Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup 2022 Schedule is Announced for Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Famine
  • 217 comments
Am i missing something in rd 4 practice lobby?
It's raining and the top guys are way ahead of what should be possible?
Are they waiting for the track to dry or what?

So after waiting about 40 mins on track, yes it is indeed dry enough for slicks

Kinda pointless honestly but hey.
Lol. I was wondering why I was so ridiculously far off the pace of the top times (20 seconds), boot up a replay and the guy is casually tearing up a dry track on racing softs while I'm getting owned in the rain. I wonder what the rain situation will be in the actual race, with these cars in pleb league extreme carnage is already guaranteed in dry especially with grid start and the epic turn 1 hairpin, if it's wet it'll be amplified even more lols

Last edited:
Been practicing in the wet for the Toyota race in the Formula cars. Damn am I way off pace from the tops of the leader board. lol

I dont mind racing in the rain but im not to keen or thrilled bout racing that car in the rain on that track, it will be pure mayhem with the track & bad driving, so im considering skipping this event

I dont mind racing in the rain but im not to keen or thrilled bout racing that car in the rain on that track, it will be pure mayhem with the track & bad driving, so im considering skipping this event
It's going to be a train wreck but I can't look away.....if your in GT3 in North America cya tonight

Yes but it was a nightmare as it was quite impossible to make similar lobbies then you didnt know what will happen with weather and tyres...I stayed with intermediate because I thought I would never recover the time left during pitting..but the track drying killed the intermediate and the 3 last laps were a nightmare...really a race to forget..

Yea, no,that race was pure chaos, rained all way til lap 10, and if someone made it through that 1st turn chaos unscathed after the start, then they were way off the road.. Pitted on lap 10 and road was still wet some places so spun off road a few times to knock me from 6th catching the field to 12th, where i shall stay as i will not be running that mess again tonight

I had 2 catastrophic races then gave up, maybe some advice for others though

Qualifying:
  • the track significantly dries up near the end, laps basically will get faster as you go, and probably the last lap you get in will be fastest. I didn't try switching to racing soft but maybe possible near end
  • getting stuck behind someone can easily destroy your lap, this is especially prevalant in pleb league. I found it better to just give everyone a minute or so head start and basically time trial by myself. Maybe not so much a problem in higher lobbies

The race:
- Corner 1 total death. I was qualified in top 5 both of my races and came out of the first corner last or second last both times due to murder. Lol. If I went again I'd stick close to inside as possible. Basically a gamble, if you're behind someone you'll get punted and punt them off, maybe survive yourself but maybe with penalty. If you lead into corner 1 like I did, and take the racing line, high risk you'll get punted into oblivion and find yourself facing backwards in gravel in the rain

NOTE: obviously this is somewhat influenced by skill and driving style, but this was my experience
  • With my driving, by about lap 9 the track was fairly dry and my IM tires were pretty much shot. Completly binned it a couple of times on last 3 laps when tires just gave out, and had to really slow significantly down due to tire wear. Maybe better drivers can adapt, I definitely failed
  • You can switch to racing soft if you're good. I tried this on one of my races and followed the dry part of the track (very much like some of the human comedy missions), and made up a ton of time on people who hadn't pitted. Then I just went 1mm onto the wet part of the track and got sent to my death immediately. :)

My guess was be that if you have similar tire wear as I had, and if you're confident of sticking to the dry part of the track, it's probably worth pitting and swapping to racing soft around end of lap 9. Even if not confident it might be worth getting new IMs - for me as a pleb I'm sure I would have been quicker with pit + new IM versus no pit, 2 total binnings and old IM.

I couldn't be bothered to run it again, but aside from the murder both times corner 1, it was a fun race and nice to have some weather. That said, the weather was 100% identical in both my races so I guess it's not random at all, which is unfortunate

Super Formula was fun to drive in these conditions, and I had pretty solid pace, but the racing was a disaster. Raced all three CSA slots, was killed in all three.

First slot, I could have finished on the podium in a high-rated lobby, until a Brazilian pushed me wide in the chicane and then went on the throttle while hitting my rear tyre to make sure he spun me around, costing me over 15 seconds and destroying my intermediates. I had to pit for softs and ended up in 13th. At least, as a consolation prize, I set the fastest lap of the race with those softs... Top 4 in this race would have meant the 200 points I needed.

In the second slot, I lost many positions in the first laps as I was bumped off the track, then was side swiped in the middle of a straight. Recovered to P12.

Lost so much DR from Watkins Glen and these first two slots that I in the final slot, I ended up in a 148-point lobby with many B-rated drivers. Points were useless for me even if I would have won, but tried to get a good result anyway. Missed out on pole as I made a mistake in my final lap, but was still P3 on the grid. I was sent down to I think P10 after being hit 3 times in the first two laps, over 15 secs off the lead. I still managed to make it up to 3rd just a few secs off, definitely had the pace to win, but ended up binning it myself while trying to overtake P2 on the final lap as I cooked my rear tyres from having to push. Ended up P7 for 111 useless points.

In a way, it was good that it went so badly, as I was always on the fence of quitting GT due to the terrible driving standards, and this round made the decision much easier. GT7 is unfortunately not good enough for competitive racing until PD takes things seriously. Good luck for the rest of the season to those still competing!

Since this was my final race... I guess I'll post my end of season result recap. :lol: Obviously, will drop back many positions by the time the season finishes.

1656898190037.png

Was the weather different for everyone?
Standing water at the beginning seemed to be always 55-56%. But the cloud formations in the weather radar were different on each slot, so I guess it could theoretically dry up faster or slower depending on the race. But in the 3 slots I did, you could have risked it for slicks after laps 6 or 7 and track was definitely good enough for slicks after lap 8 or so, so if there were differences, they were minor.

Starred with about 65% wet ended at about 25% wet, did the entire race on IM's and the last lap was a mess but managed 3rd :)

Last edited:
Well that was a kind of fun race in the rain for the Toyota cup @ Nurburgring GP....certainly more fun than I though it was going to be.

Slot 1 I Q'd 11th I think, worked up a little and did a stop and grabbed softs at the end of lap 7. Unfortunately I jammed the pitwall, got stuck for about 5 second and got a 3 second penalty for my troublges on the way out. End of 7th lap seemed about the ideal time to change over if you're going to do it, but you HAVE to stay on the dry/racing line for the first lap or two. Very little room for error but you make up loads of time. Finished somewhere around 9th I think.

Slot 2 I Q'd a little better in 6th. Off the start I moved up to 2nd or 3rd by the 2nd corner with judicious use of overtake button. Was cruising along decently in 3rd but spun coming out of T1 a few laps later. Made up some ground and figured I'd just ride it out on a 1 stopper. Finsihed 5th and called it a night.

Slot 1: Qualified 9th in Top Split, which wasn't quite where I wanted to be, but also not unexpected given the caliber of drivers I was up against. I figured I could make up a few spots from the expected chaos. I started the race in 4th gear because my practice launches seemed to indicate that would work due to the exceptionally low traction. It did NOT work, and I dropped down to maybe 14th place after Sector 1. I climbed back up to maybe P11 before pitting for Softs on Lap 6, then proceeded to lose traction on the pit exit and touch the line, giving myself a 3s penalty. I then proceeded to run off the dry line at what seemed like a rate of at least once per lap, but somehow finished where I started in 9th in spite of doing everything in my power to throw the race away. Even more surprising was that it was worth 258 points. I'd never turned down that many points in my life, but I knew I had way more pace and wasn't happy with my sloppiness, so I decided to go again...

Slot 2: I benefitted from being one of the last cars to start my hot laps, and had a slightly drier track each lap compared to the ones in front, just like you see in wet qualifying sessions in F1. Every time I crossed the line I would be on pole, but on my final run I made a few small mistakes and wasn't able to actually take pole. In fact I was well off pole in P8. This time I elected to start in 1st gear and made a much better start, and held 8th for the first few corners before eventually grabbing 7th, which is where I stayed until I pitted on Lap 6, unable to advance my position in the train of cars that extended from the leader down to P8. Fortunately, none of the people directly in front of me pitted when I did - though some that were several seconds ahead did pit, as well as a few behind me. This time I was careful leaving the pits, but the 2 who pitted ahead of me weren't and spun. After all the pit stops and resulting pit exit mishaps, I was still in 7th due to all the people who elected to not pit and run the Inters until the end. I picked off 3 of the no-stoppers, including 1 I had to pass twice on the final lap due to finally making a mistake and running off the dry line, and finished 4th, and with a CRB to boot! This was worth 313 points, so I definitely called it a night after that.

Last edited:
Did 2 races, both dried up at lap 6-7.

Race 1: Qualified P7, made a couple passes and was running P4. Tried to pit at lap 6 for softs but missed, so pitted after 7. Only saw 1 other guy pit. Messed up entry and exit so ended up with 6 seconds of penalties there. Ran through the field on the softs, but came up on some guy losing traction on that first S on the way back (which I could take flat out) and got another 4 seconds. Got to p3 on the last lap, came up on the leaders, but had to serve that penalty and finished P3.

Race 2: Qualified like P6-8, idk for sure, got to P2 and pitted after lap 6. Way more people stopped this time. Went off and spun a couple times on my out lap so I thought I was finished and was like 44 seconds back at one point. Managed to pass everyone who had stayed out and got to P2, at which point the leader decided to pit. Passed him and held off another challenger to get the W

KST 2022.07.03 pm:11:00
Last race run
Gazoo Cup round 4 Race
Entry A-class
Overview 1080p

Last edited:
Standing water at the beginning seemed to be always 55-56%. But the cloud formations in the weather radar were different on each slot, so I guess it could theoretically dry up faster or slower depending on the race. But in the 3 slots I did, you could have risked it for slicks after laps 6 or 7 and track was definitely good enough for slicks after lap 8 or so, so if there were differences, they were minor.
Well, that seems pretty cool. Some type of variation at least.

Did the third and final slot of yesterday’s race. Besides me and one other person, the lobby was full of A+ drivers, so I was in a very strong room. Qualified 15th. Race was going smoothly and I pitted on lap 8 for Soft tires. However, while exiting the pits I stepped on the throttle a little too hard, causing the car to propel enough to leave the pit lane, giving me a 3 second penalty. :ouch:

Fortunately, I still had a lot of boost left, so I used it to make up as much time as I could for the remainder of the race. I managed to climb up to 10th and finished there for a decent 191 points, considering how competitive the lobby was. But I'm sure I would've finished a bit higher if it weren't for that pit lane penalty.

Last edited:
Going to a wet race with SFs without Mistah_MCA's guides was scary. Thank god I went with the IM tires throughout the entire race. Somehow I managed to get to the top 3 spots from 6th position in the last 3 laps. That was where I could felt my heart exiting my body as the rear was completely dead. A last lap first corner overtake gave me first, and 263 points in total.
At least the next round involves no strategy whatsoever.
Gran Turismo® 7_20220703203948.png

Last edited:
2022 Gazoo Racing GT Cup - Round 5
Toyota GR86/BRZ
Autopolis - 10 Laps

Slot 1 -
After missing round 4, I needed to land some good points to try and sneak back into the top 20 in my region. I'm not particularly good at the street cars, but I did like this GR86 around Autopolis. My pace wasn't outstanding, but after beating a top split regular in a practice race, my confidence was high. When the lobby opened up, I had @C_Raccoon23 in the lobby! It was 2nd split and it was good see my old rodent friend in the lobby!!

During qualifying, I wanted to ramp up my times. I figured I had 4 shots at a good lap so I started conservative with a banker and just tried to add pace as I went deeper into qualy. I must say, I had a good laugh at all the horns going off on the outlap. It actually relaxed me a bit and I set a good enough time to end up on pole! Thats two Gazoo Racing Cups in a row I managed a pole. But, getting pole and finishing first are two different things. So, I had to put on the "stay calm and race on" shirt and hit those apexes.

Stay calm I did, as I had p2 latched to my back bumper for nearly all 10 laps. He launched a serious assault on lap 5 when I went a hair deep into T1. He sent it down the inside where I managed to hold him off through turns 2 through 5 and all the way to the hairpin. I'm guessing he was hoping I'd go deep with all the pressure and just sent it down the inside. Except, I was there. Nearly spun me out, but luckily I was able to catch the car. He gave back the position by backing off after the punt. Afterwards, I maintained about a 0.3 to 1.5 second gap for the remainder of the race. Took home a big win and gathered up 245 points. Not a HUGE haul, but good enough.

Last edited:
I got robbed...
I went ahead yesterday and did the last two slots of Autopolis (didn't manage to get there in time for first slot).
My first race I was a filler for top split and finished all the way in the back - just too quick for me.

Race 2 was a bit better, a bit more fillers so it was a bit more competitive in the back of the field.

I was running in P10 with P8 and P9 just in front, until the last corners where my game encountered a weird bug. I had massive slow downs, the game basically stopped for me here and there, and the others continued on as usual. So I lost 3 places and 49 points.

I had this bug once before but that was in lobbies and I blamed them for that. No idea why this happened. The Playstation was running smoothly, not hot, and the Playstation UI worked fine at the same time...

This is how it looked like:

Last edited:
I got robbed...
I went ahead yesterday and did the last two slots of Autopolis (didn't manage to get there in time for first slot).
My first race I was a filler for top split and finished all the way in the back - just too quick for me.

Race 2 was a bit better, a bit more fillers so it was a bit more competitive in the back of the field.

I was running in P10 with P8 and P9 just in front, until the last corners where my game encountered a weird bug. I had massive slow downs, the game basically stopped for me here and there, and the others continued on as usual. So I lost 3 places and 49 points.

I had this bug once before but that was in lobbies and I blamed them for that. No idea why this happened. The Playstation was running smoothly, not hot, and the Playstation UI worked fine at the same time...

This is how it looked like:

I was one of the few cars that benefited from this. It was really odd as the lobby had been extremely stable with no lag that I could see right up until this happened. Basically your car started lagging all over the place and you went from 3 cars ahead of me, to behind me. If I get on later I'll share the replay and tag you in it so you can see how it looked.

On topic, this was my only entry for this round and I was way out of my depth in that lobby! I guess that can happen in the last slot of a low turnout championship.

Maybe the PS was running too hot and succumbed? :scared:
No, the console was running fine. I checked if it was hot and, while it was warm, it was within expectations. The fan was nowhere near maximum speed, just normal.
Also, when it happened to me before in a lobby, I just went back to the main menu or restarted the game (don't quite remember which), joined the lobby again and continued racing for quite a long time without any issues.

But what @watto79 says it's quite interesting. Even if it was lag from my side (which would be unusual but not impossible), this should not be handled by the game the way it was.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back