Toyota Supra (A90)

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by RocZX, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

How the heck can you slot in below the 86? Lol. Is it going to be a kei-spotsu-car?

2. Endless-Wilso

Endless-Wilso

Below the the 86 GT !!

MR2 they say :scared:

3. Ddrizle

Ddrizle

No thanks, I'd rather Toyota just leave the MR2 in it's current dead & forgotten state if it's to be slotted below the 86.

4. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

If they want to do a cheap MR2 below the FR-S, it wouldn't be too difficult. A small, MR design with the itty-bitty 1.5L from the Yaris. Assuming the car is light enough, the 107 BHP output should be more than adequate to have fun and keep up with Toyota's "green" persona.

5. Bram Turismo

Bram Turismo Premium

Wasn't the MR-S a 150 hp rear engined 2-seater? A possible new MR-S gen?

6. oopssorryy

oopssorryy

I would love for the styling to return to the MR2 MK1. Like an origami on wheels.

If Toyota made a light, mid engine, MR2, what would it be competing against? The FR-S I'd already competing against the Miata, so would this be another competitor? What would be rivaling it?

7. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid Premium

Didn't the old MR-2 faced off against the Miata?

In this case, it'll probably usher in a new segment if successful or flop completely.

The price has to be right.

8. Public'sTwin

Public'sTwin

I had a thought: couldn't a 3.0 6 cylinder achieve similar performance results as a turbo 6 of equal displacement if it had a secondary electric (ie hybrid) motor in addition? I know it wouldn't produce similar top power gains (translating to higher top speeds), but my thinking is that the immediate low-rpm torque response would be amazing, which is what recycling combustion engines, by definition, are weak in. Y/N?

9. oopssorryy

oopssorryy

Toyota has been talking about kres with the FR-s so seeing it in a Supra wouldn't be to far off. But Toyota's sixes have always been good down low.

10. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

I don't see why it would be so bad. The 86 should have been priced lower anyway, so something in the $18-21k area would be fantastic, especially if it's MR.

11. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

It would be carving out it's own market. So, if sales were strong, I'd imagine that others would follow. That being said, word is that Porsche is looking to a sub-Boxster again. Or, if VW told them to bugger-off and did it themselves, that'd be the same kind of market. In a weird way, this would also go up against the new Alfa Romeo 4C, albeit half the price.

12. Doog

Doog Premium

So apparently Toyota's considering making the next Supra an EV...

[​IMG]

13. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid Premium

I'll see it to believe it.

Or call it something else.

14. Rick74

Rick74

An ev supra?? Garbage ... It'll probably look like garbage. They shoul bring back the supra as a super car.

15. AudiMan2011

AudiMan2011 Contributing Writer

I think that a new Supra needs to come from the BMW-Toyota sports car collaboration deal that was announced in June.

Quote from Autocar in June
    The M Division know how to make some of the best driver's cars in the world (M3 E30, E46 M3 CSL, Z4M, 1M Coupe), so if a new Supra were to be built by M, it would be good.

16. VspecZR1GT2RS89

VspecZR1GT2RS89

This.

What great news! Excellent info man. :D:tup:

Could ///M and TRD work on designing a inline 6 TT or V6 TT with state-of-the-art technology in hybrid engineering?

Because they both are working on hybrids/electric tech, but these two automotive giants are the leaders when it comes to inline designed engines (M3's E30-E46 engines and Toyota's 2JZ, 3SG, 1ZZ I4s and I6s). And even though they have their flaws, these engines are impressive works of their engineering IMO.

Could they actually do a Hybrid system with a inline 6 block with Twin Turbo configuration? Good on gas, but can run in the 500-700hp range, even if they give it 480hp, how would the car fair out with the GT-R, C7 Vette, SRT GTS, NSX, Aventador and the 911 GT2 as it rivals?

Just giving out a idea I had for awhile about the MK5 JZA90 new engine.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  17. myshofer

myshofer

yes,

18. Endless-Wilso

Endless-Wilso

Believe it or not I've seen some super rare Ferrari's some Lambo's two SLS's and plenty more but I saw my 1st MK5 Supra today :lol: red with chrome wheel's .

19. ShobThaBob

ShobThaBob Premium

No, you didn't.

20. Nish

Nish

Surely he meant the IV :lol:.

21. Endless-Wilso

Endless-Wilso

Oh sorrys i got my numerals wrong , yes i meant IV

Havent been sleeping much lately :lol:

22. Luminis

Luminis

Yeah, the JZA80 is very rare, indeed. I've only seen one in the metal - I've actually seen more Aventadors (two, in fact) than that :lol:

23. sumbrownkid

sumbrownkid Premium

My family looks at me weird whenever I point out a Supra in public.

Hey if you don't find that car epic, then something is wrong with you.

24. DavidtheGT20

DavidtheGT20

Ugly as heck. Futuristic, but I'd have an updated JZA80 with a better 2JZ.

25. RocZX

RocZX Premium

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  26. Luminis

Luminis

Toyota wouldn't even have to come up with a different name. Supra RZ for the normal one, Supra E for the EV, done.

27. Ddrizle

Ddrizle

End of 2017 launch?

Hopefully Yamaha somehow gets in on the next Supra.

28. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Hmm...

http://wot.motortrend.com/report-to...4-hybrid-powertrain-324703.html#axzz2KbdjvB3T
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802825

Not sure how I feel about that.

29. TilDawn

TilDawn

A new Supra successor has been talked about here and there for the past decade. With the success of the new 86, I'm just glad Toyota is back to making sports cars again.

30. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

I know it's been a rumour before, but I just want to clarify: BMW best be working on an I6, not V6.

I also find it strange they'd bother using the 86's platform for the Z4; it doesn't really fit with the car's market position these days, and they have a perfectly fine platform for it as is.