Tire recommendations

• Thread starter Omnis
  • 69 comments
I haven't heard a single customer at the shop I work at complain about their Cooper tires. They are always decently priced, and the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires on my dad's truck have never let him down, even through snow several feet deep. If you want a more aggressive tire, then the Discoverer A/T3s are also very popular tires that I've heard are great all-round.

Apparently Pirelli's P Zero All Season Plus tires have a revised compound that TireRack says is the new benchmark for all season tires. After checking their objective testing results, these new Pirellis have better measurables than even the Pilot Super Sports. How can this be?

I'm going to Sam's Club soon to see if they have any of the revised tires in stock. Here's a nifty chart with all of the production dates (week/year notation ex 0116 through 5216) noted for every tire size for when Pirelli switched to the new compound.

Wyua12j.jpg

Remember to always check the date on your tires no matter what they are. Never buy old rubber!

So I ended up with Kuhmo tires on both the GTO, and the Silverado due to getting a great price on both sets.

The GTO has ECSTA 4X II, factory 245/45/17 size.

The Silverado has CRUGEN HT51 in P265/70/17

So far I have no complaints about either set.

If you want above average grip but are on a tight budget, I recommend Maxxis' Victra MZ1s. Each tyre costs half what a Pilot Super Sport 3 costs and less than a half what a Neova AD08R costs. Sure, there's a clear performance difference but the Victra isn't half the tyre for half the price, it's more than half a tyre! So far, it has been more than adequate for my application so I'd say they're just about fine for anything you throw at it unless we're talking about 300WHP+. @niky did warn me that they aren't THE best tyres for hard cornering on trackday duty but they handle twisty roads just fine.

If you want above average grip but are on a tight budget, I recommend Maxxis' Victra MZ1s. Each tyre costs half what a Pilot Super Sport 3 costs and less than a half what a Neova AD08R costs. Sure, there's a clear performance difference but the Victra isn't half the tyre for half the price, it's more than half a tyre! So far, it has been more than adequate for my application so I'd say they're just about fine for anything you throw at it unless we're talking about 300WHP+. @niky did warn me that they aren't THE best tyres for hard cornering on trackday duty but they handle twisty roads just fine.

Mind you, my point of comparison at the time was the AD07, and compared to that, EVERYTHING on the market has tread squirm.

@niky do you guys have Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003s over there? We have them stateside now re-badged as Firestone Indy 500s.

I'd consider them, but I run 215/55R17s. They come in 235/50R17 though. Anyone know about putting 235 width tires on a 17x7 wheel?

My factory GTO wheels are 17x8, the 245 fits perfect, a 235 would probably fit on a 7" but the tire shop may not be happy about it on a cold day. Supposedly 275s will fit my wheels...

Edit: My Silverado has a 265 width on a 17x7.5" wheel, but it also has a 70 aspect ratio, which makes the rim contact area more narrow.

Last edited:
@niky do you guys have Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003s over there? We have them stateside now re-badged as Firestone Indy 500s.

I'd consider them, but I run 215/55R17s. They come in 235/50R17 though. Anyone know about putting 235 width tires on a 17x7 wheel?

Should fit. Won't be quite as good a fit as with a 7.5 or 8 inch wide wheel. If I recall right, Adrenalines have squared-off shoulders, so it won't be such a big deal.

I have a question.

My coworker has a 2009 Nissan Sentra that he bought new. He says it has approximately 21,000 miles on it and still on the original tires.

Is it possible for tires to degrade in 8 years?

I only ask because he said his car struggled with the snow yesterday, which (supposedly) was unusual for it.

Absolutely, tires get dry-rotted over time and should be visually inspected every so often. The tread might still be deep enough, but it could be time for replacement.

Though I'm not sure if that would affect performance noticeably (Year 7 vs Year 8) on such low mileage. The conditions might have been a bit worse for the tires than usual.

Absolutely, tires get dry-rotted over time and should be visually inspected every so often. The tread might still be deep enough, but it could be time for replacement.

Though I'm not sure if that would affect performance noticeably (Year 7 vs Year 8) on such low mileage. The conditions might have been a bit worse for the tires than usual.
I've got his permission to take pictures of the tires so I can recommend new ones. What would dry rotting look like?

Immediate signs would be discoloration (charcoal gray instead of black or near-black) and cracks in the sidewall (small ones you normally might not think anything about), at least those were the visible signs when I got mine replaced.

You can google it for examples. It looks like cracks in the tires from drying out. Usually it's most noticeable on the sidewall, but it can also be on the tread or in between tread blocks.

IMG_20170108_200340.jpg

The sidewall around the rim looks kinda bad.

IMG_20170108_200445.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means his tread is dangerously low, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means his tread is dangerously low, right?

Dangerously low? Probably not, but since it's clearly snowy where you're at I'd say you should consider new tires in the near future. If it was dry you'd be fine but with snow and wet roads your traction isn't nearly as good as it would be with newer tires. Just pay attention to your stopping distances.

Dangerously low? Probably not, but since it's clearly snowy where you're at I'd say you should consider new tires in the near future. If it was dry you'd be fine but with snow and wet roads your traction isn't nearly as good as it would be with newer tires. Just pay attention to your stopping distances.
Not my car, coworker's car. He's a sweet old man who hasn't got any clue on how cars work - but he is very, very good about his maintenance appointments. As far as I know, that car is up to date on everything.

Edit: Also, thanks for the correction on the tread depth thing.

Yeah, the tread depth looks like it's getting down there. Nothing scary yet, but not optimal for winter driving. Also another thing to keep in mind is the rubber on eight year old tires won't be nearly as pliable as new rubber, and that can affect winter performance a lot. There's a reason winter tires are made of very soft rubber compounds.

So General Tire just released their new GMAX AS-05s, replacing the popular AS-03s.

Bt3FzV7.jpg

They're under 80 bucks per tire, and with the current rebate I think I'm going to have a pick up a set as the rainy season is now beginning. What a steal.

OT1uky2.jpg

Should have my first impressions of the Generals by early next week. 👍 (I know, I made a decision! Shocking!)

I'm doing some research on tyres at the moment as I've just bought a 2011 Mazda 6 (Atenza) Luxury Sport that comes with 18" x 7.5" alloys wrapped in 225/45R18 91W rubber.

The car currently has Michelin ContiMaxContact on the rear & had the same rubber on the front when I test drove it.
However, in order to obtain a Roadworthy Certificate, the dealer had to replace the fronts & has gone with some Chinese cheapies.

Call me anal or OCD if you like but, I'm a huge fan of having identical rubber on all four corners.

What I'm looking for is, the best rubber (in my size) for wet conditions available in Australia.
I figure the wet is the first place any sensible, law-abiding driver will involuntarily lose grip so, that's the safest avenue to pursue.

We have two Australian magazines, 'MOTOR' & 'Wheels', that conduct annual tyre tests. Unfortunately, they only test tyres willingly submitted by the tyre manufacturer, which leaves potentially better rubber absent from the field of candidates.

In 2015, Wheels mag named the Continental ContiPremiumContact 5 as the best overall in the wet (including wet braking) and, second overall across wet & dry testing.
The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT won the wet slalom.
The overall winner of the test was the Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105.

MOTOR mag for 2015, used a Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG running 19" rims fitted with 235/35 tyres.
Their Wet Motorkhana found after 5 runs over the course, the Continental ContiSportContact 5P to be a winner
In the Wet Braking test, the Continental won again.
Unsurprisingly, the Continental was declared overall winner.

In 2016, MOTOR used an Audi RS3, again fitted with 235/35 rubber.
Winner of the Wet Braking was the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT with the Continental ContiSportContact 5P placing 2nd.
I haven't been able to find any results for a Wet Motorkhana, if indeed that test took place
The overall winner for 2016 was the Dunlop.

I have just found the results for 2017 name the Continental as overall winner again but, the individual test results are proving elusive.

Thoughts, opinions? Discuss.

General tires are excellent for their price point. A set of General Altimax RT43s is $80 apiece for a set of 205 60R16s.

For your tire dimensions:
Screenshot_20170610-083929.png

That's USD, though. The equivalent in AUD is $174 per tire ($131 US).

I'd check other tyres, since I can't seem to find any info on the RT43s in Australia.

General tires are excellent for their price point. A set of General Altimax RT43s is $80 apiece for a set of 205 60R16s.

For your tire dimensions:
View attachment 652878

That's USD, though. The equivalent in AUD is $174 per tire ($131 US).

I'd check other tyres, since I can't seem to find any info on the RT43s in Australia.
Thanks @Obelisk

Just did some checking & although Generals are sold here, they don't sell the Altimax line.

It seems as though they're only targeting the SUV demographic.

Thanks @Obelisk

Just did some checking & although Generals are sold here, they don't sell the Altimax line.

It seems as though they're only targeting the SUV demographic.
I can't help you with much else. Perhaps Bridgestone sells the Ecopia line over there? While I don't quite like them, they work well on my Mazda3.

I'm doing some research on tyres at the moment as I've just bought a 2011 Mazda 6 (Atenza) Luxury Sport that comes with 18" x 7.5" alloys wrapped in 225/45R18 91W rubber.

The car currently has Michelin ContiMaxContact on the rear & had the same rubber on the front when I test drove it.
However, in order to obtain a Roadworthy Certificate, the dealer had to replace the fronts & has gone with some Chinese cheapies.

Call me anal or OCD if you like but, I'm a huge fan of having identical rubber on all four corners.

What I'm looking for is, the best rubber (in my size) for wet conditions available in Australia.
I figure the wet is the first place any sensible, law-abiding driver will involuntarily lose grip so, that's the safest avenue to pursue.

We have two Australian magazines, 'MOTOR' & 'Wheels', that conduct annual tyre tests. Unfortunately, they only test tyres willingly submitted by the tyre manufacturer, which leaves potentially better rubber absent from the field of candidates.

In 2015, Wheels mag named the Continental ContiPremiumContact 5 as the best overall in the wet (including wet braking) and, second overall across wet & dry testing.
The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT won the wet slalom.
The overall winner of the test was the Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105.

MOTOR mag for 2015, used a Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG running 19" rims fitted with 235/35 tyres.
Their Wet Motorkhana found after 5 runs over the course, the Continental ContiSportContact 5P to be a winner
In the Wet Braking test, the Continental won again.
Unsurprisingly, the Continental was declared overall winner.

In 2016, MOTOR used an Audi RS3, again fitted with 235/35 rubber.
Winner of the Wet Braking was the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT with the Continental ContiSportContact 5P placing 2nd.
I haven't been able to find any results for a Wet Motorkhana, if indeed that test took place
The overall winner for 2016 was the Dunlop.

I have just found the results for 2017 name the Continental as overall winner again but, the individual test results are proving elusive.

Thoughts, opinions? Discuss.

Same size oem tire review, it's 2016, but the thorough test is a good read :

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres-20162017

Click on the left list for tires detailed review/test, there's breakdown for wet handling,braking, aquaplaning, and cornering as well as comfort/noise, economy and feedback on the wheel ( important IMO )

And this simple list with stats on important aspect of tires ( 225/45/18 )

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/18-Inch-Tyres/225-45-18-Tyres.htm

Some of these should be available in Oz :D

@Pete05 you aren't being anal, you should have the same tire on all four corners for safety, especially in poor road conditions like rain or snow.

I suggest taking a look at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Both are an ultra-high performance all-season tire meaning they provide lots of highway stability, excellent dry grip, and great wet grip...also if by some off chance it snows they can manage.

I can't help you with much else. Perhaps Bridgestone sells the Ecopia line over there? While I don't quite like them, they work well on my Mazda3.
Thank you for your help.
The Ecopia line is available here.

Same size oem tire review, it's 2016, but the thorough test is a good read :

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres-20162017

Click on the left list for tires detailed review/test, there's breakdown for wet handling,braking, aquaplaning, and cornering as well as comfort/noise, economy and feedback on the wheel ( important IMO )

And this simple list with stats on important aspect of tires ( 225/45/18 )

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/18-Inch-Tyres/225-45-18-Tyres.htm

Some of these should be available in Oz :D
Thanks for the links. Very useful reading.

@Pete05 you aren't being anal, you should have the same tire on all four corners for safety, especially in poor road conditions like rain or snow.

I suggest taking a look at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Both are an ultra-high performance all-season tire meaning they provide lots of highway stability, excellent dry grip, and great wet grip...also if by some off chance it snows they can manage.
Thanks for the suggestions @Joey D
I've just looked at the Continental & Michelin Australian websites.
Unfortunately, they don't sell those lines here.

@Pete05 the main darling of the tyre industry here is the RE003 because they are relatively cheap but have a lot of performance value.

Bridgestone also regularly have 4 for 3 deals on those which makes the outlay even less. With regular rotation I managed to get 45,000km out of their RE002s which is surprisingly good for a max performance tyre.

Continentals and Pirellis tend to not have as much life as other premium competitors such as Michelin, and the latter of those two can also be dicey in wet conditions in their higher-performance tyres which is a little bit frightening to say the least.

@Pete05 the main darling of the tyre industry here is the RE003 because they are relatively cheap but have a lot of performance value.

Bridgestone also regularly have 4 for 3 deals on those which makes the outlay even less. With regular rotation I managed to get 45,000km out of their RE002s which is surprisingly good for a max performance tyre.

Continentals and Pirellis tend to not have as much life as other premium competitors such as Michelin, and the latter of those two can also be dicey in wet conditions in their higher-performance tyres which is a little bit frightening to say the least.
Cheers mate :cheers:

They're probably the leading Bridgestone contender.

I should probably add, work is a 44km round trip, mostly Freeways at 100km/h, 5 days a week so if I clock up 15k a year, it's a miracle.

Back