TOSS' Touge Tuner Shootout - Final Week Test Driver Time Attack

• Thread starter TimberW
  • 800 comments
Ok i have my time online 3'37"942 , i do this time with LotS member "badboy_etc" who can confirm this.
It happen a strange thing in a room i went , there was no grip at all , my online time there was 3'43" ,i don't know if it was a connection problem with 5 people in this room but we had to go in my lounge to perform normally, so this is my time.

Ok i have my time online 3'37"942 , i do this time with LotS member "badboy_etc" who can confirm this.
It happen a strange thing in a room i went , there was no grip at all , my online time there was 3'43" ,i don't know if it was a connection problem with 5 people in this room but we had to go in my lounge to perform normally, so this is my time.
You get better grip room to room at times, yes.
Usually more grip in actual races online then practice also, very weird things happen online.

Very good time, BTW. 👍

So does a tester need me to send them my R32 tonight?
If not I have another send I need to make.

I still need one (or two depending on specs).
I think, I haven't checked for a few hours.
Just sent you one...if PSN and PD didn't mess up the network again.

Been having a lot of weird things happen in GT5 last couple of days.

Can I suggest we put a little order to the Car sending. reading through the posts above I have no idea who has what cars.

So each Tester adds the person above and below from this list as a friend.

Once you receive a car from the person above you on the list you pass a copy of the car on to the next person and so on.

This way we will all get a carbon copy of the tuners cars for exact testing.
not a car with a couple of BHP / PP out.

TimberW
CSLACR
Onboy123
savage388
Supermelon
cactusOnR
ShadowSports

I have put Timber in first as I believe he is friends with most of the tuners already.

I have 2/3 car that I think will make the tuners specs as I have a run in R32 and an NSX I'll put my Bob out in the one of the my lotus' while I have Dinner tonight so by tomorrow with cloning my R32 I should be able to get 4 of the cars together. Still going to need a fair few more though. and I only have a week and a half to get all the cars and test them.

Yesterday night i was online in a room with SolidSnake7735 and some others guys , testing some others "toscane differents track". This was amazing, just driving on the turny road drifting sometime with my evora, trying to learn a new road instinctively is the best sensation for me now in the game. I love this Touge thing, and i think i 'll tune and drive for this most of the time during the next months.
Before this shootout i was never driving on this kind of tracks, but now i 'm discovering that this is also a big driving challenge, like the ring but less the speed. Grip, timing and trajectory are extremely important and this make my head everytime.:):dopey: .
So that's it. If you feel like you'll never will learn the track and give up , don't do this, don't give up. After some few laps you will love this roads too and enjoy a lot your drive. It happen like this for me. :)👍

Yesterday night i was online in a room with SolidSnake7735 and some others guys , testing some others "toscane differents track". This was amazing, just driving on the turny road drifting sometime with my evora, trying to learn a new road instinctively is the best sensation for me now in the game. I love this Touge thing, and i think i 'll tune and drive for this most of the time during the next months.
Before this shootout i was never driving on this kind of tracks, but now i 'm discovering that this is also a big driving challenge, like the ring but less the speed. Grip, timing and trajectory are extremely important and this make my head everytime.:):dopey: .
So that's it. If you feel like you'll never will learn the track and give up , don't do this, don't give up. After some few laps you will love this roads too and enjoy a lot your drive. It happen like this for me. :)👍

I totally agree with you mate. I was chasing Bigberry round the shootout track and it's so much fun on the twisty roads. as you say drifting some corners.
Not knowing the track is half the fun for me. I have in the past only ever tried to make short Touge tracks to try and get quick lap times so I was able to learn the track easier. I now realize thats not where the fun is for me.
A one on one battle on a tight track with a driver of a similar level as your self is so much fun. It's brilliant.

I totally agree with you mate. I was chasing Bigberry round the shootout track and it's so much fun on the twisty roads. as you say drifting some corners.
Not knowing the track is half the fun for me. I have in the past only ever tried to make short Touge tracks to try and get quick lap times so I was able to learn the track easier. I now realize thats not where the fun is for me.
A one on one battle on a tight track with a driver of a similar level as your self is so much fun. It's brilliant.

It seems you're all catching Touge Fever!! and how contagious it is!!:drool:
the excitement of the driver duel is what feeds the Legend of the Streets. And we have TimberW to thank for putting together these events
*applause*

driving is only half the fun, tuning these vehicles to be touge-worthy is just as addicting!!

While I've enjoyed tuning for this shootout there are some things I'd like to try with tunes in the future but not sure if they fit the Touge concept.

1) Is 500PP The upper limit on Touge events or is there room for 525, 550 or higher PP events? There are many cars that would be fun to run on Touge style tracks in one on one races that go well over 500PP without excessive use of ballast and power limiters.

2) How about more restrictions on cars keeping them even closer to street cars such as limiting the amount of weight reduction and excluding racing/semi-racing parts such as the titanium exhausts and racing air filter? Alternatively how about a higher performance class that uses higher grade tires and allows all tuning options? Both of these are things you see in real life ammature and club, drag and circuit racing.

It seems you're all catching Touge Fever!! and how contagious it is!!:drool:
the excitement of the driver duel is what feeds the Legend of the Streets. And we have TimberW to thank for putting together these events
*applause*

driving is only half the fun, tuning these vehicles to be touge-worthy is just as addicting!!

I agree *applause* for TimberW , the WesternAustralian Touge fever promoter. You're right also with the tuning part. It's not only making a car fast, you need a fast car and safe to let some space to improvisation or flair, anything can happen, this is really exciting.

1) Is 500PP The upper limit on Touge events or is there room for 525, 550 or higher PP events? There are many cars that would be fun to run on Touge style tracks in one on one races that go well over 500PP without excessive use of ballast and power limiters.

I have plans for higher PP limits. But due to the number of players, creating too many classes at a time is not too good. So far LotS have 2 classes.
Class A: 500PP
Class B: 450PP 2WD Only

We also run side challenges where we mix up different restricions to allow/force players to discover other cars for the Touge.

2) How about more restrictions on cars keeping them even closer to street cars such as limiting the amount of weight reduction and excluding racing/semi-racing parts such as the titanium exhausts and racing air filter?

More special Restrictions is done for the "side challenges'. I find that allowing flexibility gives players room to tune their cars to the way they want to. So I won't bother much about restricting other parts.

Alternatively how about a higher performance class that uses higher grade tires and allows all tuning options? Both of these are things you see in real life ammature and club, drag and circuit racing.

Tyres is always an arguement. To me, what sets the "Touge" defined in LotS is that we're using street tyres. Many other leagues and public lobbies if they do use sports tyres, they will restrict it to sports soft. I like driving with Sports Hard and intend to keep LotS that way. And sports hard tyres is what sets this club apart from the common racing series. Even the tuning section, you won't find many tuners tuning on sports hard tyres.

And I'm happy to say that the expert seasonal, it's using Sports Hard Tyres too.

LotS is street racing and are bound to the street racing concept based around Initial D.

I'm glad that you guys find joy in the touge. I've been busy so far and don't really have time to hang out on the touge. But it's really something different! BTW, I'm a big fan of Initial D. Enough said. lol.

Ok cool.

Timber. Any chance of passing on the R23 please mate.

Timber should be the first port of call for all the tuners cars as he's friends with most of them already. Them pass to me and I'll pass on to who ever ends up next on the chain.

Adding you on PSN.

I've freed up some spots on my friends list, so if you want to add me, you can go ahead and do that..Hopefully I don't run out of friend spots. My Elise is shared and good to go for testing.

ugabugaz's Lotus Elise 111R '04 (286hp/900kg)
3:45.754

From yesterday's krenkme's Elise, this is even more of a beast!! haha... but so far fastest of the three tunes tested by me.

I wanted to do another tune today, but got caught up with some SW20 rivalry... haha... Tomorrow then!

Also, its good not to drive different drivetrains on the same night. Lol.

Last edited:
While I've enjoyed tuning for this shootout there are some things I'd like to try with tunes in the future but not sure if they fit the Touge concept.

2) How about more restrictions on cars keeping them even closer to street cars such as limiting the amount of weight reduction and excluding racing/semi-racing parts such as the titanium exhausts and racing air filter? Alternatively how about a higher performance class that uses higher grade tires and allows all tuning options? Both of these are things you see in real life ammature and club, drag and circuit racing.

Nightingale proposed a team-based touge racing series. The Touge Drivers Club.. but due to personal reasons he put it on an indefinite hold.
Myself and other touge drivers are putting together a revival of the TDC.

Plans for the league are HP based classifications like those found on Best MOTORing's Hot Version. With different tire restrictions (sports medium perhaps) for the higher powered beasts!!

In regards to WHEN this league will be open for registration, there is no set date. But, i'm hoping to have it up and running by December.

Nightingale proposed a team-based touge racing series. The Touge Drivers Club.. but due to personal reasons he put it on an indefinite hold.

Plans for the league are HP based classifications like those found on Best MOTORing's Hot Version. With different tire restrictions (sports medium perhaps) for the higher powered beasts!!

In regards to WHEN this league will be open for registration, there is no set date. But, i'm hoping to have it up and running by December.

Sounds interesting, however due to bad PSN connection and my own lack of driving skill I'm more or less limited to tuning cars.
Perhaps someone with better driving skills and a lack of time for tuning might find some of my tunes useful.:D

In my opinion

450pp ---- comfort soft
500pp ---- sport hard
550pp ---- sort soft
600pp ---- racing hard

For me this seems to be the best combination , the good proportion between HP and tires.
Not too much grip that will hide the quality of the car and pilot .
Not too much slippy that the driver skilled or not will not be able to explore totally the combination of chassis and engine with to hard tires.

I will do some test with some possibles configurations to have a better idea.

In my opinion

450pp ---- comfort soft
500pp ---- sport hard
550pp ---- sort soft
600pp ---- racing hard

For me this seems to be the best combination , the good proportion between HP and tires.
Not too much grip that will hide the quality of the car and pilot .
Not too much slippy that the driver skilled or not will not be able to explore totally the combination of chassis and engine with to hard tires.

I will do some test with some possibles configurations to have a better idea.

Well the problem with your suggestion is that racing tires declassifies the vehicles as street-legal which is one of the main attributes of touge racing.

Personally (and im sure Timber would agree), Sports Soft would be the grippiest allowable tire, though i would also think sports medium would suffice. As most street vehicles, even those of immense power come stock with Sports Hard tires.

Except for the beastliest of touge monsters, Amuse GT1 Turbo and Mine's BNR34 N1; they come equipped with Sports Soft.

Since grip and tire-wear management are also key points of touge driving. the street-legal tires are a must

The classifications I had come up with were
Kei Car <200hp Comfort Hard
<300hp Comfort Soft tires
<400hp Sports Hard tires
<500hp Sports Hard tires
500+hp Sports Medium/Soft tires

Well the problem with your suggestion is that racing tires declassifies the vehicles as street-legal which is one of the main attributes of touge racing.

Personally (and im sure Timber would agree), Sports Soft would be the grippiest allowable tire, though i would also think sports medium would suffice. As most street vehicles, even those of immense power come stock with Sports Hard tires.

Except for the beastliest of touge monsters, Amuse GT1 Turbo and Mine's BNR34 N1; they come equipped with Sports Soft.

Since grip and tire-wear management are also key points of touge driving. the street-legal tires are a must

The classifications I had come up with were
Kei Car <200hp Comfort Hard
<300hp Comfort Soft tires
<400hp Sports Hard tires
<500hp Sports Hard tires
500+hp Sports Medium/Soft tires

By this classification all the cars from the shootout 280hp for elise to 380 hp max, will have to race with comfort soft.... ??? This seems too extreme for me and less fun.
For the 600pp there is still room for sport soft tires, sometime i play with my TVR speed 12 / 1027hp and sport soft tires around the ring. It's still drivable.

By this classification all the cars from the shootout 280hp for elise to 380 hp max, will have to race with comfort soft.... ??? This seems too extreme for me and less fun.
For the 600pp there is still room for sport soft tires, sometime i play with my TVR speed 12 / 1027hp and sport soft tires around the ring. It's still drivable.

I would consider that fair... it just so happens that the Elise is somewhat of a pushover on the touge. A previous touge competition, GTTC (Gran Turismo Touge Championship) had banned the Elise from competing since it swept almost all classes and was deemed too unfair. I would go as far as banning the Elise as well in order to prevent too many of the same cars as it would be uninteresting and unfair to those who wish to run something more original.

Also, you're underestimating the grip that Comfort Soft timres have. they may be a popular tire for drifting because of their low grip but in the face of it all it is STILL a SOFT compound tire.

Vehicles under 300hp would have no trouble going fast with comfort soft tires as they would usually fall under 480PP, and it would maintain a level of fairness as well in the case of 4WD vehicles being overpowered, as most stock JDM 4WD's have 250-280hp

I've been working these details out over the last few weeks while i compile the details for the new Touge Drivers Club. I want everything to go smoothly for its inauguration. It's quite fun learning to drive fast with low grip tires, calls for intense battles because remember... your opponents will be running the same tires.

It's a team-based league, with different power classes. details will be released sooner than later

Does anyone need a copy of my Subaru WRX '10. I can send one today if network :grumpy: will let me I've been having problems with it probably server overload or something.

madmyk
hey Timber,
Is the Tuner submitted time separate from the Tester times? Should I do a rank for Tuner time? Should the ranking for Tester times include the Tuner time or no?

I know not all tuners will be submitting a time, will that be an issue? I didn't see where to record it so I shifted one column to the right and included the tuners time.

Regarding tyres and horse power, the concept of LotS is that if you want more horse power, it will come at a cost, which is grip of the tyres. And to me, Sports Hard is the most road legal tyre you can get in GT5. Many stock spec sports cars in GT5 uses this compound. =)

Sorry guy's, I havent been online in a couple days because I started school on Monday. I'm going to start testing Tommorow night.
Do I just post my time's in here ?

Back