msgt-sd
The
Time Trial Challenge Series
Sundays at 3 PM ET

“5 x 15 minute online time trials on randomly selected combos every Sunday”

Club ID: 1059170

Next Event: TBD​

Introduction
We run 5 x 15 minute online time trials on randomly selected combos every Sunday. Cars and tracks are filtered and selected in such a way to ensure a variety of challenging combos. For each combo, points are awarded based on finishing position, and an overall winner is crowned each week.

Combo Selection
The 5 combos for the week are selected with a modified version of my combo generator. The combos could be almost anything, and there is the potential for tough weather and night conditions. The combos are generated shortly before racing begins and not revealed until then. Thus, when it comes to practice, everyone is on a level playing field when a given time trial begins. The major challenge in this series is to see how quickly you can adapt to a combo in such a short period of time.

To ensure a variety of different combos, the following general car filters are applied:
2016-03-07_combo_filters_table.JPG

The combos are run in a random order. You can see how the cars are grouped into Race, Tuner, Street, Kart, or Rally classes here.

So that everyone has the cars for the week already in their garage come race time, the possible cars are restricted to the list of 10 cars shown in post #2. Before joining the room, make sure you have all those cars in your garage and that each car has had an oil change. If the car cannot receive an oil change, then you should overhaul the engine. After racing has concluded each week, 5 new possible cars for the next week are randomly generated using the filters listed above. These new cars replace the cars just raced in the list of possible cars. Drivers are encouraged to NOT practice driving the cars before we run them in the time trials.

You can see the club's combo history here.

There is a points championship every week. Points are awarded based on finishing position in each time trial according to the table below. Points ties are broken by comparing the number of 1st places, then 2nd places, and so on. If there's still a tie after that, then it goes to the driver who competed in the most rounds. If the drivers competed in the same number of rounds, then the tie-breaker goes to the driver with the fastest total time.
2016-03-13_points_system.JPG

*To be eligible for the bonus, the driver must complete his first lap before any other driver completes a second lap.

Track Boundaries
Unless otherwise specified in the lobby online, these are the track boundary rules:
  • At least 2 tires must be in contact with the track at all times.
  • Rumble strips are part of the track.
  • No contact with walls, cones, or other objects.
  • White lines are NOT a track boundary, unless stated as such in the lobby. An example of an exception is the Silverstone Stowe circuit, where the white lines do serve as the track boundary.
  • If you think you might have violated the track boundaries and you were not penalized by the game, penalize yourself, removing any advantage you may have gained, by letting off the gas for a minimum of 3 seconds.
Event Registration
Fill out the form linked below to register for the next event. After filling out the form and refreshing this page, your name should appear in the registration table. The form will close an hour before racing begins. On Sunday, the room title and ID will be posted in this thread when the room is created. If more than 16 drivers register, room splits will be posted as well.

Register here

[dropbox]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ientsm4oxsnkmji/registration.png[/dropbox]

Last edited:
Hi msgt-sd!

If you are looking for a Time Trial, then please go to this following link. It does also Time Trial Events, in case if you didn't notice.

Sorry for advertising.

I'm interested, but I need to see my schedule first.

Hey @Harsk100, thanks for the invite, but the concept for this series is a bit different.

Done. ;)

Also, I've changed the penalty level for the room settings to "strong".
Alright. Will log in tonight and get that accepted. We gonna run this Sunday?

Alright. Will log in tonight and get that accepted. We gonna run this Sunday?
Cool. Yes, this Sunday at 3 PM EST. I'll have the room up 15 mins early. A handful of guys have said they'll be there. This week we'll just be using the one-make cars that PD provides.

Incompatible with host errors now. Catch ya'll next week.
Yeah, that was a mess. I think it ended up taking 30 mins for the disconnections to stop happening. I eventually set the race quality to 1 star and the voice chat quality to the lowest setting. Maybe that helped, who knows. We ended up running 7 different combos.

Thanks to @Ricky_Blayz, @Dragonwhisky, @Ricky Wilson, @MikeGrove, @Vegasracer, and @mistersafeway for coming out. That was fun. We'll try it again next week. ;)

Sometime in the next couple of days I'll post a pool of cars for everyone to have in their garage for next Sunday. I think I'll post 8 cars, 2 for each combo type listed in post #1. Any of the 8 cars we don't use next Sunday will remain in the car pool for future Sundays. If you don't have a large garage or many credits, now's the time to grind for credits.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting!

Schmedracer told me about this last night and after looking at what it entails, I'm in!

Awesome! :) I'll have the room open a little before 3 PM EST on Sunday.

Also, I'm thinking we try 5, instead of 4, generated combos this week. Once the connection issues stopped last week, the next 5 combos seemed to fly by. After running the first 5 randomly generated combos, if people want to run more time trials, we can just pick the cars and tracks through consensus.

For those first 5, how's this for the general car filters for each combo? I've grouped the cars into Race, Tuner, Street, Kart, and Rally classes. See the car classification list here.
  • Combo A: Race or Tuner car >= 600 PP
  • Combo B: Race or Tuner car < 600 PP
  • Combo C: Street car or Kart >= 500 PP
  • Combo D: Street car or Kart < 500 PP
  • Combo E: Rally car
In addition to those filters, I'll be using some others when generating the combos. For example, we won't run any track longer than Chamonix - Main, which is 5.13 mi, and we won't run a kart, if it's picked, on tracks with long straights. I'm still thinking through these other filters and settings. Also, I will publish my "modified combo generator" in the next couple of weeks for people to play with so you can see how I come up with the combos before racing begins.

Tomorrow morning, I'll post a list of 10 cars (2 possibilities for each combo listed above) to have in your garage for Sunday. No car will be over 3 million credits.

Alright, here's the list of possible cars for this Sunday (Feb. 21):

upload_2016-2-17_11-12-3.png

Any car not used this Sunday will stay in the rotation for the next week.

Last edited:
So, I should go buy all of those cars? WTP?! You tryin' ta' deplete me resources bub?

I might actually have to sell off a bank car or two.

So, I should go buy all of those cars? WTP?! You tryin' ta' deplete me resources bub?

I might actually have to sell off a bank car or two.
Haha, I never said this club was cheap! And to be clear, you can use cars you already own. Just make sure you have oil changes and no tunes on the cars.

We had the same connection issues as last week with people getting dropped during the first 2 combos, but it seemed to settle down after that.

Here are the combos we ran:

Race 1 (Combo D)
upload_2016-2-21_18-13-59.png

Race 2 (Combo E)
upload_2016-2-21_18-14-27.png

Race 3 (Combo A)
upload_2016-2-21_18-10-49.png

Race 4 (Combo C)
upload_2016-2-21_18-13-30.png

Race 5 (Combo B)
upload_2016-2-21_18-13-0.png

The Nissan GT-R Concept LM Race Car was a beast and a lot of fun to drive. I liked the London and Chamonix combos too. @Rednose58 and I ran the exact same time in Race 5, but he got the edge I think since he completed his about a second before I did. Great job. ;)

The 5 cars we raced this week will be dropped from the car list, and 5 new ones will be added. I'll update the car list for next week shortly. Edit: The list has been updated.

Last edited:
So, that car list in post 2 the current batch?

Finally had to burn one of my bank cars.

Last edited:
The room is up. It's a public club room, so you can find it in the open lobby.

Room Name (for now): "TT Challenge - starting soon"
Room ID: 1472-4711-0038-4895-8845

Let's try to get things rolling on time today. It's taken us awhile to get started the past couple of weeks.

Edit: room closed.

Last edited:
Back