Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 29,365 comments
And now for something completely different.

I thought I'd paste the 54 car and track combinations we've had so far into a word cloud generator. I cheated a bit by taking out variations (for the 'ring for example, removing Nordschleife, 24h, GP) and removing 'autodromo', 'circuit' etc. from names.

1702026924442.png

Thanks a bunch!
You're welcome.
It simply isn't doable with controller.
It is no walk in the park with a wheel. I get through the first chicane maybe 1 out of 6 times (none the first 20 or so goes - had to go back to watch what Kie and Tidgney did) and that is with lifting a bit before Kie or Tidgney lift. At least there I know what to do; I understand the lift and turn-in point, and that there is then a bounce off the kerb lottery. Doesn't mean it is easy, but I understand it.

The second chicane I have no idea how people get through there at around 130mph. I watched several videos in super slow motion but when I try to replicate it, even with braking much earlier, I just cannot get through the right hander more than 1 in 20 times. The guy who was second last night - he is 4th now - Busi, does not even do the grass-cutting move. He somehow brakes a little AFTER leaving the kerb leading into the chicane, drops to 4th, casually turn left nowhere near the grass, then right nowhere near the grass and powers out with room to spare on the left, all while not dropping below I think 129mph. Usually I can watch the top people and at least understand and replicate what they do, even though I'd do it 1 or 2% slower. But that chicane has me stumped.

I think I'll stick with Watkins Glen and might then return to Kyoto if the next one is a bore. Anyway, we have to save our energy for the Kaz Christmas bonus; Nürburgring Nordschleife in the rain in the Tomahawk on Comfort Hard tyres. With tuning allowed.

Thanks mate, very happy to be back on track with friendly faces :)
I just came back 2 days ago, just in time to get silver at Willow with the BRZ.

:cheers:
Wb, I haven't seen you post in over a couple weeks, did you go on vacation or something? Have you seen the new Bugatti TT, it's at one of the layouts of the Kyoto Racing park.

Wb, I haven't seen you post in over a couple weeks, did you go on vacation or something? Have you seen the new Bugatti TT, it's at one of the layouts of the Kyoto Racing park.
Hello Chris, thanks for your kind message. Hope you're fine !
No vacations (sadly, I must wait May 2024 for our next holidays), just lot of work for clients and also, I took more time for me and my wife :) I had a "long pit stop" :D

Yes, I saw the Bugatti TT and I already scored a decent siver this morning (1.18.7xx). I don't think I'll put more time in this one, as I'm happy with that.

New TT looks fun. I've not tried it yet, but I have to give PD some praise as the TTs have been very unique as of late. I like the combos of cars that are otherwise not used much. I did have to buy the Bugatti (as I already had the VGT but the non-GR1 version) but I don't mind doing that as it gives me an excuse to buy a car I likely wouldn't otherwise.

And now for something completely different.

I thought I'd paste the 54 car and track combinations we've had so far into a word cloud generator. I cheated a bit by taking out variations (for the 'ring for example, removing Nordschleife, 24h, GP) and removing 'autodromo', 'circuit' etc. from names.

View attachment 1309796
Man it would be cool to see that pictorial representation of the Daily Races.* Might be moot though as Gr3, Gr4, and Maggiore would be so big they'd take up the whole picture. :lol:

*Please don't read into that as I am not asking anyone to do such a thing. Seriously. It would just be cool to see.

Last edited:
New TT looks fun. I've not tried it yet, but I have to give PD some praise as the TTs have been very unique as of late. I like the combos of cars that are otherwise not used much. I did have to buy the Bugatti (as I already had the VGT but the non-GR1 version) but I don't mind doing that as it gives me an excuse to buy a car I likely wouldn't otherwise.

Man it would be cool to see that pictorial representation of the Daily Races.* Might be moot though as Gr3, Gr4, and Maggiore would be so big they'd take up the whole picture. :lol:

*Please don't read into that as I am not asking anyone to do such a thing. Seriously. It would just be cool to see.
If there is a list of daily race tracks and cars, doing the cloud is dead easy. Not sure if such a lists exists, but if you point me to one, I'd be happy to do the cloud.

The new TT at Kyoto is a funny one, the chicane is completely hit or miss. The kerbs either throw you into the wall or it randomly grips up.

Still not sure if a quick downshift to 3rd on the chicane helps or not to be honest, think my quickest lap was done leaving it in 4th while closing my eyes and hoping for the best :D

Last edited:
If there is a list of daily race tracks and cars, doing the cloud is dead easy. Not sure if such a lists exists, but if you point me to one, I'd be happy to do the cloud.
I know one exists, but I don't recall where. I believe it's already in spreadsheet form as well.

Anyone remember the site that tracks the Dailies?

Thanks a lot mate!

I see in your signature that you're using automatic transmission. You have probably heard this before and probably have your reasons. Learning manual will do wonders for your pace.
I feel like the impact of MT vs AT is generally a bit overrated. I am by no means a top driver, but I have improved considerably over the last weeks to the point where I am often in the 5th percentile, sometimes better than that. I drive AT exclusively, mostly because my G29 shifter pedal is so flaky :) ... and I still do not think that it's primarily the AT that is holding me back from faster times as much as my own skill level.

I guess it also depends a lot on the actual combo.

I feel like the impact of MT vs AT is generally a bit overrated. I am by no means a top driver, but I have improved considerably over the last weeks to the point where I am often in the 5th percentile, sometimes better than that. I drive AT exclusively, mostly because my G29 shifter pedal is so flaky :) ... and I still do not think that it's primarily the AT that is holding me back from faster times as much as my own skill level.

I guess it also depends a lot on the actual combo.
That is true ofcourse, realy depends on the combo, but you sometimes have an advantage to skip a gear to prevent wheelspin without tractioncontrol which sometimes is a lot faster on exit. ( not mentioning the sausing action the other way :lol: :lol: )
But i must say that you have way more control with MT, so i would say it realy makes a difference in most cases

Man it would be cool to see that pictorial representation of the Daily Races.* Might be moot though as Gr3, Gr4, and Maggiore would be so big they'd take up the whole picture.
I have one in my signature
Thank you to @Hasnain282 for the database. I have again removed words such as raceway, circuit, international, etc. which are generic. Just a spot of Friday fun.

There is a minimalist version under Race A, B and C, and under All there is also a more elaborate version.

1702044793087.png

1702044839592.png

1702044876043.png

1702044929029.png

Or this more decorative version

wordcloud (1).jpg

Thank you to @Hasnain282 for the database. I have again removed words such as raceway, circuit, international, etc. which are generic. Just a spot of Friday fun.

There is a minimalist version under Race A, B and C, and under All there is also a more elaborate version.

View attachment 1309854

Or this more decorative version

View attachment 1309858
It's unfortunate I can't "Like", "Fire", and "WOW" on one post. Very cool, thanks!

Today’s morning was a bit hectic. After so many tries, I Managed to improve my time from 1:16.683 to 1:16.388 in a single lap.

Last sector could be faster but I was cautious not to go wide and ruin the whole lap.

I play with ds5 controller

Very smooth lap on that DS5!, if I see this....maby ill try one more time 🤣🤣🤣

I wasn't able to work on the WG TT yesterday. I spent all my time completing the Weekly Challenges. But I'm back today.

I had time for about 20 laps, but I wasn't able to make any progress. Optimal is still a 1:20.8xx so at least I still seem to be dialed in with the Alpine. I think if I can manage a 1:20 lap, I'll move on to the new TT at Kyoto.

@TumeK5 nice video! It was really interesting hearing the differences in the engine sounds between all the cars.

@Pesselles welcome back!

Paging @Gomario JSP! :D Back to Watkins Glen today after an evening in the Bugatti. Both cars may be French, but I forgot how differently they handled! It took a few laps to get used to the Alpine again. Anyway...I really should have been in the 1:20.4's considering my time at the end of sector 2 (the lowest split I've ever had that far into a lap), but I turned into the second to last corner way too late and completely missed the apex. By the way, in the 60+ miles I ran, it was my only clean lap. :crazy:

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

1:17.0 on the Bugatti one. Good enough. I feel there is too much RNG on this track where you have to cut the chicane... sometimes it works out and sometimes you die. It's annoying and makes it much less fun, IMO.

The car itself is really fun to drive. Took a few laps for me to realize you have to trust the downforce. You can really throw the car into the turns while aggressively trail-braking and she'll stick. I was being way too apprehensive through T1 and T4 (is it?).

May the [down]force be with you. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back