Top Gear Test Track shortcuts aren't?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyger
  • 31 comments
  • 6,184 views
Messages
4,040
United Kingdom
UK
Messages
ReTyger
So now i'm going into a kind of testing phase in GT5 alongside enjoying the seasonal events and still grinding for those very expensive premiums, I am hoping to test various cars at Trial Mountain (mainly cause it's a long time favourite and probably one of the only tracks I think I genuinely "know", at least 95% fully)

However I would also like to practice the TGTT and do some tests from a standing start like the show so I was wondering, we all know there are corners you can cut in the special events, even more so in a practice lap (no ebil red cones!) but in the special events this is coupled with a little bumping and blocking, for position.

Can anyone who has driven the track a lot actually confirm whether the best times come from sticking pretty much to the suggested line? Some skimming of cones here and there is OK of course but I am wondering, with no opponents, if the shortcuts actually make for a slower lap? Obviously I am hoping that is the case....
 
If you get your line right, it can make you up to about two seconds. But only if your line is right.
 
The Stig doesn't cut corners. I don't cut corners.
 
Yeah but where to draw the line? I wonder that with the show too...i'm kinda hoping that the marked out track represents the fastest line
 
What do you mean by shortcuts? Are you talking about just cutting corners, or simply skipping Chicago-Hammerhead-Followthrough section and head towards the last 2 corners? If you are asking about the latter, GT5 have time split sections set up, and you have to pass through the time splits to "progress" to the next time split. Skipping a whole section will skip time splits and so it won't count as having "completed" the lap.
 
Just cutting corners, you can deviate quite a lot from the marked route in the special events, I am hoping it's not an advantage on your own though.
 
The Racing Line depicted obviously runs far too tight.
For example, on the Follow-through, the line runs almost next to the cones, while the fastest line involves running wide to the far left, and lifting off the throttle. The line also says to brake beforehand. Also; on Bentley, Running to the white line on the far right lets you get much more speed through the corner.
 
The Stig doesn't do the TGTT anymore. Should have kept on his helmet.

Yes he does, it's just a new one. But for marketing reasons the new stig looks the same as the old one.
 
Yes he does, it's just a new one. But for marketing reasons the new stig looks the same as the old one.

I have a feeling the "new" Stig is still Ben Collins. They didn't bother reset the lap board like they did when the black Stig was killed off.
 
I have a feeling the "new" Stig is still Ben Collins. They didn't bother reset the lap board like they did when the black Stig was killed off.

Absolutely 100% isn't. Ben Collins is returning to professional motor racing and won't have anything to do with Top Gear ever again whilst Andy Wilman and Clarkson run the show!
 
Absolutely 100% isn't. Ben Collins is returning to professional motor racing and won't have anything to do with Top Gear ever again whilst Andy Wilman and Clarkson run the show!

they mentioned new stig is pretty close in the same cars to what ben collins was doing!
 
I have a feeling the "new" Stig is still Ben Collins. They didn't bother reset the lap board like they did when the black Stig was killed off.

It 100% isn't Ben anymore, TG hate him after what he did. The only reason they didn't reset the board is the same reason they didn't change his colour again. They're too far into it, and have too much merchandise of him with white overalls.

I'm pretty sure they've just picked a totally unknown racing driver.
 
Can anyone who has driven the track a lot actually confirm whether the best times come from sticking pretty much to the suggested line? Some skimming of cones here and there is OK of course but I am wondering, with no opponents, if the shortcuts actually make for a slower lap? Obviously I am hoping that is the case....

I haven't driven the track a whole lot, but from my time there, I think your time gets invalidated if you cut too much off the inside of the hammerhead and if you use too much of the painted bit on the inside of the follow through.
 
The racing line isn't perfect, so there is definitely time to be made her and there.
 
Revealed himself in a book, just like the first one Perry McCarthy.

I think it is ok. For me, this Stig-thing is just stupid and there is no difference, if I can see the face of the driver or not.

And in his white overall and helmet, he looks like an alien.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The track layout in GT5 is nowhere near the one used on Top Gear, Chicago to Hammerhead is totaly different, you loose alot of time here. Bacharach and Gambon also have half a metre of concrete flat "kerb".


Red = Top Gear Line Green = GT5 Line


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The above combined with no standing starts makes the inclusion of this classic TT course pretty pointless.
 
Last edited:
Indeed it is very much unrealistic.
I mostly hate the unmoveable tyres, signs and invisible walls.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/track/

track-plan-001.jpg
 
Perhaps it's just me but in the show, there are only certain cars in which the follow-through has to be taken with a certain amount of trepidation where the Stig actually lifts. Now, I've raced the track and had untold practices and even with smaller 'everyday' cars, I find myself having to lift where the follow-through corner intersects with Willson.
Perhaps I'm just crap but does anyone else seem to have this problem, or am I just 'special'?
 
One thing I have noticed when TopGear show power laps on the show is that most are pieced together from edited clips.
Sadly we can't compare many cars to the real one.

 
The track layout in GT5 is nowhere near the one used on Top Gear, Chicago to Hammerhead is totaly different, you loose alot of time here. Bacharach and Gambon also have half a metre of concrete flat "kerb"..

Dude, you want to tell us that GT5 is nowhere near realistic because of one turn? Are you serious?

Why some people always complain to get things 100% correct? Be happy you have a Top Gear track anyway.
 
Dude, you want to tell us that GT5 is nowhere near realistic because of one turn? Are you serious?

Why some people always complain to get things 100% correct? Be happy you have a Top Gear track anyway.

Can you please show me where I said GT5 is not realistic?

I, like many, was excited to hear that the Top Gear Test Track was included in GT5, meaning that we could try and beat the Stig's hot laps in our favourite supercars. This is not possible, because of the differences I mentioned in my previous post.
 
I meant the track and it was the person under your post (even when both of you meant the same)
 
GT5 isn't realistic because of many things.
Picking on the TopGear track is one of the simple areas to discuss.
 
I think it is ok. For me, this Stig-thing is just stupid and there is no difference, if I can see the face of the driver or not.

And in his white overall and helmet, he looks like an alien.

And I like the way they have set up the Stig 'character' on Top Gear, the show is set up to be a laugh, and the Stig is a bit of fun. Most like it, some don't. C'est la vie. :rolleyes: ;) :lol:


I think the whole Top Gear tie in has been a wasted opportunity to try and integrate the game with real life. They could have had competitions to try and beet the Top Gear times with the in game car times.

Add it to the (long) list of stuff they messed up in GT5. :confused: :(
 
Ben actually signed on with Fifth Gear and will be doing some stuff with them. As well as trying to get back into higher level pro races. I just finished his book, def worth a read for any TG fan.
 
Back