• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 41 comments

Spacegoat

Really?
Premium
Australia
Corneria City
Orbital_Goat
Due out on PS4, Xbox and PC on the 4th of September.

Have to admit that my experience with the Tony Hawk franchise outside of Underground is very limited. Trailer looks great though. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this.

The state of Activision is darkly amusing when the definite established B-Team, who spent an entire decade making kinda bleh but acceptable followups/conversions of things Neversoft hit out of the park (all the way back to Spiderman 2) was the one that survived the great CoD purging of 2000s developers to revive the Tony Hawk series.

Seems like this is shaping up to be the era of remakes and re-releases, and this one is a remake of a remake!

I do like the idea of these 2 legendary titles being redone and redone properly this time. Vicarious Visions is an excellent choice of developer, they did an unbelievable job making the Gameboy Advance versions of Tony Hawk back in the day. Frankly anything is better than what this franchise had to suffer over the past decade.

Seems like this is shaping up to be the era of remakes and re-releases, and this one is a remake of a remake!

Due to current events, this could become even more prevalent next year. In short, games scheduled for release next year and beyond will have crucial elements of production "nearly impossible" to complete with social distancing measures. For instance, mocap sessions and audio work have to be halted completely. Games coming out later this year are less affected since they only need finishing touches.

Phil Spencer did mention the games industry will react, which could be by re-releasing titles which have a lesser need for major production work.

The first remake was unbelievably half-assed though. This one seems like it's actually got some thought put into it and most of the original soundtrack is there, including Goldfinger, which means we should get Superman.

Robomodo did not do the franchise justice whatsoever and practically buried it with THPS5.

Come to think of it this is actually a remake, of a remake, of a re-release :lol:

xbox_tonyhawksproskater2x.jpg

Safe to say from nostalgia alone I'll probably buy this for both PS4 and PC. My wallet is going to hate me soon.

This one seems like it's actually got some thought put into it and most of the original soundtrack is there, including Goldfinger, which means we should get Superman.
Man, that song still to this day comes up on my music shuffle and brings me back to these games. Definitely looking forward to the remake-remake-re-release.

It looks incredible, especially as a lot of us are so ingrained with that level on the PS1.

Looks like they’ve done a great job. These games were ridiculously fun backin the day. These will sell well i reckon, cant wait to play it again.

Indeed, the demo feels and plays wonderfully. I do have a bit of misgiving over using the original Warehouse as a vertical slice for gameplay - it's always been so constrained and way too simple on anything that wasn't the original game - but this is definitely a very good start. I know a lot of people (Rad Rat among them) were absolutely in hysterics over the way that the game looked in terms of physics, but I think it was probably Vicarious Visions using some form of THPS HD/THPS5 codebase in the first showings of gameplay due to COVID, and from what I've played, there is no traces of those physics in the game.

It's also nice to see that the game ruins well on a base PS4. Targeting a locked 60 FPS seems to have played out wonderfully, I haven't seen a single drop in terms of performance in the 30 or so minutes that I've played of it.

It's...interesting watching the intro cinematic again and seeing some of the dichotomy between the young(er) skaters that are still semi-active (Koston, Glifberg and Reynolds / Steamer especially) getting HD clips, and some of the others that have been less active (Rodney, Muska, Kareem especially) getting older clips used.

I have no doubt that this game will sell well, and will have good legs after launch. I also wouldn't be surprised if they try to leverage an expansion of THPS3 levels and add in Bam, even though by this point, he's a sweaty meatball of a man that spends more time eating Wawa chicken caesar wraps and causing mud then anything.

I'm also pleasantly surprised, and a tad relieved, that even though the game is seemingly a full fledged remake, right down the bones, it's being priced, at least in Canada, for the reasonable price of 60 bucks for the base game, and 70 for the digital deluxe edition. Considering how most base new games in Canada cost 80 bucks (and regularly balloon to 90 or 100 with taxes included) and considering the likely potential in games next generation being 90 bucks to start with, it's really nice to see that I'm not getting ruined in terms of new game purchases.

Last edited:
Very much looking forward to this. How's the soundtrack? I've got both games ST as a playlist on Spotify and the nostalgia factor is high.

It's out today, anyone picking it up? So far it seems the reviews are mostly positive, even scoring high 80s on Metacritic (88 as of right now)

Most likely I will buy it over the weekend, the nostalgia is strong with this one.

It's out today, anyone picking it up? So far it seems the reviews are mostly positive, even scoring high 80s on Metacritic (88 as of right now)

Most likely I will buy it over the weekend, the nostalgia is strong with this one.

KwOT8G9.png

Already downloaded, didn't play much owing to me needing to get to bed like any time now. As usual, a tasteful custom skater. (WIP)

Got it pre-ordered on Amazon. Hopefully will see it sometime next week. Keen to dive in. From what I've seen it looks very good.

UPS delayed my copy, so it won't arrive until the 8th. Kind of sucks, since I usually have good experiences with Best Buy and getting games to me on release date. But I guess with COVID and all, it won't happen this time.

Played for a short time last night and was definitely impressed. TONS of customization options for sure, I got caught up in that and barely skated!

Since I had an Epic coupon for some reason I bought it and man is it good. I can't believe after all these years I still remember where everything was in the warehouse.

I haven't got around to looking at stuff in the Skater Store yet but I really hope there's urban camo pants so I can recreate my skater from back in the day. Black Element hoodie with urban camo pants. It's like being in high school all over again.

I don't think it can be stated how good of a remake this is. In fact, I'd probably put it as one of the best remakes gaming has seen alongside the first two Resident Evil remakes. The amount of love, and reverence for the originals that Vicarious has put into this game is nothing short of immense, and it is a joy to play through and experience it in a new light, but also have it be accessible enough for those that missed out the first time.

I only have one complaint, and I'd say it is a major one - tour progress is locked to your profile, and not the individual skaters. As such, after I had 100% both tours yesterday, and wanted to start up the challenges with another skater, I found that...my progress tracked. Certainly unlike the past games where progress in the career was restricted to that certain skater, and you could freely bounce between different points. It kind of cuts down on game length especially for someone like me who knows the games like the back of their hand, and found themselves technically beating the game by completing both tours, 100%. The challenges are plentiful and add some length, but still, it feels like a really weird oversight and I really hope that Vicarious at least patches this to allow for separate tour progress for each skater (though I have a feeling they won't)

The online is fun too, though I must admit, I think I'm better then I give myself credit for, considering I've played the series for most of my life and still thought I wasn't good enough, yet I've won 19 straight Jam games and it wasn't even really that close in 99% of circumstances. :lol:

My only complaint so far is that it's obvious they're going to turn the "shop" into a microtransaction hell eventually... the amount of money you receive from doing challenges vs the amount for a new board or clothes feels very grindy.

Other than that, it feels exactly like the old games did, and it's still a ton of frustrating fun. :lol:

Had this downloading this evening. Looking forward to the wave of nostalgia. Went with digital deluxe, don't know if it was entirely worth it, but hey ho.

Back