Tips for drifting with the dual shock...

• Thread starter 128d
  • 54 comments
Okay this has been driving me crazy. I can drift most of the smaller turns but for thi life of me I still hant seem to drift the longer u turns. I either oversteer or not have enough speed to keep the drift. Does anyone have any suggestions?

use a higher hp car or slicker tires or maybe use a 4wd and slam the brakes on until ur totaly sideways and countersteer and floor it (catch my drift told me the)

Welcome to GTP.......practice, practice, practice. I use a controller too, and that's what everyone told me when I asked.

i use a controller and i usually use a nissan! Nimso Power! i know its really mugen power but nissan rules

check out my two r34 videos

you just hafta get used to holding the analog stick in one place like a guy with a steering wheel will hold the wheel in one place. This implies very precise control over the dual shock

dont use the d-pad it wont give you a smooth looking drift. take a medium hp car like a Silvia 1800cc with stage 1 turbo and sims. in a drift, control the gas where it is still giving you the power to move and the power to slip the tires . using the analog may be hard at first, but counter-steer gently and counter-steer WITH the controlled gas. this makes the drift smooth and less jerking of the wheels. :D = makes drifts look good!

Originally posted by codered_59
so most of u drifters use the analog sticks for BOth GAS/BRAKE and steering?!
I have hears some do, but i think that it's very hard. tried it once and i didnt like it. i'll stick with my default

Originally posted by 128d
Okay this has been driving me crazy. I can drift most of the smaller turns but for thi life of me I still hant seem to drift the longer u turns. I either oversteer or not have enough speed to keep the drift. Does anyone have any suggestions?

dont mix tires..

so most of u drifters use the analog sticks for BOth GAS/BRAKE and steering?!

i use buttons and analog for steering i have the stick for gas/brake and i find the left stick has more range of motion and better response....plus i got used to it while playing midnight club 2 lol

LOL! yes. midnight club 2! such a hilarious game.....in my opinion, I consider midnight club 2 to be the most opposite version of GT3

slipstream turbo and 2 wheel driving......OH MY!

LOL! yes. midnight club 2! such a hilarious game.....in my opinion, I consider midnight club 2 to be the most opposite version of GT3

slipstream turbo and 2 wheel driving......OH MY!

whats that have to do w/ drifting w/ dual shock????

nothign really, just wanted to reply to stuff about midnight club 2....=p

oh, one other question: what do u guys use for drifting, AT or MT?

I use an Automatic Transmission.

I don't believe there is any difference other than the fact that you press more buttons to keep in a certain gear in GT3. It's not like in real life where there is a clutch to step on.

Originally posted by xsyorra
Manual Trans.....it gives you more control, and greater flexibility when you need it.

yup... its easy to keep the car in it torque range instead of the CPU upshifting when you still have 2000 RPM left...

You can control that by holding the R2 button to stay in gear, but that just gets confusing, and since I drive a stick already, I'll just keep with what I know.

I cant stand using MT for drifting, I prefer to use AT.
I also use the controller, I'll buy a wheel when GT4 is released. I'll try to get some vids posted so you all can view, I just have to install my capture card and practice a bit more.

you use at too so do i if i find im gonna need to shift down and stay in that gear i use it like a weird manual by tapping the brake until i shifted down then holding the right button to stay in that gear unless the rpm's drop

for one thing it depends on the car. A 300HP RWD car should hold a long drift but at the same time i have a bone stock FTO that i can hold a drift to complete the full circles on complex string.....but if u want a long drift for RWD first u need to get a good start out drift which i just shift the weight and then use power over to hold the drift with throttle and steering movements to balance the car........one other thing is to put simulation tires on the rear and try sports on front just so u have some grip on your car. hope that somewhat helps.... or maybe i am just repeating what everybody else is saying.:lol:

yeah with manual i always downshift which induces massive oversteer depending on how much you over rev. this also called shift-lock for those of you that dont know.

Originally posted by jack_e_campbell
i dont see how drifting with the Dual Shock is a problem for everyone???? is using a steering wheel a ****load easier then?

yes, you have more control.. it makes the drifts look alot smoother and nicer in replays.. because you dont see the wheels twitching..

Back