Track choices

• Thread starter SmokeyMR2
  • 23 comments

Would you prefer to see tracks that promote more overtaking?

• Total voters
Ireland
County Cork
With the latest possible leak about Laguna Seca coming to GTS I wondered why PD seem to like hard to overtake tracks. Nurburgring GP is a procession mainly whereas Hockeinheim is much better for overtaking. The same goes for Laguna Seca with COTA been a a better track for overtaking too and although I love Brands Hatch, Silverstone would again be so much better for overtakes. I'm sure there's plenty of racers who could give even more examples but it does seem strange how they prefer the harder to overtake tracks.

I know the slipstream/dirty air is going to be revised as Tidgney said which will help overtakes at least. Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't easier to overtake tracks create better racing?

I always race on slipstream on "low" instead of "real" on lobbies and its miles better. On the straights you get actual slipstream speed increase and helps a lot to overtake.
Slipstream on "real" doesnt help at all on straights, has barely any effect... and still you get so much dirty air on corners. Its a mess.

I always race on slipstream on "low" instead of "real" on lobbies and its miles better. On the straights you get actual slipstream speed increase and helps a lot to overtake.
Slipstream on "real" doesnt help at all on straights, has barely any effect... and still you get so much dirty air on corners. Its a mess.

I might actually have to give that a shot in my weekly lobby. I've mostly had it set to Real.

But then it's pretty unrealistic IMO.

As far as tracks go, plenty of opportunities all around, just have to make it work. Requires a bit of patience by both the passer and the one being passed.

But then it's pretty unrealistic IMO.

As far as tracks go, plenty of opportunities all around, just have to make it work. Requires a bit of patience by both the passer and the one being passed.
You say its unrealistic just because its not the word "real" ?
For me on "real" is unrealistic because it has almost no draft effect, it's useless.
In real life it's not like that

For me on "real" is unrealistic because it has almost no draft effect, it's useless.
So they applied the wrong term for it? I mean, the way it ironically works.

IMO it's not supposed to be easy to pass other cars. It can take many drivers in real racing multiple laps to size up the racer in front of them. Learning where your faster than someone else and then utilizing that information to make a clean pass.
It should never be as simple as just grabbing someone's slipstream from far away and flying on past them.
It should take a good amount of time to pass someone who is just as equally as fast or faster than yourself.
This is why my lobby's are always set on real.

According to the recent tour of PD, they have track/tarmac surface roughness data but do not use it. This would make picking the right tire compound more interesting and real as well. Silverstone is an abrasive tarmac that eats softs. But so hard to find grip that teams really need to think strategy.

temperature, fuel weight, surface roughness, compounds, slip stream, tuning, it all needs to be in the game. Let’s face it, it won’t be long and most all daily drivers are going to be A and Bs. Guys are getting better by the hour. Make this Sim more of a strategic challenge.

Not every track will please everyone. But that's why PD should include as many tracks as possible. Obviously excluding the imitation rallycross tracks, which PD acknowledge as useless given their ommission from sport mode and GT League.

Something thats also overlooked is that there's more overtaking potential in lower grip N class cars as well. Not every track will be good for the aerodynamic-heavy group 2 and group 3, especially with modelling of dirty air.

Give us more of what they have been doing more real world tracks, please. More real world racecars, please.
I dunno, I put don’t care. Some races I have had which many people would call a procession were quite intense from the drivers seat. Real racing is an even matchup, a psychological as well as physical battle.
I LOVE Nurb GP. Unpopular opinion, I know, but I also love intense tire wear, because it can be an equalizer, maybe the first half of the race not much happens but then late a person can create opportunities.
Sometimes you can’t just get into slipstream on a straight, pull even into braking, and take an inside...Sometimes it might be a move that means you are able to just compromise the lead cars line, which then you can parlay into a better position through the next corner or two...
Plus, what about defense? Defense is just as much fun as overtaking imo.
I agree with the comment above that people are improving constantly in game. I imagine that’s by PD intent.
Sometimes a great race might look quite boring on replay, but that doesn’t mean people were not shaking a bit afterwards from adrenaline.
I dunno, I think that there’s still a mentality from some at some levels that racing means lunging every chance they get.

So they applied the wrong term for it? I mean, the way it ironically works.
No I think they got the calculations wrong.
Look at F1 onboards, the slipstream effect is very noticable.
IMO it's not supposed to be easy to pass other cars. It can take many drivers in real racing multiple laps to size up the racer in front of them. Learning where your faster than someone else and then utilizing that information to make a clean pass.
It should never be as simple as just grabbing someone's slipstream from far away and flying on past them.
It should take a good amount of time to pass someone who is just as equally as fast or faster than yourself.
This is why my lobby's are always set on real.
I run a lot of one make races, equal cars. The slipstream is ridiclously low I think, I maintain that the effect on "real" is too low

Uhh thats because slipstream effect doesnt really help in real life too. Slipstream set anything different then real feels like racing against the bots in NFS Underground. People behind you will catch up no matter how good you drive.

Hopefully the aero changes Tidgney has mentioned will make a difference, as it is the dirty air that is the real problem. Perfect example of this was Autopolis a couple of weeks ago in the Gr.2 cars where it was pretty much impossible to overtake, was just a follow the leader race where you hoped the guy ahead crashed.

As to Laguna Seca, my fear is that it will be a bit of a carnage track. Lots of corners where people think they will be able to overtake, but in reality have virtually no chance. There will be some great battles, but the majority will find it is like a difficult Big Willow so cars will be flying all over the place.

Aero change might help a little, but tbh I would prefer tracks that are a little more open and easy to pass on, so Silverstone would be my preference. I think COTA might end up being too power dependant, but probably less frustrating races than at Laguna Seca.

Saying that, I am never going to complain about free content, so bring it on Polyphony :)

Uhh thats because slipstream effect doesnt really help in real life too. Slipstream set anything different then real feels like racing against the bots in NFS Underground. People behind you will catch up no matter how good you drive.
Slipstream does help in real life.
And "people catching you no matter how quick you are" is simply not true. I'm talking about slipstream on low. Not on high.

Hopefully the aero changes Tidgney has mentioned will make a difference, as it is the dirty air that is the real problem. Perfect example of this was Autopolis a couple of weeks ago in the Gr.2 cars where it was pretty much impossible to overtake, was just a follow the leader race where you hoped the guy ahead crashed.

As to Laguna Seca, my fear is that it will be a bit of a carnage track. Lots of corners where people think they will be able to overtake, but in reality have virtually no chance. There will be some great battles, but the majority will find it is like a difficult Big Willow so cars will be flying all over the place.

Aero change might help a little, but tbh I would prefer tracks that are a little more open and easy to pass on, so Silverstone would be my preference. I think COTA might end up being too power dependant, but probably less frustrating races than at Laguna Seca.

Saying that, I am never going to complain about free content, so bring it on Polyphony :)

Actually you have hit the nail on the head the bud the dirty air is possibly the main cause of all the issues but as Tidgney said the new version is a lot better so I'm looking forward to that. You make some good points there too as I do love all the content we have but just feel some of the tracks combined with the driver "habits" in GTS and the penalty systems flaws means that unless you get all 20 drivers keeping it clean then carnage can happen, maybe it still would be at easier to overtake tracks, I don't know but it was just my humble opinion. Its also a valid point that COTA could end up suiting the power cars.

Guess there is a lot of mixed feelings regards the tracks but like you say its all free so I'm sure not complaining just wondered what others thought. :)

Slipstream does help in real life.
And "people catching you no matter how quick you are" is simply not true. I'm talking about slipstream on low. Not on high.
Its true. Only when slipstream set to real it feels realistic. Even when set to weak slipstream effect is too much and race loses its competitiveness.

In a race slipstream set to weak do not reward you for good driving. The guy behind you has to be trash to not catch up.

Even if you just drive straight over the final chicane?

I run a lot of one make races, equal cars. The slipstream is ridiclously low I think, I

I don't do many one make races but I don't doubt under certain circumstances with certain cars in a one make race that adjusting the slipstream values might be beneficial.
If every car on the track is 100% equal then I can see it being more fun to set it to low or high for that matter to help keep everyone together. In the end it's all about what you and your members in your lobby view as fun.

Its true. Only when slipstream set to real it feels realistic. Even when set to weak slipstream effect is too much and race loses its competitiveness.

In a race slipstream set to weak do not reward you for good driving. The guy behind you has to be trash to not catch up.
I keep on disagreeing.
I won many races with weak slipstream leaving people behind who were not trash and the other way round.
It does reward you for good driving, the best driver always wins and the slipstream does not decide the winner but it helps to overtake as it should be.
I think its the opposite, with slipstream on real sometimes the driver on pole wins even when not deserving it because its so hard to pass. In real life, slipstream creates passing opportunities you know. Watch F1 onboards dude. Slipstream effect is soooo noticeable.

I keep on disagreeing.
I won many races with weak slipstream leaving people behind who were not trash and the other way round.
It does reward you for good driving, the best driver always wins and the slipstream does not decide the winner but it helps to overtake as it should be.
I think its the opposite, with slipstream on real sometimes the driver on pole wins even when not deserving it because its so hard to pass. In real life, slipstream creates passing opportunities you know. Watch F1 onboards dude. Slipstream effect is soooo noticeable.
Slipstream effect is already noticable on real as it like in real life.

Also slipstream effect is greater on cars with lower drag like f1 cars and lmp1. N class cars benefit less.

Like in most open lobbies people prefer slipstream set to real because its closest setting to real life. Thats why sport mode races always use slipstream set to real disagree or not.

...Watch F1 onboards dude. Slipstream effect is soooo noticeable.

Not to disagree with what you are saying, but just to add some context, in F1 they get additional assistance from battery power and DRS to give you the massive difference in speed. That said, the cars produce a fair bit of drag with the immense downforce so the draft/slipstream will be powerful on its own.

Slipstream effect is already noticable on real as it like in real life.

Also slipstream effect is greater on cars with lower drag like f1 cars and lmp1. N class cars benefit less.

Like in most open lobbies people prefer slipstream set to real because its closest setting to real life. Thats why sport mode races always use slipstream set to real disagree or not.
Well you insist on saying its real because the game says its real, and I insist the game got it wrong (too weak)
Lets agree to disagree...
Not to disagree with what you are saying, but just to add some context, in F1 they get additional assistance from battery power and DRS to give you the massive difference in speed. That said, the cars produce a fair bit of drag with the immense downforce so the draft/slipstream will be powerful on its own.
I knew that. With F1 car in GT Sport on slipstream real, its also weaker than real life IMO

Back