Tire Testing - Strange, but interesting results...

• Thread starter calan_svc
  • 261 comments
In simulation games the available grip is also a factor of the ingame track you are using.

Track authors can tag various levels of grip to the "track" surface.

This can lead to false values being shown by the car being used, all the cars being tested on one track might be collectively over or under performing.

Has this 'test' been run across multiple tracks to see if the same tyre/car combo returns the same G values for the same test?

Has this 'test' been run across multiple tracks to see if the same tyre/car combo returns the same G values for the same test?

No. For now, I'm just using the largest flat area of track I could find (TGTT) in order to get consistent results for each tire on various cars.

The goal at this point is to find out how each specific tire type relates to the others, and how they change from car to car. Once I do some more with this, I may test to see how a certain tire reacts on different tracks, although that would be very difficult and even more subjective than this test. :).

First post updated with latest results.

BTW - I'd be more than happy to see some independent results from someone else that is anal and meticulous enough to test this crap. :lol:

Last edited:
I had a chance to try a lambo gallardo on a private track and the car is really grippy !

When I try the same car in GT5 with S.H the car seems like some slippery machine, the only tyre that give the same feeling than real life are the sport soft, even if they are the less realistic for the times results.

I had a chance to try a lambo gallardo on a private track and the car is really grippy !

When I try the same car in GT5 with S.H the car seems like some slippery machine, the only tyre that give the same feeling than real life are the sport soft, even if they are the less realistic for the times results.

But were the speeds identical? Without any real sensory feedback in the game, it's impossible to "feel" grip similarities unless you are driving the exact same speed as you were in real life. My guess is that you were driving much faster in the game when you came to this conclusion. And then there is the track surface, weather conditions, specific tire on the car, etc etc etc.

I'm basically just trying to normalize the grip for each car; once that's done we could always take everything up or down a tire grade or two across the board if desired.

I just put racing softs on everything and call it good.

Which is fine, but has nothing to do with this thread which is about trying to equip the cars with realistic grip levels.

Last edited:
maybe, but the feeling with confort or sports hards fells wrong even with low speeds, the braking power fell wrong with cheap tyres.

If someone have aldrealdy test a sport car on a track he may comfirm my feeling.

No offense to anybody, just my short experience, but great testing !

No offense to anybody, just my short experience

None taken. I appreciate constructive input from as many people as possible! ;)

EDIT:

@RC45

You have me curious now as to whether or not PD actually modeled different grip levels for each track. My hunch is that they are all very close to being the same, based on the fact that I've never really noticed a car handling any differently in flat corners from track-to-track.

I think I'll run a few laps with these cars on Tsukuba and see how well the numbers match. That would be a good track for it due to the constant-radius flat corners. I'll run a solid lap as close to the slip angle as I can, and then have a look at the datalog.

Last edited:
In online mode tire grip is normal but the tire wear system is completely wrong, in long races you can't do tire strategy because there is no differences with sports-soft and race-soft, PD should fix it asap

Try race-soft on the front for 20 min race and then try sport-soft on the front for 20 min, OMG the tire wear is exactly same, this is unacceptable

Interesting experiments and analysis! It addressed a lot of what I was wondering about tire modeling in GT5.

Did you take tire size into account? take a look:

2010 Camaro SS:
245/45R20 up front and 275/40R20 in back

2010 Corvette ZR1:
RPO XFG Tires, front P285/30ZR19 Michelin PS2
RPO YPS Tires, rear P335/25ZR20 Michelin PS2

...about 60mm bigger tires on the Corvette. I'd say that's the difference between comfort and sports tires. And since neither is a slick, they are not going to have a chance to put up racing numbers.

yes, otherwise the majority would never play GT5 ;)

it's just that they had to make sacrifices to make the game appeal to a large crowd; they could have gone all-sim, but that would've cause significant less sales

There's already plenty of aids and Skid Recovery force which makes your car faster and not oversteer already....aka Arcade mode

Which is fine, but has nothing to do with this thread which is about trying to equip the cars with realistic grip levels.

I should have explained myself better. Every car I have ever owned in real life I have modified to perform better. In the late 60's I was running Indy tires on one of my street cars. My dad was one of the original hot rodders from the streets of Los Angeles and that's how he met my mom.

So I guess my comment was my thought on keeping cars stock.

None taken. I appreciate constructive input from as many people as possible! ;)

EDIT:

@RC45

You have me curious now as to whether or not PD actually modeled different grip levels for each track. My hunch is that they are all very close to being the same, based on the fact that I've never really noticed a car handling any differently in flat corners from track-to-track.

I think I'll run a few laps with these cars on Tsukuba and see how well the numbers match. That would be a good track for it due to the constant-radius flat corners. I'll run a solid lap as close to the slip angle as I can, and then have a look at the datalog.

In the AMG Sepcial Events, it's always warning of the slippery section before and after "Brünnchen." How much of that is due to camber and elevation changes alone I don't know, but it does feel slippier there than elsewhere. I don't suppose "Eiskurve" got its name for having ice-cream stalls :P Similarly, there is a definite change in grip on and off line in the rain, so who knows.

The problem with Tsukuba is that most corners have a bank angle of some sort, but it might be possible just to get a feel.

In the AMG Sepcial Events, it's always warning of the slippery section before and after "Brünnchen." How much of that is due to camber and elevation changes alone I don't know, but it does feel slippier there than elsewhere. I don't suppose "Eiskurve" got its name for having ice-cream stalls :P Similarly, there is a definite change in grip on and off line in the rain, so who knows.

The problem with Tsukuba is that most corners have a bank angle of some sort, but it might be possible just to get a feel.

I've always felt that the changes in grip on the 'ring were due to the weird camber on the back sections, and because you are usually going up or down hill on corner entry/exit. I just don't see PD taking the development time or using CPU cycles to make minor surface grip changes at various parts of a track. That would be considerably more involved than using a single variable for the entire track like a lot of games do....but who knows.

I think the long sweeping last corner at Tsukuba is pretty flat IIRC, but I'll have a closer look at it later tonight.

I've always felt that the changes in grip on the 'ring were due to the weird camber on the back sections, and because you are usually going up or down hill on corner entry/exit. I just don't see PD taking the development time or using CPU cycles to make minor surface grip changes at various parts of a track. That would be considerably more involved than using a single variable for the entire track like a lot of games do....but who knows.

I think the long sweeping last corner at Tsukuba is pretty flat, but I'll have a closer look at it later tonight.

It is not that much more cpu intensive to have custom track grip levels that have them all the same. The entire track is a 3D mesh and each surface element already has various required data attributes assigned. This is how the car "drives" over the surface as it is. The friction of the surface element needs to be known in order to compute the cars behaviour.

This is the same method used to assign FFB behaviour.

Did you take tire size into account?

You didn't read the whole thread did you? :)

Check out post #48, or the bottom of the first post. ;)

...It also appears that the width of the tire is not being considered in the grip equations; for any specific tire type, the '02 Mini Cooper has the same amount of lateral grip as the '09 Corvette ZR1! And as softer tires are equipped, the amount of grip increases equally for both cars....

It is not that much more cpu intensive to have custom track grip levels that have them all the same. The entire track is a 3D mesh and each surface element already has various required data attributes assigned. This is how the car "drives" over the surface as it is. The friction of the surface element needs to be known in order to compute the cars behaviour.

Maybe.

Without having access to the data files or code (and not having a clue as to how the PS3 architecture works), I couldn't begin to explain how the GT5 tracks are modeled or how they interact with the cars. For all we know, Kaz's team may be using some totally unfamiliar Roswell alien-inspired physics. :)

But given that resources are taxed to the max and they didn't have time to even finish the obvious stuff, I'll stick with my original opinion: I just don't see PD taking the development time or any extra CPU cycles for this level of detail, when they apparently don't even consider tire width in the grip calculations.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if you did this test for the Lotus Elise 111R '04, I wonder what tyres would be closest to stock on the real car? Judging by the Top Gear Intermediate Special Event, I'm guessing it'll be Sports Medium maybe.

:)

I'll say it again so everyone is clear, tire companies spend millions upon millions of dollars in technology to try and accurately perform traction modelling on computers. At the end of the day, they still have to take real rubber to the track and run it to evaluate a tires performance.

Traction modelling involves literally hundreds of variables. Based on the testing done by the OP, it is apparant PD had to simplify the model. Based on his results, I'd say the model was oversimplified a bit too much.

After more testing, it does in fact appear that grip levels in GT5 are based almost exclusively on the tire type when using the stock suspensions, and it's a linear increase in grip across the range of tires. Tire width and the car's geometry seem to have very little to do with anything; throw a set of SH on a Mini and it will corner almost the same as a 'vette (or even a race car) wearing the same tires... as strange as that sounds. :)

If I can collect enough data and the testing holds up, I'll add a lateral grip column to my Matchmaker spreadsheet, which will automatically recommend the "correct" tire choice for each car. It isn't perfect, but it's a good start toward equalizing the grip across the field of cars.

If anyone would like to contribute some published lateral grip numbers for this little experiment, it would be greatly appreciated. There are several on the Road & Track page, but I can't seem to find any other good sources.

Last edited:
After 3 more nights of testing and mumbling under my breath about PD's incredibly simplistic (so it seems) tire model, it finally dawned on me how effective it actually is, once you understand it and select the correct tires for each car. The problem isn't with the approach they took, but rather the implementation of it. Sound familiar? :D

The problem is due to the way GT5 randomly assigns tires to cars. My first guess was that PD just used SM for sports cars, CH on economy cars, etc. But even this isn't really accurate; there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to how they assigned default tires. And to take it a step further, every AI car in any given A-spec event is assigned the same tire type, whether it makes sense for each car or not. (This may be due to the AI using a completely different physics engine than the player cars, but who knows).

Using nothing but reported IRL skidpad numbers... if you fit the car with the recommended tire based on the chart I developed, it starts acting like an actual car. So far I've tested this approach on approximately 30 different cars, and in every case the car "drove" EXACTLY as I expected it to. Cars that shouldn't handle well don't; but not in a "oh crap I need racing softs" way. Rather, you can usually feel it when you are on the edge and it's pretty easy to learn where that point is. Going with the wrong tire in either direction makes a huge difference in how realistic the car feels, so it's pretty critical to match the tire to the car's real-life grip level as closely as possible.

I found myself on more than one occasion dialing in some traction control on a powerful car like I would IRL, rather than just running to the tune shop for a new suspension or softer tires. It also breathes new life into the braking model (although I'm still disappointed with it), and makes the cars' weight much more obvious. It has definitely taken the GT5 driving experience to a whole new level for me. I was literally laughing out loud last night while running laps in various cars fitted with their "real-life" tires; it was a blast! ;)

So anyway, I created a spreadsheet that will do the dirty work for you as long as you have a real-life skidpad number, but if you want to look up the tire yourself, here is a screenshot:

GT5_Tire_Calc.jpg

Just find where the car's IRL skidpad number falls between the last two columns, and use the tire type for that row. Anything between .8 and 1.15 will equate to one of the 6 non-race grip levels. Grip numbers above 1.15 equate to racing tires (usually selected based on wear IRL), and anything below .5 is non-realistic and is just used as a placeholder.

DISCLAIMER:

Before anyone starts... I know all about inconsistency in skidpad testing, the fact that we don't even have a skidpad in GT5, the fact that this doesn't account for acceleration/braking, game physics vs. real life, etc. etc. BUT... it just seems to work; I don't know exactly why, but it does.

My results are all based on "factory" cars with stock suspensions and settings. Modified suspensions and race cars will skew the results (but probably not as much as you would expect).

There are obviously going to be exceptions to the rule, but in most cases this would be a car whose skidpad number is on the border between two different tires, or one that has some weird type of suspension or something. I honestly can't think of one car that I've tested so far that was really out in left field, but I'm sure they exist.

The second sheet in the spreadsheet contains the list of cars that I have numbers for, along with their skidpad number and recommended tire (60 cars in all). You can add a car to the list and put in the g number, and it will automatically fill in the tire column. Skidpad numbers shown in yellow were taken from the same car but a different year or from a car with a different trim level, but they should be close. Also note that I didn't include the duplicated cars like all the Miata's and Skylines; that would easily double the car count.

For those of you using my Matchmaker spreadsheet, tire data for each car will be incorporated within the next couple of releases.

As I mentioned in my last post, please feel free to pass along any skidpad numbers or sources for that information. ;)

Last edited:
This could become quite the resource. Thanks for all the effort! :)

Going to go and test a few out, and may well search for skid pad data for some of my obscure Standards... I'll post anything interesting here, assuming I succeed. :dunce:

Cool deal... please update the thread with your results and opinions on it.

I'm an old(er) fart, so it's possible that I'm completely delusional. :lol:

That's some impressive work.

It would be interesting to see what sort of results you get for the GT-R. If PD's physics model is as accurate as they claim, it could shed some light on the whole Nissan/Porsche debate regarding which tyres were used to set the official 7:29.03 Nordschleife lap time.

Well, I only tested two cars: the E90 330i and the E92 M3. The 330i comes with Comfort Softs, and is well balanced, but with a slightly surprising snap oversteer. On the recommended Comfort Mediums, the balance is even more neutral and you can enjoy plenty of "wheel in the middle" cornering, both entering and exiting. Very playful and progressive! :)

The E92 M3 and I don't get on. The standard Sport Hards are very grippy, but the car defaults to mild understeer and snap oversteer when pushed too hard. Holding it sideways under power is easy, though. Slap the recommended Comfort Softs on and the understeer gets worse (can be compensated for on the brakes, with 5/3 bias and no ABS) but sliding the rear is more progressive, yet harder to maintain - it tends to snap back into line. This car feels heavy and dull compared to the 330i!

So, mixed results on two similar-ish cars. I have no idea how either car behaves in real life, but the 330i is now one of my favourites in GT5. :D
I'll test more next time.

Slap the recommended Comfort Softs on and the understeer gets worse (can be compensated for on the brakes, with 5/3 bias and no ABS) but sliding the rear is more progressive, yet harder to maintain - it tends to snap back into line. This car feels heavy and dull compared to the 330i!

So, mixed results on two similar-ish cars.

I never said the cars would get easier to drive... just more realistic or interesting. :P

The M3 number may be wrong. I think .89 seems a little low for the M3's reputation; I'll try to verify that SP number against other sources.

EDIT:

The 2001 BMW M3 Sedan rates a .89g, the 2008 BMW M3 Coupe is .98g. I'm not in front of the PS3 at the moment, so I'm not sure where I got the '04 M3 number from. Is the "BMW M3 '04" listed in the game a coupe or sedan?

If the '08 and '07 M3 Coupe are pretty much the same car, the SP number should be .98g (although I think GT5's weight estimate is about 600 lbs lighter than the actual car...if they didn't change drastically in 2008). I'll be the first to admit I'm not a BMW expert. :)

Last edited:
I never said the cars would get easier to drive... just more realistic or interesting. :P

The M3 number may be wrong. I think .89 seems a little low for the M3's reputation; I'll try to verify that SP number against other sources.

EDIT:

The 2001 BMW M3 Sedan rates a .89g, the 2008 BMW M3 Coupe is .98g. I'm not in front of the PS3 at the moment, so I'm not sure where I got the '04 M3 number from.

I'm an idiot! I used the recommended tyres for the '04 M3 (E46) on the '08 E92... The E92's 0.98 is spot on, then, for Sports Hards - which makes sense given my "review". Additionally, I happen to know the '04 M3 is fantastic on Comfort Softs. :D

The 330i is also slightly "harder" to drive on the Comfort Mediums given the lower grip, but I love it too much to care. :)

Really great job with this work. I havn't been playing GT5 at all recently but with your research I am keen on driving with the real tyres for my car instead of some random number.

One thing...

Could you post the information on the cars you already have the correct tyre for in a PDF on just in the first post of this thread or your other one please. I don't have excel and cannot view your findings.

If not maybe I can liberate a copy from somewhere.......

Really great job with this work. I havn't been playing GT5 at all recently but with your research I am keen on driving with the real tyres for my car instead of some random number.

One thing...

Could you post the information on the cars you already have the correct tyre for in a PDF on just in the first post of this thread or your other one please. I don't have excel and cannot view your findings.

If not maybe I can liberate a copy from somewhere.......

I don't have excel, either, but I do have a google account, so I uploaded the spreadsheet to google docs. I'm sure there are other ways to do the same thing (open office is one) but I'll leave that for you to decide. There are a wealth of GT-related spreadsheets floating around that you might be missing out on. :P

Anyway, to satisfy your whims on this one occasion: :sly:
Code:
[font="Courier New"]
Make		Model						Tires	skidpad

Audi		R8 4.2 FSI R tronic ‘07				SH	0.97
Audi		R8 5.2 FSI quattro ‘09				SH	0.97
Audi		RS 4 ‘01					CS	0.94
Audi		RS 6 Avant ‘02					CS	0.88
Audi		S4 ‘03						CM	0.86
Audi		TT Coupe 3.2 quattro ‘03			CM	0.84
Audi		TTS Coupe ‘09					SH	0.98
BMW		135i Coupe ‘07					CS	0.92
BMW		330i ‘05					CM	0.83
BMW		M3 ‘04						CS	0.89
BMW		M5 ‘08						CM	0.87
BMW		Z4 M Coupe ‘08					CS	0.88
Bugatti		Veyron 16.4 ‘09					CS	0.94
Chevrolet	Camaro SS ‘10					CS	0.90
Chevrolet	Corvette Z06 (C5) ‘00				SH	1.00
Chevrolet	Corvette Z06 (C6) ‘06				SH	0.99
Chevrolet	Corvette ZR1 (C6) ‘09				SS	1.10
Chrysler	300C ‘05					CH	0.79
Chrysler	Crossfire ‘04					CS	0.89
Dodge		Challenger SRT8 ‘08				CM	0.85
Dodge		Viper SRT10 ‘03					SM	1.02
Ferrari		458 Italia ‘09					SH	1.00
Ferrari		599 ‘06						SH	0.97
Ferrari		California ‘08					SH	0.96
Ferrari		Enzo ‘02					SH	1.01
Ford		GT ‘05						SH	0.99
Ford		Mustang GT ‘05					CM	0.84
Ford		Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium ‘07			CM	0.85
Honda		S2000 ‘06					CS	0.91
Infiniti	G35 Coupe ‘03					CS	0.92
Jaguar		S-Type R ‘02					CM	0.85
Lamborghini	Gallardo LP560-4 ‘08				SH	1.00
Lamborghini	Murciélago LP670-4 SuperVeloce ‘09		SH	0.97
Lexus		IS 300 Sport Cross ‘01				CM	0.83
Lexus		IS F ‘07					CS	0.93
Lexus		LFA ‘10						SM	1.04
Maserati	GranTurismo S ‘08				SH	0.95
Mazda		MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (NB, J) ‘04		CM	0.86
Mazda		RX-8 ‘03					CS	0.88
Mercedes-Benz	C 63 AMG ‘08					CS	0.93
Mercedes-Benz	CL 600 ‘00					CM	0.86
Mercedes-Benz	E 55 AMG ‘02					CM	0.84
Mercedes-Benz	SL 500 (R230) ‘02				CS	0.90
Mercedes-Benz	SLR McLaren ‘03					SH	0.97
Mercedes-Benz	SLS AMG ‘10					SH	0.96
Mini		Cooper S ‘02					CH	0.79
Mitsubishi	Eclipse GT ‘06					CM	0.83
Mitsubishi	Lancer Evolution VIII RS ‘03			SH	0.97
Mitsubishi	Lancer Evolution X GSR Premium Package ‘07	SH	0.97
Nissan		350Z (Z33, US) ‘03				CS	0.89
Nissan		GT-R SpecV ‘09					SH	1.01
Pontiac		Solstice Coupe Concept ‘02			CS	0.88
Saleen		S7 ‘02						SH	0.99
Subaru		Impreza Sedan WRX STi (Type-II) ‘02		CM	0.84
Subaru		Impreza Sedan WRX STi spec C (Type-II) ‘04	CS	0.88
Subaru		Impreza WRX STI (18inch BBS Wheel Option) ‘07	CS	0.90
Subaru		Legacy B4 3.0R ‘03				CH	0.79
Volvo		C30 R-Design ‘09				CM	0.85
Volvo		S60 T-5 Sport ‘03				CM	0.82[/font]

In lieu of grid lines, I suggest a piece of paper, or similar, might come in handy. :)

Back