Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
Well I have seen the car IRL and I must say that I really loved the look when it drove around the Nürburgring. But when I stood next to it I was shocked how small this car looks compared to the MK4 Supra. The new one is just a bit bigger than the GT86. Or at least it felt like that.

But overall the car is much sexier in reallife than on Photos.

Pretty cool behind the scenes for I assume is a commercial

Screenshot_20190215-024751.jpg
Screenshot_20190215-024758.jpg
Screenshot_20190215-024802.jpg

Clicked the link, my laptop spit it out.

My phone doesn't even want to load it.

I'll just post what I said last time:

The hilarious thing is that all this bashing from the A80 fans is legitimately pointless considering that the most any automotive journo has gotten with the A90 Supra is a controlled first drive of the car. I'd be able to at least not laugh their complaints out of the building instantly if they waited until magazines and sites were able to actually give comparisons and tests, both short and long term. Until then - all of this whining and the hissyfits being thrown is literally for nothing.

Once I learned about whats gone into this car, how and why it came to be as it came to be I shed my ignorance Just a Z4 with Toyota clothing hating attitude.

Learning the behind the scenes details garnered new respect from me and I can't wait to see it up close.

The reasons I didn't like the GR Supra at first turn out to not really hold water.

For Me

I thought this was just a Z4 chassis and drivetrain with some Toyota body panels and badges :/

I later learned that the old Z4 had been discontinued, BMW had no plans on another Z4. BMW & Toyota liked the partnership with Subaru that bought out the BRZ & 86 and wanted to codevelope a car together. Toyota was firm only to do so if it were a base for a rear wheel drive turbo 6 coupe :D with a bunch of turbo 6 rwd sedans already BMW thought it best to REVIVE the Z4 and in PLATFORM development create something to support both coupe and roadster. The development of the Platform was done and then went 2 separate ways. BMW developped the Z4 chassis around the platform & Toyota developed the Supra chassis.

So the Supra DOES NOT SHARE its Chassis with the Z4 only its platform. The Platform does use a BMW drivetrain and M premium suspension components but each car was refined seperatly around the different chassis. The M componants premium like the M cars E diff.

The Engine is new and was under development by BMW but to go in a branded Toyota it had to be further developed by Toyota to meet Toyota's reliability standards. The end result is a BMW 3.0L Turbo Slant 6 with Toyota reliability.

Front Engine 3.0L Turbo 6 Rear Wheel Drive what the problem is?

My only gripe is the styling seems a bit dialed down from the sexy sexy FT-1but it is what it is Concept to Production.

The reasons I didn't like the GR Supra at first turn out to not really hold water.

For Me

I thought this was just a Z4 chassis and drivetrain with some Toyota body panels and badges :/

I later learned that the old Z4 had been discontinued, BMW had no plans on another Z4. BMW & Toyota liked the partnership with Subaru that bought out the BRZ & 86 and wanted to codevelope a car together. Toyota was firm only to do so if it were a base for a rear wheel drive turbo 6 coupe :D with a bunch of turbo 6 rwd sedans already BMW thought it best to REVIVE the Z4 and in PLATFORM development create something to support both coupe and roadster. The development of the Platform was done and then went 2 separate ways. BMW developped the Z4 chassis around the platform & Toyota developed the Supra chassis.

So the Supra DOES NOT SHARE its Chassis with the Z4 only its platform. The Platform does use a BMW drivetrain and M premium suspension components but each car was refined seperatly around the different chassis. The M componants premium like the M cars E diff.

The Engine is new and was under development by BMW but to go in a branded Toyota it had to be further developed by Toyota to meet Toyota's reliability standards. The end result is a BMW 3.0L Turbo Slant 6 with Toyota reliability.

My only gripe is the styling seems a bit dialed down from the sexy sexy FT-1but it is what it is Concept to Production.
I'm excited to see how quick it is around a track and how much quicker it is over the A70 & A80, on March 5. ;)

Fuji Speedway seems like the appropriate track for my first run "in" it.

For Me

Problem is its a bmw with bmw parts manufactured by BMW, if people want that just buy a 2 series or a M2. Just get the real damn thing. Benz and even Jaguar can build a new I6 of their own, yet toyota needs bmw lol. Its pathetic.

If you think this car will be any more reliable than any other bmw then i got some beans to sale you.

Styling issue is the design does not fit the short wheel base of the Z4 chassis. There is no magic that can make the ft1 design language look good on too short a chassis.

All the fake vets really make it even worse in real life.

Problem is its a bmw with bmw parts manufactured by BMW, if people want that just buy a 2 series or a M2. Just get the real damn thing. Benz and even Jaguar can build a new I6 of their own, yet toyota needs bmw lol. Its pathetic.

If you think this car will be any more reliable than any other bmw then i got some beans to sale you.

Styling issue is the design does not fit the short wheel base of the Z4 chassis. There is no magic that can make the ft1 design language look good on too short a chassis.

All the fake vets really make it even worse in real life.
What, you expected Toyota to spend... (Thinks of Chrysler 200/Dodge Dart multiple billion dollar price tag)... Probably hundreds of millions of dollars on a engine just for a low volume semi-affordable sports car?

Problem is its a bmw with bmw parts manufactured by BMW, if people want that just buy a 2 series or a M2.

True it uses M parts, its not the same type of car as a 2 series. If you want a M2 by all means get one. Not sure why you're hating on M performance parts over Toyota lmfao kidding me

How many M cars have you owned? Maybe you have had a bad experience with your M cars parts?

Just get the real damn thing. Benz and even Jaguar can build a new I6 of their own, yet toyota needs bmw lol. Its pathetic.

Fair point they will use a BMW engine, over fully developing their own new engine for a low production volume vehicle :/ in a perfect world it would be nice, but Toyota has moved on from straight 6 engines they don't have other high volume cars to use a newly developed straight 6. They had a choice to use something different or keep part of the originals recipe alive using a BMW 3.0L straight 6 as they've been using in cars for a while, still do and happen to have a new version in development.....

Ahh but some guys who've never owned old Supras or have intentions of buying a new one wont like it....

Not sure anybody who counts cares.

Now Before BMWs newly developed engine was approved Toyota had to do its own developement on the engine to push its reliability. :D

I very much believe a newly developped engine you know nothing about that was further developed by Toyota specifically for improved reliability certainly will be more reliable than any other BMW... Get your Beans but I figure you got no beans...

They made it work, the 2 cars exist (0_0)

We've been asking for a New Supra and those who matter welcome the real world efforts that brought it to us while kids stuck in fantacy land dreaming of 1000whp Supras for So You Think You're Fast videos have one more thing to cry about in moms basement.

Last edited:

For Me

The chassis is about as shared as can be considering the blueprint for it was agreed upon by both manufacturers before development began.
"We agreed on the packaging," Kai said at a Supra event in Madrid, "like where is the hip-point of the driver, what's the wheelbase, the width, where's the fuel tank, where's the A-pillar, this was around the middle of 2014. After that we completely separated our team. After that, no communication with each other." Not even Christmas cards?
The Supra and Z4 share a jointly-developed rear-drive platform. Their chassis components are identical, though each automaker will use its own unique tooling and calibration. When production begins, the two cars will be built side-by-side at Magna Steyr’s factory in Graz, Austria.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a23317597/2019-toyota-supra-prototype-drive/

Both chassis are also built together at Magna Steyr which kind of reinforces that shared body.

Not that I think this is a bad thing. BMW has (or used to, haven't driven a Z model in years) made some fun cars to drive, much in part to their chassis & suspension development.

Platforms co developed, then went separate ways for chassis Development. Certainly the Supra will be using M suspension componants on its Chassis, but after the Platform was developed the two companies developed the chassis seperatly.

Skip to 12:48

Last edited:
Nah, dude wants a Camaro to show off quarter mile times like that means anything else in the world other then internet dick waving.

That camaro will smash the bmw zupra on any track, and yes it has a proper amount of power for the buck.

But lets pretend it can't handle.

We've been asking for a New Supra and those who matter welcome the real world efforts that brought it to us while kids stuck in fantacy land dreaming of 1000whp Supras for So You Think You're Fast videos have one more thing to cry about in moms basement.

lol i own the real thing, you can live your F&F dreams in a bmw.

@Supaboost

Own what real thing?

Mk4 Supra? Stock?

If you're a Mk4 owner, you got me on that one... Is it 1000whp?

F&F Dreams? Sure bout that lol

Camaro doing what in the 1/4?

Jealous of what exactly?

Do you have A Mk4 Supra 1000whp?

Can I see it?

Are you sure about me having only F&F dreams?

Somebody said something about a Camaro being fast in the 1/4, what is it running?

Jealous of what exactly?

Do you have A Mk4 Supra 1000whp?

Can I see it?

Are you sure about me having only F&F dreams?

Somebody said something about a Camaro being fast in the 1/4, what is it running?

something clearly, your pathetic attitude shows some internal problem you have.

deal with your issues bud.

something clearly, your pathetic attitude shows some internal problem you have.

deal with your issues bud.

You seem to have the issue Kiddo, your saying Im jealous so Im curious what I'm supposed to be Jealous of.

You INCINUATE like You've got a Mk4 Supra Im supposed to be Jealous of so I've asked about it. Do you have a mk4 Supra? Is it Stock or 1000whp?

Since you've been dodging answering preffering to play childish games Im guessing you don't.

Do you have a Camaro? Is it fast? 1/4 times to brag about?

You said all I have was F&F dreams so Im jealous. I've asked if you are sure about that..

Why all the dodging bobbing and weaving what's you got Im supposed to be jealous of?

Man up, what you got Bud

Back