Toyota Corolla Altis ESport... Nurburgring Edition...?

I wonder when Toyota will finally realise its not enough to put a body kit and bigger wheels on a car to make it appealing to enthusiasts?

The current Corolla for the first time in as far as I can remember looks pretty sharp in S trim. Why not give it the 2AR-FE engine from the Scion tC, massage it a bit to get it to around 200hp, upgrade the suspension, and you've got a pretty decent Civic SI/VW GTI fighter.

I wonder when Toyota will finally realise its not enough to put a body kit and bigger wheels on a car to make it appealing to enthusiasts?

The current Corolla for the first time in as far as I can remember looks pretty sharp in S trim. Why not give it the 2AR-FE engine from the Scion tC, massage it a bit to get it to around 200hp, upgrade the suspension, and you've got a pretty decent Civic SI/VW GTI fighter.
I don't think placing the 2AR-FE engine on the Corolla is that much of a good idea, namely because of how crummy gas mileage it gets for its performance. I think the 8AR-FTS from the Lexus NX would be a nice choice for the car, with 235 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque.

Dunno if it would fit though.

Its a lot more than just the engine with the Corolla, though. I'm certainly of the mindset that a different set of tires and a recalibration of the steering box would be enough to make a credible sporting option out of the S - even if it still lags a bit behind the others in straight-line performance. I'll take a car that rides nicely and manages to handle pretty well any day over something that tries to shatter my spine in the search for grip.

Still, a Corolla XRS with the turbo out of the NX would be fun. We'd just have to hope Toyota wouldn't price it into the stratosphere.

I feel like the Corolla S's CVT has potential to get a more edge-on deal for performance, like Subaru's sport CVT on the WRX and Forester XT.

If they were to make a performance variant of that said CVT, better wheels, a honed suspension, and give it a performance engine (8AR-FTS, as said earlier), then the Corolla could get a better following, and perhaps, reputation.

Not overly surprised. The Gazoo Racing organized Vitz Race Netz Cup has been hugely successful in Japan for over 15 years now.
B5buENhCIAEIRyg.jpg

Are the Philippino cars also prepped to racing spec by TRD?

Yup. FIA-approved cage, TRD-supplied brake pads, clutch, suspension, LSD, intake... don't know about the exhaust. Not the quickest things in a straight line, but they do respectable lap-times. They're also available for purchase to the public, and can likely be licensed for road use, here.

Intriguingly... a local shop just did up a 1NZ-FE (the 1.5 liter motor) with a turbo build and it's pushing out over 200 whp. Tops out at 236 km/h on GPS. (stock speedo doesn't go that high).

That brings up the intriguing possibility of building one of these for time attack.

Yup. FIA-approved cage, TRD-supplied brake pads, clutch, suspension, LSD, intake... don't know about the exhaust. Not the quickest things in a straight line, but they do respectable lap-times. They're also available for purchase to the public, and can likely be licensed for road use, here.

Intriguingly... a local shop just did up a 1NZ-FE (the 1.5 liter motor) with a turbo build and it's pushing out over 200 whp. Tops out at 236 km/h on GPS. (stock speedo doesn't go that high).

That brings up the intriguing possibility of building one of these for time attack.
So they're doing something similar to what Hyundai did with the Click in Korea?

So they're doing something similar to what Hyundai did with the Click in Korea?

Yup. Hell, if I had the disposable income, I'd join the races myself. All I'd need are sponsors to pay for the per-race expenses.

This is a funny article about the New Your Auto Show:
Mashable.com
Toyota had one of the most high-tech exhibits at the New York Auto Show, thanks to its F1 simulator. While the F1 stunning concept car won't hit the road anytime soon, it set up a way for attendees to get a feel for what it would be like to drive such a high-performing vehicle.
Toyota_F1_Simulator_640x426.jpg

PS3 is one of the most high-tech things out there. In your face PS4.

Last edited:

It will never happen,not in North America,my wife works for Toyota in Cambridge,the plant is moving to Mexico.

I don't think placing the 2AR-FE engine on the Corolla is that much of a good idea, namely because of how crummy gas mileage it gets for its performance. I think the 8AR-FTS from the Lexus NX would be a nice choice for the car, with 235 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque.

Do still don't know if it will fit or not ?
Don't you know any one who had fit the 8AR engine in the corolla?
I have corolla e140 2012 and i want to know my choices to put a powerful engine in it. I think the 2zz-ge will be pretty good put i want to know other choices please

Do you still don't know if it will fit or not have you seen any body who fitted the 8AR in the corolla ?? I have a corolla e140 2012 and i want to know my choices to fit a powerful engine in it .. I know the 2zz-ge will be pretty good but I want to know other choices please?

Holy Mother of necroposts

Do you still don't know if it will fit or not have you seen any body who fitted the 8AR in the corolla ?? I have a corolla e140 2012 and i want to know my choices to fit a powerful engine in it .. I know the 2zz-ge will be pretty good but I want to know other choices please?

After giving another look at the NX, which is based off the Rav4, which shares platforms with the E150 Corolla, it's debatable, as an E140 is more or less similar to it.

Also, why an 8AR-FKS? If you're looking to give your E140 more power, there's cheaper options.

Back