Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
Not keen. Love the idea of it obviously, but the design leaves a lot to be desired.

Pointy noses almost always look ungainly on modern cars. There's too little cohesion between the soft curves on the upper surfaces and the harsh slashes below. The window in the hood looks daft, and the rear, while probably the best aspect of it (unless the spoiler is raised, at which point it looks a mess) still looks rather "busy".

Proportionally it's nice, but then the Viper and the Corvette, both of which have a long nose and cab-back cockpit, both do that a little better too.

Bottom line: Whatever engine they put in it, I'd still prefer a GT86.

It's very evident that Toyota wants to be cool again, but it's almost as though they're trying too car. The car looks good, but not great. You can see design elements that are homages to other sports cars, but they're just not that interesting. It's more or less of a thing where I feel like saying, "Thanks for showing us this thing Toyota. I appreciate that you want to make sports cars again. So, instead of fooling around with seven different concepts, just turn the styling down 35% and put it into production."

So, be prepared for eleventy-seven different concepts, half of which will show up in Gran Turismo. The final product won't show up until 2018.

Like I said in that other thread, I feel it looks like the "supercar of the month from a company no one's heard of before with ridiculous performance claims". There's no real identity to it, it's like they copied different parts of recent supercars, and ended up with that. There's a bit of GT-R, C7 & C6 ZR1, SLS, P1, F12, Sagaris, Vanquish, LaFerrari, 918, Veyron even... and no Toyota DNA whatsoever. If this is supposed to be a precursor to the MKV Supra, at least make it look like a Supra. It's just a generic front-engined, RWD coupe at this point.

As a Toyota man, I gotta say this car makes me very happy to see! :) It looks kickass to boot. And hold up people, when did Toyota say it was gonna be the successor to the Supra? All they said was that it was a nod to their previous sports coupes by...well being a sports coupe. I feel that Toyota have been in a rut in terms of sports cars lately is because they hold back on making cars until they know they're as good as they can build them, and since they've been focusing on hybrids for a while they haven't really been able to sit down and make a good one. Or hell they're just being evaluated until Toyota know that car's gonna be a damn good and quick car.

I seriously dig that car and I cannot wait to get behind the wheel on that in GT6 :P

Toyota's still got it imo~

If this is supposed to be a precursor to the MKV Supra, at least make it look like a Supra. It's just a generic front-engined, RWD coupe at this point.

It would save them a lot of time with the 37 concepts that will follow trying to make it look more like a street car.

And hold up people, when did Toyota say it was gonna be the successor to the Supra?
Whether it is or it isn't, there's no excuse for the jumble of design cues they've put in this one. I couldn't care less for Supras, but if 50% of a car like this is the driving experience, the other 50% is styling - and I'm not sure they quite knew what they wanted to achieve with this one.

Whether it is or it isn't, there's no excuse for the jumble of design cues they've put in this one. I couldn't care less for Supras, but if 50% of a car like this is the driving experience, the other 50% is styling - and I'm not sure they quite knew what they wanted to achieve with this one.

I have a good feeling they just wanted to make a Super-Sports car to rival the likes of the C7 Vette and maybe the GT-R. Just by looking at the car you can tell it's built to be aerodynamically efficient, with those side vents and the streamlined roof channeling air into the retractable spoiler. They probably won't even build the thing in real life, and it is ultimately just for a game right now. I get the feeling Toyota just wanted to make a cool new car for us GT fans to enjoy and blitz a track in.

But that's just me, and I only have high hopes for this car because I own a fun Toyota car too, and I like seeing Toyota trying to re-invent their image showing that not just old people drive Camrys and Priuses :P

I don't mind it, and it looks good from the rear, but I don't understand the huge side vents for a car that isn't mid engined.

Once it sinks in for a bit it looks better than that first glimpse, but it definitely resembles an overcooked TVR with Toyota badges. The swollen nose needs adjustment and the flanks seem like they belong on a different car, but the Bangle-butt-esque execution of the rear lip/spoiler is the worst:

ft1_butt.jpg

The lonely, misaligned Toyota emblem is comical.

It's growing me on, now. I didn't want to comment until it properly processed in my mind. And I see an evolution of numerious Toyota/Lexus concepts, over anything else. Which is a good thing.

Is it a competition to see who can make the car more people will gawk at now? Sure, people will notice, but how many of those people who notice it will like it?

It's kinda like walking down the street and seeing naked people or something - sure, you'll notice it, but then you'll quickly turn your head away and shudder at what you wish you hadn't seen... :mad:

I think this thing looks absolutely awesome. Looking forward to the production model. :D

And is this the actual concept of the Supra? Is FT-1 just a place holder name?

Looks like a melted current gen Ferrari, I'm not digging the curvy shapes everywhere. The old concept was much better IMO.

Not keen on the nose, but the rest looks quite decent.

If this is the product of the BMW-Toyota sports car partnership and if it goes into production, I think it'll either share running gear (engine, transmission, suspension) with the new M4, or maybe the M division and TRD could work together to develop a new 3JZ inline-6 engine.

Apparently Toyota just realized how much they're going to look like a bunch of fools when the Super GT season will start and while Honda will field the new NSX and Nissan the GT-R they're going racing in a Lexus GS.

Honestly I'm kinda loving a lot the styling of this car; very muscular and aggressive, with proportions that emphasize the FR layout of the car - which, I'd like to remind you, was the Supra's hat.

The denomination of the car leads me to believe Toyota may be pulling a FT-86 on this one, testing the waters with a very preliminary concept car, then improving upon their design based on the feedback they receive and finally hitting the market with the finished product in a couple of years. I think that's a quite clever approach that allows them to be daring and successful (but perhaps not at the same time) with their designs.

I have a good feeling they just wanted to make a Super-Sports car to rival the likes of the C7 Vette and maybe the GT-R. Just by looking at the car you can tell it's built to be aerodynamically efficient, with those side vents and the streamlined roof channeling air into the retractable spoiler. They probably won't even build the thing in real life, and it is ultimately just for a game right now. I get the feeling Toyota just wanted to make a cool new car for us GT fans to enjoy and blitz a track in.
Maybe its me or I have no idea what I am talking about but wasn't that the original point of the LF-A until they went crazy with the CF and tech?

Maybe its me or I have no idea what I am talking about but wasn't that the original point of the LF-A until they went crazy with the CF and tech?
I don't remember, I think Lexus just wanted to build their definition of the perfect car. Maybe Toyota's just making their definition of a great sports car. I dunno man I just like Toyotas a lot I don't work for them! XD

I sorta see what people are on about with the nose, but I don't think its that bad. I think if the nose was abit lower ( at least to the tips of the headlight accents), it might be an improvement as I feel it would give the lines an actual point to taper off to.

Overall, I really love the look of this car.

If this is supposed to be a precursor to the MKV Supra, at least make it look like a Supra. It's just a generic front-engined, RWD coupe at this point.

Then again, in a way, the Supra should be exactly that. I can't think of a much more generic late '80s RWD coupe shape than the MkIII Supra, and finding a more generic '90s RWD coupe than the MkIV is a seriously tough challenge. But this new creation certainly isn't generic, they've tried too much with the rear and especially with the front. Applying more LFA design cues and then sanding the sharpest corners off would produce a car that might be a bit bland compared to this but then it would also be much more of a Supra again.

I think anyone who thinks this is the Next Gen Supra is abit too optimistic. Seems like people are way too quick to label a sportscar made by Toyota "The next gen Supra".

This is about as Supra as people claimed the FT-HS concept was in 2007.

Falling for the same trap. The FT-HS also was revealed at the North American International Auto Show

This is about as Supra as people claimed the FT-HS concept was in 2007.

Falling for the same trap. The FT-HS also was revealed at the North American International Auto Show

I think anyone who thinks this is the Next Gen Supra is abit too optimistic. Seems like people are way too quick to label a sportscar made by Toyota "The next gen Supra".

But that is what Toyota themselves have been pumping. From how they attribute the design, to it's power. Everyone there is feeding that seed. For all intents and purposes, this is to fill the gap the Supra left behind. May not be called it, but that's irrelevant.

Back