Top gear development in FM4?

United States
San Francisco,
machate-man
dowby
I think that the lack of a Series 17 of Top Gear is due to all of the Great things that they're going to implement in FM4.

I just hope it's going to be better than GT5's slice of top gear, which only included the test track, and the stig's racing outfit(?)

The game hasn't affected the show at all, just fyi. The time between Series 16 & this new series is normal for the show. :)

The game hasn't affected the show at all, just fyi. The time between Series 16 & this new series is normal for the show. :)

I heard its coming back on the 12th, or the 26th. I'm going to check the DVR right now.

the top gear vid clip on fm4 website has the US numb nuts. id rather not have them in game at all...

I think that the lack of a Series 17 of Top Gear is due to all of the Great things that they're going to implement in FM4.

I just hope it's going to be better than GT5's slice of top gear, which only included the test track, and the stig's racing outfit(?)

As people have said, it's back this month!! :D

And so far, we've learnt that the TG implementation is going to be very tight with FM4

- Obviously the TG test track, with Kia "Cee, apostrophe 'D'", which will include leaderboards obviously
- We will have other track layouts are more free roam around the TG Track (Directly hinted by a T10 member of staff)
- Some of the top gear car related events (I'm sure I saw a hint at Car Soccer somewehre)
- Voice overs from Jeremy Clarkson in Autovista mode

And not everything has been revealed yet.

By Autovista mode do you mean Pay-an-extra-£85-mode?

No, I mean the 'free to everyone who can press buttons on the controller' autovista mode ;)

You don't need kinect to move around the cars/open the doors and activate the voice overs..

:D

I thought it was a Kinect exclusive. Thank god. That would've been outrageous if so.

the top gear vid clip on fm4 website has the US numb nuts. id rather not have them in game at all...

Ewww....:lol:
top-gear-us-cast-photo.jpg

A Redneck,
A Yankee,
And a Drifter.
And a Stig

Last edited:
I didn't even know there was a US Top Gear. I thought the appeal of the show was the qualifications of the hosts and their personalities. It's also quite helpful that they're in Europe so they have access to more cars in their daily lives and are allowed to frequently use the word "cock."

Bogie 19th
That is how Top Gear UK started too. In fact, it was going to get pulled from the air because of the lack of Chemistry. A couple seasons later they finally clicked.

That's what I'm saying. The uk version took a few seasons to figure their show out, while the us guys are just trying to copy the uk guys and they don't have the chops or the chemistry.

Top Gear UK's 1st season wasn't that good at all. I think it was FAR worse than the TG USA 1st season. I like Rutlidge but the other guys... eh I dunno. They are OK. The show's not that bad. I think everyone expects it to be TGUK level. For you TG fans, have you ever seen the Aussie show? I think the US show is better than that, but you can blame that on the obvious bias :P

Actually the original series was about cars and very informative.

A lot of people complain about their comic approach now.

Im not too bothered either way.

The UK has fifth gear too. I quite like that TBH. At least the presenters can actually race lol.

That is how Top Gear UK started too. In fact, it was going to get pulled from the air because of the lack of Chemistry. A couple seasons later they finally clicked.
That's also in part because the trio was focused on reviewing cars the average consumer could actually afford. Once it got more into the supercars & challenges, the BBC knew where they needed to go with the show.

The US is following the same path, but imo, a little too closely at first. The final episodes were really good, though. 👍

Actually the original series was about cars and very informative.

A lot of people complain about their comic approach now.

Im not too bothered either way.

The UK has fifth gear too. I quite like that TBH. At least the presenters can actually race lol.

Yeah i actually preferred it when it was car reviews instead of stunts, Wish they would do a spin off show where TG goes back to it's roots.

Top Gear UK's 1st season wasn't that good at all. I think it was FAR worse than the TG USA 1st season. I like Rutlidge but the other guys... eh I dunno. They are OK. The show's not that bad. I think everyone expects it to be TGUK level. For you TG fans, have you ever seen the Aussie show? I think the US show is better than that, but you can blame that on the obvious bias :P

I agree that the Top Gear aus isn't that great (and I am an Aussie) mainly because they tried too hard and had some very stupid segments trying to emulate letterman in season 1 then they used a has been sports star to do some powertests in season 2 neither of which were entertaining, funny or interesting.

I don't even think they have a 3rd season coming.

I actually prefer the US numbnuts over the British blokes.

Many Americans (well, many of them who would be interested in this sort of program) feel that way. It goes back to our xenophobia; our dislike of everything non-American and preference for American things. If the US program was suddenly recast with Brits, the folks that like the US Top Gear would be turned off. If the British original was recast with American presenters, it would still be disliked by the same folks that already dislike it, because it's still coming from overseas.

The US is following the same path, but imo, a little too closely at first.

I've often stated that the show would probably be better if it wasn't branded as "Top Gear" at all and wasn't trying to replicate the format of the original down to basically every tiny detail. If I want to watch something exactly like the original, I'd just watch the original (and I do). I personally feel that they should have done their own thing rather than trying to duplicate another program.

IceMan PJN
Many Americans (well, many of them who would be interested in this sort of program) feel that way. It goes back to our xenophobia; our dislike of everything non-American and preference for American things. If the US program was suddenly recast with Brits, the folks that like the US Top Gear would be turned off. If the British original was recast with American presenters, it would still be disliked by the same folks that already dislike it, because it's still coming from overseas.

I've often stated that the show would probably be better if it wasn't branded as "Top Gear" at all and wasn't trying to replicate the format of the original down to basically every tiny detail. If I want to watch something exactly like the original, I'd just watch the original (and I do). I personally feel that they should have done their own thing rather than trying to duplicate another program.

Well stated all around. To prove this point even further I know people who didn't even know the US version wasn't the original and someone actually said to me that he didn't like the UK version because clarkson's voice sounded "too fancy and expensive for him" which reminded him of robin leach and annoyed him. This had me boiling because of his ignorance.

Back on track for the thread, I would rather have jezza, hamster and slow on this game than NASCAR guy, comedian, and tanner foust ( doesn't his name sound fancy too, haha)

That's what I'm saying. The uk version took a few seasons to figure their show out, while the us guys are just trying to copy the uk guys and they don't have the chops or the chemistry.

Yeah, the UK didn't have chemistry at first, but they did in time. I noticed the US version didn't have chemistry at first but it has grown over the first season.

The US is following the same path, but imo, a little too closely at first. The final episodes were really good, though. 👍

What I find myself doing though, and not just the US one, but the UK one as well, is nitpick all the impossibilities that happen in the show, ruining it for myself.

I think most countries prefer their own goods, services and entertainment. It's not an American xenophobia, but life.

That said, that stereotype doesn't work with me. I for one prefer the UK version (original) of "The Office" over the US version of "The Office". I can name many consumer goods that I prefer foreign vs. domestic.

It would be on a case by case basis.

I am an American and I much prefer the UK version. Outside of Tanner Foust, no one on the American Top Gear is really entertaining.

The chemistry is getting better, but for the most part their jokes and how they act is just too scripted. Maybe its just the inexperience? The UK program is much smoother, they're much better at their craft and show general enthusiasm and excitement that just feels programmed on the US version.

I do have to say though, the final episode (before the best of) for the first season of the US version was not bad. Taking the 3 pickup trucks through alaska.

I watch them both, but strongly prefer the UK version.

One would hope the UK version would be much smoother after all these years. It started out rocky.

I loved the Alaska one. Though they didn't film the landscape that well, even though the focus was the trucks. I watched a couple episodes of Sarah Palin's Alaska (not cuz I like her...though I would tap it), but I wanted to see Alaska in HD, and it was filmed so amazing. Had they filmed that last US Top Gear episode using the same camera guys, that would have been a so choice episode.

I think it is going to be with the British TG team. in the stage demo when Dan was going over the Enzo it had Jeremy Clarkson's voice doing the description. I personally think the US version of TG is bad...speaking as an American viewer

Def like the UK version better than the US. The episode last night was kinda eh nothing special. That wannabe Jag was just crazy over the top expensive.

Bogie as much as i hate Palin, ya i'd probably hit that too. I bet she likes it rough, don't cha know.

Top Gear USA just needs more time for them to get chemistry, and they need to be more original, though the last few episodes were solid.

Perhaps more jokes on the Brits can help, and it's only fair Clarkson receives some friendly fire back.:)

Back