Toyota TS020 GT-One Road Car 1998

Nice car. Imagine if we had an Homologation Cup 1990's between the following cars:
1998-toyota-gt-one-road-version-ts020-2.jpg

That Toyota GT-One appears in GT2 and GT3, but unfortunately, not in GT4. We need the road version in GT7.
98LeMans24_jb_0013.jpg

And it would be an nice addition if we have the road version, plus the 3 liveries of 1998 season. 4 are better than 1! :D

Nice car. Imagine if we had an Homologation Cup 1990's between the following cars:
1998-toyota-gt-one-road-version-ts020-2.jpg

That Toyota GT-One appears in GT2 and GT3, but unfortunately, not in GT4. We need the road version in GT7.
98LeMans24_jb_0013.jpg

And it would be an nice addition if we have the road version, plus the 3 liveries of 1998 season. 4 are better than 1! :D
How about a cup between a bunch of homologation specials from the nineties? Toyota GT-One Road Car, Nissan R390 (Bring back the short tail!), Porsche 911 GT1, Mercedes CLK-GTR, Dauer 962 Le Mans (I don't think the Schuppan is actually a homologation special), any more I'm missing?

How about a cup between a bunch of homologation specials from the nineties? Toyota GT-One Road Car, Nissan R390 (Bring back the short tail!), Porsche 911 GT1, Mercedes CLK-GTR, Dauer 962 Le Mans (I don't think the Schuppan is actually a homologation special), any more I'm missing?

McLaren F1 GTR, and Panoz Esperante GTR-1

It's just ridiculous how this can be road legal. Voted.

Borderline cheating! No manufacturer had any car that could compete with the McLaren F1 in the GT-1 class, so they made road-legal LMPs and "sold" them to the "public" (I don't think a single GT-1 homologation car was ever actually sold)

I don't think a single GT-1 homologation car was ever actually sold
Actually they were. Only 2 GT-ONE's were built but I don't know if any of them were actually sold. Meanwhile some McLaren F1 GTR's were converted into road legal versions and sold to the public, alongside the homologation GT of which 2 were sold to the public. For the 911 GT1, 2 993 versions were sold while 20 996 versions were sold as well. The you have the CLK GTR, of which 25 were sold (with the Sultan of Brunei being one of the most notable owners).

Well the R390 was never intended to be sold as such, instead I believe they stored it at their Zama factory museum with the rest of the Nissan heritage collection.

Kind of defeats the purpose of homologation, though, doesn't it? Violating the spirit of the rules never ends well... see Group B for example: manufacturers made purpose-built race cars, half-heartedly detuned them for homologation (not to mention fudging or outright cheating on the number of homologation specimens), and then turned them back into race cars. Audi protested (to no avail) that it was cheating, that the quattro was the only honest Group B car and suffered for it, but their competitors kept treating Group B as a silhouette racing class and winning

Actually they were. Only 2 GT-ONE's were built but I don't know if any of them were actually sold. Meanwhile some McLaren F1 GTR's were converted into road legal versions and sold to the public, alongside the homologation GT of which 2 were sold to the public. For the 911 GT1, 2 993 versions were sold while 20 996 versions were sold as well. The you have the CLK GTR, of which 25 were sold (with the Sultan of Brunei being one of the most notable owners).

Do you have a source on the two GT-One's being built?

I've seen the chassis list somewhere and only the one road car was built.

Also in this context, a road-converted F1 GTR would be the reverse of a homologation special really. Most were sold first as racing cars and then converted afterwards when their racing life was over. With a sadly large amount of them painted orange so that people think they're LM's.

McLaren F1 GTR, and Panoz Esperante GTR-1

Well the F1 would actually be the GT, the longtail roadcar. As it was, the homologation car for the original GTR was just the normal F1 roadcar. The LM wasn't a homologation special, just a celebration special because of the results of Le Mans in 1995.

FWIW, there is no short tailed R390 anymore either, sadly it was cannibalised and the spare parts were used to support the race effort in 1998. Only the long tailed blue car exists in Nissan's possession. Never believe what Wikipedia or various other sites tell you about either one of them being sold to a private collector, nor the BHP figure being higher than 350. All performance data is null and void too because I don't believe either road car was ever tested by anyone except perhaps Nissan themselves in private.

"The road car equivalent does not have to bear the same regulations as the race car and boasts a top speed of over 420 km/h, making it one of the fastest road cars in the world, and by far the world's fastest Toyota. However, despite the car being legal on the road, it is not mass-produced, having a production of only 2 for homologation reasons."

Source

"The road car equivalent does not have to bear the same regulations as the race car and boasts a top speed of over 420 km/h, making it one of the fastest road cars in the world, and by far the world's fastest Toyota. However, despite the car being legal on the road, it is not mass-produced, having a production of only 2 for homologation reasons."

Source

That's not a source though is it? That's Wikipedia fully editable by absolutely anyone to include absolutely anything and they're well known for not really checking the authenticity of their car pages.

The performance data for the road car is all made up nonsense, note how 'citation needed' appears next to nearly all of the information.

The only reference link at the bottom to the performance data of the road car doesn't work either. It's clearly fiction.

That passage that you've quoted also has no reference whatsoever so I'd suggest that someone has edited the page to include that text. The fact that it mentions the top speed which has, to my knowledge, never been tested is proof enough that it's made up. If Toyota had allowed the top speed to be tested anywhere you'd assume there'd be available proof on the internet, there aren't many places in the world where you can achieve a result of over 420 km/h, Ehra-Lessien is one however again I think had Toyota been allowed to test it there it'd be major news. I also fully expect they'd have a more exact figure that simply 'over 420'.

For what it's worth, my knowledge that the short-tailed R390 road car was cannibalised came straight from TWR engineers who worked on the cars in period.

I've seen the chassis list somewhere and only the one road car was built.

Also in this context, a road-converted F1 GTR would be the reverse of a homologation special really. Most were sold first as racing cars and then converted afterwards when their racing life was over. With a sadly large amount of them painted orange so that people think they're LM's.

Well the F1 would actually be the GT, the longtail roadcar. As it was, the homologation car for the original GTR was just the normal F1 roadcar. The LM wasn't a homologation special, just a celebration special because of the results of Le Mans in 1995.

FWIW, there is no short tailed R390 anymore either, sadly it was cannibalised and the spare parts were used to support the race effort in 1998. Only the long tailed blue car exists in Nissan's possession. Never believe what Wikipedia or various other sites tell you about either one of them being sold to a private collector, nor the BHP figure being higher than 350. All performance data is null and void too because I don't believe either road car was ever tested by anyone except perhaps Nissan themselves in private.
That's not a source though is it? That's Wikipedia fully editable by absolutely anyone to include absolutely anything and they're well known for not really checking the authenticity of their car pages.

The performance data for the road car is all made up nonsense, note how 'citation needed' appears next to nearly all of the information.

The only reference link at the bottom to the performance data of the road car doesn't work either. It's clearly fiction.

That passage that you've quoted also has no reference whatsoever so I'd suggest that someone has edited the page to include that text. The fact that it mentions the top speed which has, to my knowledge, never been tested is proof enough that it's made up. If Toyota had allowed the top speed to be tested anywhere you'd assume there'd be available proof on the internet, there aren't many places in the world where you can achieve a result of over 420 km/h, Ehra-Lessien is one however again I think had Toyota been allowed to test it there it'd be major news. I also fully expect they'd have a more exact figure that simply 'over 420'.

For what it's worth, my knowledge that the short-tailed R390 road car was cannibalised came straight from TWR engineers who worked on the cars in period.
I hope that you see the irony of telling people not to trust Wikipedia or websites as they're not proper sources while passing over wholly unreferenced information yourself...

Unless people have a reason to think otherwise, a guy on GTPlanet who says he once spoke to some TWR engineers is no different in terms of credibility than the randoms who contribute to Wikipedia.

I hope that you see the irony of telling people not to trust Wikipedia or websites as they're not proper sources while passing over wholly unreferenced information yourself...

Unless people have a reason to think otherwise, a guy on GTPlanet who says he once spoke to some TWR engineers is no different in terms of credibility than the randoms who contribute to Wikipedia.

Whilst i agree about the irony of my posting, it doesn't dilute the fact that the performance figures are made up nonsense and thus shouldn't be included or thought of by anyone as anything other than that.

Whether or not people choose to believe me about the R390 is up to them but don't believe this rubbish about the GT-One when it's so obviously untrue.

Back