to everyone who is upset with the lighting in gt5p:demo

• Thread starter 97z28m6
  • 8 comments
Oh i don`t know,it seems to a little dark to me,especially on certain parts of the track. Makes it pretty hard to see the tacho/speedo needles and gauge your cornering speeds,have to use the digital ones & frustrates me.

Oh i don`t know,it seems to a little dark to me,especially on certain parts of the track. Makes it pretty hard to see the tacho/speedo needles and gauge your cornering speeds,have to use the digital ones & frustrates me.

agreed, Its like shadows are toooo dark in the demo. Anything the light touches is real nice but the darkness is to dark to fade everything out.

It's called tone mapping. And it's incomplete. Sorry to bring up the point YET AGAIN, but you're playing the very first public build of a game that won't be released for well over a year... a demo of a demo of a demo, ad nauseum.. they've got a LOT of work to do yet, and if you honestly think that they're not aware of the tone mapping problems, then you're either crazy or stupid.

I'm getting tired of talking about it. This is only the hundredth time someone has complained about it. If the OP had read the threads here on the boards, he would have seen that this discussion has already taken place many, many times.

At least the detail and everything allows the game to make up for any bad lighting issues.

Forza is perhaps the worst culprit when it comes to lighting, either incredibly dark, or stunningly bright, and the lack of general detail makes it look terrible.

matherto is right about Forza. The background lighting and shadows are pretty good, but the cars have stunningly extreme fake HDR. The car shadows are atrocious, and worse, the paint in the shadows, especially reds, takes on a super reflective metalflake effect. Even red decals suffer from that, so I'm thinking it's a color palette issue.

The Prologue demo is really very good. It resembles real life very closely even on my Samsung, and the Samsungs for years suffered from exaggerated contrast themselves, mine included. Dark shadows could swallow entire scenes. I had to do a lot of fussing to get the display to look reasonable.

I just wanted to bump this up a bit since my experience is probably like most others who didn't care for the lighting and shading.

I just bought a Sony Bravia yesterday (WEE!!), and got it home as fast as I could (after taking the relatives shopping a bit more). I let my relative in the Nissan Group play the Prologue demo since he'd been hot to try it for a while, and from an angle it was breathtaking. But when I finally sat down in front of the set, I had the same experience I had when I first got my Samsung. The contrast was greatly exaggerated, more so than compared to the cable TV image. The city scene was particularly bad, as shadows went inky black almost instantly. But watching carefully I could tell that it was overly contrasted too.

So, I played around with the parameters a bit but that didn't really solve the problem, until I put the primary image quality parameter from Vivid to Custom. THEN a whole ton of image parameters opened up that had been grayed out in the menu, or hidden in submenus. This crazy thing has two enhanced contrast parameters, a black level parameter, and THREE white level parameters! And I didn't have a calibration disc, but just eyeballing it with my artist vision, I got it very close to a vivid, realistic image, and now I'm in heaven.

So those of you with HDTVs who think the contrast is bad, it's more than likely your TV. The defaults really don't give you a good image. Read the manual and if you're a kid, make sure you ask the parentals first or get them into it, because you can louse up the image pretty badly if you go crazy adjusting parameters at random. But especially if you have a calibration DVD/Blu-ray (get one by the way), you'll end up with an eyepopping image.

Latest Posts

Back