Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 24,098 comments

seadog777

Premium
Malaysia
Iskandar
seadog777
I know there are a couple of other threads about time trials but they seem to be more about rewards (or lack of) than the event.
Starting this for those that want to discuss the tracks, cars techniques etc, like the one over at GTS Forum.

Kick off with a couple of comments about LeMans:

1) I don't think I've ever driven LeMans in the dark before - Wow! Lovely!
2) I'm well used to being many, many seconds behind Aliens in the Time Trials on GTS. But this is a whole different level! I know LeMans well, took the Peugeot 908 out and finished..... around...... 40 seconds off the leader!! How on earth do they do that???? 3 minutes 10 seconds??? OMG!
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Time Trials are a brilliant way to gauge how you're progressing as a driver and am so glad they're back here.

Last edited:
Managed a 3:18.0 (I think) with the 787b, probably going to leave it there as the car is a mighty handful. I'm 8 seconds off the top but have a really high placement, I feel like people aren't really taking as much interest in this one.

Probably a few factors going into that though.

I noticed that also the presentation of the results has improved after 1.16. Even on the 4.500st position, it was easy to find my time :sly:

Question: is it possible to overlook the results of past time trials (at this moment there is only 1 I think)? Or do they disappear forever when the new trial is published?

Managed a 3:18.0 (I think) with the 787b, probably going to leave it there as the car is a mighty handful. I'm 8 seconds off the top but have a really high placement, I feel like people aren't really taking as much interest in this one.

Probably a few factors going into that though.
I was struggling to get to 3:20 and then was 1.8 sec ahead of my best time mid-way through sector 3. Car slid a bit and I didn't think I left the track but got a 0.5 penalty 😢 would have been around your time too 😤

I put in a slow lap (8 min) to see how many entries there are thus far. It's currently got me in 14 000th place.

That's a smart way to find number of players! Happy I was quicker than say 3,000 or so!
There's a site online that logged all of these for GTS and I've sent a message to ask if they'll be doing it for GT7.

There were at least 54,000 entrants for the last one at Suzaka. I won't disclose how I know that...... 🤣

Last edited:
I saw the top time replay of 3:10... I am astonished at how he does not get penalties for track limits. The way the lap was done felt so irreleastic.

I only did 3 laps so far using also the meta 787B which for some reason is so much faster than anything else (well, it got BoP'd to be faster than the stock car itself). And was able to put a 3:17, I have no way of knowing how in hell am I going to overcome 7 seconds in a track with so few technical corners.

LMP1 cars got quite shafted here...

There were at least 54,000 entrants for the last one at Suzaka. I won't disclose how I know that...... 🤣
About 3 or 4 minutes of constantly pressing R1 or X... Been there mate. Last I saw for Suzuka, I was at least on over 60k... It's a really good way to know how good you are. PD should give us a Quality of Life solution for us to know the actual number of players participating.

I was astonished to know I was in the top 350 players out of 60k (at least)... That's the top 0.5% of players. What I really wanted to know though is how many of those 300+ players that finished ahead of me used to get those times, between a controller or a wheel (I used a controller).

Last edited:
Alright. I'm game for time trials now that there's more competitive incentive added to them. Anyone who goes under 1:36.000 is mad

Alright. I'm game for time trials now that there's more competitive incentive added to them. Anyone who goes under 1:36.000 is mad
Had about half a hour and managed bronze time can't remember but I'm about a second off silver, gold looks and feels pretty unachievable at my level, but I'm going to keep trying to improve its actually quite fun and I'm glad they have made it easy to load in best ghost now as I was trying this week to find a way so that's a big help, I just wish when I loaded it in it gave the same info e.g time difference and the little arrows showing if your gaining or loosing out.

Have managed a 1:37.586 after driving for about half an hour, pretty pleased with that - I'm hoping it keeps me in the gold bracket for the next two weeks but there's room for improvement if needs be.

Sitting at a 38.5 after 12 laps, of which 9 were invalid because of penalties and another 2 I could scratch because I had to serve said penalties. What a dumb idea to make it like this. Invalidate my lap time if I did something bad but don't punish me for the next lap as well :banghead:

Have managed a 1:37.586 after driving for about half an hour, pretty pleased with that - I'm hoping it keeps me in the gold bracket for the next two weeks but there's room for improvement if needs be.
Do you use ABS?
ABS made me improve my time by 7 seconds ... (I'm @ 1.45 now, just bronze)

Edit: Do not misunderstand me: I'm not suggesting you should improve by using ABS :-) Just trying to find out if I should.

Last edited:
Do you use ABS?

Edit: Do not misunderstand me: I'm not suggesting you should improve by using ABS :-) Just trying to find out if I should.
ABS is the only assist I have on, yeah. It's the only one that makes you faster - anything else on slows you down.

Excellent update in terms of what they did with the Time Trials with the credit rewards and how they are given. Fair amounts and limits. And the TT statistics history in one’s profile is a super nice touch as well. Well done!

Last edited:
You people going faster than 1:39 are absolutely insane IMO.

I can only manage 1:40:040.

Any tips for a casual like me?
  • Keep the revs above 6000 rpm, as that's where the turbo kicks in. Go too far below it, and you'll get insane turbo lag (that annihilates your pace). The exception to this rule are turns 1, and turn 3 (to a small extent). For turn 1, you'll need a late apex and be aggressive on the throttle to avoid having the rpm dip too far down. For me, I do a late turn-in there.
  • Turn 5 (right turn after the loooong left turn), shifting down as you brake can get the car into a neat little slide, which will help it get around the turn. Slam on the throttle as you exit the turn. For Turn 5, brake before going under the Gran Turismo banner.
  • Turn 7 (left turn before the banked right turn) is where sliding kills your momentum, so you'll need a lot of trail braking.. and probably brake a bit earlier than what you think to avoid the sliding.
  • Turns 10-11 (left turn that leads to the right hairpin) are brutal. Start easing on the brakes BEFORE you make the left turn, and only use full braking power once you have your steering input in a straight line for turn 11. Going full braking as you turn left will send you into the wall. Ask me how I know. 😅

And in general for this car: if using full braking power, brake in a straight line.

- Final chicane, you don't want to slide around there, as that kills your momentum.

Pic of my current time in spoiler below.
FV74RWzUcAACM3G.jpg

• Keep the revs above 6000 rpm, as that's where the turbo kicks in. Go too far below it, and you'll get insane turbo lag (that annihilates your pace). The exception to this rule are turns 1, and turn 3 (to a small extent). For turn 1, you'll need a late apex and be aggressive on the throttle to avoid having the rpm dip too far down. For me, I do a late turn-in there.
  • Turn 5 (right turn after the loooong left turn), shifting down as you brake can get the car into a neat little slide, which will help it get around the turn. Slam on the throttle as you exit the turn. For Turn 5, brake before going under the Gran Turismo banner.
  • Turn 7 (left turn before the banked right turn) is where sliding kills your momentum, so you'll need a lot of trail braking.. and probably brake a bit earlier than what you think to avoid the sliding.
  • Turns 10-11 (left turn that leads to the right hairpin) are brutal. Start easing on the brakes BEFORE you make the left turn, and only use full braking power once you have your steering input in a straight line for turn 11. Going full braking as you turn left will send you into the wall. Ask me how I know. 😅

And in general for this car: if using full braking power, brake in a straight line.

- Final chicane, you don't want to slide around there, as that kills your momentum.

Pic of my current time in spoiler below.
You are MENTAL :bowdown: I'll try this later.

By the way. If you cannot get to a low 1.38 fairly quickly at the Escudo time trial (like within 1-2 hours), then it is not worth it from a payout perspective. I think silver will be attainable to many who put some effort into it though 🤔

1.37.687 is my best lap. Escudo is wild and fun to drive, I like it.

With 1.17 update, PD introduced credit reward online TTs based on your percentage behind world's best time.
There are three rewards: 2 000 000 for 3%, 1 000 000 for 5% and 200 000 for 10% (I think).

First TT is Suzuki Escudo at Alsace.

I'm currently in 3.57% with 1:38.9, 1:38.3 is needed for getting into 3%...

Where are you?

I just did about 10 laps and got down to 2.97% with a 1:38.339 (Gold is a 1:38.456 or something)

Hopefully 1st place doesn't improve!

Last edited:
I like this change .
Points online challenges in the right direction.
I hope for more at least two or three in a one Week cycle 😍
1.42 atm 🥉

Last edited:
Do you use ABS?

I'm 1:45 also at the moment. had 30minutes last night after I noticed there's prize involved now.

I just managed a 1:38.342, which just sneaks me into gold by a hundredth or two. I wonder how long it will be before I have to better that.

Back