Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
At least the NSX and GTR ended up becoming amazing when they finally release them for production so hopefully the Supra will be the same.

Why does this keep happening? They did it with the FR-S too. We all know how sales are lacking on the NSX because Honda took forever. You think they would learn. People are going to be tired of it by then.
I believe the delay this time is due to the BMW tie-up, and that the Toyota engineers needed to make significant changes to the BMW bits to suit their requirements.

I think Toyota will continue the tease-fest like they did with the 86 & LFA. Except, it will be worse, much, much worse:

Ep.0 = FT-HS (2007)
Ep.1 = FT-1 (2014)
Ep.2 = FT-1 VGT (2014)
Ep.3 = Supra GR Race Concept (2018)
Ep.4 = Supra GR Road CONCEPT (2019)
Ep.5 = BMW Z4 Coupe Concept* (2022)
Ep.8 = Lexus SC300t Concept* (2024)
Ep.6 = Subaru SVX Concept* (2026)
Ep.7 = Scion FR-1 Concept* (2028)
Ep.8 = BMW Z4 VGT Concept* (2030)
Ep.9 = Lexus SC300t VGT* (2032)
Ep.10 = ?????
Ep.100 = [A90] Supra GR production verison (2118)

:lol:

It raced in GTLM which is literally just GTE.

No it's not, literally that, there are changes that set them apart. The class is there so American teams that wish to go to LM but don't want to have to fall under the same regs as GTD have it, plus it's for factory teams and pro drivers like GTE. If it was a GTE car, it would have been allowed to participate in GTE races, it wasn't, IMSA was more than willing to allow it where the FIA/ACO were not.

The mule now features an updated interior, exchanging the dash from the BMW parts bin in favour of an all new digital display (the steering wheel probably isn't final though)
2019-toyota-supra-spy-photo.jpg

2019-toyota-supra-spy-photo.jpg

Motor1 via Supramkv

I'm seriously hoping the wheels in the 5th image appear on the production model.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I just noticed that wheel has an M logo... Probably not then.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I just noticed that wheel has an M logo... Probably not then.

The interior shot (7th image) appears to be the BMW version too. Either that or the Supra will be using current BMW interior design language and parts-bin switch gear.

The interior shot (7th image) appears to be the BMW version too. Either that or the Supra will be using current BMW interior design language and parts-bin switch gear.
It's got Toyota badge on the steering wheel. Will be shocked if Toyota really uses BMW's iDrive and gear lever, but it looks like they will, otherwise they wouldn't use it on such a late mule.

Those rims are still not super cool, but yeah someone said they're just BMW placeholders. Even if they are lame the aftermarket can easily fix that. The shifter's the only thing I'm worried about now, I hate BMW shifters. Hopefully Toyota can make their own take on that, or again aftermarket parts might be able to make it look less like a BMW lol.

The rest of it looks great though, I'm shooting for that to be the first brand new car I buy now.

Just show a production version already for heaven's sake. Every man and his dog knows the details and overall shape of it now it's in GT Sport.

They've got some explaining to do about why it's so small.
Should be same size as the Z4. I haven't checked to see how much bigger that is, next to the outgoing Z4. The 370 is small. Makes sense than having it the size of a GTR, Mustang, etc.

Re: the shifter discussion above, the interior shot of the LHD car definitely isn't the BMW shifter, in contrast to the RHD shot lower down. I expect the functionality will be similar (i.e. a short stubby lever with notches as you move to D or R, P button on the top etc) but it looks like a different physical design. In those LHD car images it looks like there's a fair bit of Lexus influence with those vents and the digital display.
Should be same size as the Z4. I haven't checked to see how much bigger that is, next to the outgoing Z4. The 370 is small. Makes sense than having it the size of a GTR, Mustang, etc.
Yeah, I'm quite pleased that it looks compact, and it does seem similar to the 370Z which is a great size - there's something quite appealing about having a healthy dose of power in a relatively compact footprint. The Cayman and new Alpine are similarly compact (the A110 especially).

There are enough big, heavy sports cars around anyway. The last Supra was pretty big and heavy for the era - more towards the 300ZX and 3000GT end of the scale than NSX/FD RX-7, so it'll be a move in the right direction if the latest one goes the other way.

I don't think it makes more sense. The Mustang and Camaro sell like hotcakes to people in the market for premium-ish cars with style, power, and useability. The 370 and Z4 don't offer that, and don't sell worth a crap because of it. Competing with the 370 is basically suicide because the 370 can barely compete with itself. Now that Hyundai doesn't make the Gen Coupe anymore, the 370 is the lone car in its market. And if there are any others, I can't remember what they are because they don't sell. The Z4 is in a totally different market than the 370 as well.

I don't think it makes more sense. The Mustang and Camaro sell like hotcakes to people in the market for premium-ish cars with style, power, and useability. The 370 and Z4 don't offer that, and don't sell worth a crap because of it. Competing with the 370 is basically suicide because the 370 can barely compete with itself. Now that Hyundai doesn't make the Gen Coupe anymore, the 370 is the lone car in its market. And if there are any others, I can't remember what they are because they don't sell. The Z4 is in a totally different market than the 370 as well.

I don't think the 370z and Z4 sell poorly because they are too small, I think they sell poorly because they are old as ****. :lol:

If the Supra is the size of a 370z but actually a nice car, I don't see why it couldn't sell well. Aiming for Mustang or Camaro sales numbers is probably unrealistic though.

I don't think the 370z and Z4 sell poorly because they are too small, I think they sell poorly because they are old as ****. :lol:

If the Supra is the size of a 370z but actually a nice car, I don't see why it couldn't sell well. Aiming for Mustang or Camaro sales numbers is probably unrealistic though.
The 86/BRZ seems to have done well in its home market. I'd expect the same for the Supra. Outside of Japan, I see a cult following. Maybe not the numbers of pony cars, but I don't think they're aiming to compete with those.

Remember, Mazda have worked with Toyota.
It wasn't so much about Toyota buying into Mazda/Mazda buying into Toyota. Just running through some Australian articles. These are a couple years ago
MX-5 guru Nobuhiro Yamamoto actually helped out Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, because he thought it was a good thing for competing sports car makers to push each other to greater heights
https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/1508/ten-things-you-didn’t-know-about-the-mazda-mx-5
Mr Yamamoto revealed he co-operated with Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada to help make the latter pair better sports cars, because Mazda believes the resulting competition would grow the market and help foster the next generation of enthusiasts, benefiting the entire Japanese car industry.

mazda-mx-5-under-the-microscope

From 2013, talks about the Subaru/Toyota collab(and BMW)
  1. From 2013, talks about the Subaru/Toyota collab(and BMW)
    “Actually we tried to do this secretly but the executives found us out. They said: “what are you doing? Will you please focus on the coupé.” So that was our focal point and it was only with the success of the coupé that we were able to bring out the prototype of the convertible. It would never have existed without the support from you and the customers.

“It’s just my personal dream that the GT86 could become a family like what BMW has done with the Mini family. I hope that happens. I also have five dogs myself and I would like to have them in the car, so a sports shooting break would be just right.

“Actually I am flying to Munich after the [Geneva] motor show for discussion about the future cooperation with BMW. We are already discussing what we can do and the potential results of this collaboration. One of the things we learned from our cooperation with Subaru is how to bring these two different cultures together. Something like the GT86 sports car was particularly difficult in terms of collaboration, but what we can take from it is the experience of figuring out how we can get the obstacles to us working together for us. I am hoping that we can leverage this experience when we work with BMW. So just like we bought the GT86 out of our work with Subaru, I am hoping for a synergy effect with BMW that will result in a product that none of us could have imagined; something more than anyone expects. I would like that to be something like a sports car… I would even go so far as to say that for the collaboration to work we have to bring a product which exceeds all these expectations.

“It is absolutely essential to have great connections with each other that go beyond just pure business logic. I was able to have remarkable encounters with people at Subaru and we had supporters behind us on the Toyota and the Subaru side. I’d even say these connections have to happen if the BMW collaboration is to work. If we carried along the lines of same-old, same-old, then nothing good will come out of this.

“At the moment we are struggling, because we are having this really business-like dealing with BMW and we haven’t really been able to get through that barrier so far. Perhaps I need to meet them socially and drink beer and eat sausage together. In fact the one time I felt we went beyond the business-like barrier was when we all went to Oktoberfest and drank beer. That was the one time, when we were drinking together that I thought, these are unexpectedly good people…

“I have a friend in Mazda, he is chief engineer on the MX-5 and of course they have just announced a cooperation with Alfa Romeo. Because we talk a lot, I know he is going through very tough times because he is trying to get this project rolling. In collaborative projects like we have experienced, there is always going to be a long, long time where you are in doubt about it all, asking yourself, ‘why are we doing this? Why are we in this collaboration? Wouldn’t it be quicker just to do it ourselves?’ – there’s always this period. Luckily for the collaboration on the GT86, we got to a turning point in the collaboration, where we became one team (Team 86) and that goes beyond being Japanese and German, but having a common goal and all working towards the same thing. I’m hoping that the collaboration between Toyota and BMW will at some stage reach the same thing.

“We are investigating several aspects [to this deal] and I assume that it will be much tougher than what we’ve had with the Subaru deal. One thing that makes it difficult is that we don’t have a cross shareholding relationship.”
https://ichitaka05.wordpress.com/tag/mazda/

Toyota choosing a different direction, than simply making a mega MkIV type car to go against GT-R & NSX, hopefully, will make this an overall good sports car.

* Forgets there are places that aren't the USA.

The new Supra looks good except for the front end. I'm probably nitpicking but the front end doesn't seem to be of a sports car.

This pixel manipulation rendering, using spyshots shows what I don't like about this car.

The front fender seems to be too bulky. The distance between the front wheel and the top of the front fender is too big making the front wheels look small. The front end should be more flat IMHO.

2018-toyota-supra-rendering-seems-spot-on-concept-debuting-at-tokyo-motor-show_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back