Time Travel

Folding space/time would be the best option for time travel. Since its already shown gravity distorting space also distorts time, this makes the most sense to me for how to get around to traveling through time. Just fold time in half like a piece of paper.
This is actually relevant to what I was going to add to the thread.

Over the years there have been many times where, like many other people, I've experienced "déjà vu," or I guess more accurately, déjà vécu. But unlike those who simply define it as a "fleeting sense of familiarity," I specifically remember having dreamt the conversation or event that I'm in (if only I could commit to keeping a dream journal...). I remember what someone is going to say next, I remember what my own response will be, and I remember my surroundings at the time and the things I saw. There have even been times where I've stumbled on a certain word in the dream (you know, when it's on the tip of your tongue but slips your mind), and used that experience to get it right when the event/conversation actually happens...but most of the time I'll just let myself say the same things and finish the conversation before bringing up the déjà vécu with my friends or whoever. I guess my mind is more comfortable doing that.

Here's my thought -- what if time isn't like a rigid line, but is actually more like a curled-up thread, a ruffled-up sheet, or distorted "space?" And what if different "points" in time occassionally brush against each other or barely touch, allowing the perception of these future events and causing the déjà vécu? What if dreams of past events are also caused by this? What if dreaming elevates us to a higher sense of awareness beyond our three-dimensional world? What if this perception of future/past events is what separates "realistic," vivid dreams from more vague ones, which are/could be entirely created by our own minds? What if vivid yet "weird" dreams are alternate realities or different "branches" in the timeline?

Come to think of it, what if time travel could be achieved by "switching" our consciousness over to ourselves at another date through this timeline "touching?" It wouldn't mean much for those who wish to go farther forward or back than their lifetimes, but that idea isn't so plausible anyway.

Though Famine, you did get own at one part there.

Yeah, self-owned too. It's easy to confuse yourself with this kind of stuff, and I cite Stephen Hawking again.

Yeah, self-owned too. It's easy to confuse yourself with this kind of stuff, and I cite Stephen Hawking again.

And I got owned by a typo there... which you have made infamous. :dunce:

Stephen Hawking is a very good person to quote in dealing with this. Though last I checked, had stated that time travel simply cannot happen.

Wolfe
Big talk on dream, etc

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have had similar experiences as well, where it feels exactly like I have done certain actions etc, when its just not possible.

I like the analogy I have though of, kinda. Time could be viewed like a roller coaster with lots and lots of loops in it, next to each other. Sometimes you can pull your head around to look over at the next loop, but you have to wait to get there. But seeing there would give you an idea of whats coming up.

Time travel would then be jumping the tracks, so to speak, onto another loop. Kinda like those Micro Machines like to do on some of the tracks you can build for them. Just hopefully without the giant laughing skull, snake, other evil thing.

I also had experiences of foreseeing a conversation in a dream several times.
Really strange, i thought i was the only one :)

It's intriguing to think about time as a bent line, instead of a straight one.

Reviving this very old thread because I'm watching a youtube clip about Project Pegasus. Andrew Basiago claims he was, as a child, a time traveller.

Is this guy a crackpot, a nut job, a crazy person or is he legit and time travel really does exist?

I'm actually from the future and came here to tell all of you that time travel isn't possible.

Now, Mallett is looking for funding to conduct real-life trials on his machine. Only time will tell if anything fruitful comes out of it.
He won't/doesn't get the funding...

If he did and he eventually builds the machine and then travels back in time, then the machine should already exist... the fact that it doesn't means he never does get it to work.

That said, if he did, it could ruin science funding councils... every lab leader in the world could buy one before applying for their next grant, and if they don't get it, they could just travel back in time, tweak their applications, and resubmit until they get what they want. It would be chaos.

You know, I am someone who tends to believe time travel may actually be possible. It is a piece of science fiction that could very well happen if the right technology is properly developed. I tend to believe traveling back in time is very possible. Perhaps even time travel ahead is also possible.

I think a clever use of time travel could be great for museums or certain other educational facilities. What if you visited a history museum and had the opportunity to see what the world was like during the end of the Middle Ages or what the early stages of the Industrial Revolution? What if you visited some music store and had the opportunity to time travel back to Woodstock in 1969? What if you went to a sports memorabilia shop and had a chance to time travel to watch athletes like Steve Young, Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Nolan Ryan, Wayne Gretzky, Mike Tyson, and other athletes in their prime?

Going AHEAD in time, however, is probably not possible. We would have to assume whatever happens in the future has already happened and that we are only going to find out what the future holds. As an example, how would you know if your 6-year old son or daughter involved would end up winning at least one championship in pro sports? How would you accurately predict that in a peaceful time, a vicious war, a crippling pandemic, or even a meteorite heading towards Earth will happen and cause otherworldly devastation?

If anything, time travel backwards is more likely than forwards in my view. It is much the same way you could replay live videos of the past instead of fast forwarding into the future of a live program. I don't know what technology could be developed and how you would take advantage of things... but it would sure be interesting seeing this fictional concept become a reality. Only other consideration would be if you would be committing any serious crime or destruction by trying to rewrite history through time travel.

You know, I am someone who tends to believe time travel may actually be possible. It is a piece of science fiction that could very well happen if the right technology is properly developed. I tend to believe traveling back in time is very possible.

If time travel back in time were possible, we'd be inundated with time traveling tourists.

If time travel back in time were possible, we'd be inundated with time traveling tourists.

Also the way I look at it. If it ever does exist, they'd already be coming here. No matter how present or in the moment we consider ourselves now, we are already "the past" to any future possibility of time travel. To anyone in any sort of future, they are the present, the moment, the now.

You'd also have to move through space as well as time to stop yourself reappearing in the vacuum of space.

If they did go into the past wouldn't they try their best to not get noticed? So we probably wouldn't know they're here?

If they did go into the past wouldn't they try their best to not get noticed? So we probably wouldn't know they're here?

If Star Trek IV (the time travelling one) has taught us anything, it's that St Petersburg will revert to being called Leningrad at some point.

That assumes we live in a time worth travelling to!

Anyway... my thoughts on it... If it's possible to travel back in time, but not forward, Time tourism would be a one way trip... and being honest, if you live in a time when such things were even possible, are you really going to give that up for a life in the past? When you're flicking through the brochure of time periods you can permanently emigrate to, why would you pick now?

That assumes we live in a time worth travelling to!
You wouldn't be curious to check out the great pandemic? There are such legends from that time! A world in lockdown in a time before we could use nanosubmarines to destroy viruses...

It's when sports began their transition from physical, to digital, to the intravenously injected sports we know and love in our time, and they say that at this time MechaTrump was actually a pretty fallible softbody human... Can you imagine?

You wouldn't be curious to check out the great pandemic?

Which one? The great diarrhoea quake of 2058? Spanish Flu? Covid-19? Nah... apparently back in those days, people used to put a little piece of really flimsy absorbent paper on their fingers and shove it up there ass. Based on archeological sales data, this past-time seemed to spike in popularity at the beginning of the 2020's.... no thanks... things were so uncivilised back then. Think I'll just do the holographic VR experience instead.

Which one? The great diarrhoea quake of 2058? Spanish Flu? Covid-19? Nah... apparently back in those days, people used to put a little piece of really flimsy absorbent paper on their fingers and shove it up there ass. Based on archeological sales data, this past-time seemed to spike in popularity at the beginning of the 2020's.... no thanks... things were so uncivilised back then. Think I'll just do the holographic VR experience instead.
Ew, life was so disgustingly unclean before personal nanobot swarms...

There are some who conjecture that UFOs and other unexplainable apparitions are time travelers visiting from our own future.

It may not be possible for the human body to continue to flourish or even exist in the world to come. However, our DNA, consciousness and will to survive and reproduce depend upon viruses to function. DNA and consciousness may be evolved or engineered into more durable outer lifeforms than the human body as we know it. Perhaps the bottom of the sea or deep in the Earth are better places for organisms to survive and adapt?

If you were to travel back in time 24 hours, you had best be wearing a space suit. Because the Earth will have moved thousands of miles in that time.

If you were to travel back in time 24 hours, you had best be wearing a space suit. Because the Earth will have moved thousands of miles in that time.
This is something covered by Robert Rankin in one of his many very bizarre books featuring the greatest man who ever lived - Hugo Artemis Solon Saturnicus Reginald Arthur Rune. It's also an explanation for the annual reappearance of spirits: they're always there, it's just the Earth orbits away from them, only to catch up with them a year later.

Anyway, time travel into the future is indeed possible. We're all doing it, all the time, at a rate of almost exactly one second's travel into the future each second.

Anyway, time travel into the future is indeed possible. We're all doing it, all the time, at a rate of almost exactly one second's travel into the future each second.
That's all well and good, but I'm a racer and I wanna go faster

Time for weight reduction.

... apparently back in those days, people used to put a little piece of really flimsy absorbent paper on their fingers and shove it up there ass.

Speak for thy self! Water jets are the way forward.

Sure about that? Maybe you should re-read the 2nd page of this thread more closely... ;)

Thanks to a physics experiment that went wrong, I actually time-travelled to the year 2020 and trust me, it isn't worth it. A pandemic hits and basically destroys the world economy... :(

In fact, I would go as far to say that you should actively seek out a time machine and hope that you can miss out 2020 altogether, either by travelling back to now (or earlier) or spin forward to 2030, by which time the global economy may have almost recovered.

Also,

Kimi wins his only F1 world title this year, but by 2020 Lewis Hamilton is a 6-time world champion... oh, and Donald 🤬 Trump is the President of the USA :lol: :ill:

:odd:

Back