Track corner labels

• Thread starter timf
  • 21 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm sure this must have been asked before, but along with the yellow track apex markers, please can we also have a label showing the names of the corners we're driving around (for tracks that have named-corners. (e.g. Druids at Brands Hatch, or Eau Rouge at Spa. There are many more.))

I know that corner names change over time, and that there are changing track sponsors, and I'm sure there are licensing opportunities to exploit. Please though, in the interests of players, waive these deals (or settle for some small advertising hoarding) and show the corner names to make a massive difference to the track experience of new users. Experienced users can hide the corner-name display when they've learned the track properly, of course.

Personally, I would have such an option turned on all the time, as the thrill of driving around a famous corner is unlikely to leave me. I would be ok to see advertising hoarding around such corners if it would help justify funding this feature (though please, if you can fund it without diluting the spirit of the game, please do)

- tim

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but along with the yellow track apex markers, please can we also have a label showing the names of the corners we're driving around (for tracks that have named-corners. (e.g. Druids at Brands Hatch, or Eau Rouge at Spa. There are many more.))

I know that corner names change over time, and that there are changing track sponsors, and I'm sure there are licensing opportunities to exploit. Please though, in the interests of players, waive these deals (or settle for some small advertising hoarding) and show the corner names to make a massive difference to the track experience of new users. Experienced users can hide the corner-name display when they've learned the track properly, of course.

Personally, I would have such an option turned on all the time, as the thrill of driving around a famous corner is unlikely to leave me. I would be ok to see advertising hoarding around such corners if it would help justify funding this feature (though please, if you can fund it without diluting the spirit of the game, please do)

- tim
GTPlanet is an independent media and forum site. We have no role in the development of nor support for Gran Turismo.

However, if you'd like this to go into our Suggestions/Features forum, there is a greater, non-zero chance that the developers will see it.

- tim
neat idea

Labels on track would bother me, but there is the Cafe, that gets quite some love by PD, not sure if many players feel the same way. There are characters telling you more or less interesting things about many cars.
Why not adding information about tracks there as well. History&evolution, maps of old and recent layouts, specs, corner names and numbers, what races are there in real life,...
For fictional tracks least corner numbers and maybe even names (community given of course), specs and history throughout Gran Turismo would be nice as well

I would also suggest to change that awful yellow markers for a simple cone in the apex as it was in GTSport, at least as an option, its more realistic and not so...augmented realistic. :D
No, simply no. In first the yellow markers are an option, so switch them off if you don't like them.
In second, I guess you remember the cones very well and their impact on your car if you hit them. So no, these cones are not an improvement imo.

Would be a neat idea. Something that could be toggled on/off. There are a lot of other things in this game that should be updated/upgraded first IMO, but if this showed up I wouldn't be upset about it.

Cones do not need to be close to the track
Hey my friend, I'm afraid they need to. We are talking about apex markers, don't we.
I remember an endless number of races when the grid had spread these cones all over the track and you basically had no chance to avoid them, you would hit them and then lift like an F-35 Raptor ( not F-150 Raptor ) ... 🥵

I like this idea. I remember the Nordschleife segment names would appear in the AMG School in GT5. Always thought it was a nice little touch. I still couldn't tell you what the straight on the Nordschleife is called, probably would if the feature was in GT7.

Hey my friend, I'm afraid they need to. We are talking about apex markers, don't we.
I remember an endless number of races when the grid had spread these cones all over the track and you basically had no chance to avoid them, you would hit them and then lift like an F-35 Raptor ( not F-150 Raptor ) ... 🥵
Edit: nevermind...I misunderstood that.

Last edited:
No, simply no. In first the yellow markers are an option, so switch them off if you don't like them.
In second, I guess you remember the cones very well and their impact on your car if you hit them. So no, these cones are not an improvement imo.
I know I can switch them off, thanks. In fact, I never used them, and never intended to kill your beloved markers but I don't know why we can't have both options as I said. Even real local tracks here use cones in that way, it's simply realistic. We are in GT7 not in GTSport anymore, so I could expect a tweak in the physics if I hit them, not a yellow marker that looks like wearing Apple Vision or Black Mirror things, they are really awful, specially if you drive without HUD.

Last edited:
I know I can switch them off, thanks. In fact, I never used them, and never intended to kill your beloved markers but I don't know why we can't have both options as I said. Even real local tracks here use cones in that way, it's simply realistic. We are in GT7 not in GTSport anymore, so I could expect a tweak in the physics if I hit them, not a yellow marker that looks like wearing Apple Vision or Black Mirror things, they are really awful, specially if you drive without HUD.
Ah, Miguel, I apologize for sounding too rude. If cone apex markers is your individual preference that's perfectly ok of course.
I admit I assumed ( and simply wouldn't believe ) you've accepted their rocksolid nature, so it was a bit of a spontaneous outcry on my side and shock.
Because fact, I wouldn't want any feature for visual realism if on the other hand it has such a horrible impact on the driving experience like these cones have. I think though here's consent between us.

Last edited:
I like this idea. I remember the Nordschleife segment names would appear in the AMG School in GT5. Always thought it was a nice little touch. I still couldn't tell you what the straight on the Nordschleife is called, probably would if the feature was in GT7.
Had this feature in mind as well. The names would appear at the bottom of the screen. Very non intrusive. Would be a nice feature as an option that can be turned on or off at will.

To follow on from my original post, I wanted to underscore that this would be an option that could be turned on, probably disabled by default to reduce the cognitive load on new players, however it would make it very easy to discuss tactics with other players, and to gain tips from the real world when learning how to best drive a specific corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record, I posted this in the Suggestions forum too - pretty much the same content

The big thing for me, is the ability to learn the track as I drive it, then take my knowledge of the corner names, and learn more about them in other forums, YouTube videos etc. Right now, I have to try to work out where I am on a circuit, and guess which corner matches up with other track maps, etc. If there was an option to show the corner name as a label (or heads-up-display, etc.) then I wouldn't have to guess.

In the time trial thread we often talk about specific corners. Many users know tracks by heart and can do this effortlessly. Others greatly profit from someone including a labeled track map in their post but if course that is some effort.

This idea here would be a great feature for any racing enthusiast that isn't at the level of knowledge yet where they can rattle off all the corners of Nordschleife in reverse order without breaking a beat.

Back