Track maker Not a track maker?

racerxinifiniteps
I was very excited, having bought GT5 just two days ago. Although for me there is quite a bit lacking in what I want for a SIM in GT5...the track editor sold me....having raced on most road courses in the US I wanted to work on a project to recreate them...but...

The track editor cannot be used to create "actual" circuits, whether they're real or exist in a game. The reason is because you do not have control over the placement and angle of individual corners - you can only alter the settings for overall sectors around the circuit.

Not a slam on GT5, but slightly mis advertising by Sony IMO.

Back of my box says "create your own with course maker"

:yuck:

So what's happening here, other than you restating what we already know?

Nothing misleading. You assumed something that wasn't the case.

Which is not to say we are satisfied with the track maker. All of us want more control and more features.

s2k2k3
Nothing misleading. You assumed something that wasn't the case.

Which is not to say we are satisfied with the track maker. All of us want more control and more features.

👍

The name IS misliading. PD should have called it "Random course generator".

It does create tracks, and those tracks are custom.

If you want to complain about the lack of control, or the lack of features, go ahead. Heck, head over to the wishlist thread and tell the world how it SHOULD be done.

But arguing over the name? Really?

When people read of the inclusion of a course maker, they think of something where a you can create your own layouts, not randomly generated ones. Yes, it "does create tracks, and those tracks are custom", but that's misleading.

Truth is that GT5 has too many of those things. Half-done, below standard functionalities just to make features list larger. PD just can't be defended with statements on the lines of "but it does do them":

Custom tracks maker -> random course generator
NASCAR -> 2 ovals, 16 (or so) stock cars, and that's all. No rules, no technical details, nothing
Over 1000 cars -> including premium/standard duplicates and racing modifications of some premium cars. In that case GT2 might already had 800+ cars
Racing modifications -> on 15 cars
Over 70 tracks -> layouts, many of which are trivial (reverse, no chicane, etc)
Weather -> on 5 or so layouts out of 70
Time changes -> complete night/day cycle on 2 layouts out of 70. Partial night/day cycle on Toscana and course maker themes

etc.

When people read of the inclusion of a course maker, they think of something where a you can create your own layouts, not randomly generated ones. Yes, it "does create tracks, and those tracks are custom", but that's misleading.

Truth is that GT5 has too many of those things. Half-done, below standard functionalities just to make features list larger. PD just can't be defended with statements on the lines of "but it does do them":

Custom tracks maker -> random course generator
NASCAR -> 2 ovals, 16 (or so) stock cars, and that's all. No rules, no technical details, nothing
Over 1000 cars -> including premium/standard duplicates and racing modifications of some premium cars. In that case GT2 might already had 800+ cars
Racing modifications -> on 15 cars
Over 70 tracks -> layouts, many of which are trivial (reverse, no chicane, etc)
Weather -> on 5 or so layouts out of 70
Time changes -> complete night/day cycle on 2 layouts out of 70. Partial night/day cycle on Toscana and course maker themes

etc.

This. 👍👍 Call it complaining but it is accurate. lol. I agree 100 percent.

It would be pretty cool if we could have more control over the course maker.

I would like to have the opportunity to customize what's going on outside the track, so I can choose where the grandstands are, what's in the pitlane, if there is an overpass (like in suzuka).

It would also be cool if we could make the layout of the track by ourselves (a bit like in ModNation Racers).

The name IS misleading. PD should have called it "Random course generator".

When people read of the inclusion of a course maker, they think of something where a you can create your own layouts, not randomly generated ones.

Spot on mate, they really should rename it: Course Generator, maybe the meaning was lost in translation.

👍

Well since this is all old news, a tiny bit of research on your part could have avoided this let down.

Well since this is all old news, a tiny bit of research on your part could have avoided this let down.

Way to talk down to the guy with 1 post for being disappointed and assuming the features could be taken at face value. 👎 👎 I think any reasonable person would be at least a little let down by it. Surely you don't find it adequate?

Way to talk down to the guy with 1 post for being disappointed and assuming the features could be taken at face value. 👎 👎 I think any reasonable person would be at least a little let down by it. Surely you don't find it adequate?

He didn't talk down to him. He simply stated the obvious.

He also didn't say it's adequate. This discussion has nothing to do with it's adequacy. He said a small amount of research would have prevented his disappointment. Which is true.

Those of us who preordered GT5 had no way of knowing what the track maker would be, but generally we were disappointed in the lack of control and features.

But if you buy the game now, many months after release, and then come and whine about something that was widely known before you purchased the game, you surely can't expect symphathy.

He didn't talk down to him. He simply stated the obvious.

He also didn't say it's adequate. This discussion has nothing to do with it's adequacy. He said a small amount of research would have prevented his disappointment. Which is true.

Those of us who preordered GT5 had no way of knowing what the track maker would be, but generally we were disappointed in the lack of control and features.

But if you buy the game now, many months after release, and then come and whine about something that was widely known before you purchased the game, you surely can't expect symphathy.

Yeah the information is out there so that if you go and search on youtube or something, you will see that the track maker is far from what probably any GT fan would expect. But I think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone to expect the course maker to be what we all probably thought it would be before we clicked on it the first time and realized that we had been duped.

So yeah, we could all act superior to the new guy and scoff at him because he didn't bother to research the individual features of a much larger game, or we could be the slightest bit sympathetic to a new community member and maybe just say "yeah it sucks", or nothing at all, instead of coming off like "ha ha, you noob. how did you not know the intricacies of a game that you do not own ?"

I don't know, just bothered me to see that comment.

Calm down chaosstar, no need to make something out of nothing.

Many games can be dissapioning, checking game reviews not for their score but to see the content within can be very helpfull, I know its offensive to you chaosstar but I mean no offense by it.

Last edited:
So yeah, we could all act superior to the new guy and scoff at him because he didn't bother to research the individual features of a much larger game, or we could be the slightest bit sympathetic to a new community member and maybe just say "yeah it sucks", or nothing at all, instead of coming off like "ha ha, you noob. how did you not know the intricacies of a game that you do not own ?"

There's a search button.

There's also threads on the first page of this section that would have pointed it out to him. He could have also posted in one of them instead of making a new thread. Case in point, the one I pointed out earlier.

Course maker does suck.
When I bought the game I was in the same situation as you - was looking forward to that function and then I've seen that it's just random...you can't even make A-B tracks, only circuits.
But you can make masterpieces too!

👍 SHIRAKAWA Akira got it spot on.

And wow, shame on you - bashing on a new guy. He posted in the right section and asked what he did, what's the problem? Some people don't spend 2h a day surfing the net for videogame info, don't generalise.

Course Maker is a bit of an underwhelming feature. When I first read about it, I was like millions of other people and fantasized about recreating real-world tracks and creating my own with tedious detail, but of course we all found out before the game released that this wasn't going to be the case, and it not being the case is and always has been a let-down. It can still come up with some tracks that are enjoyable to drive, but it's basically a matter of lucking into a good one rather than designing it as such.

Sadly, one aspect of Course Maker that goes completely unmentioned (except by me) is that Course Maker tracks are worthless anyway because of another blunder on DP's part - the poor sharing options. One of Forza Motorsport's best features is the online community, with which we have nifty stuff like an online auction house, but also infinitely superior options for sharing our stuff. We can share more photos at once (relative to GT5), we can share car tuning setups (can't even save them in GT5, let alone share them), we can share custom vinyls, we can share custom liveries, and we can share replays (and several of all of these at a single time rather than just one like with Course Maker in GT5). It would be absolutely fantastic if we didn't have to advertise our Course Maker tracks on a message board and then go through the tedious nonsense of exchanging PSN names and friending each other just to get a track, but rather if we could simply browse an online horde of countless Course Maker tracks and download them at will without the need to ever contact anybody. We'd have access to millions of tracks and millions of players would have access to ours.

do you actualy think that it would be possible to have a feature where you could create your own tracks (ie modnation racers)from scratch with GT5 quality graphics? you are a moron, it wouldnt even be possible on the fastest most tricked out PC let alone the PS3.

I'm guessing he hadn't ever been on this forum before getting this game? It stands to reason that he will be posting a couple duplicate threads, not searching first etc. We all did it at first.

Now, I'm seconding R1600's request that this be locked. No need for the bickering.

It would be pretty cool if we could have more control over the course maker.

I would like to have the opportunity to customize what's going on outside the track, so I can choose where the grandstands are, what's in the pitlane, if there is an overpass (like in suzuka).

It would also be cool if we could make the layout of the track by ourselves (a bit like in ModNation Racers).

If you could place the stands yourself, how often would you bother, after the first one? Maybe you'd like to position the trees and the marshal stations as well? Or anything else apart from race?

The course 'generator' (or whatever) is fun, but surely not that much fun??

If you could place the stands yourself, how often would you bother, after the first one? Maybe you'd like to position the trees and the marshal stations as well? Or anything else apart from race?

The course 'generator' (or whatever) is fun, but surely not that much fun??

Actually, those little details have a big impact on the atmosphere of the circuit. A circuit with lots of grandstands can have the feel of being in an arena of sorts, whilst a circuit with an abundance of trees can have the feel of being rural.

do you actualy think that it would be possible to have a feature where you could create your own tracks (ie modnation racers)from scratch with GT5 quality graphics? you are a moron, it wouldnt even be possible on the fastest most tricked out PC let alone the PS3.

I'd think that the ps3 could handle a mode where you could build your own on a provided "map". no need for all the extras on a "custom" map. As far as it stands this mode is completely useless.

was also insanely disappointed in the course maker. bought the game after a nightshift, played it a bit, checked out the features, slept, then back out to work again and in work it dawned on me - 'course maker'... i got super-excited. i started planning out the tracks to mirror the roads in the area where i live, how fast could i do it in a lambo with no speed limits as im limited to driving them at 30mph every day of my life, etc etc, all that kinda stuff. then i got home from work and had my bubble burst when i entered course maker

and i couldnt care less what it looked like - if it was just a plain black track on a sea of green grass, the feeling of turning my local roads into a 'racetrack' would far outweigh the need for quality graphics

doh...

never used the track maker or read any informations about it till today. I had this idea today of creating my little funny curvy mountain road drive everyday to go to work. Man that would be fun if i can hit that street with every car and try to go as fast as possible up and down those corners...

then i read this thread.

:yuck:

Back