Top Speed Tests of GT Sport Race Cars

• Thread starter GT5Power
  • 21 comments
Greece
Athens
VQS_Ntinoskonsta
This is a resource thread, intended to help people choose a car for tracks where straight line performance plays a significant role. It applies to all sport mode races, but I think it is especially important in FIA Manufacturers, because one has to look at the types of tracks that will come up during the season and make a binding manufacturer choice.

June 27, 2019 - July 4, 2019 (top speed only):
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-07-03, 09.36.11.png

As of July 4th, 2019, the Gr.3 and Gr.4 test results are as follows:

All tests were conducted in time trial mode on Route X, using Racing Medium tires. The BoP values were taken from the BoP tables here (pre-July 4th) and directly from sport mode (post-July 4th) and applied to every car manually. BoP was disabled for the time trials so that the special oval BoP didn't override my settings.

Some notes on Gr.3:
  • The Top Speed stat can be pretty misleading. For example, the McLaren 650S, which has a top speed stat of 6.5/10, ended up joint 5th fastest, tying or beating out almost every single car with speed stats of 6.6 to 6.8 (outdated).
  • Top speed itself isn't always indicative of a car's straight line strength. For example, the Mustang, which is generally regarded as a "straight line car", ended up in the lower half of the rankings. It's still good on straights because it can reach its top speed quickly. Meanwhile, cars like the 650S, R8 and 4C, which surprised me with their top speeds, are slow to reach those speeds so they're considered "handling cars" rather than "straight line cars".
  • RIP Renault, Subaru and Mitsubishi.
Thoughts on Gr.4:
  • The in-game stats are all over the place here... I mean, 6.6 in acceleration for the WRX while the Megane gets 3.8? :lol:
  • This is the definition of the phrase "top speed doesn't tell the whole story". In fact, it tells a totally different story to what the acceleration test does. The RCZ, considered to be one of the best Gr.4 cars in a straight line, tops out at 260 km/h, while the Cayman, which is meh at best, can do 284.
  • Quite a few cars were rev limited. There may be more than the ones I noticed, but the obvious ones have their top speed highlighted in red.
  • Baguette power :cool: Well, except the Megane Trophy. :P

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο 2019-07-05, 12.38.24.png
    Στιγμιότυπο 2019-07-05, 12.38.24.png
    63 KB · Views: 327
  • Στιγμιότυπο 2019-07-05, 13.34.58.png
    Στιγμιότυπο 2019-07-05, 13.34.58.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Top speed itself isn't always indicative of a car's straight line strength. For example, the Mustang, which is generally regarded as a "straight line car", ended up in the lower half of the rankings. It's still good on straights because it can reach its top speed quickly. Meanwhile, cars like the 650S, R8 and 4C, which surprised me with their top speeds, are slow to reach those speeds so they're considered "handling cars" rather than "straight line cars".
You are very right about this one and that's the problem with the usability of your data. However, GT Sport's value of the cars seems to be more helpful. Pretty much all cars at 6.7 and above were kinda useful in the Le Mans daily race some weeks ago.

In manufacturers, I'm on the Z4 atm and was murdered on the straights in Le Mans. In the daily race, I mostly used the Mustang. In your table, the Z4 tops the Mustang, but in Le Mans, the speed difference before braking for the first chicane on the Hunardière straight (or Mulsanne straight, as it is known as in English speaking countries for reasons that I don't know), is almost 10kph in favor of the Mustang.
Now GTS gives the Mustang 6.7 and the Z4 6.4 which reflects performance on the racetrack quite well.

You are very right about this one and that's the problem with the usability of your data. However, GT Sport's value of the cars seems to be more helpful. Pretty much all cars at 6.7 and above were kinda useful in the Le Mans daily race some weeks ago.

In manufacturers, I'm on the Z4 atm and was murdered on the straights in Le Mans. In the daily race, I mostly used the Mustang. In your table, the Z4 tops the Mustang, but in Le Mans, the speed difference before braking for the first chicane on the Hunardière straight (or Mulsanne straight, as it is known as in English speaking countries for reasons that I don't know), is almost 10kph in favor of the Mustang.
Now GTS gives the Mustang 6.7 and the Z4 6.4 which reflects performance on the racetrack quite well.
There are still some inconsistencies though. In that daily race, one would expect the meta cars to be the F1 and Pug VGT with scores of 7.0 each. However, another meta car was the GT-R, which has a score of 6.6. You definitely cannot use my data alone to pick a car for top speed tracks, but GTS’ stats don’t fare too well either. I mean, the 4C has the exact same top speed stat as the GT-R, yet literally nobody uses the 4C at Le Mans, Tokyo or Monza.

Last edited:
There are still some inconsistencies though. In that daily race, one would expect the meta cars to be the F1 and Pug VGT with scores of 7.0 each. However, another meta car was the GT-R, which has a score of 6.6. You definitely cannot use my data alone to pick a car for top speed tracks, but GTS’ stats don’t fare too well either. I mean, the 4C has the exact same top speed stat as the GT-R, yet literally nobody uses the 4C at Le Mans, Tokyo or Monza.
I think the F1 was definitely part of the meta and iirc was best time in EMEA while most Top 10 times were GT-Rs.
But you are right, the GTS rating is inconsistent also. The 4C was nowhere to be seen at Le Mans.

I think the F1 was definitely part of the meta and iirc was best time in EMEA while most Top 10 times were GT-Rs.
But you are right, the GTS rating is inconsistent also. The 4C was nowhere to be seen at Le Mans.
It was indeed meta; that's why I said "another meta car" to avoid excluding the F1 and Pug. :)

Like I said: this is aimed mostly at beginners. Advanced players know which cars don't perform as my testing results indicate. The top and bottom three are pretty much set in stone as far as general straight line performance goes, and quite a few beginner mistakes can be avoided, such as picking a top speed car based on HP (e.g. Atenza) :P

Also, forgot to thank @Tassie_tiger for the BoP tables; Route X has special BoP, so the tables really helped me because I had to set the cars' HP and weight values manually! :cheers:

OP updated with today's BoP changes. Pretty much every affected car besides the FT-1 is down on power, which means down on top speed. The R8 LMS went from 294 to 291. :crazy:

Wait until you see how slow the Mitsubishi Gr.4 is :lol:

It's hilarious watching peoples confusion in the FIA Manufacturers races when I am stuck to their bumper and completely unable to overtake. They keep on expecting me to try overtaking them but I simply can't.

What would be interesting and more relevant to the actual races is taking the speed at a set distance from a rolling start. 1000m on a 60mph / 100km/h rolling start would be good I think.

Wait until you see how slow the Mitsubishi Gr.4 is :lol:

It's hilarious watching peoples confusion in the FIA Manufacturers races when I am stuck to their bumper and completely unable to overtake. They keep on expecting me to try overtaking them but I simply can't.
Do the Evos have any redeeming quantities? :odd: I know the Gr.4 handles well but I don't think it's anything groundbreaking.

What would be interesting and more relevant to the actual races is taking the speed at a set distance from a rolling start. 1000m on a 60mph / 100km/h rolling start would be good I think.
Will do 👍

I think your data would be quite useful if you also include what speed they had at for example 300m or 500m, etc
An extra field for
Top speed reached at: [distance]
Between the top speed in mph and the rating would also be very interesting

Do the Evos have any redeeming quantities? :odd: I know the Gr.4 handles well but I don't think it's anything groundbreaking.

erm... I picked them in the FIA for chuckles, and because I thought no-one else would pick them. The gr.4 is 4WD so is quite good at the twisty stuff because you can just mash the throttle when you are half way around a corner. The gr.3 is pretty stable and is ok at the twisty stuff (can be a bit understeery). That's about it. You really need to be alien level good to race them with any success.

From my gr.4 testing I did earlier in the year you will see the Megan Trophy dead last (even with last nights bop bump), the FWD cars top out at about 160mph, and then the Alfa, Mitsubishi and the Subaru. Jag & Huracan will probably be top going by my Tokyo East test.

Acceleration tests have been added to the OP! Thank you @GT_Alex74 and @Galvanize007 for proposing this, I actually had to change from X/Square to R2/L2 for the pedals so I could get the rolling start right and I like it a lot! :lol:

There is a margin of error because I had to press R2 while crossing the start line and pause at the right moments over the 500m and 1000m lines, but I think the margin is pretty small because I didn't test only once.

I also noticed that the numbers are hardly visible because I attached a screenshot. @Lost Sheltie, mind telling me how to attach an Excel file? It would allow people to mess around with filters as well. :)

Thanks to you for running those tests, I wanted to do something similar but couldn't find the time / courage to go through all that. Will be very useful.

I did something similar with the previous BOP for all Gr1/2/3/4/B cars. Used Tokyo East Outer in arcade mode time trial. I thought of using SSRX but BOP is actually different for ovals so it's not representative. Also most tracks don't have unlimited length straight (longest at La Sarthe Chicane, Nordschleife, Tokyo East is only around 2km), and the powerband and gearing of some cars can artificially inflate its top speed if the straight is long enough, which again is not going to be representative of the majority of tracks. Tokyo East is chosen because you start just before the final hairpin, and the downhill and uphill in the tunnel equalises any variations in corner exit speed from the hairpin.

I'm away at the moment so I can't check my notes. When I get back next week I'll post up my results (unless someone else has done it in the meantime). No obvious surprises really. Gr.3 is headed by McLaren F1 and Pug VGT. Mazda/Subaru/Mitsubishi bringing up the rear. Gr.4 is headed by Huracan and F-Type, while Alfa/Mitsu/Subaru/Megane Trophy are again slowest. Gr.2 is roughly similar but '08 cars are slightly faster due to higher power and less aero. Gr.1 is headed by R92CP and the newer LMP-H cars bringing up the rear. Gr.B are all fairly similar.

Acceleration tests have been added to the OP! Thank you @GT_Alex74 and @Galvanize007 for proposing this, I actually had to change from X/Square to R2/L2 for the pedals so I could get the rolling start right and I like it a lot! :lol:

There is a margin of error because I had to press R2 while crossing the start line and pause at the right moments over the 500m and 1000m lines, but I think the margin is pretty small because I didn't test only once.

I also noticed that the numbers are hardly visible because I attached a screenshot. @Lost Sheltie, mind telling me how to attach an Excel file? It would allow people to mess around with filters as well. :)

It isn't an excel file, I used google sheets and then you can just share the link in the post. You should be able to copy and past it into a google sheet from excel, and then you just use the share button in the top right of the screen and you can create a link with the permissions you want to have.

It isn't an excel file, I used google sheets and then you can just share the link in the post. You should be able to copy and past it into a google sheet from excel, and then you just use the share button in the top right of the screen and you can create a link with the permissions you want to have.
Done, thanks! :cheers: Unfortunately the vertically merged cells make filters impossible to add, but at least everything is properly visible now :D

Gr.4 tests are now complete and the results have been added to the spreadsheet! Now that both Gr.3 and Gr.4 are available, hopefully these tests will be a factor in FIA manufacturer decisions if the schedule contains a lot of top speed tracks. :)

Thoughts on Gr.4:
  • The in-game stats are all over the place here... I mean, 6.6 in acceleration for the WRX while the Megane gets 3.8? :lol:
  • This is the definition of the phrase "top speed doesn't tell the whole story". In fact, it tells a totally different story to what the acceleration test does. The RCZ, considered to be one of the best Gr.4 cars in a straight line, tops out at 260 km/h, while the Cayman, which is meh at best, can do 284.
  • Quite a few cars were rev limited. There may be more than the ones I noticed, but the obvious ones have their top speed highlighted in red.
  • Baguette power :cool:

Glad I was right about the Mitsubishi Gr.4 being slow as balls because I was worried it might be my driving :)
Even the gr.3 isn't very fast. I wonder if they will allow me to change manufacturer in the FIA races again? :lol:
Yes, but only if you switch to Subaru or Citroen. :P

The Evo Gr.4's gearbox was a nasty surprise. Who thought a 5-speed would be a good idea? I'm pretty sure the next newest race car with a 5-speed gearbox in this game is the R92CP. :lol: The BoP is very bad, the Evo really needs more power. It gets outrun by everything but the Trophy on a straight, and the Trophy at least has its handling going for it (it's meta at Brands this week).

The Evo Gr.4's gearbox was a nasty surprise. Who thought a 5-speed would be a good idea? I'm pretty sure the next newest race car with a 5-speed gearbox in this game is the R92CP. :lol:

Nismo Lm Gtr has a 5-speed gear box.

Glad I was right about the Mitsubishi Gr.4 being slow as balls because I was worried it might be my driving :)
Even the gr.3 isn't very fast. I wonder if they will allow me to change manufacturer in the FIA races again? :lol:

I also made a mistake of signing the contract with Mitsu. Gr.4 is slow pretty much everywhere: corners, straights, you name it

Latest Posts

Back