fuel Saving) potentially require some techniques this video is quite timely (It actually wasn't planned like that either haha).

Anyway the latest video is now up for those interested :)!

Back