Toyota Reveals 257hp GR Yaris Rally Homologation Special

260hp in an AWD Yaris. We need more cars like this.
But 3 cylinders (1000ccm?) and 260hp? Will it be able to survive 100k km with 1 engine?
Well, this thing is a Toyota but what do you think will happen once its turbocharger gets busted?

But 3 cylinders (1000ccm?) and 260hp? Will it be able to survive 100k km with 1 engine?

Right at the beginning of the sixth paragraph, below the engine picture: "There’s a new, 1.6-liter turbo engine too".

This is one of the most exciting cars that Toyota has ever produced, at least since the Celica GT-Four and Mark IV Supra. Suddenly, Toyota seem way less mundane releasing this little beast into the world. I'm a fan.

Well, this thing is a Toyota but what do you think will happen once its turbocharger gets busted?
Right at the beginning of the sixth paragraph, below the engine picture: "There’s a new, 1.6-liter turbo engine too".
^ This, and... the same thing as literally any other turbocharged car in the world if the turbo goes. It being fairly small capacity doesn't really make a difference.

It's on par with an similarly sized Audi S1. A little more expensive, a little more power but a touch more weight too. I believe Toyota/Gazoo will make it a more playful, driver-focused chassis though.

You missed the bit where I linked to a document of true mid-engined cars. Front-mids, while a great step in the right direction, still don't provide what a true mid-engined car can.
Sure, but you can still just pull it back and have it in the middle--behind the driver. A great many true mid-engine production cars utilize transverse FWD powerpacks to drive the rear wheels (the single example in that link--a Matra Murena--had the transaxle from a Citroën CX), and people even do their own mid-engine conversions in this manner.

GR Yaris with an aero kit spotted at Nurb

_sb36683.jpg

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-gr-yaris-modified-prototype-spotted-nurburgring

Not digging the old school center stack. Love the taillights. Everything evolutionary is damn cool. AUD price is probably going to be nuts, since it’s a better thought out car than the first model. I’d have one though.

Not digging the old school center stack. Love the taillights. Everything evolutionary is damn cool. AUD price is probably going to be nuts, since it’s a better thought out car than the first model. I’d have one though.
I kinda like the old one more in terms of looks tbh

I kinda like the old one more in terms of looks tbh
Update is busy, but I’m taking note of the function over aesthetics. Knowing why the car looks the way it does, I can see the old and new as nearly two separate cars. That’s just me.
I guess since Toyota addressed those driver issues of vision and seat height, the old one might be the one to avoid. Even if it is easier on the eyes.

Pretty mild exterior refresh, but that's fine, the old one was spot on for what it was.

This new interior though :yuck:

As its a Toyota it will no doubt be solid, but it just looks plasticy as hell.

Toyota put the GR Yaris engine in the Lexus LBX for the LBX Morizo RR Concept

Launched last year, the LBX is a premium variant of the Yaris Cross, and at the 2024 Tokyo Auto Salon, Toyota's luxury division showcased a concept powered by the G16E-GTS unit.

Smaller than the UX available in the United States, the LBX now packs a mighty 300-horsepower punch from its turbocharged 1.6-liter engine. The inline-three unit produces 295 pound-feet of torque, perfectly matching the GR Corolla Morizo Edition. Interestingly, the performance crossover also bears the Morizo moniker, the nickname of Toyota's chairman, Akio Toyoda.

1705086646532.png

1705086670104.png

I prefer the new one. Reminds me of some 80s and 90s cars that had those goofy cockpit-style dashboards. It looks a lot less like an economy car and a lot more driver-focused.

supra interior.jpg

8 series interior.jpg

I'm sure there are other examples.

Last edited:
While the new interior is understandably not to everyone's taste, I get what they were going for with the retro vibe and I appreciate the approach for that. I would also throw that it is somewhat reminiscent of the Lancia Delta Integrale's interior, with the squared-off area surrounding the driver
1705162258515.png

Reading online the vast majority of people absolutely hate the interior. I think that's a shame. It has that old school 80s/90s cockpit vibe to it like @Keef mentioned. I think a lot of car enthusiasts simply prefer style over substance. I'll take that cuckoon feeling over any glitzy swoopy modern trend any day.

418473878_10160602200008037_3895628750555188830_n.jpg

Last edited:
The center stack housing really looks like from Knight Rider and RoboCop. Still, it’s not even a deal breaker. The current car is about $55,000 AUD. Right now, I’d have this over the GR Corolla. Love short cars.

Back