Toyota Reveals 257hp GR Yaris Rally Homologation Special

Reading online the vast majority of people absolutely hate the interior. I think that's a shame. It has that old school 80s/90s cockpit vibe to it like @Keef mentioned. I think a lot of car enthusiasts simply prefer style over substance. I'll take that cuckoon feeling over any glitzy swoopy modern trend any day.

View attachment 1319224
For me the turn off isn't the driver focused cockpit (in fact I like it) but the boxy shape of the whole dash and the big flat structureless plasticarea just looks super cheap.

For me the turn off isn't the driver focused cockpit (in fact I like it) but the boxy shape of the whole dash and the big flat structureless plasticarea just looks super cheap.
That is understandable, I think I have a weird soft spot for the cheap and nasty 90s japanese interiors that are in so many of their sports cars, it has a nostalgic feel because of that. I guess objectively that's a weird thing but hey that's where my brain is at

I'm of the opinion that most car interiors these days are recklessly over-styled. I prefer more simple geometric shapes which tend to have retro vibes due to trends in the 80s and 90s. Comebine those basic old shapes with modern materials and details and textures and you get great things.

90s cars with canted cockpit interiors like the refresh C4 and Supra and the FD3S all had much more interesting, cooler looking interiors than the sports cars of the latter half of the decade that looked more like family sedans (it took the Corvette 20 years to recover); but Toyota still probably could have done a better job than making it look like an 80s Pontiac with modern accoutrements.

Yes, it would've looked better if they blended it more with the dash. They could've at least rounded the corner. But if it works better than the previous car, than that is a decent trade off.

The interior is amazing. It’s super utilitarian and the location of every little thing has a purpose. Someone making a car where functionality comes first without exception, in 2024- laden in a world of rgb strip club lights and massive screens and the facade of tech- is really refreshing.

The interior is amazing. It’s super utilitarian and the location of every little thing has a purpose. Someone making a car where functionality comes first without exception, in 2024- laden in a world of rgb strip club lights and massive screens and the facade of tech- is really refreshing.
I'm not sure about this. I think it's probably not as utilitarian as you are making it out to be - in fact it seems indistinguishable from the prior design from an ergonomics point of view. The only functional difference is that there is no longer a tuning (?) knob on the infotainment (-1 utility) and no physical buttons on the infotainment (versus 8 on the previous version). Everything else is pretty much the same, just slightly differently located. I think this is mostly a design direction thing, and while the concept (driver-focused dash) is...fine...I don't think this one looks particularly nice. It looks like an ambulance cockpit or something. All those 90s cars posted elsewhere in this thread have a lot more finesse in the design...this thing is simply without finesse...which is inexcusable.

I finally know what this was making me think of, specifically.

1705677529146.png

1705677690933.png

Last edited:
I just realized that in Japan they have the GR Yaris look-alike model but with a 1.5L NA engine and FWD.

Latest Posts

Back