toe angle and camber

• Thread starter lofty4646
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
northyorkshire
loftylyons46
I enjoy tuning my cars sorting out a good suspension setting but i have found better results having toe annd camber angles both at 0 to give me better results and tweaking spring damper rollbar brakes and lsd settings to give more reliable results any other tuners the same ? Thanks .

It depends on the car for me or what my goal for the tune is, some have the opinion that camber is or isn't broken also. Maybe @DolHaus and @Motor City Hami can help explain this better than me, I feel like I might over complicate my explanation. If you haven't taken a look at the General Tuning Guide yet, I feel DolHaus does a good job at explaining things with each setting.

I enjoy tuning my cars sorting out a good suspension setting but i have found better results having toe annd camber angles both at 0 to give me better results and tweaking spring damper rollbar brakes and lsd settings to give more reliable results any other tuners the same ? Thanks .
0.0/0.00 is always the best place to start when tuning the other components of your suspension as it gives you the most honest feedback from the changes you are making. By removing toe/camber we are removing their effects and influence over the tune which allows us to feel more precisely what effect each separate adjustment is having on the car. Its sort of like removing the variables from an experiment.

I wouldn't say that your finished result should always be 0.0/0.00 though, while it works well on some cars others may benefit from tweaks to the toe/camber. Toe is a surprising dominant tuning parameter and can have a huge effect on the performance and handling of a car. Camber is a bit odd to say the least, sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't, I wouldn't disregard it completely though as it can have a significant effect on how the car performs.

My advise would always be to start at 0.0/0.00 while tuning the main suspension components and then experiment with toe/camber last to further refine the tune, you can always put it back to 0 if you don't like it so there is no harm in experimenting 👍

I enjoy tuning my cars sorting out a good suspension setting but i have found better results having toe and camber angles both at 0 to give me better results and tweaking spring damper rollbar brakes and lsd settings to give more reliable results any other tuners the same ? Thanks .

It could possibly work some of the time. Some people believe 0 camber always gives best results but I think less believe 0 toe always gives best results.

Got any FF tunes? See if they don't drive better or lap faster as you add more and more rear toe out.

The benefit/effect of toe and camber should become more clear on certain tracks or on certain cars or with certain tyres, etc.

Toe will effect oversteer/understeer. Springs/dampers do also but they also effect how a tune rides bumps, so at least some of the time, tuning toe should be beneficial.

Starting toe at zero in the early stages of developing a tune is very often a reasonable thing to do and there are many tunes with very small amounts of toe tuning which would not suffer too badly if you were to change toe to zero and make another adjustment to suspension.

0.0/0.00 is always the best place to start when tuning the other components of your suspension as it gives you the most honest feedback from the changes you are making. By removing toe/camber we are removing their effects and influence over the tune which allows us to feel more precisely what effect each separate adjustment is having on the car. Its sort of like removing the variables from an experiment.

I wouldn't say that your finished result should always be 0.0/0.00 though, while it works well on some cars others may benefit from tweaks to the toe/camber. Toe is a surprising dominant tuning parameter and can have a huge effect on the performance and handling of a car. Camber is a bit odd to say the least, sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't, I wouldn't disregard it completely though as it can have a significant effect on how the car performs.

My advise would always be to start at 0.0/0.00 while tuning the main suspension components and then experiment with toe/camber last to further refine the tune, you can always put it back to 0 if you don't like it so there is no harm in experimenting 👍
Thanks for your help I will go and tweak a few tunes as you say not all are close and need a little help .it's confusing looking at some tunes as they seem to use camber and toe angles before the primary suspension

Thanks for your help I will go and tweak a few tunes as you say not all are close and need a little help .it's confusing looking at some tunes as they seem to use camber and toe angles before the primary suspension
I don't know about other tuners, but I tune my primary suspension parts, then I start testing camber and toe angles, and sometimes I readjust the primary suspension to fit the new camber and toe settings. When one thing changes, another area is also affected. Good luck. 👍

I don't know about other tuners, but I tune my primary suspension parts, then I start testing camber and toe angles, and sometimes I readjust the primary suspension to fit the new camber and toe settings. When one thing changes, another area is also affected. Good luck. 👍
You tune very similar to me then. I try and neutralise toe to around 0.00/0.00 when setting up suspension spring rates and then when I am happy with that aspect, I go to work on Toe and camber (if any camber is required).

Great advice i will keep tuning im not looking for perfection really but a good base to start and then refine it to the track im on .Thanks

Great advice i will keep tuning im not looking for perfection really but a good base to start and then refine it to the track im on .Thanks
Always experiment, you won't learn anything if you don't try. Change one thing at a time and then test, that way you can isolate the causes and effects and learn what settings you need to tweak in which direction to make the car do what you want.
If you start making multiple adjustments at once you'll struggle to work out which settings are making the car better and which are making it worse, a "2 steps forward 1 step back" kind of scenario, very easy to get lost in and screw up a tune.
Work methodically and efficiently, start with relatively large adjustments and refine down to smaller and smaller increments until you find the best solution to your problems. Don't forget the tuning tabs as well, if you think you've got the car pretty balanced but want to try something different then copy the settings over to a new tab before making any drastic changes, that way if it doesn't end up making it better you still have your original base tune to revert to 👍

You tune very similar to me then. I try and neutralise toe to around 0.00/0.00 when setting up suspension spring rates and then when I am happy with that aspect, I go to work on Toe and camber (if any camber is required).

Hi thanks for your input if you would be interested in sharing tunes let me know would like a tuning partner to pick a track and car an see what we come up with .

Hi thanks for your input if you would be interested in sharing tunes let me know would like a tuning partner to pick a track and car an see what we come up with .
If you responded to my message, I don't currently have the time to do any joint projects. I have just started a demanding uni course so I am cutting down on tunes for my own garage. Thank you anyway. I wish you all the best with your tunes.

I'm not going to resay what I've already seen others say, just going to add a quick point to all the above.
Camber to me is tunable for 90% of the tracks in game. Basically anything with lots of corners and angles will be definitely tracks to play around with camber a tint bit.
But like oval tracks, round Daytona tracks and the "like the wind" tracks I will usually eliminate cambers back to 0.00.
Thats where the three settings saves come in handy. I usually keep section 3 for the speed-only Daytona type set ups, and use section 1 and 2 for grind settings and racing the rest of the tracks against others set ups.
as far as toe goes, its one of the most usefull tools in your arsenal. To not use it at all would mean to me that the car for some odd reason pretty much didnt need too much tuning to begin with. I can't think of many off hand that are like that.
Good luck man ^^

Back