Tougher penalties!!!

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
New to GT7 but getting to be a decent driver but, come on, cars that ram others off the track...something should happen to them. I'm looking to see if a penalty is given but no. As for me (in my last race), I went from pole to last because of a shunter. How do we stop them?

We used to have stricter penalties, but everyone complained and now we have basically no penalties. I imagine less people are complaining now than beforehand so we're stuck with it.

PD have had over 5 years to come up with a better penalty and SR system if they wanted it, so I've little hope of a change now.

We used to have stricter penalties, but everyone complained and now we have basically no penalties. I imagine less people are complaining now than beforehand so we're stuck with it.

PD have had over 5 years to come up with a better penalty and SR system if they wanted it, so I've little hope of a change now.
One of the first mentions of the Sophy AI was in regards to it learning what is and isn't fair or correct driving. While a lot of people look at the possible implementation being an AI you race against, I'm hoping it's an AI that'll act as steward and issue penalties.

Last edited:
Yeah hooligans are a pain.
Basically PD has tried everything from Draconian to lenient, but it seems they are unable to have their system differentiate between offender and victim. So a harsh penalties got lots of complaints because people got rammed and got a penalty, adding insult to injury.
So it seems the problem cannot be solved adequately by a penalty system. Thus you have to protect yourself by driving defensively. I found I am a little bit less fanatic than in GTS, which helps a lot. So I pay a lot of attention to how the players around me drive. If there is a hooligan, I stay clear as much as I can. They also tend to crash themselves out, so karma will often catch up with them.

I wish there was a warning for a non legit overtake like you see in ACC or in PC2 , that would help alot even without contact penalties

Last edited:
They should simply bring in a vote to ban option, obviously not down to a single vote but if there is a complete tool of a driver in a race the majority could vote to kick that player, it shouldn't be that difficult to do by by their name tag to prevent them getting back in the same lobby surely?

They should simply bring in a vote to ban option, obviously not down to a single vote but if there is a complete tool of a driver in a race the majority could vote to kick that player, it shouldn't be that difficult to do by by their name tag to prevent them getting back in the same lobby surely?
Great idea. It does get better as you race better drivers and your SE goes up.

New to GT7 but getting to be a decent driver but, come on, cars that ram others off the track...something should happen to them. I'm looking to see if a penalty is given but no. As for me (in my last race), I went from pole to last because of a shunter. How do we stop them?
I agree.
Do you think a "report player" function would do anything?
Like report a player and send them the replay with a note of the exact moment that the dirty driver rammed you off the track.
Something happening to me in an online race today in brands hatch. Was in 2nd in the last lap, the 3rd place driver just bumps me from behind and here I go off the track. No penalty for him and I finished 5th because of that.
Sincerely, I wish there was a way of reporting these players.

I agree.
Do you think a "report player" function would do anything?
Like report a player and send them the replay with a note of the exact moment that the dirty driver rammed you off the track.
Something happening to me in an online race today in brands hatch. Was in 2nd in the last lap, the 3rd place driver just bumps me from behind and here I go off the track. No penalty for him and I finished 5th because of that.
Sincerely, I wish there was a way of reporting these players.
I'm sure we have all accidentally got a corner wrong and shunted the driver in front, but I'm talking about intentional ramming. It's most obvious when you're in a drag race and the other driver just sideswipes you. I wonder if a 'report' function would work and when a player is reported over a certain amount of times they get a period of time-out from online races.

I'm sure we have all accidentally got a corner wrong and shunted the driver in front, but I'm talking about intentional ramming. It's most obvious when you're in a drag race and the other driver just sideswipes you. I wonder if a 'report' function would work and when a player is reported over a certain amount of times they get a period of time-out from online races.
Oh that guy did it on purpose. He was trying to knock me off course for 1 lap. He bumped me in the lap before but couldnt knock me off or make me lose control, and tried bumping me after that but I jumped off the way. But at his 3rd try I couldnt do anything.
The sideswiping and pit maneuvering physics are something that just bafles me.
Why allow something like that in multiplayer races? Thats begging for abuse. A simple touch and there you flying off track or into a spin

I've said this previously but there must be a way the game could be better at detecting blatant dirty driving, for example i seen some guy brake check Kie halfway down one of the straights at Monza. Also seen quite a few people get side swiped passing someone down a straight.....both didn't get a penalty. In braking zone's and going round corners its a much greyer area to portion out blame. But surely the game is able to see/work out that if someone is on a straight with a car in close vicinity/passing them and they sharply turn left or right and make heavy contact......

Intentional ramming that player that did the ramming should be sent to the pits for the rest of the race. NOW, I have real big problem with AI's hitting you and you get the penalty, this happens way to much. I had an AI sideswipe me on a straight away. WTH! I got the penalty in which it would've been a clean race.

Intentional ramming that player that did the ramming should be sent to the pits for the rest of the race. NOW, I have real big problem with AI's hitting you and you get the penalty, this happens way to much. I had an AI sideswipe me on a straight away. WTH! I got the penalty in which it would've been a clean race.

Mate, it's become disgusting... This is from today, first got screwed by the game itself as the guy who spun out didn't ghost and collected me. But then...

The guy obviously rammed me off on purpose and he did it to around 4 other players in the span of 2 races. He got a grand total of ZERO penalties and remained in the top split lobbies as well 🤬😢

Skip to around 1 minute if you only want to see him do his amazing sportsmanship display... I'm the orange GTR in case you cannot tell 😂🤪

Last edited:
Mate, it's become disgusting... This is from today, first got screwed by the game itself as the guy who spun out didn't ghost and collected me. But then...

The guy obviously rammed me off on purpose and he did it to around 4 other players in the span of 2 races. He got a grand total of ZERO penalties and remained in the top split lobbies as well 🤬😢

Skip to around 1 minute if you only want to see him do his amazing sportsmanship display... I'm the orange GTR in case you cannot tell 😂🤪

Watkins glen is efed up. If you get bumped from behind and sent flying outside the track, on the first corner, you get a penalty unless you comeback to the track really slowly, while the rammer gets no punishment.
I agree it should be implemented a "report player" and "vote to kick from lobby" functions.
But PD probably will let this stay like it is forever. They dont give a crap...

Watkins glen is efed up. If you get bumped from behind and sent flying outside the track, on the first corner, you get a penalty unless you comeback to the track really slowly, while the rammer gets no punishment.
I agree it should be implemented a "report player" and "vote to kick from lobby" functions.
But PD probably will let this stay like it is forever. They dont give a crap...
Vote to kick on a racing game is probably impossible to implement, everyone would just agree to vote out players in front of them. The real issue is that SR means absolutely nothing in the game, you have to almost go out of your way to lose S-Rank, ideally in a functioning safety rating system players that intentionally ram others should never be on the same rank as someone that keeps it clean most of the time.

Yup thats a d*** ..... BTW there are teams of guys that do ramming/blocking to get other racers knocked out in order to get their buddy to win..

How about like no penalites but just for the dumb AI???

Christian Bale Idk GIF

I always get shunted or rammed by slow reacting AI....

It does get better as you race better drivers and your SE goes up.
At low rating, you get rammed by people who are incompetent and aren't trying to ram you. As you become higher rated, the incompetence reduces, and the racing becomes better. In GTS, I found 20k-40k DR was reasonably clean. Then as you get higher rated, you get a new type of skilled dirty driving, where people will use any techniques the game will let them get away with to finish higher up in races. The people who do this naturally become higher rated than those who don't, so I found around 50k upwards was bad for this, and stopped bothering. From seeing other people's races at 55k-65k on live streams, there was plenty of dirty driving at that level as well. It does seem to clean up again when you get to the very highest level and people are constantly racing against the same people, because nobody wants a bad reputation at that level.

Yeah hooligans are a pain.
Basically PD has tried everything from Draconian to lenient, but it seems they are unable to have their system differentiate between offender and victim. So a harsh penalties got lots of complaints because people got rammed and got a penalty, adding insult to injury.
So it seems the problem cannot be solved adequately by a penalty system. Thus you have to protect yourself by driving defensively. I found I am a little bit less fanatic than in GTS, which helps a lot. So I pay a lot of attention to how the players around me drive. If there is a hooligan, I stay clear as much as I can. They also tend to crash themselves out, so karma will often catch up with them.
I prefer the stricter system. Yes you got penalties for things which were not your fault and that is frustrating. However if your driver better you will naturally collect less of them and as the rammers drop SR and race results due to penalties they will fall down both the DR and SR scale faster than the cleaner drivers. At the end of the day the cream will rise to the top in a stricter system, it's just that players don't have the patience to wait for it.

I noticed in recent races that the ghosting doesn't work when somebody rams you in a high speed , not sure but from i remember it should automaticly ghost the rammer so they ram the wall instead but i havent seen it happen in daily races :(

I noticed in recent races that the ghosting doesn't work when somebody rams you in a high speed , not sure but from i remember it should automaticly ghost the rammer so they ram the wall instead but i havent seen it happen in daily races :(
It has only ever worked in the lowest lobbies. Once you reach D rank it has never ghosted for this.

Vote to kick on a racing game is probably impossible to implement, everyone would just agree to vote out players in front of them. The real issue is that SR means absolutely nothing in the game, you have to almost go out of your way to lose S-Rank, ideally in a functioning safety rating system players that intentionally ram others should never be on the same rank as someone that keeps it clean most of the time.
They can do something like, if a vote to kick is initiated, there will be an algorithm that counts something like "number of times this driver contacted/touched other drivers by his/her own doing" and add a threshold to that. If people are trying to kick a good clean driver that is constantly doing clean races, than he/she will be bellow the threshold, and the vtk will fail.
If there is a dirty driver constantly ramming other drivers, than he/she will certainly go over the treshold and, if there is a vtk initiated on this driver, he/she will be kicked out.
Of course an automated system will always generate false positives, but I believe still it would be for the best.
I agree that SR is almost a meme right now. I got rammed off track by S drivers more times than by any other rank.
I agree SR should be way tighter and lobbies should separated based on SR aswell. I would accept S/A, and B/C/D being separated from each other.

This thread is from a YEAR ago. The game has been out for 18 months now and the penalties are such a joke that Sport Mode is an unenjoyable cesspool, showcasing the worst driver behavior that I have seen since online play was introduced to GT.

Only the most blatant contact is punished, but even breathing on track limits gets you a 0.5 second penalty. You hit the wall? Damage AND a penalty...and why did you hit the wall? Probably because someone hit you INTO that wall, and they get no penalty for it.

I was a vocal opponent to adding damage, but SOOOO many said it was the answer. Well, it there now, did it help or solve anything? No. It's now worse. Now, when I get turfed off track, I'm not only punished by some other player's childish rage, but I also have damage to my car.

If there's going to be damage, it should be large catastrophic, pieces flying everywhere, your race is over, type of damage, AND the cause of this damage can be assessed post race and busted down to DR E...NO really, why isn't someone that punts someone else off track punished all the way down to DR E???

Bring back penalties for everything except the lightest of contact. Will everyone get penalties? At first, yes, but everyone will quickly look to avoid getting penalized. Also, SEVERE DR impact for getting 5 second impact penalties. Not this BS where you go from SR S to SR A, or whatever. If you punt someone, for whatever reason, you go to DR E and need to work your way back to where ever your were before. So often, someone punts another player, and those same two people are in the next race, often ruining it for others.

PD needs to show that they care about the experience by bringing the hammer down, before this becomes another toxic online environment like so many other games.

I thought the racing was cleaner when the damage was on the realistic setting. It's too bad they reverted to light damage.

I have 0 faith in this being changed at all from the current system.
I do think the simplest way to fix it would be a no-fault system. Cars touch, 1 second penalty to everyone involved. If you accumulate more than 5sec in penalty time you get DNF.

Last edited:

The SR system could work fine if they simply uncapped the score and stopped assigning letter grades.

Penalty system... yeah just throw it out and start over.

The only way I could see races being cleaner is if dirty driving could be reported and those with enough valid reports (like not just someone getting mad over an accidental tap) get suspended from Sport Mode for awhile and if it continues, banned permanently. In GT Sport I think PD at least put out a post saying that they were going to do this, but there are no signs whatsoever if this happening in 7.
If anything now more people purposely race dirty to try getting into videos or at least be talked about on the internet. Dirty driving makes controversy and controversy can make money and publicity, so unless PD wants to change it, things will probably just get worse and I see no sign that PD wants to change.

I do not understand why the game has damage available, but only seems to be used if you stonk into a wall or something? If you hit another car, damage is the way to go.

Back