To my ears engine sounds are better in GT6

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sofo
  • 31 comments
  • 3,489 views
Messages
104
Denmark
Copenhagen
Messages
Sofo2409
That is better than in GT5.

I've only tried a limited amount of cars like: efini RX-7, M4 Coupe, Stingray C7, DELTA Hf, Focus ST, Kart junior, Mito 1.4, Fit RS, Clio R.S, Andretti 48 Hudson.

Have to say i almost haven't tuned the cars except from tyres and engine. Didn't dare touch Exhaust.

Engines don't have the horrific artificial computerized sounds like i heard in GT5. They sound quite natural to me (haven't heard the originals though).
Is it because i stayed away from tuning, or are the engines really better sounding in GT6?

As it is i'm quite happy with the sounds i've heard so far, as opposed to GT5.
 
I think original exhausts sound way better than tuning exhausts in most cases. People always seem to install the racing exhaust which in most cases sounds like **** and then wonder why PD won't make better sounds. Way to go..
 
I think original exhausts sound way better than tuning exhausts in most cases. People always seem to install the racing exhaust which in most cases sounds like **** and then wonder why PD won't make better sounds. Way to go..
What?
 

Meaning that by installing new exhaust (other than stock) you can possibly ruin the sound of the car making it sound like a vacuum cleaner.

I agree with @R500 and @Sofo
 
Meaning that by installing new exhaust (other than stock) you can possibly ruin the sound of the car making it sound like a vacuum cleaner.

I agree with @R500 and @Sofo
I understand that but he wrote it as if it's people's fault because they chose to install racing exhaust and not pd's for bad development and not fixing a problem that has been there since gt5
 
Strange... I know they ruined my 69 rm camaro... It now sounds like a bunch of broken engine parts are being shaken in a coffee can, it was the best sound in GT 5... So arguably some cars got worse... But some did improve but audio in GT as a whole is still firmly stuck in last gen...
 
I understand that but he wrote it as if it's people's fault because they chose to install racing exhaust and not pd's for bad development and not fixing a problem that has been there since gt5
I completely agree with this. One of the functions of a normal car exhaust is to reduce noise. Surely a tuning exhaust should make it sound better (or no worse at the very least)?
 
It means your opening up the whole engine noise and making it clearer and louder, not computerizing it, there are some small exceptions. The Stingray '14 stock exhaust sounds like a low hum, which is not at all how a Vette should sound, throwing a Sports Exhaust on it makes it sound a bit better.

As usual, wait for PD to patch, they patched the sounds in GT5 by a little bit so expect the same for GT6.
 
I'd go see a doctor about your ears!

Only the RedBull jr has proper high quality sound which is totally different to even the best of the rest.
 
I'd been away from GT5 for a month or so before hopping into GT6, but I agree with the OP.

From the first car you get into in GT6, the sounds are notably better than in GT5. They're not perfect, for sure, but they are better. On top of that, you can hear tyre squeal to the point that it actually offers some information to take into account when driving.

Now that I'm almost finished Super, and I've tried a few non-prize cars, it's clear that PD still have a lot of work to do to. A step in the right direction is something though.

PD did say that they "might-probably" update the sound in a download after release.

I'd go see a doctor about your ears!

Only the RedBull jr has proper high quality sound which is totally different to even the best of the rest.

Did the OP say anything about "proper high quality"?
 
Did the OP say anything about "proper high quality"?

So he means they are very slightly differently mixed dreadful low quality sounds?

Oh sorry, yes i agree, they are!
 
Camaro Z28 '69 and Nova SS '70 + Racing Exhaust = AWESOMENESS
 
So he means they are very slightly differently mixed dreadful low quality sounds?

Oh sorry, yes i agree, they are!

For my mind (and perhaps the OP's?), the difference is that I wasn't expecting any change from GT5 to the initial release of GT6 but perhaps a great change months down the line (This is what a PD interview hinted at anyway.). The fact that I could actually hear the tyres was pretty significant.

I've never driven Forza (or others) to compare. I haven't tried the Red Bull karts yet either, so perhaps when I do I'll understand the quality difference you're talking about.
 
I agree that they generally sound better but in some races the sound drops out, or rather some components do, leaving me with a hysterical vacuum cleaner.
 
I completely agree with this. One of the functions of a normal car exhaust is to reduce noise. Surely a tuning exhaust should make it sound better (or no worse at the very least)?

I am not so much into the sound or the graphics for that matter. Hell, my favorite cars are both standards. However, I think the sounds are OK.

As far as a "tuned" exhaust making the car sound better just listen to all those ricers driving tuned exhaust on Hondas that are running around. Is a tuned exhaust really better in the real world? Factory tuned maybe butt most aftermarket exhaust only sound good to the guy that paid big bucks to install it.
 
I think original exhausts sound way better than tuning exhausts in most cases. People always seem to install the racing exhaust which in most cases sounds like **** and then wonder why PD won't make better sounds. Way to go..
The last time I checked installing a racing exhaust on my personal car didn't make it sound like hell. It actually made it sound very mean. Don't know why PD thinks otherwise.
 
Sorry fellow GT6 drivers but the sounds in this game are dreadful. I drive a variety of street cars regularly and we test them at high speed and I can assure you that very few of the engine sounds in this game are realistic, nor is the constant tire squeal when you turn the steering wheel. When you drive a car at speed, the tires only squeal when you are approaching the limit of adhesion. in this game you can get the tires squealing by simply turning a corner, even more ridiculous is race cars with race tires squealing, wrong. Race slicks will only squeal when they break loose and at that point you are spinning. I am hopeful though that they will work to patch this but it really should have been right before it was launched.
 
Sorry fellow GT6 drivers but the sounds in this game are dreadful. I drive a variety of street cars regularly and we test them at high speed and I can assure you that very few of the engine sounds in this game are realistic, nor is the constant tire squeal when you turn the steering wheel. When you drive a car at speed, the tires only squeal when you are approaching the limit of adhesion. in this game you can get the tires squealing by simply turning a corner, even more ridiculous is race cars with race tires squealing, wrong. Race slicks will only squeal when they break loose and at that point you are spinning. I am hopeful though that they will work to patch this but it really should have been right before it was launched.

Totally agree about the ridiculous tyre squealing, as I mentioned in a post on my first day with GT6.

I do think the exhaust sounds in GT6 are better than in GT5 though, guess many will see (hear) things differently.
 
If there's a car that i really liked the Engine sound is the X2010.
It no longer sounds like a Formula 1. I got very suprised by it's sound when i did Goodwood 6-3.

Also, it's impossible to complain if it's unrealistic or not because the car doesn't even exist...
 
i agree the sounds are better. however if you put semi racing exhaust on a boss 302 or gt500 they have the note of a camaro SS on racing exhaust... the camaro SS racing exhaust shorty side pipes are awesome but they did not give the camaro a realistic racing exhaust sound.


then they gave the X1's an actual FXX sound.


(see youtube -
Ferrari FXX Evolution PURE SOUND )
 
Some cars do sound better, some still sound computerized. Most rally cars sound suspiciously like a certain cleaning appliance I use... but some do have a good rumble and rally roar. PD has opted for a singular channel of noise. They don't mix the exhaust and engine note like IRL, they either focus on one or the other.

Buy a Stingray '14, it sounds like a whooshing sound, a vacuum to be completely honest, nothing like IRL, but maybe its because they are recording purely from the exhaust. The C63 AMG and SLS AMG sound very AMG whiney, yes its pretty close to the real life version, but the roar and V8 rumble from the exhaust is completely gone, just the engine note.

With the RedBull X2014 Jr, they have done a much more accurate job of portraying sound. When you ease off the throttle, there is the sound as the revs wind down, even downshifting no longer has that repetitive sound as if someone switched on a Dyson. It sounds good. Hopefully they improve on this. PD does look at GTPlanet, so if they hear positive results with the RedBull, it might encourage them to do the same for other cars.
 
With the RedBull X2014 Jr, they have done a much more accurate job of portraying sound. When you ease off the throttle, there is the sound as the revs wind down, even downshifting no longer has that repetitive sound as if someone switched on a Dyson. It sounds good. Hopefully they improve on this. PD does look at GTPlanet, so if they hear positive results with the RedBull, it might encourage them to do the same for other cars.

Yeah, like i said the RedBull X2014 JR is the ONLY car in the game with proper really good sound. (X2014 best of the computerised vacuums)
I thought this would be the start of the new sounds we are supposed to be getting but the Mario Andretti Hudson was released after that and in the video of Mario being reunited with it you see PD take sound recordings from it and it unfortunately sounds like the rest of the rubbish.

How ironic that the two cars with the best sounds in the game are fictional.

"The Real Driving Simulator"?

Oh btw, how do you know PD look at GTPlanet ?
I don't think they do at all.
 
GTPlanet gets personal interviews with Kaz himself if you check the news section, he got an honorary shirt from GTP (i know not much) and he stated somewhere that he does appreciate this community. Don't remember the links, but at least they look occasionally, I mean most companies do have a PR sector. @phil_75
 
That is better than in GT5.

I've only tried a limited amount of cars like: efini RX-7, M4 Coupe, Stingray C7, DELTA Hf, Focus ST, Kart junior, Mito 1.4, Fit RS, Clio R.S, Andretti 48 Hudson.

Have to say i almost haven't tuned the cars except from tyres and engine. Didn't dare touch Exhaust.

Engines don't have the horrific artificial computerized sounds like i heard in GT5. They sound quite natural to me (haven't heard the originals though).
Is it because i stayed away from tuning, or are the engines really better sounding in GT6?

As it is i'm quite happy with the sounds i've heard so far, as opposed to GT5.
You're right. They used the same samples but mix is different, the low tones are now more obvious.
 
How the cars sound will probably always be something of a taste thing BUT I think we can all agree that still having TOTALLY wrong engine sounds on many cars shows me that PD so far has put no effort into getting sounds right.
Case in point- the Vette based LM cars all have very nice but TOTALLY wrong GTR type sounds...considering they have some decent sounding V8 engines in the game how hard would it be for PD to assign one of them to these cars?
It would be understandable if we were talking some exotic rare car but who doesnt know what big pushrod american V8s sound like? Certainly PD does so whats the problem?
I bet one programmer could impliment reassigning ALL the inappropriate sounds in a single day..which tells me until they refocus on the sound, they arent spending ANY time on it.

That is better than in GT5.

I've only tried a limited amount of cars like: efini RX-7, M4 Coupe, Stingray C7, DELTA Hf, Focus ST, Kart junior, Mito 1.4, Fit RS, Clio R.S, Andretti 48 Hudson.

Have to say i almost haven't tuned the cars except from tyres and engine. Didn't dare touch Exhaust.

Engines don't have the horrific artificial computerized sounds like i heard in GT5. They sound quite natural to me (haven't heard the originals though).
Is it because i stayed away from tuning, or are the engines really better sounding in GT6?

As it is i'm quite happy with the sounds i've heard so far, as opposed to GT5.
 
I agree. The sounds are much better than the last one. For instance, the 1988 camaro actually sounds like the muscle car it is in the new game than it did in the last one.
 
t
he 63 Z06 race car sounds like a high-pitched turbine vacuum cleaner...does not sound a thing like a big cammed V8

Never mind, it's fine on Silverstone, but was terrible on Apricot Hill...

this game is very buggy
 
Last edited:
But.. But.. Kaz is a perfectionist! :lol:

Yeah, I have heard that but I guess his Quality Control boffins don't listen to him. Hell, even his marketing types, he must have those, no? I understand this is his dream, his idea, his vision, but he is not an indie game producer where half-ass design and a lack of execution is one of the genre's charms.

He is producing a mass-market product that consumers purchase in very high numbers. Those consumers have certain expectations of quality and design and if PD was run properly, mid level management would work hard at being responsible for meeting the consumers demands. I am not splitting hairs so don't flame, I mean that there are certain basic expectations that have not been met and the sounds are one of the main ones.

Its rather unfortunate because PD and Kaz have shown this franchise has huge potential but ironically Kaz's inability to properly connect with the consumers expectations, mean the potential will never be realized.
 
Camaro Z28 '69 and Nova SS '70 + Racing Exhaust = AWESOMENESS
They sound hideous.


Here's a recycled sound they used in a bunch of car in GT6.




How does that sound like this (minus the lopey cam, they sound the same on takeoff):

 
Back