Toe And Camber?

Hi Ive been Drifting A lot These Days, but I'm Not Drifting the Common Cars I'm more into drifting exotic, weird, old or expensive drift cars :) but its very hard to find a tune for Most of the cars i want to drift so i was thinking of creating my own tunes. But im not really a pro when it comes to tuning so i was wondering if someone could help me out.

1. What is toe and how does it affect your drift car?

2. What is a General Setting or things one should know when tuning for toe?

3. what is Camber and how does it affect your Car

4. What is a General Setting or things one should know when tuning for Camber?

Increased camber reduces tyre contact with the road.
The higher the camber, the more the car will slide.
Too much front camber and the car will greatly understeer.
The front and rear camber must be balanced (not equal) to stop the back end trying to overtake the front, or vise versa.

Chris.

Toe is an adjustment that moves the front ends of your wheels (as viewed from above) towards or away from each other, this affects your straight line stability. Toe in makes the car want to keep going in a straight line while toe out makes it want to move off to one side. In drifting it's common to have a bit of toe in on the rear to keep the back end of the car more stable mid drift. Toe out isn't unheard of, but it gives the car a very different feel, this boils down to personal preference. I would stay within 0.2 in or out while tuning. I usually use 0.2 in.

Camber moves the tops of your wheels (as viewed from the front) towards or away from each other, and affects handling characteristics mid cornering.

Assume your normal stock setup looks like this from the front: ||-----||
If you dial in some negative camber the wheels will look like this: //-----\\

Now, when cornering you exert a lateral force on the wheels, tilting them a bit to one side or the other, so when you take a hard left hand corner in your car with the STOCK setup, your tires will sort of do this: //-----//

However, if you added negative camber, your wheels will look more like this while taking a hard left: //-----||

As you can see, the outside wheel has a much larger contact area with the track, and since the outside tires take the majority of the load when cornering, you'll feel improved steering response and grip in the corner. Positive camber settings are uncommon, mostly used in Nascar type racing with an asymmetrical suspension setup to improve contact on the banked track.

Too much camber can make the car behave strangely, as you're reducing your contact area during neutral, forward driving. In real life you also get tire wear issues.

When tuning, the average realistic upper boundary is around 3 degrees. You could go as high as 4.5 without being completely ridiculous, though that's pushing it a bit. For drifting you'll usually run more camber in the front than back (if any in the back at all). It will help with turn in and steering response mid drift, a bit of rear camber will help lay down a little more power while drifting I guess? Rear wheel camber on drift setups is an area I don't fully understand. Hopefully someone can clear it up.

all the weight is shifted over to the right hand wheel which would straighten it up so he is right in his original post..

Nope, the car is turning hard to the left, so the wheels would roll a bit to the right.

Ahh I see!
I apologize as I was tired and misread your post.

I assumed you were still talking about toe when I saw your //----|| diagrams.

I deserve punishment :(

Chris.

*a sigh of releif as chris has avoided a correction from TwinTurbo*

Toe and camber is very important when coming to drifting.

Generally people like 0 front and 0 rear toe but i like the front -2 and rear 0 to give it a bit more responsivness and angle.

Camber is something that's really based on your style.

I have a way of using camber if you have 5 camber in front then i like 3.0 in back i divide the front and add .5 so (5)-(2.5)+5=3.0 which will be your rear.

My current camber likings for rwd cars it's 6 in the front and 3.5 in the back
For AWD cars i use 5 camber in the front and 3 in the back:)

I'm a noob too, I've tried a variety of different cars and found the KPGC10 to my liking so far.

I generally run the camber at 0.5 front, 0.0 rear
Toe out 1.0 front and rear

As I say I'm a noob too, but I've found the car much better after that, I've also diff locked the LSD and stiffened the rear anti-toll bar.

The front and rear camber must be balanced (not equal) to stop the back end trying to overtake the front, or vise versa.

Chris.

holy crap this is wrong.

i'm sure the turbo dude will chime in, and i'm pretty lazy, let's see how far i get before i get lazy:

-more front (negative) camber, more contact patch when turned
-camber in general, changes with the squat of the car/weight distribution/blah blah blah, camber is not constant

okay nevermind. take it away, turbo pro drift guy!

Such a pointless post. You basically post to tell someone he is wrong, yet can't be bothered to prove why?.

Why did you even bother?.

As for the camber settings, GodfreyGT5 is correct!. Front and back need to be balanced but not within close proximity. If you use say, -5.2 Rear Camber, the car is likely to be very very slippery yet very slow through it's drift with not particularly the most angle!. Only increase Rear Camber if you want to slow the cars drifting speed down. Front Camber basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner. GodfreyGT5 is correct in saying "Too Much" will cause you're car to understeer. I use about 0.5/9 on the rear and 1.3 on the front for nearly all cars!.

Toe on the other hand i cannot help as i do not adjust it on my cars.

before you post next time (others might too)
theres is a yellow ? above the settings where you can adjust in suspension meny on your car.
Read and then ask.

Toe out on the front makes it responsive and unstable improving oversteer.
toe in on the front makes it slower to response to steering and makes the car understeer more.

toe out on the rear makes it over steer and vice versa too much in either direction makes the car oversteer because it cant get grip while rolling!

Not when done properly. It's supposed to be matched to spring rate and body roll to ensure the tyres are flat on the road surface during cornering ;)

Only once you've passed thepoint at which the tyre sits flat ;)

Yes, but too little and it will understeer aswell.

They don't need to be balanced to each other, they need to be balanced to the suspension stiffness and thus body-roll ;)

*Paitiently waits for TwinTurboCH's response to clear everything up* :)
LOL Am I THAT obvious :D

*Patiently hopes that TwinTurboCH will get back to him on FC spring rates* :sly:
This afternoon I will be tuning and setting up a Z32 and an FC for you and someone else who asked me. I'll give you a shout when it's done :)

I have a way of using camber if you have 5 camber in front then i like 3.0 in back i divide the front and add .5 so (5)-(2.5)+5=3.0 which will be your rear.
Balancing your camber to each other is pointless, it's supposed to be balanced to spring rate/ARB settings (i.e. bodyroll)

holy crap this is wrong.

i'm sure the turbo dude will chime in, and i'm pretty lazy, let's see how far i get before i get lazy:

-camber in general, changes with the squat of the car/weight distribution/blah blah blah, camber is not constant

LOL wish I could get away with the 'lazy' thing. I've just spent half an hour typing the below post haha

To the OP, it'll take a LONG time to describe in total detail, but basically it's as follows:

Since this is in the drifting forum, I will only talk about the ways these setting affect drift cars. I could do race cars aswell, but I really can't be bothered to type a ten page essay LOL

TOE: On a full-on drift car, toe-in/toe-out is USUALLY only applied to the rear. This is mainly because we modify the front hubs to reduce 'ackerman', but that's a whole different post in itself discussing amount of steering lock and stability at HUGE angles.

Toe-in, the front of the wheels on the affected axle (rear) are closer together than the rear's of the same wheels (like a duck's feet). On the rear, this causes the car to increase traction (therefore less oversteer, more understeer), meaning more grip when accelerating. It also increases rolling resistance. Use a little toe-in on cars with too much oversteer.

Toe-out, this is the opposite of above, the front's of the wheels on the affected axle are further apart than the rears (opposite of a duck's feet LOL). On the rear this will cause the back end to step out more readily when turning in. The downside is that straight line stability is affected, because if one wheel loses grip (lock-up under braking fro instance), the other wheel will try to pull the back end out of line. Use toe-out for cars which have too much understeer.

CAMBER This is done because, during cornering, the body of the car will roll, causing the pitch of the wheels to change and the tyres not be flat on the tarmac. Easiest way to explain it is, think what happens when you corner hard in a normal road car, it feels like the front tyres are folding under the car, this is because the body is rolling lots, but the tyres are vertical to the body, so they are now as far away from vertical as the body of the car is away from being flat (a few degrees) so the tyres are not flat on the road, reducing contact patch size, and therefore grip. The complex part arises when you realise that, on most cars, camber changes with ride height. If you lower most standard road cars, you will end up with camber that wasn't there before. So you need to take this into account when setting up. A car with more suspension travel will have more camber variation than one with a very stiff setup.

Negative Camber This is where the top of the wheel leans inwards towards the body of the car. Set it perfect on the rear and the tyres will sit flat on the road during cornering, but if you have too much, the car will have reduced contact patch in a straight line and so you will lose straight line grip and also grip on iinital turn-in (before the body gets a chance to roll) causing excess oversteer on corner entry.
Where it gets complex is on the front, because camber changes as you apply steering lock. Again, look on your road car. Put the car on full lock and get out and look at the front wheels. The outside wheel (front right if you have turned the wheel to the left or vice versa) will be close to vertical (not exactly) because, when cornering normally, this is the wheel you want to have the most grip. However, the inside wheel will most likely now be canted over at a severe camber angle, on the road/track this doesn't matter much, beacause this wheel is unwieghted during cornering anyway. In drifting however, when sideways, this 'canted over' wheel is now the outside wheel (because you are on opposite lock) and as such, is the wheel that does all your steering, and so needs the most grip, so to have it lacking grip is a bad thing. What we tend to do is add some negative camber while the wheels are straight so that, when the wheels are on full lock, the outside wheel sits flat on the tarmac and so provides the most grip and most direct steering.

Positive Camber This is when the tops of the wheels lean out away from the body of the car. This is basically never used in drifting unless you are suffering lack of traction in a car with very soft rear susension but very stiff anti-roll bars. I've only ever seen it used once on a drift car in real life and that was on a relatively softly sprung PS13, and even then it was only 0.4 degrees. It was done so that, when the driver went hard on throttle, the rear end squatted, altering camber and causing the rear tyres to sit totally vertical, giving maximum grip.

I don't know if any of the above makes sence, it's kind of hard without pictures or being able to demonstrate.
If you are still struggling to understand, I'll get my petrol RC touring cars out and make a little video showing the effects and reasoning :)

Last edited:
Such a pointless post. You basically post to tell someone he is wrong, yet can't be bothered to prove why?.

Why did you even bother?.

As for the camber settings, GodfreyGT5 is correct!. Front and back need to be balanced but not within close proximity. If you use say, -5.2 Rear Camber, the car is likely to be very very slippery yet very slow through it's drift with not particularly the most angle!. Only increase Rear Camber if you want to slow the cars drifting speed down. Front Camber basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner. GodfreyGT5 is correct in saying "Too Much" will cause you're car to understeer. I use about 0.5/9 on the rear and 1.3 on the front for nearly all cars!.

Toe on the other hand i cannot help as i do not adjust it on my cars.

umad?

I'll say you're wrong too.

I tried -0.5 camber on the rear of my 240 before, and got OUTSIDE TIRE WEAR.

And front camber determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner?

It doesn't do anything else DURING the corner? Or BEFORE? That's strange.

But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. This is a video game, not real life, so maybe real rules of car setup and physics don't apply.

Then again, judging by the novel twinturbo just wrote, I'm gonna guess and say real life setups apply to the game.

Maybe.

TTCH, do you have a thread somewhere explaining all the parts of the suspension? I would be very interested in reading it

umad?

I'll say you're wrong too.

I tried -0.5 camber on the rear of my 240 before, and got OUTSIDE TIRE WEAR.

And front camber determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner?

It doesn't do anything else DURING the corner? Or BEFORE? That's strange.

But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. This is a video game, not real life, so maybe real rules of car setup and physics don't apply.

Then again, judging by the novel twinturbo just wrote, I'm gonna guess and say real life setups apply to the game.

Maybe.

maybe just maybe.. it's a game :)or did we all forget that that.. sorry for not putting EVERYTHING in but hell.. atleast i bothered to give it a bash instead of saying.. BLAH BLAH im just too lazy..

reply when you have a valid argument

^sorry admin of gtplanet, i won't reply until i "have a valid argument."

oh, wait.

---

=

BLAH BLAH im just too lazy

?

wat

---

for OP, if you have to ask about toe and camber, then you probably shouldn't touch them, since you most likely won't be able to tell the difference in changing setups anyway. just add some negative camber in the front and you'll probably be fine.

holy crap this is wrong.

alright jimmy boy, here's a thoughtful post, just for you!

---

-"Front and back need to be balanced but not within close proximity."

sure.

-"If you use say, -5.2 Rear Camber, the car is likely to be very very slippery yet very slow through it's drift with not particularly the most angle!."

WRONG. angle of the car = dependent on rear camber? did you read that on drifting.com? you can drift with -10 degrees of camber, you can still have tons of angle.

-"Only increase Rear Camber if you want to slow the cars drifting speed down."

are you kidding me? increase rear camber. from what? 0 degrees? -5 degrees? how can you tell someone to increase rear camber if you don't even tell them how or by how much? and from what current setting?

-"Front Camber basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner. GodfreyGT5 is correct in saying "Too Much" will cause you're car to understeer."

front camber BASICALLY determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner? where the hell did you hear that from? that's like saying "to win a basketball game, you have to make a basket."

"people have to eat in order to survive."

there are more factors. defense, passing game, and tons of other stuff for basketball. and i'm pretty sure i don't need to further explain what else is needed in order to survive.

okay, watch:

rear camber basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner.

front toe basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner.

rear toe basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner.

caster basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner.

suspension basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner.

driver skill basically determines how well the car pulls itself out of the corner.

you see what i did there?

-"I use about 0.5/9 on the rear and 1.3 on the front for nearly all cars!."

you use the same setup.

for every car.

fr, rr?

really?

"Toe on the other hand i cannot help as i do not adjust it on my cars."

wonderful.

---

that was from the heart, jimmybean!

but hey, maybe you CAN drift with the same setup, because it'll properly work in this game. that's fine, game physics are different from real physics, and maybe some things make sense in the game but not in real life. but when people start bringing in actual terms and knowledge of real drifting, and try to apply it to the game, AND ARE WRONG, then it really should stop.

this forum needs either:

1. more twin turbo dudes who actually know what they're talking about
2. less jimmy buffets who THINK they know what they're talking about, and are poisoning the minds of other kids on the forum, who then regurgitate the information they "learn" to even more kids.

that took longer than expected, but i hope now you can "atleast you can appreciate my work.."

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but it's come up a few times in this thread when people are trying to be concise.

I know this is splitting hairs but technically 'increasing camber' is not the right way to say it, as it implies that you are changing the camber from 0 to 0.5 or whatever. What you actually want to say is (since you want to be running negative camber) that you are 'increasing negative camber'.

I know it's a really minor point, but when trying to educate, you have to be as clear as possible. :)

Now you're implying i'm a kid? yeah because that has everything to do with it.. exactly mytton.. he's being a tool! if he had said.. "jimmy that's incorrect as a matter of fact i'll explain for you now"... but no you have been an arrogant **** and banged on and on about how you are right.. So say what you wish in reply as it will simply be ignored..

I wrote what i thought was correct! not drumming it into someones head.. and not one point whe someone stated i was wrong have i then continued to tell them i'm right so NO i'm not "drumming it into some other kids head".. THANKYOU

Yeah TwinTurbo i see you're point where i should have added extra words i noticed that as soon as you pointed it out :P...

Back