Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
It's a hard pass from meee.

Edit: Really didn't intend for that to come off as sing-songy.

:lol:

Not sure what happened there at the end.

Last edited:
Yeah agreed. Though they could have made the hood more inspired by the old 3000GT instead of 100% copy, maybe make it more streamline with the body shape of the car. But overall it's great.
For sure. A bit cookie cutter on the hood, but the styling and color is sweet.

Are shopping lists still a thing? - or is that part of the homage too? (although the A80 TRD 3000GT didn't have them on as far as i can recall)

Finally saw one in person. Look a lot better than in pictures I admit. I like it.
IMG_20191109_125705.jpg

IMG_20191109_130426.jpg

Last edited:
Even if it was 100% Toyota designed and built I'd still find all this "it's the A80's successor, honest" marketing insecure and embarrassing :(

Even if it was 100% Toyota designed and built I'd still find all this "it's the A80's successor, honest" marketing insecure and embarrassing :(
Which is a bit funny since A70 looked nothing like the A80, yet they are trying so hard to appeas the A80 fans.

The MkIV Supra wing didn't even look good on the MkIV Supra.

Yeah the TRD 3000GT looks better imo.

Last edited:
Four-Cylinder BMW Z4 sDrive30i Hardtop Toyota Supra now offered in Europe, Making its debut with the Fuji Speedway limited edition. What you lose in peak performance and engine sound, you gain in increased agility and better handling (according to Toyota).
2020-Toyota-GR-Supra-2LT-01.jpg

2020-Toyota-GR-Supra-2LT-11.jpg

If the Z4 is anything to go by, this could reduce the starting price of the Supra by at least £5k.

As much as I like it, I think everything below the headlights is in dire need of a facelift already.

Again, Supra is the only model, in Super GT form, that is true to the road car with a 4-cylinder turbo engine. Maybe Honda and Nissan should look into it.

Again, Supra is the only model, in Super GT form, that is true to the road car with a 4-cylinder turbo engine. Maybe Honda and Nissan should look into it.
The engine has been the same well before the Supra was made though.

The engine has been the same well before the Supra was made though.
Honda and Nissan could have made 4-cylinder road car variants before the A90 as well. Add DTM to my point, Mercedes have a 4-cylinder for the C-Class. So, only two out of the six makes in Class 1, show relevance to what the manufacturers sell.

Edit: :lol: Make that three. The BMW "430"i, is a 2L 4. Go figure.

Add DTM to my point, Mercedes have a 4-cylinder for the C-Class. So, only two out of the six makes in Class 1, show relevance to what the manufacturers sell.

Edit: :lol: Make that three. The BMW "430"i, is a 2L 4. Go figure.

Except Mercedes bottled development of a Turbo 4 for DTM and quit the series in 2018. However, Audi's A5 A35 TFSI is a turbo 4, while Aston Martin clearly don't offer a 4 cylinder in anything.

.. not that it matters. The point of silhouette racing with spec engines isn't road relevance.

Road Relevence is an over rated concept, the cars are basically Open Wheeled race cars with a body on them.

Most people are happy that they atleast try to resemble a car they know.

Except Mercedes bottled development of a Turbo 4 for DTM and quit the series in 2018. However, Audi's A5 A35 TFSI is a turbo 4, while Aston Martin clearly don't offer a 4 cylinder in anything.

.. not that it matters. The point of silhouette racing with spec engines isn't road relevance.

Road Relevence is an over rated concept, the cars are basically Open Wheeled race cars with a body on them.

Most people are happy that they atleast try to resemble a car they know.
Ah, yes. Audi as well.
How everyone else feels, is not my point. I'm not Ilooking for a like or agreement. I was making my own point.

Well, people are still complaining about the NSX not being naturally aspirated, having a manual 'box, or looking identical to the old one, so I don't think that really escaped. The R35's been around for so long now I can't actually remember what people thought of it at launch. There were the usual "drives like a Playstation" comments from people who'd only ever actually driven on Playstations but I think what it delivered was so far above its predecessor that it generally had a decent reception from the internet.

I think the R35 has aged incredibly well, possibly because it was so ahead of its time at launch. And it drives brilliantly. The NSX is much better than the internet gives it credit for. I'm less keen on the Supra, but then as most people should know by now, the A80 hardly had glowing reviews back in its day, so actually the A90 is probably as good as a Supra's ever been.

Your hilarious, can't remember r35 reviews but can Mkiv ones from the early 90s. Glowing reviews is exactly what it had, to the point they compared it to Ferraris and Turbo 911s lol. Compared to its tradition competition and relative performance to it, A90 is as weak as a Supra ever been.

Your hilarious, can't remember r35 reviews but can Mkiv ones from the early 90s. Glowing reviews is exactly what it had, to the point they compared it to Ferraris and Turbo 911s lol. Compared to its tradition competition and relative performance to it, A90 is as weak as a Supra ever been.
You have quite the revisionist history. Ferrari's game in the early 90's was weak to the point Honda was their turn around. And the 911 Turbo was a much different animal.
Supra/911 Turbo from C/D
Supra: Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
911 Turbo: Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec

Supra: Zero to 100 mph: 11.1 sec
911 Turbo: Zero to 100 mph: 9.2 sec

Supra: 5–60 mph: 5.9 sec
911 Turbo: 5-60 mph: 5.2 sec

Supra: Standing ¼-mile: 13.1 sec @ 109 mph
911 Turbo: Standing ¼-mile: 12.4 sec @ 114 mph
Car and Drive 911 Turbo conclusion
And sweet crescendos these are. Launch it hard (5500 revs seems to suit the weight distribution, huge rear tires, and sturdy drivetrain) and 4.0 seconds later you're midway through the second banshee chorus, hurtling along at 60 mph.

That leaves every other U.S.-legal production car we've tested sucking the Porsche's catalyzed wake.

You have quite the revisionist history. Ferrari's game in the early 90's was weak to the point Honda was their turn around. And the 911 Turbo was a much different animal.

I never said it bested the 911, maybe actually read what was said. But it was so well reviewed that they put it up against cars from Porsche and Ferrari.

Ferraris game was fine till Japan leap frogged it.

I never said it bested the 911, maybe actually read what was said. But it was so well reviewed that they put it up against cars from Porsche and Ferrari.

Maybe actually brush up on what was being compared back then, instead. It was compared to Porsches, but not a 911 Turbo.
Car and Driver 1993
This is quick.

Quicker than an Acura NSX, a Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo, and a Porsche 928GT—a trio of cars that tackle 60 mph in 5.2 seconds. It's quicker, in fact, than stellar strip artists like the Mazda RX-7, the Corvette LT1, and the Nissan 300ZX Turbo, all three of which perform the same trick in five flat.
Road & Track 1993
The handling, while breathtaking at times with micrometer-precise steering, doesn't have quite the feedback I relish in cars like Porsche's 968.
Ferraris game was fine till Japan leap frogged it.
Ferraris game that lead to a turbocharged pick up truck comparison?
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ne-vs-ferrari-348ts-archived-comparison-test/

Ferraris game in the early-mid 90s was weak & relied on nothing but their marque to move units. It literally took the NSX to completely get Ferrari back into building proper sports cars.

...holy **** is this crusade *still* going?

Imagine continuing to hold onto a burner account you've had for what, two years by this point, just to continue holding the flag for a generation because the car succeeding it isn't what you wanted it to be. All on a sim racing forum, and against people who couldn't two tosses about your frankly hilariously misguided defending of a car you spent over sticker for a used example.

Oh Christ, you again.

I can remember reviews for both cars - Mk4 ones were pretty average, R35 ones were very positive indeed. The Supra could just about compete with Porsches and Ferraris in a straight line (when neither Porsche nor Ferrari was into its stride - the 355 debuted a couple of years after the Supra, while the 996 replaced the ageing aircooled cars in 1997). The R35 though was a genuine rival to both, and at a time when Porsches and Ferraris were both at the top of their game.

What I can't remember (though had a guess at in the post you quoted) is what keyboard warriors like yourself were saying about the R35 when it launched.

It's a Playstation car being the biggest label thrown at it, which seems perverse because I'd expect most of those saying it couldn't handle a 200hp car properly let alone 500+ without high levels of traction and grip engineered in.

Saturday Update; my girlfriend is looking at a used car within the Toyota dealership and the A90 quite literally stopped me in my tracks.

rsz_20200125_103642.png

If I could have it in the blue of the Prius, then I'd be very happy.

rsz_20200125_104024-01.png

Last edited:
Back