• 73 comments

Tom

Voice of Gran Turismo
Premium
United Kingdom
Kent
tombrookscomms
Hello!

So recently I decided that I wanted to invest some money, and instead of it sitting gathering 0.5% from Mr. Barclays, buying a classic car and restoring it seemed like a fun way to do it.

With that in mind, my Dad tipped me off about an E-Type he’d seen for sale. Cutting a long story short, I went to view it on Wednesday and bought it today.

It’s a 1970 Series 3 2+2 coupe, with the V12 engine. It’s also US import, so is LHD but is very structurally sound - something a lot of UK ones tend not to be.

So the plan? Well, a Right-Hand Drive conversion is very appealing. Plus, it needs a full respray and interior re-trim - just a few minor things to get on with then!

My Dad will be doing the most of the mechanical work as I don’t know my arse from my elbow in a garage, whilst I’ll mainly be on parts supplying duty. I was thinking about potentially making a vlog series about it - would there be an appetite for that? It’s something I’d be interested in taking on.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here it is:

EED96799-43EB-4E98-9376-9BC928673521.jpeg

6CE4EA75-E292-4639-96F6-1D6FC740A2E6.jpeg

VLOG EPISODES
I BOUGHT A JAGUAR E-TYPE! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG? - Jaguar E-Type Restoration - Ep. #1

Last edited:
I work right next door to a business that buys, restores, and sells a ton of classic vehicles from all kinds of different regions, and they deal with these in spades. It's great eye candy, and one of my favorite cars.

Good luck on the endeavor! It looks like it's at a good starting point, from the outside at least. If you do it, I'd likely chime in and check out the VLOG from time to time.

Oh my word you actually did it :lol:

Reckon it's definitely worth a vlog series. Interesting seeing how it all comes together. Good call on getting a US car too, should avoid some of the more obvious problems of getting an unrestored UK car.

Thanks all.

Oh my word you actually did it :lol:

Reckon it's definitely worth a vlog series. Interesting seeing how it all comes together. Good call on getting a US car too, should avoid some of the more obvious problems of getting an unrestored UK car.

I managed to get a good amount off of the asking price, so it gives me a bit more headroom if something is very wrong. But it started the other day and the engine sounded relatively good (minus a blowing exhaust), so that gives me hope.

The fact it’s an import was a big plus point for me. Structurally it’s in great shape, everything aside from the drivers (nearside) footwell was mostly rust free.

I’ll make sure to get some better shots when it’s delivered.

Is a car like the E-type really a good investment? I need to spend my millions on something, you know.

I saw this and was thinking, "It couldn't possibly be. There must be something else called an E-type."

But, what do you know. :eek:
I had to read this three times before I got it. :P
But in my defence though, I tend to read fast and without paying much attention to what is written.

What colour have you decided on to paint the car?

Undecided as of yet. The original colour is of course silver, but I feel it's important to paint it a factory colour from its year of manufacture (1971), and these are the following options I'm intrigued by so far:

British Racing Green

BRG.jpg

Dark Blue

DB.jpg

Light Blue

LB.jpg

Old English White

OEW.jpg

Signal Red

SR.jpg

Thoughts?

Tom
Undecided as of yet. The original colour is of course silver, but I feel it's important to paint it a factory colour from its year of manufacture (1971), and these are the following options I'm intrigued by so far:

Old English White

View attachment 823421

Thoughts?
Light Blue Signal Red or Old English White. I think I would choose Old English White

If it's intended as an investment, I'd stick with the original color because don't the high-dollar bidders care about that kind of thing? Especially if the silver is uncommon for these, I wouldn't want to blend in with the crowd anyway.

I vote for a vlog, as well.

Last edited:
Ecurie Ecosse Blue.

Now that would be very, very nice. I'm a bit torn though as I still think it would probably be more sellable in a factory original colour that the S3 was sold in.

If this is an investment. Make it how it left the factory, including keeping it LHD. That will also give you a much bigger public to sell it to, and with how much they fetch nowadays, you will have no problem selling it.

If this is an investment. Make it how it left the factory, including keeping it LHD. That will also give you a much bigger public to sell it to, and with how much they fetch nowadays, you will have no problem selling it.
This. Any major alterations to the interior or body will tank a car's value, and being LHD it's going to stand out more as well. With cars like that, their history determines the value as much as the manufacturer or model year. In fact it might be worth researching the previous owner(s) as well, since a classic car that's been shipped across the pond must have some sort of interesting story behind it.

That is, of course, if "investment" was meant in the sense of planning to sell it on right after restoring it, and not in the sense of investing in your future happiness of owning a cool old sports car. That's a bit different. :lol:

This. Any major alterations to the interior or body will tank a car's value, and being LHD it's going to stand out more as well. With cars like that, their history determines the value as much as the manufacturer or model year. In fact it might be worth researching the previous owner(s) as well, since a classic car that's been shipped across the pond must have some sort of interesting story behind it.

I think Signal Red or Light Blue would look the best.
But if you wanted a custom paint scheme, would I suggest Austin Powers' Shaguar?
d399aafed43d22e6b183534cc6fc0ee5.jpg

That is, of course, if "investment" was meant in the sense of planning to sell it on right after restoring it, and not in the sense of investing in your future happiness of owning a cool old sports car. That's a bit different. :lol:

I’ll be doing some research into it when I have time.

You raise a very good point regarding the potential conversion and I understand why it would divide opinion. It is an investment in the financial sense, but as long as I don’t need to then I’ve got no plans to sell it immediately after I buy it - I’d like to get some enjoyment out of it first! Arguably one of the biggest markets for the E-Type is the UK, which is why I feel it being RHD would make more sense, though it will tick some people off.

I think Signal Red or Light Blue would look the best.
But if you wanted a custom paint scheme, would I suggest Austin Powers' Shaguar?
d399aafed43d22e6b183534cc6fc0ee5.jpg

Yeah baby!

Tom
You raise a very good point regarding the potential conversion and I understand why it would divide opinion. It is an investment in the financial sense, but as long as I don’t need to then I’ve got no plans to sell it immediately after I buy it - I’d like to get some enjoyment out of it first! Arguably one of the biggest markets for the E-Type is the UK, which is why I feel it being RHD would make more sense, though it will tick some people off.

Here's my view, from an investment point of view:
For classic cars in general, although US market cars may be rust free or sounder (depending of course on where in the States they are from) they tend to be somewhat less desirable because they are usually softer, differences in powertrain, more emissions equipment etc.

In this case a US spec 2+2 Series 3 will never fetch the same as an early UK Series 1 if in similar condition. What you have to remember is this: A good condition US spec later model car, in in original condition and color (but resprayed) can be shipped back to the States or sold in other LHD countries. A car converted to RHD and resprayed in another color will be less desirable in general because it's not original anymore. It will be modified and possibly butchered depending on who did the job.

Without knowing the E-Type market it's hard for me to be sure. But my gut feeling is that a LHD car shipped back to the US will fetch more down the line than a RHD conversion would in the UK. Throw different colors into the equation as well and that combination would be the absolutely least desirable for me if I was in the market.

I understand from a driving point of view having the steering wheel on the right side will make it more enjoyable for you and with a color change you will make the car yours. The flipside is less other people will want it, meaning less coin. So it's a matter of what's most important to you.

It seems that Old English White is an original factory colour.

Interior: Black, red, French blue, dark blue

Here's my view, from an investment point of view:
For classic cars in general, although US market cars may be rust free or sounder (depending of course on where in the States they are from) they tend to be somewhat less desirable because they are usually softer, differences in powertrain, more emissions equipment etc.

In this case a US spec 2+2 Series 3 will never fetch the same as an early UK Series 1 if in similar condition. What you have to remember is this: A good condition US spec later model car, in in original condition and color (but resprayed) can be shipped back to the States or sold in other LHD countries. A car converted to RHD and resprayed in another color will be less desirable in general because it's not original anymore. It will be modified and possibly butchered depending on who did the job.

Without knowing the E-Type market it's hard for me to be sure. But my gut feeling is that a LHD car shipped back to the US will fetch more down the line than a RHD conversion would in the UK. Throw different colors into the equation as well and that combination would be the absolutely least desirable for me if I was in the market.

I understand from a driving point of view having the steering wheel on the right side will make it more enjoyable for you and with a color change you will make the car yours. The flipside is less other people will want it, meaning less coin. So it's a matter of what's most important to you.

I understand completely. I'll need to have some discussions with my Father to consider all options, but it's good to know different opinions of what may work and may not. Perhaps keeping it US-spec and LHD will be the best option from an investment perspective. I'll still likely change the colour from silver to another original factory colour with interior to match.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would be worth more in the future if you didn't touch it at all, besides keeping it running and the maintenance up to date. I don't think "fully restored" carries the same premium as "unrestored original" anymore. People are into patina, barn finds, and things like that these days. Cars can only be original once.

All that being said, cars as investments are dumb, IMO, especially with the dubious future they have. Would this car even be legal to drive on 2050 UK roads? Probably, but if isn't, how much value could it even have? But who even knows. I'd say do what you want with it, enjoy it for what it is. And watch this video:

Back