tires

• Thread starter ide511
  • 14 comments
United States
United States
not to sound like an idiot, but i started browsing the forum a couple minutes ago and found that people typically dont opt for slicks on a lot of lower to mid powered cars. of course it all depends on restrictions and it wouldnt make sense for a stock cappuccino to run big sticky race tires, but ive found that "better" tires are almost always the solution to major handling issues. honestly, most street cars (<400ish hp) turn into gokarts once you put slicks on. :D any particular reasons?

There's quite a few reasons not to run race tyres but most of it is down to PP limits or event restrictions, you can sometimes find a car will be quicker at the same PP value with Sport tyres versus Racing. The other main reason is someone's preference with the type of car, I only run race tyres on road cars that have been tuned as track/race cars, and even then I keep RM/RS for actual race cars like Gr.2 and above. Comfort and Sport do have different performance in very wet conditions too, sometimes you'll find CS is better than SH for example and they offer all weather performance over the race tyres. Tyre wear can also be another factor although I'm not too sure how much of an issue that is given the majority of tyre wear enabled races use RH or better anyway.

not to sound like an idiot, but i started browsing the forum a couple minutes ago and found that people typically dont opt for slicks on a lot of lower to mid powered cars. of course it all depends on restrictions and it wouldnt make sense for a stock cappuccino to run big sticky race tires, but ive found that "better" tires are almost always the solution to major handling issues. honestly, most street cars (<400ish hp) turn into gokarts once you put slicks on. :D any particular reasons?
Some cars flat out suck with racing tires. IMO one good way to strip all the character out of a cars handling is to slap racing soft tires on it. It’s like everybody is afraid of a car being a bit loose. I’m trying to tune a Camaro right now that’s got some good power, I can drive it around a track just fine on comfort softs. Although I’m wanting to get it to hookup a tiny bit better yet. Yes I could slap on racing soft but now it’s not going to four wheel drift corners and I will be able to just mash the throttle.

I’m trying to work the tune so it’s a bit more predictable. I am getting close. If I can’t get it, I’ll need to go to sports hard tires.

Last edited:
honestly, most street cars (<400ish hp) turn into gokarts once you put slicks on. :D any particular reasons?
There’s the reason ;)

Also, I find it more fun to drive a car at its limits. If you put too grippy tyres on a low power car you’ll never reach its limits.

Most handling issues can be dealt with by brake balance, LSD or suspension tuning.

Last edited:

That car is a good example of a car that works better, especially for the Tokyo 600 grind, when using sports soft compared to slicks.

IM and Wet tires burn up quickly on that track and you need some kind of tire that can deal with a wet track for the first 3 or so laps. Sports soft will last until at least the first pit for fuel, but the wet style slicks only last around 3 or so laps so you will need an extra pit to use those tires.

If it's a race car, I buy the other racing tire compounds, including intermediates and wets. If it's a rally car, I'll also get the dirt and snow tires. If it's a road car, then the compounds I buy for it depend on which ones come with it, though even if it comes on Comfort Mediums or something, I may buy the Sports set if I end up notably increasing its power, especially if I can swap the engine. Similarly, if it's a high-powered track-only toy like the Ferrari FXX K or Pagani Zonda R, then I might buy the racing compounds.

So lemme give a good example. If I have a kei car like the Honda Beat, then even if I fully upgrade the base engine, I'll still leave it on Comforts. But if I swap it to a K20, then I'll buy the Sports tires. Honestly, I'd say it greatly depends on the regulations. Like in the Lightweight K Cup, I think you're limited to Comfort Softs.

Last edited:
Putting too much tire on a stock car makes the suspension go all soft and wonky, and doesn’t act the way it should under load. You end up having to add suspension mods and tweak a bunch of stuff to make it “feel” normal. I usually only go up one tire from stock, after that things start to feel weird on stock cars.

Last edited:
As PlanetJanet said, the main problem with using racing tyres on low power cars is that you are taking a massive PP increase for diminishing returns in lap times.

Sure, your car can carry more speed through corners, but no amount of grip will save you from bleeding time on straights longer than Tsukuba’s home straight. And taking racing tyres limit the improvements in engine power you can make when building to a PP limit of 600 or lower.
A more balanced approach by upgrading both power, transmission and handling evenly will gain greater dividends. And more power makes overtaking on the straights much easier.

But if you still think sheer grip can trump power, try winning any of the WTC600 tarmac races on Hard with the Copen RJ VGT and the stickiest Racing tyres you can fit on it (which is limited to 146 hp max and the tuning shop only offers tyres, power restrictor, ballast and the hydraulic handbrake). No power upgrades available, nor transmission upgrades or tuning, but you are free to tune the rest of the car for maximum grip.

But if you still think sheer grip can trump power, try winning any of the WTC600 tarmac races on Hard with
your "with" and the choice of track is quite conditional.
Of course if traction and power need to be balanced because of rules, there is an optimal point (limit PP) but also of course, if there is no PP limit and the only decision is tyrelife vs traction, then it becomes a whole different story.

Anyway, if at then end of 12 laps of Tokyo WTC 600 your sport softs look like this (without pitting), you definitly dont have enough power ...
1709633939418.png

But ... (sorry, I couldnt go faster on Remote connection, there would be an easy -10 seconds to find without internet delay)
Edit line: this car was on 238hp
1709633968599.png

In the end winning for not pitting, though this car will do the same with a max power setup, just around 80 seconds faster.
For testing purpose, removing all the unnecessary aero that I added for "highest possible traction" I could propably drop power by another 10hp.

Last "of course": of course this car produces vastly better results with more power, because there simply was never I point at which I had enough speed to make use of all the traction, through the 2 long sweeping turns I was still full on the accelerator.

Just for the lol I might have a look at the Copen, but I doubt it has enough potential, yet it should be placed against competition of the same PP ;)

Last edited:
Some cars flat out suck with racing tires. IMO one good way to strip all the character out of a cars handling is to slap racing soft tires on it. It’s like everybody is afraid of a car being a bit loose. I’m trying to tune a Camaro right now that’s got some good power, I can drive it around a track just fine on comfort softs. Although I’m wanting to get it to hookup a tiny bit better yet. Yes I could slap on racing soft but now it’s not going to four wheel drift corners and I will be able to just mash the throttle.

I’m trying to work the tune so it’s a bit more predictable. I am getting close. If I can’t get it, I’ll need to go to sports hard tires.
I slap on racing tyres when I feel like I want the car to be faster than it is, feel like a lot of people only do it to be faster, not for "driving enjoyment" go to any lobby if it's not drifters, 90% of people are on racing tyres..

Of course most of the time the car can't handle the slicks so I'll need to retune and increase rigidity just to even drive the thing

I prefer SS tyres personally. Never had a need for SM tyres but I imagine it's probably nicer to drive than SS

Last edited:
I slap on racing tyres when I feel like I want the car to be faster than it is, feel like a lot of people only do it to be faster, not for "driving enjoyment" go to any lobby if it's not drifters, 90% of people are on racing tyres..

Of course most of the time the car can't handle the slicks so I'll need to retune and increase rigidity just to even drive the thing

I prefer SS tyres personally. Never had a need for SM tyres but I imagine it's probably nicer to drive than SS
Yeah I run a lobby that varies but a lot of the time I have it on comfort or sport and lots of people enter and leave when they see the room settings. I think too many people rely on the racing tires. I find them unenjoyable unless it’s on the right car… like a race car. But yeah, they grip grip grip until they don’t. I think that’s what I don’t like about them. I enjoy comfort soft tires. I’ve got a Camaro tune I’m working on with comfort soft and 440-450hp. You can’t just mash the gas. I think most people like to do that, brake hard, turn, full throttle.

Most people are on the controller, so for them racing tyres and all the driving aids is what they want. I enjoy SS on the controller but if I could use my wheel rig on PS5 then I might try out Comfort softs

Most people are on the controller, so for them racing tyres and all the driving aids is what they want. I enjoy SS on the controller but if I could use my wheel rig on PS5 then I might try out Comfort softs
Yeah it’s definitely a lot of fun when you have a car that doesn’t have grip for days. Reminds me of GT Legends. None of the cars were all that fast but it was an awesome game because suddenly we had a racing game that wasn’t just floor it and turn with some braking. That was the first time we got a wheel though. Microsoft sidewinder. But it was an awesomely fun game and somewhat challenging. I see people are still playing that game too.

But good to know, sports soft or less might weed out the twitchy controller drivers. There are some really good ones that you’d never know are running a controller they’re quite smooth. One time I was behind a controller driver, I try to race as clean as possible and I had a heck of a time passing them because I didn’t know where they were going to be. Like following a drunk driver haha

Back