TOMS X540 Chaser Drift Tune Thread

• Thread starter cyberfella
  • 39 comments
United Kingdom
Cromford, Derbyshire
cyberfella
There's no such thing as a perfect drift tune as it varies according to driving style and track - I know that, but man, this GT6 is proving a real beast to wrestle with when it comes to tuning even my favourite slider from GT5. So, I've started this thread for people to add their own comments/criticism/improvements for the X540 Chaser.

I've spent a frustrating four days with what was once my favourite drift car in GT5, but is proving a <beep> in GT6 to the point where I'm starting to wonder whether the game is flawed although I'm now beginning to appreciate the greater challenge of drifting more realistic suspension and rubber - the advice "never lift" has never been more poignant. The violent countersteer/steering response on lift off has been dreadful to tune out and seems to remain in part for now (unless I never lift).

This post/my settings will invariably change again over time (settings deemed the most important/influential are in bold), but the adjustments are getting smaller as I get closer to the "put it where you want it" perfection I'm striving for.

For drifting online, I have to feel like I'm 100% in control, sideways <100mph in 3rd/4th gear inches off your door. Nobody likes dented doors.

CYBERFELLAS X540 CHASER DRIFT TUNE:banghead:

WHEELS/TYRES: Comfort Hard

SUSPENSION
HEIGHT: 90/80
SPRING: 15/9.2
DAMPERS 6/6 6/6
ANTI-ROLL BARS: 5/3
CAMBER: 3.0/1.0
TOE: -0.03/0.3

BRAKE BALANCE: Standard brakes, 5/7

TRANSMISSION 168mph
GEAR1: 3.032
GEAR2: 1.869
GEAR3: 1.374
GEAR4: 1.134
GEAR5: 0.976
FINAL DRIVE: 3.727

DIFFERENTIAL
5/50/50
Triple plate clutch
Standard propeller shaft

POWER
523 BHP
Standard Turbo
Engine 100%, Stage 3
, Intake tuning, Sports Exhaust, Isometric manifolds, Sports cats.

BODY
Stage 3, 1320kg with 99KG Balast@50=52:49 weight balance.
No spoiler at all, carbon bonnet, lightened windows.

Last edited:
I've since discovered that the 2004 Blitz ER34 is very well behaved in the slide. If I can get the Chaser anything like as good as the ER34 with a 7/40/40 diff and comfort mediums, I'll be a very happy man.

Update: My latest adjustments mean I can now switch up to Comfort Hard Tyres and still have control! Nobody is more surprised than me.

Last edited:
Just looking at your setup your spring rates are way too stiff. Also I would not recommend using the power limiter, it does more harm then good. A little bit more camber in the front would give it some more grip.

I use 12f 8r springrate and 3* camber in front. I've always chose spring rates based on whatever Dmax, DG-5, or KW sells and its been good to me thus far since GT3. Have you ever tried running your rear sway at 1?

Just looking at your setup your spring rates are way too stiff. Also I would not recommend using the power limiter, it does more harm then good. A little bit more camber in the front would give it some more grip.

Real life drifters use spring up to 16kg at front and something like 12 or 14 on the back. I even have a friend with a jzx90 who run more than 20 up front.

Ps : it's "than" not "then".

[quote="Warren4649, post: 9106182, member: 14]Real life drifters use spring up to 16kg at front and something like 12 or 14 on the back. I even have a friend with a jzx90 who run more than 20 up front.

Ps : it's "than" not "then".[/quote]
The spring rates really depend on the track. I have personally never heard of a drifter running springs that high. Spring rates that stiff would not allow the car to have any roll at all. Springs that stiff are used in racing. If you go and look around, such as the d1 website some of the d1sl drivers have the exact spring rates they use on their drift cars. For example, you will find that most of the s chassis cars will run 8 kg in the front and 6 kg in the rear.
Edit: my phone was dumb and messed up the quote, I will fix it when I get home.

Some drifters do run really stiff springs. IIRC Andy Grey and Daigo Saito run 24kg and 8kg rears on there Mark II's.

super stiff springs doesnt seem too absurd. you could pretty much run no roll bars at that point, at the benefit of having a truly independent suspension.

I might add that the guy I know who runs 24kg front mostly run at ebisu and ebisu south in particular. The 24kg are here to compensate for the high speed jump entry. Makes even more sense when Andy Grey and Daigo Saito runs the same rates as they also run Ebisu South more than anything else.

I might add that the guy I know who runs 24kg front mostly run at ebisu and ebisu south in particular. The 24kg are here to compensate for the high speed jump entry. Makes even more sense when Andy Grey and Daigo Saito runs the same rates as they also run Ebisu South more than anything else.
Yeah, that was a huge misunderstanding. I was looking at specs for D1SL/Pro Am cars, I did not realize they ran such high spring rates in d1 or FD. Anyway I apologize for the misunderstanding. You learn something everyday right? :cheers:

Don't forget that's in their comp cars, though. Most of the time they probably run Ebisu in their missile cars.

Funny, I use 19/17 for spring rates. Anything softer than that and what the OP describes is similar to what I experience. The snap oversteer from lift off is unbearable that its almost uncontrollable. After upping the spring rate, it balances the car really well through a normal drift and allows enough understeer for controllable four wheel drifting. I just have to adjust the rear end a little more.

Yeah, that was a huge misunderstanding. I was looking at specs for D1SL/Pro Am cars, I did not realize they ran such high spring rates in d1 or FD. Anyway I apologize for the misunderstanding. You learn something everyday right? :cheers:

Eric, the Tune is fore Cm tyres ;)

Tires: Comfort Hard
Ride Height: 82/86
Spring Rate: 12.07/17.20
Dampers (Compression): 3/1
Dampers (Extension): 4/2
Anti-Roll: 2-1
Camber: 3.1/0.5
Toe: -0.11/-0.09

Full custom gearbox: Slide Max speed to 143mph

Differential: 7/30/15

Engine: Racing Exhaust and Mid-Range Turbo

Body: Fully stripped with carbon hood.

Here man try this. Idk why everybody's saying this car is difficult to drift. It's really not.

I personally run 14/10 coilovers in my real life street jzx100 chaser and I wouldn't go any softer, especially for drifting on a track.

Also I would not recommend using the power limiter, it does more harm then good.

Not necessarily true ol' sport. Ya see, on turbo cars you can use the power limiter to manipulate the powerband. I built a soarer that I wanted to be stock weight and have no more than 320hp. The stock turbo runs out of steam in the upper rev range, so I installed the stage 3 and dialed back the power. Cured the mid drift wheezing instantly, but Harry couldn't do anything about the nos not fogging like it should.

great_gatsby.jpg

I don't quite know what happened with my avatar. I'm really proficient with the camera (and a real one) and the original shot was lovely. I'll try to fix that. Cheers. ;o)

Hahaha no, not the photo, I was talking about the fact that you run CM and most comps use CH. I can't judge anyone on their picture taking skill because I have none.

Back