Toyota Prius (XW30) Super GT GT300 APR Racing #31 2012

• Thread starter kennylmao
  • 37 comments
Chad
Chad
kennylmao
Why? Because there's a whole lotta variety in real life GT300 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_GT#GT300)
but only a handful of them are available in Gran Turismo.

Plus it's a race car with a hybrid powertrain. :drool:

b201331-panasonic-apr-prius-gt.jpg

Article for more info and pics -> http://thenaritadogfight.com/2012/09/18/close-up-apr-hasepro-gt300-toyota-prius/
(Pics in article might be of a car from a different year since it has a different livery but essentially still the same)

For those who don't have the time to read the article, here are the important bits:
Also, I suppose the 3.4 liter Formula-Nippon built RV8K, tuned by Ogawa Jidosha, mounted in the rear of the Prius helps out a tiny bit. Still a hybrid! In fact, it retains the stock hybrid system. The entire system remains the same save for an upgraded battery from the larger Alpha Prius. The engine that the hybrid system assists just happens to not really need any assistance. (haha!)

Here are some videos:

(These are the only decent vids I could find sadly :()

(Below: At 1:11, it launches in EV mode just like the TS030 Hybrid :embarrassed:)

Now, wait.
To those who are gonna say:
"We already have a Prius race car!"
"We don't need another Prius race car!"
"We don't want another Japanese race car!"
The Prius we already have is a fictional race car and this here is a real life race car used in a real racing series.
(Although it might not make much sense to you guys, I just had to put it out there.)

prius-gt-race-car-gt300-modifications.jpg

"Every element of the outer bodywork is custom-made in carbon fibre, though Toyota and team partner APR Racing have been careful to retain the distinctive Prius profile and styling cues. Whole sections of bodywork are secured to the inner steel shell with quick-release fasteners, providing access to vital mechanical elements.

But a Prius wouldn’t be a Prius without a hybrid powerplant, and this GT300 car is no exception to that rule. Amazingly, it still makes use of the original Hybrid Synergy Drive system, though relocated to the passenger footwell for better weight distribution and connected to a slightly larger lithium-ion battery from the Prius+ MPV.

Unlike the standard car, however, the electric motor is not attached to a 1.8-litre Atkinson cycle engine and there is no point looking under the bonnet, because you’ll find nothing there either.

Instead this car now runs a 3.4-litre V8 race engine mounted between the B-pillars and rear axle, delivering torque to the rear wheels via a sequential manual gearbox. It is the same RV8K engine used in Toyota’s Formula Nippon, GT500, and LMP1 competitors, albeit de-tuned from its original 600PS output to meet GT300 regulations. Capping the combined output to 300PS is what allows for such a fascinating variety of car, engine and chassis combinations within this class.

The standard Prius is designed to slip through the air with minimal disturbance. But the low-slung racing Prius uses aerodynamics such as a dry carbon front splitter, rear diffuser and high-level rear wing with Gurney flap to generate drag and adhesion to the track surface, especially around high-speed corners. The widened arches have also been formed with ducting to direct passing air through the wheel wells to cool the brakes."

-blog.toyota.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Just...the whole GT300 roster please. 2014. GT3s are here, PD is mad about Super GT. Please. What else could they be doing.
Well, there are many other people who suggest cars like mine, so I thinks It's okay to just suggest 1 car.

Well, there are many other people who suggest cars like mine, so I thinks It's okay to just suggest 1 car.
Oh no, it wasn't a complaint. I'd love to see the Prius alone, but the whole GT300 roster is what one wants.

For some strange reason, I can't see the picture in the OP.

Can you try posting it again please?

Threads rarely get deleted on GTP, just locked, and you can't do that, only a moderator can do the job.

Back