Toyota Supra (A90)

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by RocZX, Dec 13, 2011.

1. GTboyz

GTboyz

Yeah agreed. Though they could have made the hood more inspired by the old 3000GT instead of 100% copy, maybe make it more streamline with the body shape of the car. But overall it's great.

2. TexRex

TexRex Premium

It's a hard pass from meee.

Edit: Really didn't intend for that to come off as sing-songy.

:lol:

Not sure what happened there at the end.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  3. 05XR8

05XR8

For sure. A bit cookie cutter on the hood, but the styling and color is sweet.

GTboyz likes this.
  4. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Are shopping lists still a thing? - or is that part of the homage too? (although the A80 TRD 3000GT didn't have them on as far as i can recall)

VXR likes this.
  5. GTboyz

GTboyz

Finally saw one in person. Look a lot better than in pictures I admit. I like it.
    IMG_20191109_125705.jpg
    IMG_20191109_130426.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    TexRex, 05XR8, VXR and 2 others like this.
  6. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Toyota UK with the burn.

[​IMG]

7. Outspacer

Outspacer

Even if it was 100% Toyota designed and built I'd still find all this "it's the A80's successor, honest" marketing insecure and embarrassing :(

8. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

It’s a BMW parts bin car no matter how you look at it. I accepted this a long time ago, lol.

9. TexRex

TexRex Premium

The MkIV Supra wing didn't even look good on the MkIV Supra.

The irony of this post, though. I approve.

:p

ImaRobot, VXR and GTboyz like this.
  10. GTboyz

GTboyz

Which is a bit funny since A70 looked nothing like the A80, yet they are trying so hard to appeas the A80 fans.

Yeah the TRD 3000GT looks better imo.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    VXR likes this.
  11. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

It would be a burn, except it doesn't look good. No thanks ToyotaUK

12. 05XR8

05XR8

13. FT-1

FT-1

Four-Cylinder BMW Z4 sDrive30i Hardtop Toyota Supra now offered in Europe, Making its debut with the Fuji Speedway limited edition. What you lose in peak performance and engine sound, you gain in increased agility and better handling (according to Toyota).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If the Z4 is anything to go by, this could reduce the starting price of the Supra by at least £5k.

14. VXR

VXR

As much as I like it, I think everything below the headlights is in dire need of a facelift already.

15. 05XR8

05XR8

Again, Supra is the only model, in Super GT form, that is true to the road car with a 4-cylinder turbo engine. Maybe Honda and Nissan should look into it.

16. mustafur

mustafur

The engine has been the same well before the Supra was made though.

17. 05XR8

05XR8

Honda and Nissan could have made 4-cylinder road car variants before the A90 as well. Add DTM to my point, Mercedes have a 4-cylinder for the C-Class. So, only two out of the six makes in Class 1, show relevance to what the manufacturers sell.

Edit: :lol: Make that three. The BMW "430"i, is a 2L 4. Go figure.

18. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Except Mercedes bottled development of a Turbo 4 for DTM and quit the series in 2018. However, Audi's A5 A35 TFSI is a turbo 4, while Aston Martin clearly don't offer a 4 cylinder in anything.

.. not that it matters. The point of silhouette racing with spec engines isn't road relevance.

ThePotatoKing and VXR like this.
  19. mustafur

mustafur

Road Relevence is an over rated concept, the cars are basically Open Wheeled race cars with a body on them.

Most people are happy that they atleast try to resemble a car they know.

20. 05XR8

05XR8

Ah, yes. Audi as well.
    How everyone else feels, is not my point. I'm not Ilooking for a like or agreement. I was making my own point.

21. Supaboost

Supaboost

Your hilarious, can't remember r35 reviews but can Mkiv ones from the early 90s. Glowing reviews is exactly what it had, to the point they compared it to Ferraris and Turbo 911s lol. Compared to its tradition competition and relative performance to it, A90 is as weak as a Supra ever been.

22. TexRex

TexRex Premium

23. McLaren

McLaren Premium

You have quite the revisionist history. Ferrari's game in the early 90's was weak to the point Honda was their turn around. And the 911 Turbo was a much different animal.

24. Supaboost

Supaboost

I never said it bested the 911, maybe actually read what was said. But it was so well reviewed that they put it up against cars from Porsche and Ferrari.

Ferraris game was fine till Japan leap frogged it.

25. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Maybe actually brush up on what was being compared back then, instead. It was compared to Porsches, but not a 911 Turbo.
    Ferraris game that lead to a turbocharged pick up truck comparison?
    https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ne-vs-ferrari-348ts-archived-comparison-test/

Ferraris game in the early-mid 90s was weak & relied on nothing but their marque to move units. It literally took the NSX to completely get Ferrari back into building proper sports cars.

VXR likes this.
  26. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows

...holy **** is this crusade *still* going?

Imagine continuing to hold onto a burner account you've had for what, two years by this point, just to continue holding the flag for a generation because the car succeeding it isn't what you wanted it to be. All on a sim racing forum, and against people who couldn't two tosses about your frankly hilariously misguided defending of a car you spent over sticker for a used example.

27. 05XR8

05XR8

I like how after I posted, gears switch and it's something completely different. That ignore mode is strong. :lol:

GTboyz likes this.
  28. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows

CarGuru and RandomCarGuy17 like this.
  29. RandomCarGuy17

RandomCarGuy17

and now I'm getting a new Toyota Supra Poster, even though I haven't hanged any of the other posters I have.

30. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

Oh Christ, you again.

I can remember reviews for both cars - Mk4 ones were pretty average, R35 ones were very positive indeed. The Supra could just about compete with Porsches and Ferraris in a straight line (when neither Porsche nor Ferrari was into its stride - the 355 debuted a couple of years after the Supra, while the 996 replaced the ageing aircooled cars in 1997). The R35 though was a genuine rival to both, and at a time when Porsches and Ferraris were both at the top of their game.

What I can't remember (though had a guess at in the post you quoted) is what keyboard warriors like yourself were saying about the R35 when it launched.