Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero

United States
Indiana
ViperManiac
I must first say that this game just ****ing rules. I am wondering if anybody had any tips that they can give me to ruling a$$. Plus does anybody know what or know of a site that tells what those japanese marks mean that you put on your license plate? I am wanting to know cuz I want to know what the hell is going on my plate. Thanks. :D

Originally posted by viper_maniac
I must first say that this game just ****ing rules. I am wondering if anybody had any tips that they can give me to ruling a$$. Plus does anybody know what or know of a site that tells what those japanese marks mean that you put on your license plate? I am wanting to know cuz I want to know what the hell is going on my plate. Thanks. :D

So this game is okay? I heard it is compatible with the Logitech wheel - is this true?

Personally I thought it was total crap ... maybe I wasn't getting into it with the right attituide. It has the visual quality of GT2, but it feels like you're driving a Vitz the whole time.

~LoudMusic

Well different opinions never hurt anyone. I've never played the game myself but most peoples opinions of it lean towards crap I'm afraid. :(

I bought it when it came out, which was a month before GT3, and I loved it. The graphics are a lot better than GT2, I don't know where that comment came from. There are more cars than GT3, and more things you can do to them. But the only reason I bought it was to hold me over till GT3 came out, and when it did, stopped playing Tokyo Extreme Racer.

Well viper_maniac, it seems that we are the only ones here that like this game. It's been one of my favorite series on console so far. My only actual complaint is in the music, I'd like something a little more heavy metal oriented when challenging opponents...
This game also has a ton of depth too, and if you want to get all of the races completed (all the wanderers and such) your going to need to put in some serious time. :)

Alas vat_man, I was unable to find my copy to see if you could play with the logitech wheel. (I didn't have the wheel when I played the game) If I do end up finding it, I'll let you know though :thumbsup:

I liked it too, guys. Got all 400 races won! Had to use a guide to find lots of the Wanderers though. It's not for everyone, kinda slow-paced toward the end and the physics are highly suspect. But I've seen a freeway map of Tokyo, and those roads are real! Cool...

I guess nobody can help me. Oh well. :(

Oh Geez *thumps skull* I forgot, and that's why I was going to reply in the first place!:blush: Those markings signify (I believe) a general area of Japan where the car is from. Or to put it another way, have you ever seen a Florida License plate? On them, you'll see things like Dade, Orange, Miami, etc etc... It's the same deal. :)
Certain markings will draw out certain drivers to challenge you. They give hints in the Car list, but I'd just wander on over to www.gamefaqs.com. They made it amazingly difficult to figure out. :eek:

It seems that a lot of people here at GTP rate this game so I think I may have to check it out.

Just a few questions though:

Is there a lot of cars to choose from?
Are the cars "real", cheap rip offs or "made up"?
Is there a lot of courses?

There are a TON of cars, 165 overall. All of the Cars are real, but there is no licensing so they don't use the names. This may sound bad, but from what I understand about the game, several major manufacturers refused to license a game that was designed to emulate Tokyo Street racing. So, rather than include only those consenting, they decided to just use all the cars, and give them code names (like R34RVM.) All of the Cars are perfectly modeled though, except a few of the boss' cars which have some nice custom effects. ;) (BTW, you add on parts through the game as you win races, and earn money. All of the Exteranl Upgrades can make your car look significantly better! :))
As for the courses... Well... there's only one actually. It's the highway system of Tokyo, and it will probably take you over an hour to drive every inch of it. (Actually, probably more than that...)

Hmmm...

I'm interested it definetily sounds a lot better to what I first heard. I'm intrigued by the fact you can modify your car externally. I'm definetely gonna check this out, i think I'll rent it tomorrow.

So the cars on the game, are they all Japanese based (Skyline, Supra etc.)?

Thanks you guys for making me aware of another good game!!!

Originally posted by Brian P
Hmmm...

I'm interested it definetily sounds a lot better to what I first heard. I'm intrigued by the fact you can modify your car externally. I'm definetely gonna check this out, i think I'll rent it tomorrow.

So the cars on the game, are they all Japanese based (Skyline, Supra etc.)?

Thanks you guys for making me aware of another good game!!!

Mostly Japanese, but it does offer an BMW M3, Porsches, and Dodge Vipers. I think It has a Peugot or 2 as well....

This is one of my favorite games, I don't know why everyone thinks it is crap, especially at a GT site. Good (not great, but good) graphics, and custimization to the max. I love how you can just make a killer looking car at the end, and it still delivers top-notch engine upgrading. Heh, I started out with a Civic hatch back, it was sweet while it lasted. *Note* The cheap supra sucks, save up your money.

I agree that this game is NOT crap. It is different in that it doesn't do what GT does. But it's fun, and you can really customize the crap out of your cars. when you get some cool stuff on your car and get some horsepower built up the game gets pretty addictive.:thumbsup:

I didn't care for it when I first got it, of course I also didn't think of it as crap, but I played through some of the early racers and when I got some money it began to get fun.
Wait a minute... that 's what I play games for anyway. :rolleyes:

I think we sometimes forget to have fun with a game...

I even do this. Start with: graphics suck, it's not as good as ___, it should've, they could've, and so on.
Just have fun with it. It's a game. :D

I love the game, I have over 200 wins, 2 cars :( Lancer fully maxed and Dodge Viper fully maxed :):D Here was my record through 102 races before the bottom part of Kaniyo was opened 100 wins, 1 lose, 1 draw, my 1 lost at that point was the True Slide and my draw was to a stupid Civic who went the wrong way at a split, Yaesu and Inner :)

vat man, others: the game is indeed compatible with the logitech wheel, but you have to plug it into the lower USB port (when the PS2 is horizontal). This is an odd thing as there's no info of this on the box, in the manual or inside the game itself. There are no menus for calibration or settings, so you'll just have to have your wheel reasonably centered when you plug it in/ start your PS2.

Me, I only found this out after beating nearly the whole game- only three wanderers and the last boss to go! Oh well.

Me, I got it cheap here. I don't think it did too well sales-wise in these parts.

My wife loves the kitting-out part of the game, and can sit for hours just trying to find the right shade of colour for a car... Rice and shine!
That's okay, as I am a very rich man after beating White Charisma (and not just "Usually Rich Man" like in the beginning ;) ) (I'm "Legend of Devil" now. I think. It's been a few weeks since I played)

Do any of you know if there is a way to use the cars that I unlock in Quest mode in other modes like VS, free run, or any of the other ones? I got a few cars that I want to try out but I cant use them in any other mode but Quest and I don't have the money to buy these cars. I dont want to have to buy all the cars that I want to use in other modes.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for, but by unlocking cars you only unlock the car as available to buy, i.e. they are not prize cars as such. You have to buy a car to drive it, I think.

Oh, and your avatar... is that you on the loo? :eek: (sorry...)

I HATE HATE HATE this game.

Way too hard to earn money, and the computer cheats!

* you touch a wall, and speed drops by 50%, he touches the wall and keeps right on going (aka Velcro Walls)

* Cars appear RIGHT in front of you way too often :mad:

*Why is a 200hp Civic beating my 800hp Supra? :rolleyes:

Nothing but eye candy....I ended up bringing it back 7 days after buying it (from EB, thank goodness)

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by Macka
I HATE HATE HATE this game.

Way too hard to earn money, and the computer cheats!

* you touch a wall, and speed drops by 50%, he touches the wall and keeps right on going (aka Velcro Walls)

* Cars appear RIGHT in front of you way too often :mad:

*Why is a 200hp Civic beating my 800hp Supra? :rolleyes:

Nothing but eye candy....I ended up bringing it back 7 days after buying it (from EB, thank goodness)

Just my $0.02

It aint that hard. So far I've beaten about 80-90 people so far with the same car. I only have one car so far since I started the game. It has 316HP. It does a real nice job. So far the highest HP car I've beaten was 588HP. Not all the time does the computer keep going when he hits the wall. I love this game. I'm definitely going to buy this.

It aint that hard. So far I've beaten about 80-90 people so far with the same car. I only have one car so far since I started the game. It has 316HP. It does a real nice job. So far the highest HP car I've beaten was 588HP. Not all the time does the computer keep going when he hits the wall. I love this game. I'm definitely going to buy this.

It will get really frustrating as you progress...but hey, to each his own. One man's trash is another man's treasure :D

Seriously, once you have a 900hp Skyline, prepare to be whipped by any number of cars with 1/2 that power...yuck.

Back