Too Much Weather

• Thread starter CeeMore
  • 46 comments
Couldnt you have post on the post that is like 3 posts below in the same vain ?

You really had to do your complaining thread about the same subject ? Man people are never happy, no weather, people are saying I want rain, they put just rain, people are saying I want transition, they put transition and now people complain about weather. Seriously...
Not sure if this was directed to me or the OP...

This was an older thread that I bumped up by asking a question... you can alway skip over threads if you don't have something useful to add.

Not so sure about this tbh, green and yellow rain are much stronger. I haven't managed to trigger purple rain (:lol:) yet tho
I've not seen a speck of purple either. R08 usually has light blue with a dark blue band in the middle, often straight lines. When it's patterns instead of straight lines patches of green and yellow show up. There's 2 shades of dark blue, regular pattern only does the lighter dark blue for torrential rain
1650468888060.png
It seems random whether it chooses the straight lines or broken clouds. R08 generates both, the overcast ones are probably more prone to generate straight lines.

@Roggers Cloudless rain is just overcast, sky is all grey. Looks boring but I guess you get a solid blue patch instead of broken up patches that can miss the track. I've had occasions though where R06 didn't generate anything. The one on the bottom right is the first R06 I used in my 12H race, the second time it produced nothing at all. I had the rain alternating with dry for the 9 states starting with R04, S09, R06, S10, R08, S11, R07, S17, R06.

R04 had broken light blue patches with a couple patches of the second blue state.
R06 had the little blob and second time nothing.
R08 had the big band (3rd pic top row)
S11 had some rain with torrential bits (2nd pic bottom row)
R07 had a band with small darker blue band (2nd pic top row)
And the rest of the race it stayed dry.

You can 'program' the weather but it's still a crap shoot what you'll get during the race.

I've had the rain at the wrong time issues when it shows that broken clouds. Raining before a blob hits or not raining when a blob hits. Of course rain does drift in real life, it doesn't land right under the clouds, yet the scale here is in kilometers. (But with rain moving at supersonic speeds, quite possible :lol:)

Last edited:
I'm on PS5. Are you on PS4 by chance?
Yes I am, PS4 Pro. That had occurred to me as I was grumping a bit about the weather before bed, but then I counter-thought that the code was supposed to behave the same on both systems. Apparently not, as lighting is supposed to be better on PS5 too, and it's way overcooked on PS4. Oh well, it's about time I tried for a SONY invite to buy a 5 anyhow. I have the PS5 Anniversary version gathering dust.

F1 2021 is the worst for changing weather. As soon as it stops raining the track is bone dry. At least on this game you still have a wet track and a dry line forms.
That dry line will still form very quickly and regardless of whether any cars have driven there. I've had races on Le Mans where there would be a dry line from Arnage onwards after it stopped raining at the beginning of the lap, even though no one was there when it stopped raining.

Rain annoys the **** out of me too. I watch racing, I know how often races are ran in the rain. I dont mind rain happening frequently in places like Spa or RedBull because it rains there often but the frequency is off the charts in terms of realism. I think about 40% of my Menu races were wet.

I also have a theory about the current state of play. The frequency that we SEE rain right right is increased as the current Grinders are both wet races. Last patch the Grinders were Dirt races. I'm hoping that the next major patch changes this. You have to figure the PD doesnt want us bored by having the Grinders always be the same so something will change next week when the bigger patch comes out (that's a double assumption, ain't I the optomist).

The rain is really annoying in this game. There is no gentle transition between good grip and no grip. You can have traction in one turn then the next turn be in the wall trying the same lateral G loads.

That dry line will still form very quickly and regardless of whether any cars have driven there. I've had races on Le Mans where there would be a dry line from Arnage onwards after it stopped raining at the beginning of the lap, even though no one was there when it stopped raining.
Yep, the dry line already forms when it's still raining. Big wide path although the slanted kerbs stay full wet.

It's a very binary transition between the dry path and wet sections where you suddenly lose all traction and slide all the way into the wall. (The AI doesn't of course). The most dangerous time in the rain is when the track is 'drying'. Either you stay on IM or W and watch your tires quickly burn up (drive on the wet parts where possible) or switch back to RH/RM and make very sure not a wheel touches a wet spot. And of course the dry line excludes the pit exit, very dangerous part of the track!

Yes I am, PS4 Pro. That had occurred to me as I was grumping a bit about the weather before bed, but then I counter-thought that the code was supposed to behave the same on both systems. Apparently not, as lighting is supposed to be better on PS5 too, and it's way overcooked on PS4. Oh well, it's about time I tried for a SONY invite to buy a 5 anyhow. I have the PS5 Anniversary version gathering dust.
It took a while but I did get my SONY invite like 3 weeks before GT7 came out. Was lucky. My son registered to but no invite yet. Hopefully soon.

Last edited:
Yep, the dry line already forms when it's still raining. Big wide path although the slanted kerbs stay full wet.

It's a very binary transition between the dry path and wet sections where you suddenly lose all traction and slide all the way into the wall. (The AI doesn't of course). The most dangerous time in the rain is when the track is 'drying'. Either you stay on IM or W and watch your tires quickly burn up (drive on the wet parts where possible) or switch back to RH/RM and make very sure not a wheel touches a wet spot. And of course the dry line excludes the pit exit, very dangerous part of the track!
Not sure if either of you played F1 2021, but when it stops raining your pitting pretty much the next lap for dry tyres as the full track becomes fully dry. Even run offs and curbs are dry within a lap.

At least with GT7 they is still abit more decision making unlike F1. Like @Sven Jurgens mentioned. Do you stay out on inters or full wets until the dry line is wide enough to safely run dry tyres. Or do you risk drys but knowing that if you run wide your off the track?

As for Le Mans I did that 24hours in 24mins and as soon as night fell and I was about to start heading down the Mulsanne straight, the weather changed within 30 seconds and started to heavy rain. Had to crawl at 50mphs in a LMP1 car and by the time I was at the Porsche Curves the rain stopped and a dry line had already formed.

Sports tires are your friend, they're a better transition tire as they hold more grip than the IMs do in the dry (I get they're not really an option for Group car classes but still). Zoom your weather map out too to judge better when it's coming.

Having dynamic weather makes racing this AI way more interesting, so sorry you feel the need to be overdramatic about it I guess? 🤷‍♂️

This might be a dumb question but how do you zoom out on the map?

Just remembered they have the 15 laps @ Sardegna race that pays almost as well with zero chance of rain. I just rearended 3 AIs and still got CRB!

I was excited about weather in this game but I am a bit disappointed with the reality. When they were talking abut particle formations etc I got really excited... then SuperGT did his video with straight lines of cloud and I got suspicious.

The drying line is also a bit naff too as it just transitions overtime, regardless of the amount of cars using that part of the track.

Another bug bear is the tyres being incorrect in pit stops. The pit crew always hold the tyre you are on, not the tyre you have selected to put on. I panicked in one race as I saw them putting inters back on when I'd switched to drys but came out of the pits and they were in fact dry tyres

Last edited:
I was excited about weather in this game but I am a bit disappointed with the reality. When they were talking abut particle formations etc I got really excited... then SuperGT did his video with straight lines of cloud and I got suspicious.

The drying line is also a bit naff too as it just transitions overtime, regardless of the amount of cars using that part of the track.

Another bug bear is the tyres being incorrect in pit stops. The pit crew always hold the tyre you are on, not the tyre you have selected to put on. I panicked in one race as I saw them putting inters back on when I'd switched to drys but came out of the pits and they were in fact dry tyres
Yeah it's a bit underwhelming after playing FS2020. Where are the rainbows, where is the thunder and lightning. Where are the sheets of rain in the wind. I can see the rain drifting by out the window right now. Where is the damp / low hanging fog after rain falls on the hot asphalt. Why is there still no heat shimmer in GT7.

It's better than in GT Sport at least, puddles, aquaplaning and dry line (although fake with bad transitions) are a big step forward. Yet with all the emphasis in getting the stars etc right for each track, I would have expected to have some live weather integration at the least. It seems day light time is fixed to mid summer, does the moon change phases? It seems to always come up later during the night and so far hasn't changed that I noticed. I guess the date is fixed.

Back