Tire options

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thatman
  • 31 comments
  • 1,537 views
Messages
2,267
United States
W92.46 N44.02
Messages
Thatmanthere
Messages
A Zany Husky
All right, I am getting tires for my Talon and although not right now, but within the next month or two when weather is better here.There are 4 im looking at and I dont care about tread life but I do want to turn faster and generally have fun with handling and braking(Yes I know bad car to start with) they will be driven up until we get at least 2 inches of snow and thats when I'll switch to my other set. But at the same time, I will also be driving my other car on the highway more often and this wont be my primary car anymore. As far as i know these are the best tires for my car and the prices.

Bridegstone Potenza G009 Trac:A Temp :A speed:H weather: not sure Load: 91 w Tread:400 $537.16

BFG Supersport A/S Trac:A Temp:A Speed: ZR weather: All season Load:? Tread:460 $514.86

Firestone Firehawk GT Trac:A Temp:A Speed:V weather: All Season Load:? Tread:460 $493.88

Goodyear American Eagle H2 Trac:A Temp:A speed:H weather:A/S load:SL Tread:11/32? $476.04 w/10% off

Kumho 716 Solus Trac:A Temp:A Speed:HR weather: All Season Load:89 Tread: 360 $387.76

Now I know some of you may say not to waste my money on tires that are worth more then the car, but I'll do what I want with my car because I think my car is worth way more then it is. So If you will give me some advice on these tires THANKS!!
 
tires are like oil. everybody has an opinion.

i recommend black and round.
 
I have potenza G009's on my Prelude and they are good all around tires, you could even use them in the snow easily. I was under the impression that they are no longer in production though?
 
Click around on TireRack.com and you should find some decent write-ups on each of those tires, and if you're lucky, a comparison of them as well. I tend not to be too big of a fan of the Bridgestone/Firestone tires due to previous experiences with some of my Dad's cars, however, we've had very good luck with Goodyear and Michelin in the past.

As I recall, BF Goodrich tires generally perform quite well and come in at a low price. I'd normally go that route, but I have no idea how that one in particular stacks up against the others...
 
tires are like oil. everybody has an opinion.

i recommend black and round.
Yes. With the selection you're browsing you might as well close your eyes and pick the cheapest one. They all suck, really. I have driven on the Kuhmo 716 (they were on my Del Sol when I first bought it) and they were terrible on dry pavement and terrible in the rain. Of course, I like driving quickly, but they didn't inspire any confidence at all. The other tires in the class are going to be very similar in characteristics. I would choose on price.
 
I'd suggest the Yokohama Avid H4S, my dad has them on his car and they really are great tires, not to mention you can get them for fairly cheap at TireRack. What size tires are you running?
 
I'm not familiar with any of the particular tires you've got listed there, but I'm partial to Bridgestones, Michelins, and Dunlops. I'm not a big fan of Goodyears and Firestones.
 
I'm not familiar with any of the particular tires you've got listed there, but I'm partial to Bridgestones, Michelins, and Dunlops. I'm not a big fan of Goodyears and Firestones.

I'm a big fan of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. In a straight choice between them and Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, I'd pick whichever happened to be cheaper at the time.

That said, they may not be too suitable for heavier cars, but I've got T1-Rs on the ST220 right now. Still wearing in, but a lot better than the crap that was on it, if a little noisier.


With tyres I'd always look for Toyo Proxes (T1-S, T1-R or the new 4 - or 888s if you're feeling cheeky and spend a lot of time on track), Eagle F1 GSD3 or Avon ZV3s. Maybe Michelin Pilot Sport too.
 
Those bridgestones that the GTR wears and the lesser scoobie oem version are good to. Love my eagle f1 gsd3's hated my dunlops sp sports 2000's. Tried out a falken tire, dont know which one specifically but its not bad at all. Has a really nice rim protector edge to it aswell that looks better than the rim protector on my GSD3's.
 
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Falken Azenis?

Frankly, for the money, I've never seen a better tire, and magazine tests and reviews only support my opinion.

A set for my car costs 73 dollars a tire, it's hard to find a good tire under 85 bucks.
 
Well thanks guys for all the feedback It helps me out, Now The reason I put those tires as the choices are because those are the ones availible in my area. And I'd rather not order from Tire Rack is because then the warrenty that I get from buying them locally is obviously not there. Although I did try looking at each tire on tire rack some of them werent there but the ones that were all had reviews of 8 or higher. But I'd trust more so what people here say because I come to this forum often. Um sombody asked what type of size I have, 205/55R16 so there you go, thanks.
 
It looks like a lot of the mentioned tires are mostly sport-related, and aren't snow ready. You're going to have to shell out a lot of money for snow-ready sports tires, and I'm not sure if the treadwear ratings are all that good either (I may be mistaken).

Keep looking around. As far as all-season performance goes, I don't think you can really go wrong with a Goodyear or Michelin tire.
 
You can get toyo t1-r's and gsd3's in your size, and since when do you get a warranty with a tyre? Buy them off the internet and save $$$.
 
It looks like a lot of the mentioned tires are mostly sport-related, and aren't snow ready. You're going to have to shell out a lot of money for snow-ready sports tires, and I'm not sure if the treadwear ratings are all that good either (I may be mistaken).

Keep looking around. As far as all-season performance goes, I don't think you can really go wrong with a Goodyear or Michelin tire.
The tires he listed in his first post are all average all-season tires. Stuff an old lady would put on her Corolla.
 
The tires he listed in his first post are all average all-season tires. Stuff an old lady would put on her Corolla.

I have G009's on my Prelude and they arent as bad as you say, and like I said in my first post, I was under the impression that they were no longer being made but that could be wrong.
 
None of them are bad tires at all. I drove my Del Sol with Kuhmo 716s for a long time. They just weren't good enough, because I desire high performance limits and am willing to replace my tires every summer.

Plus, all his picks will work fine in cold temperatures. They don't excel at anything but they work just fine at everything.
 
I don't know how they perform on snow, but I have Kumho KH16s on my Accent. Grips almost as well as my dad's C55 on Eagle F1s. Kumho makes a good tire, but I guess you can't go wrong with any of your picks.
 
The tires he listed in his first post are all average all-season tires. Stuff an old lady would put on her Corolla.

I should have said "what other people have mentioned" then?
 
I dont care about tread life but I do want to turn faster and generally have fun with handling and braking
Then you should care about tread-life, because "spirited" driving will wear out over-soft tires in 15,000 miles.
Duke
I'm not familiar with any of the particular tires you've got listed there, but I'm partial to Bridgestones, Michelins, and Dunlops. I'm not a big fan of Goodyears and Firestones.
I'll second that opinion. I've had good experiences with Bridgestone, Michelin, and Pirelli (never driven on Dunlops). The Goodyear Eagles that came on my Mazda were subpar at best. Hell, my Blizzaks handle better, and are quieter than those Goodyears were.
 
they will be driven up until we get at least 2 inches of snow and thats when I'll switch to my other set. But at the same time, I will also be driving my other car on the highway more often and this wont be my primary car anymore.

Yeah Like I said, they will be on my car up until snow, and even then only about half the summer, So although they are all Mild A/S tires what ones do better on dry pavement.

You can get toyo t1-r's and gsd3's in your size, and since when do you get a warranty with a tyre? Buy them off the internet and save $$$.

Well, with many places im finding out, If you have them mount and put the tire on for you there is a warranty. Say as soon as I get out on the highway, not more then say 2 minutes after I get the tires, I run over a nail and theres a hole in them. Well I can bring it back in and get another tire for free.

I have G009's on my Prelude and they arent as bad as you say, and like I said in my first post, I was under the impression that they were no longer being made but that could be wrong.

Well If they arnt being made anymore, then Tires Plus needs to change their site and their store. lol
 
How good a shape is the car in?

I'm not familiar with any of the tires you chose. But If you don't give a hang about tread llife, and want only a decent handling tire, hit up the local Wal-Mart for a set of Kelly's in the size that you list (though I've never actually seen 55 Series tires) but, in a 50 series tire.
I doubt they'll run you $300 for a set, with road hazard, and disposal of old tires.
And for an old Talon, the Kelly's are less lilkely to outlive the car.
 
Well, as far as I see it the actual car isnt in too horrible of shape and if the engine goes I already have a spared lined up for it. Not to mention it will be driven less after I have a secondary car. So the only ways Id probly get rid of it is if someone totals it or my tranny goes, but that only has about 160 thous on it.

And the Goodyear H2s are the ones Wal-Mart did suggest. But ive never heard of Kellys...
 
It looks like a lot of the mentioned tires are mostly sport-related, and aren't snow ready.

T1-Rs + Snow = Win.
 
Well, with many places im finding out, If you have them mount and put the tire on for you there is a warranty. Say as soon as I get out on the highway, not more then say 2 minutes after I get the tires, I run over a nail and theres a hole in them. Well I can bring it back in and get another tire for free.

With the money I save buying off the internet over the local shops I could buy a extra 2 spare tyres and it would still be cheaper than the local shops.
 
Well, as far as I see it the actual car isnt in too horrible of shape and if the engine goes I already have a spared lined up for it. Not to mention it will be driven less after I have a secondary car. So the only ways Id probly get rid of it is if someone totals it or my tranny goes, but that only has about 160 thous on it.

And the Goodyear H2s are the ones Wal-Mart did suggest. But ive never heard of Kellys...
Kelly tires were what stayed on my Escort. They had a 20,000 mile warranty. I usually got more than that. They also come in those "oddball" sizes that sport compacts of the 90's had OEM.
A full set of four for the 'Scort ran right at $250. That's for 205/60R15's, new valvestems, mount, balance, and disposal of the old tires.
 
BFG KDW's are soem good tires I've heard.

I'm going with some Goodyear F1 all seasons when I buy tires. Unless I can afford to put some winter tires on my stock wheels, then I'll get some nice sicky tires for my 18's for summer use.


tirerack.com has a good amount of tires on there, with some decent prices.
 
Well Ive got a pretty good Idea im going with the BFGs or the Bridgstones, so thanks guys for all the imput it did help me out a lot. It helps if I only have 2 choices lol.
 
Personally, I've used the OEM Bridgestone Duellers on the CR-V, and two sets later, they've been good H-rated tires. No feathering, no chunking, and no uneven wear. I had near-new OEM-recommended Potenza ER30's on the GS 300, and just replaced them with Uniroyal Tiger Paws (saving about $400); they're surprisingly "sporty" tires, though...I actually expected them to have duller turn-in and more cornering squeak, but I get less road noise and slightly crisper handling, and the car's more controlled in nearly-full-throttle semi-wet conditions.

The ER30's had 5k of wear when I bought the car, I personally put 15,000 miles out of them = 20,000 miles on a 3600-pound car. Most GS customers got more life out of them, but I drive a bit more aggressively compared to most drivers (considering I got 14,000 out of new Goodyear tires on the old Corolla, I don't think that was too bad).

The tires he listed in his first post are all average all-season tires. Stuff an old lady would put on her Corolla.
Which means you might as well go with the cheapest one: H-rated/4-season tires aren't known for racing-inspired cornering performance, so as long as you don't expect improved handling prowess and superb dry grip, then you'll get good life and wear out of any of those tires. If it does actually handle better and you don't feather the tread in 10,000 miles, then you've made the right choice; tires are funny that way.

If you want more performance, you usually have to step up to a V-rated tire. Get an alignment (if over 2 years, or you frequently meet curbs for lunch) and check the pressures often, make sure they're balanced right the first time, blah blah blah.
 
The tires he listed in his first post are all average all-season tires. Stuff an old lady would put on her Corolla.

I don't think I'd go that far. They're better than old lady or rental car tires. Not by a whole lot, though.

OP: If those are the only tires that fit your wheels, you might want to consider getting a different set. Plus sizing will open up a whole new range of options for you. Think about a 17 inch wheel. 225/40-17 and 225/45-17 are very popular performance sizes and you'll have MUCH better options there. Even going to a 215/45 would be better. Check tirerack.com for fitment choices.

It sounds like you don't expect to drive the car in snow. If so, I definately recommend summer only tires. All-seasons, even the 'ultra-high performance' ones are seriously compromised tires. The biggest performance jump is by moving from A/S to Summer Only.


M
 
I don't think I'd go that far. They're better than old lady or rental car tires. Not by a whole lot, though.
It sounds like you don't expect to drive the car in snow. If so, I definately recommend summer only tires. All-seasons, even the 'ultra-high performance' ones are seriously compromised tires. The biggest performance jump is by moving from A/S to Summer Only.


M
Yeah, but then again, I think the reason the people at all those places heard I have a DL and know I cant get it past 120 if I try, but didnt really understand how fast I want to take a corner. But it is funny that you mention that they are slightly better, I did see some G009s on a toyota matrix :dopey:
But alas I dont have any more money to jump up a rim size and only enough to get a set of tires. And the fact I dont wanna dump another $400(or so) for rims too Thanks for the insight though.
 
Back