• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 175 comments

RACECAR

Owner/Promoter/Organizer/Driver/ETC
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
According to Speed TV, a "Significant Announcement" will be made Tuesday and there will be a live special edition of "Speed Center" covering that announcement at 8:00 PM eastern. It will similtaneously be streamed on Speedtv.com as well.

Since I have no idea what this partains to either Motorsports wise, I haven't given this thread a prefix. I do wonder what it is though.

Last edited:
According to Speed TV, a "Significant Announcement" will be made Tuesday and there will be a live special edition of "Speed Center" covering that announcement at 8:00 PM eastern. It will similtaneously be streamed on Speedtv.com as well.

Since I have no idea what this partains to either Motorsports wise, I haven't given this thread a prefix. I do wonder what it is though.

Not an F1 fan? During the broadcast of the Malaysian GP they said it pertains to the Austin Texas circuit, and consequently F1.

I work at the time so I won't get to catch it but wanted to set up my DVR to record it, but right now the program guide has some truck thing listed at that time instead of Speed Center.

I'm going to guess something pertaining to naming rights for either the track or GP.

I was guessing that another series would be racing there or something, and that was going to be announced.

Either way, can't wait for the announcement!

I was guessing that another series would be racing there or something, and that was going to be announced.

Either way, can't wait for the announcement!

Could be, but I doubt they would mention the announcement on an F1 broadcast if it was another series though.

It's deifnately about Austin, that's for sure. I reckon it's a case of securing another major motorsport event, though I don't know which one. Bernie wouldn't be impressed if Indycar raced there; you can bet the contract with FOM guarantees that so long as Formula 1 races at Austin, it will be the only open-wheel series to do so. MotoGP is another possibility, but there are already two races Stateside (unless they've managed to steal the event away from Laguna Seca and/or Indianapolis). I suppose they could have the Le Mans Series and GT racing coming by.

It wouldn't be surprising if ALMS decided to use the track. I recently read they were thinking about coming back to Houston. Going to the new track in Austin would make more sense.

I don't believe the track is only going to be used once a year though.

Not an F1 fan? During the broadcast of the Malaysian GP they said it pertains to the Austin Texas circuit, and consequently F1.

Exactly what does that have to do with this? I didn't catch the F1 race at Sepang so no, I didn't relize it was specifically an F1 announcement. Would be nice if you didn't judge me like that.

It wouldn't be surprising if ALMS decided to use the track.
I can see ALMS, GT1, WTCC and MotoGP. It wouldn't surprise me if the annoucement was something along the lines of a week-long motorsports festival at the circuit, culminating in the Grand Prix.

I can see ALMS, GT1, WTCC and MotoGP. It wouldn't surprise me if the annoucement was something along the lines of a week-long motorsports festival at the circuit, culminating in the Grand Prix.

It's difficult to guage if the announcement is about a event which take place this year, or a event that will take place next year. For racing series such as ALMS or MotorGP (as they are already stateside at 2 points in the year) they could probably insert a extra date, but WTCC, GT1 are already fully booked in terms of circuits.

GT1 WC had been rumoured to be visiting America within the coming years, but I have the feeling it'll be next year and is more likely to be Laguna Seca if anywhere. Will be interesting to see what the announcement is anyway.

Well, re-reading the thread, it's apparently specifically about Formula 1 (and if any other series were to race there, they probably won't race there until 2013 so that Formula 1 gets first bite at the apple).

We also know that SPEED is making a special broadcast of "Speed Centre" just for the announcement - so it's obviously going to be something big. Bigger than the announcement of a naming rights sponsor. We don't get it in Australia, but "Speed Centre" is clearly a motorsports-themed show with analysis of motorsports events, so I don't see how a new naming rights sponsor is going to justify one hour of analysis.

Also, the "Speed Centre" website shows that the next episode is on Monday night, not Tuesday. So it may have meant Tuesday local time for the Red Bull and F1 feeds because they're not based in America.

Speed Center has announced news items in the past, and they could very well have an episode outside of their normal time slot to announce something.

I'm as interested as everybody else about this announcement. This could be about ANYTHING. Using the context of "significant" announcement means this deal has to bear some serious weight. My best guess would have to be that it may involve something involving the status of the race track or maybe news on the actual race at the track.

Or... it could be some just-for-fun news like... NASCAR's Chase for the Cup replacing Loudon with a race around the new F1 track. Maybe the news could be that FIA GT1 World Championship, the WTCC, or maybe even the Le Mans Series (not just the ALMS) would race this on the same weekend or in separate weekends. I am just as interested as everybody else about this news regarding the F1 track 3-6 hours west of Houston.

Bee
Maybe USF1 is starting all over again.. *shudder*
They can't. USF1 is banned from competing in any FIA-sanctioned event.

Hopefully something about a U.S. owned/based F1 team that will debut in Austin next year.
You can't debut mid-season - unless Austin is the first race. But the annoucement apparently has something to do with the circuit so it's unlikely to be a team.

Teams are not allowed to debut mid season. Simple as.
It could be a team looking to join for the beginning of 2012, but I find that very unlikely unless they've been working on it in secret for some time now. Otherwise, they just wouldn't have time to put an entry together, and the FIA would likely reject them.

Perhaps they are announcing the name for the Austin track? Has anyone speculated this yet?
Why would SPEED dedicate an entire special episode of "Speed Centre" to the name of the Austin circuit? India's Jaypee Group announced the name of their circuit as Buddh International, and it didn't even make headlines.

Why would SPEED dedicate an entire special episode of "Speed Centre" to the name of the Austin circuit? India's Jaypee Group announced the name of their circuit as Buddh International, and it didn't even make headlines.

I haven't read anywhere that it will be a full hour.

Chances are it will be like ESPN(US Version) does with SportsCenter when there is a special announcement, they will break in with "SportsCenter Special Report". It's never a whole 1 hour episode and usually is just the announcement and if it's a big one a minute or two of commentary than back to the normal programming.

(No clue if other versions of ESPN do the same thing).

I wish they'd get on with it instead of this ass-kissing.

EDIT: Circuit of the Americas? :odd:

"Circuit of the Americas"... hmm. Not certain and the "welcome CoTA" chant fell completely flat.

Edit...
Red really wants us to like CoTA doesn't he :lol:

Back